New Discoveries

April 12, 2013 · 32 comments

I’m severely late in the game to my first most recent obsession.

Screen shot 2013-04-10 at 10.20.17 PM
Obsessed, I say. I was hooked two pages in.

Screen shot 2013-04-10 at 10.20.38 PM

And as I mention I’ve started the second book, please take note that I got the collectors edition, complete with faction tattoos. Don’t be shocked if you see me running around with the dauntless symbol on my shoulder blade.

Another new obsession? Fruitive.

This place, located just around the corner from TidalWheel, is amazing. Crazy expensive, yes, but isn’t all food deemed “amazing” crazy expensive these days?

Anyway, I’ve treated myself to lunch there twice since starting my new job. I snagged the Hail to the Kale salad last week and the Power Protein salad today.

Screen shot 2013-04-10 at 10.23.23 PM
Apple carrot ginger dressing. GIMME. A million times over.

And then there’s the whole Polar heart rate monitor watch thing.

Screen shot 2013-04-10 at 10.22.37 PM

I know, I know. Everyone has one of those. But I never really had a desire to use one since I had my super old school Garmin to run with (whose wristband has just about bitten the dust).

Now that I don’t have time to run, my workouts are all spinning for the most part. And I wanted to know what kinda workout I was getting!

It’s pretty exciting. I have never burned less than 500 calories in a 45-minute TidalWheel class. And I’ve burned up to 690 calories in one of them. Killer, right? I now don’t take a class without it.

I love it. I do really miss running, though. The best part of my week was a morning I got up before work and did an 8-miler.

So, new or old, I wanna hear your newest discoveries/obsessions. Let me at ‘em!

1 Kaitlyn April 12, 2013 at 6:15 pm

First, I took a cycle studio class for the first time today and LOVED it! It’s at the DC equivalent of Tidal Wheel (I’d assume), called ZenGo. LOVE.
Second, peanut butter cheerios = best snack ever.

I’m really curious, would you mind sharing (if/when you have time) what a day is like for you at work? I keep imagining that you get to take awesome spin classes all day long but I’m sure it is MUCH more than that..what do you do as the GM? I’m a teacher right now, which I love, but at some point in my life I must have a fitness related job!

2 Laura Price April 12, 2013 at 6:26 pm

My gym is closed for water damage due to a combination of the crazy weather we’ve been having here (5 days of regular rain AND freezing rain – Mother Nature, you’re a doll!) so I needed to find something else to do. Since the weather is so crappy, the sidewalks are a sheet of ice so I decided to spring for an app of body weight exercises (you are your own gym) for my iPad.

First day was today and it’s not messing around – so far so good!

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Oooh, I love me some bodyweight exercises! Just like fitmixer boot camp. :)

4 Georgia Mae April 12, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I WANT ONE OF THOSE WATCHES SO BADLY!!! I just need to bite the bullet and buy one. Sometimes I feel SO hungry on the nights after I’ve done a super hard workout, but I want to know how many calories I’ve actually been torching so I don’t go overboard.
Georgia Mae recently posted..First Night In My New HouseMy Profile

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Seriously. I’m SO hungry when I spin!

6 Emily April 12, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Ahhh! Divergent is one of the best books I’ve read in a LONG time. Wait until you finish it! It totally ends with a cliffhanger so you’ll be starting the sequel ASAP. (:
Congratulations on your new job by the way! I wish we had something similar to that in Southern California!
Emily recently posted..embracing the funkMy Profile

7 Amber K April 12, 2013 at 8:16 pm

Oh my gosh I can not wait to read the final book in the Divergent series! I want to reread the first two right before I read the third. Although, I’m nervous because I’m almost always disappointed by the third book in a trilogy. I think I just get my hopes up too much!

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I’m into the second book, and man, I just can’t stop. And I always feel like the second and third are disappointing, too!

9 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More April 12, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Sounds like you’re liking your new job! So congrats once again! I ran my first 1/2 marathon last Saturday and my newest obsession is trying to keep myself from signing up for one next month… ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday & LockLacesMy Profile

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:14 pm

I remember that feeling all too well!

11 Melissa April 13, 2013 at 1:37 am

Divergent is sooooo good! I actually thought Insurgent was a million times better, you’ll have to let me know if you feel the same way. Not much has happened over on the west coast, but I’m looking forward to trying out running in a week!
Melissa recently posted..Aqua Jogging, a diagnosis, and going back to childhood.My Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

I’m reading Insurgent now. I’m loving it so far, but I’ll report back!

