Our Story: The First Date

March 2, 2017 · 8 comments

In our engagement announcement, I promised wedding planning coverage.

So you’re gonna get wedding planning coverage!

Before I dive too deep into our wedding venue search, I realize I didn’t cover much about Alex and my relationship on the blog. Why, you ask?

I’ll tell ya.

1. When you already have two jobs, finding time to write a blog can be laughable.
  2. Privacy can be underrated… and it’s a little weird to write blogs about your *~*new boyfriend!*~*
  3. If you’ve been a reader since 2011, you’ll know that covering relationships in a space so public had been a rocky road in the past.

But heck, when it’s from the past, it’s kinda like telling an old love story, right?

So I’m traveling backwards in time to give you a little insight to my relationship with my fiancé. I figure knowing a bit more about Alex will make it a little more fun to read about our wedding plans that way.

That, or you’ll feel like you know entirely too much about Alex. Like the fact that he enjoys wearing socks with 4 holes in them.

Alex and I met through mutual friends. After seeing each other out a few times and getting the 411 from my friend Megan, he turned on the romantic charm by sending me a Facebook message to ask me to get drinks with him.

I still remember showing his messages to my friend Emily and her saying, “Alyssa, his use of emojis… he is perfect for you.”

She was right.

We got drinks in town on a Thursday night. I hadn’t done any research on Alex, so I didn’t really know what to expect, but I was optimistic. It may seem weird to detail that I wore dark jeans, a white top, and beige wedges, but I’m telling you anyway. You’ll know why in a sec.

I walked into Fat Dragon, a restaurant/bar not far from where we each lived at the time. This dude had worn the same outfit as me to our date. I kid you not — a white polo, dark jeans (thank God his were a little looser than mine), and beige desert boots.

I’ve never really been on a first date that makes 3 hours feel like 30 minutes, but that’s what happened. In true form to the matching outfit, it was like he was copying my basic personal facts the whole time (“Oh, I lived in Europe for three years as a kid, too!” “Really? You’re one of three kids? Me too!”) Not to mention my name is Alyssa Halter and his is Alex Hall….

I was cautiously charmed. And I’m not one for mushy stuff, but I’ll never forget the feeling I got after that date that this one was different. We have spoken to each other every day since that date.

Our second date was to L’Opossum, which remains our very favorite Richmond restaurant. It was dead the night we went, but soon after, it got a lot of press, so now Richmond locals book months ahead to get a table. I can’t speak for Alex, but that date was when I knew I was done for.

Or, more likely, it was the next day, when he showed up on my doorstep with a surprise Sugar Shack donut in honor of National Donut Day.

And so it went. Alex got a puppy, which really threw Chloe for a loop. We’ve spent holidays at the James River with his family and on the Albemarle Sound with mine, we’ve completely intermingled our friend groups, and when Alex bought a house in June, I moved in.

We’re doin’ the thang!

And ya know the best part? When I become Mrs. Alex Hall, I don’t even have to change my monogram. *hallelujah hands emoji*

1 Lauren Reiner March 2, 2017 at 3:51 pm

Dawwwwww!! Love this!! I’ve been a faithful reader for years (I know what blog post you are referring to from the past too…mercy, that got dramatic in the comment section LOL) and I’m SO happy for you!!!

2 Cassie March 3, 2017 at 12:17 pm

This is adorable! Congratulations! I totally feel you on the 3 hours feels like 30 minutes thing. For the first few weeks of our time together, my fiance and I were together pretty much every day, and shutting down restaurants each night because we would stay there talking until close. When you know, you know. We also have strangely similar but different last names (Kahl & Kile), so no monogram change for me, but also so close I’m not sure if I’ll change my name as it just sounds like I’m saying my own name with a weird accent. I proposed a hybrid of Kale, but he won’t get behind it. Ha!

3 Georgia Mae March 6, 2017 at 6:39 pm

How CUTE!!! When I first met my fiancé, I also knew something was different. He’s the only person I’ve never had trouble planning future events with, even when we first started dating I felt comfortable inviting him to things that were months away! My last name is Morrison and his is Nguyen. I’m not changing my name though so I don’t have to change my monogram either haha. Not that it would matter as i own nothing monogrammed so…hmmm…I better get on that

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 7, 2017 at 12:26 pm

Hahaha. You’re not kidding! Thanks so much, Lauren!
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Our Story: The First DateMy Profile

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 7, 2017 at 12:27 pm

Haha! I keep telling Alex, “Why take away when you can ADD and just be Halter like me?”… so far, he hasn’t budged. 😉
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Our Story: The First DateMy Profile

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 7, 2017 at 12:29 pm

You know, I didn’t have anything monogrammed until I moved to Richmond. It’s a big trend around here! So don’t feel bad. 😉
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Our Story: The First DateMy Profile

7 Sokphal March 7, 2017 at 12:45 pm

Congrats Alyssa! You look so happy and look forward to reading about wedding planning! I do miss your Bachelor recaps though! 😉 P.S. Where are your barre tights from?

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 27, 2017 at 1:45 pm

Aw, thank you so much. I miss doing them! I wish I had the time to make them happen again. Maybe in the future!

My leggings are from Lululemon, of course. 😉 They are long gone now (these are from a few years ago, but they came out with a new version this past Fall), but you can eBay or poshmark them: https://www.google.com/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=lululemon+mesh+leggings&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8#tbm=shop&q=lululemon+high+times+mesh+leggings&*
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..Our Story: The First DateMy Profile