Funemployment For The Win.

July 18, 2014 · 16 comments

I’ve now had over two months of funemployment. After being laid off, I’ve been keeping myself busy with a myriad of activities.

But I’ve still got a lot to accomplish.

Wait, no. What I need to accomplish is finding a full-time job. But still, I’ve been reflecting on my little adventure. There’s been so much accomplished in so …much… time.

Things I’ve nailed in my (f)unemployment:

1. Doy, becoming Pure Barre certified (see more on that here and here). I’ve been told I’m not allowed to call myself unemployed now that I have a part-time job, but I say as long as I’m stressing over money and not being able to pay bills, I’m unemployed. Barre has been great for me. It gets me out of the house, keeps me busy studying, and helps me meet great people.

10270682_702792473103236_950554256248388165_n

2. Know what else I nailed? 80’s Day at the barre.

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 1.35.16 PM(Do you spy one of my favorite client friends, Brittany? ;))

And by saying I “nailed it,” I mean my wedgie-rific leotard (worn in the miserably wedgie-rific Wicked 10k if you recall that race) unsnapped at my crotch mid-class and I had a really cool show for all the clients in the 8:30 class. YOU’RE WELCOME.I need a raise.

3.  I have successfully abstained from selling my roommate’s dog on Craigslist. I am certain Lilly hates my guts since we spend so much time together, and she has taken to not only barking whenever I am trying to study, talk on the phone, or generally focus on anything, but she also MUST lay on me wherever we are. I love snuggles (and dogs) as much as the next girl, but it’s gotten bad.Her other favorite thing is barking at my door at 5 a.m.

And eating all the Quest bars out of my room. ALL of them. I think I cried a little when she ate a whole box of my beloved Cookies ‘n’ Cream bars, leaving the wrappers strewn around my bedroom floor. If you follow me on Intagram, you’ve already seen this gem from the storm a few days ago:

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 1.39.11 PM

We’re like, really close now.

4. I’ve fit in more trips home to my parents’ in NC than I’ve been able to in years. It’s been absolutely splendid. Since I no longer have my house in VA Beach (sob), my SUP board is there, so I’ve been doing my barre on it. I challenge you to try and get on those tippy toes. It’s harder than it looks.

supbarre

5. Remember my adorable little sunflower I grew from a seedling?

Screen Shot 2014-07-18 at 1.51.44 PM

Yep. Killed it.

Photo on 7-18-14 at 1.51 PM
Looks great, right? Turns out, sunflowers don’t like it when you go out of town for a few days in extreme heat.I guess I should go clean that out.

5. And lastly, I’ve kept my love for stupid teeny bob pop. I’ve been obsessed with Classic for months now, and it still hasn’t gone out of style over here (ha,
stupid puns). And now that I’ve watched the music video and seen how cute the singer is… well… let’s just say my poor Pure Barre clients will be
listening to that same playlist a lot. I’ve tried to keep my bopping to a minimum, but sometimes you just can’t stop the beat.

I’ve now discovered the “I’m Ready” song. I can’t decide if I hate or admire the addition of Spongebob’s voice, but I’m diggin’ the rest of it.

I’ve added one more thing to my unemployment bucket list. I shall learn to do the following flawlessly (thanks to Brit for bringing this video to my attention):

Funemployment for the win!

Now, time to pray the job gods hit me with something sweet. Stat. Or I’m going to become a professional clarinet pole twerker.

1 Amanda @ A Latte Learn July 18, 2014 at 2:38 pm

Oh my, the sunflower gave me a good LOL. I’m interested to see if there is a Pure Barre class in my area–looks fun!
Amanda @ A Latte Learn recently posted..Paris Day 3: Notre Dame, Arc de Triomphe, Musée d’Orsay, Musée du LouvreMy Profile

2 Katie July 18, 2014 at 3:21 pm

Wish I had a place close to be to do a barre class! You look amazing ;)

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 18, 2014 at 4:25 pm

My roommate’s dog almost ended up outside unleashed without a second thought yesterday…it’s bad. I get it. :-/
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Christmas in July @ CrossFit AMRAPMy Profile

4 WorthyStyle July 18, 2014 at 5:49 pm

I LOOOOOVE the I’m Ready song. Especially when it comes on during my AM commute. Wakes me up. Good luck on your continuing job search.
WorthyStyle recently posted..Friday’s Fancies: Summer Nights!My Profile

5 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) July 19, 2014 at 7:06 am

I just killed all our sunflowers too by depriving them of water. I add them to list next to my tomato plants, zucchini plant and cherry tomato plants, too. I’ve clearly accomplished a lot this summer too ;)
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Body After (Second) Baby: Two Months OutMy Profile

6 Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 19, 2014 at 11:19 am

I’m keeping my eyes and ears open for you (especially since I want you to stay in Richmond, haha) and I can’t wait to take another barre class!
Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted..3 Step Meal PlanningMy Profile

7 elizabeth July 21, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Alyssa,

YOU. ARE. NOT. ALONE. haha I moved home from Aspen, CO this May. I had been there for 2years being a ski bum. I figured I needed to find a “real-job” and so my quest began by moving home to vabeach unemployed. You seem to have really high spirits!! I wish I could be more positive. It’s been very tough on me and my moral not having much else going on except working out. I am such a go-go-go type of person so having this much free time is KILLING me. I’m 24 with a college degree and finding a real job is taking FOREVER!!

All the best to you!

I don’t want to resort to coaching field hockey again. I need something FULL TIME! ahhhhhhh

8 elizabeth July 22, 2014 at 1:19 pm

Thanks for the advice!! I’ve looked into quite a few volunteer opportunities to keep me occupied. Next, I need to find some new hobbies like you suggested :)

9 Lauren July 23, 2014 at 10:19 am

“Classic” is a fabulous song! If you like MKTO you should check out their song with Simple Plan (I know, right? LOL)…”Summer Paradise” I think it’s called. Just a fun, pop-y, summer song :)

I will continue to pray that an AWESOME opportunity comes your way :) I’m sure it will!!

No barre studios near me yet :( but I found some great free barre workouts online so I’ve been easing into it that way.