13 Angela @ Health's Angel April 13, 2013 at 10:39 am

I’ve been having the hardest time finding a book that grabs me lately. The past couple that I’ve read have just been “meh.” I have one sitting on my coffee table that I haven’t picked up to finish in weeks. Maybe I should check this series out. I’ve heard nothing but good things from others about it. I’m dying for a good read!

I’ve been going to more spinning classes at my gym recently and I forgot how much I enjoy them. I’m not a runner by any means so I love spinning for a good cardio session. I wish I had one of those watches myself! I’d love hear more about your new job. :)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Rapunzel WannabeMy Profile

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:15 pm

You NEED to snag this book. If it doesn’t grab you, just come to VA and smack me. Promise, you’ll love it. :)

15 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 13, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I’m way late in the game on this one – haven’t even opened divergent yet – and i work in a library! i’ve heard its amazing though
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..Healthier Shepherd’s PieMy Profile

16 Amanda @ A Latte Learn April 13, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I’ve also just started Insurgent! I loved divergent and I’m afraid for the late nights to come because I won’t want to put the book down!
Amanda @ A Latte Learn recently posted..A Big CelebrationMy Profile

17 Mackenzie April 14, 2013 at 9:54 am

I’ve heard that series is really good, which would explain why I’ve been on the waiting list for 3 months at the library!

18 Amy @ Living N Learning April 14, 2013 at 11:09 am

I cannot wait for the third book to come out! I hate waiting to finish a good series.
Amy @ Living N Learning recently posted..Weekly What?My Profile

19 Liz @ iheartvegtables April 15, 2013 at 7:41 am

Any place with a “hail to the kale” salad is a winner in my book ;)
Liz @ iheartvegtables recently posted..Scenes from the WeekendMy Profile

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Word!

21 Dana April 15, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Would you mind sharing info on the Polar watch? I’ve been doing tons of research trying to find some kind of fitness monitor to buy myself – fitbit, nike arm band, jawbone up, etc. It seems like most of them are like fancy pedometers with other interesting features like sleep info. Would this track calories when I’m lifting weights, do you know? Would love to hear what you think about it.

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 15, 2013 at 4:35 pm

Yep! I love it. I only wish it also had GPS for running as well. The fancier models do, but I liked the look of this one, and since I already have a Garmin, I stuck with this one. It tracks calories by heart rate, so it tracks you for whatever you’re doing!

23 Dana April 15, 2013 at 4:47 pm

thank you!

24 Kowa April 15, 2013 at 4:49 pm

YUMM that salad looks good! Have you tried Okinawalife? Its ingredients are based on the Okinawan diet – yum.

25 Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt April 16, 2013 at 2:58 pm

That monitor is so cute! I am in the market for one, but I really want a watch that also has gps on it. I may bite the bullet and spring for a Garmin one… Once my tax return comes in that is :P
Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt recently posted..Disney… Again!My Profile

26 Molly April 16, 2013 at 3:00 pm

I’m currently in about year 2 of my love affair with spinning, so I’m super excited for you! I use a heart-rate monitor every class but it doesn’t have a calorie tracker on it. If you feel comfortable answering this, what range do you like your heart rate to be during spinning? I try to stay over 160 and I don’t get above 180 too often (I’m 24).. but it happens, especially on interval days :) Just wondering if my calorie burn would be similar to yours, or if you have any information regarding the connection between heart rate and calories burned. Thanks for any help you can give me. Congrats on your exciting new life updates!

27 tiffany April 17, 2013 at 12:44 am

I LOVE THE NEW BLOG DESIGN SOOOO MUCH!!!

28 kelsey April 17, 2013 at 9:45 am

Ah! My husband works at Fruitive – I’m a little biased, but I’m OBSESSED! So on his behalf, thanks for the shoutout!
kelsey recently posted..virginia in the springtimeMy Profile

29 Katie April 19, 2013 at 10:23 am

Holy muffins. New obsession just with fruitive menu. Formal request: 9-8 beach day with a fuitive lunch break? Maybe you’ll even convince me to spin. See you in May?

30 Brooke April 22, 2013 at 9:39 am

OMG that dressing!! I love any carrot ginger dressing.. Get in mah belly!
Brooke recently posted..Monday Morning RamblingsMy Profile

31 Nicole May 6, 2013 at 6:54 pm

I have the same Polar watch and I’m obsessed with it too!!
Also, I just tried PB 2 for the first time about a week ago… and I’ve been eating it every day since then! Definitely obsessed at the moment!
Nicole recently posted..Healthy Recipes Ideas to Celebrate Cinco de MayoMy Profile

32 Pamela May 13, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I am almost through Divergent, and I am hooked!! I’ll probably end up downloading the second book tonight. :)
Pamela recently posted..Crockpot Sunday: Bacon Ranch Chicken PastaMy Profile