The New Big Job

March 29, 2013 · 49 comments

I guess it’s time I elaborate on my whereabouts, huh?

2013-03-25 17.39.55

It’s official. I have left my job at the school and am the new Regional Manager for TidalWheel, an young indoor cycling studio company. The Virginia Beach studio is only 6 months old, but I will soon be living part-time in Richmond to open a new location there.

Which is why Colleen is so excited. ;) We’re gonna be neighbors!

2013-03-21 18.56.45

If you are familiar with SoulCycle or Flywheel, you have an idea of what TidalWheel is all about. We offer classes in a dark room with loud, exciting music and elaborate total-body workout moves on a stationary bike.

photo(4)

It really is a kind of exercise you’ve never experienced. So many people who have tried spin (and loved it or hated it) come in to our studio saying “WOW! That is so different. I’ve never done anything like that before!”

photo(5)

At TidalWheel, you are also using dumbbells as you pedal on the bike. You’re doing pushups, you’re adding core moves, and you’re dancing. All while on a spin bike. And those bands come down for our TidalTone classes for an extra core/upper body workout.

TidalWheel classes are the most fun I’ve had working out in a while. You feel like you’re working out in a club, and our instructors make it more of an experience than a workout. Every class is a little different, so you really never know what to expect. You can check out more on the video on our website: www.tidalwheel.com

2013-03-21 18.57.05

You guys all know that I’m a runner at heart. I never really thought running would ever have to compete for my attention with any other workout, but as soon as I tried TidalWheel spin classes, I became addicted. It was running one day, completing a fitmixer boot camp workout the next, and then coming to a TidalWheel class. I soon found myself planning my workouts around these classes. I just love that I get a weight workout in with a serious cardio blast.

2013-03-21 18.57.37

2013-03-21 18.57.47

Now, part of my job is taking a TidalWheel class every day so I know what’s going on in my studio. And every day, I’m sore after class. That says a lot, doesn’t it?

Once I get to Richmond, I will actually be instructing classes as well. I’m pretty pumped.

And a bonus? I get to work with my VBbff Jamie. She’s one of our instructors at TidalWheel!

vday ride
There we are with Eric, another one of our TidalWheel instructors, on the day of our Valentine ride.

2013-03-16 12.14.08
Our owners, Mike and Ryan, with Jenna, one of our staffers. We partnered with The Simply Bar at the Shamrock Expo!

2013-03-17 16.39.25

So, this is what I have had my hands filled with for the past few weeks. I’m a very busy bee, and I haven’t really had a life outside of work just yet.

If you’re ever in the Virginia Beach (or Richmond soon!) area, come check out TidalWheel. If you mention you know me and are a Life of bLyss reader, you may get a deal on your first ride. ;)

1 Sky @ The Blonde In Black March 29, 2013 at 10:21 am

Congrats on your awesome new job!! I hated the one spin class that I took, but I think I would give TidalWheel a try! I’m also glad to see a new post on your blog :)

2 Kaitlyn @Keeping Up with Kaitlyn March 29, 2013 at 10:46 am

Congrats on you new job!! This place sounds really awesome! But i assume it’s not for a beginner cycler since involves so much else, right??
Kaitlyn @Keeping Up with Kaitlyn recently posted..Sponsor Me!!!My Profile

3 Clare @ Fitting It All In March 29, 2013 at 10:59 am

CONGRATS!!! Considering I’m going to be in virginia and my BF is likely going to be in virginia beach, I expect I’ll be hitting you up soon!!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..Five Things Friday 3.29.13My Profile

4 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 29, 2013 at 11:21 am

Congrats on the new job! Sounds fun and exciting – can’t wait to see where this new journey takes you!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday & An Awful Race PhotoMy Profile

5 Lindsay March 29, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Congrats!! So exciting :D

6 Alyssa March 29, 2013 at 12:46 pm

Congrats! I’m running a half in Virginia beach in September so ill definitely be checking out tidal wheel :)
Alyssa recently posted..Jump To It WorkoutMy Profile

7 Hollie@lolzthatswim March 29, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I did see that at the expo and wondered what it was. Wish I would have known you were there! GAH. Anyways, I’m really glad it’s working out and you are enjoying it so much. After all, that is one of the most important parts right?
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Blogging about BloggingMy Profile

8 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 29, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Congratulations!!! What a dream to find a fun job like this, you totally deserve it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Reading Frenzy!My Profile

9 Melissa March 29, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Congratulations! I wish there was something like TidalWheel in the Portland area. That’s awesome that you get to do it every day!
Melissa recently posted..The Silver LiningMy Profile

10 Allison March 29, 2013 at 2:13 pm

Yay! Congratulations! What a fun job :)
Allison recently posted..Shakeology & A Nice Change of PaceMy Profile

11 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 29, 2013 at 5:18 pm

YAYY!! I’m so happy about this and I cannot WAIT to try my first TidalWheel class! More importantly, I cannot wait until we’re in the same plaaaace!! xoxox
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..I’m Getting Paid for This?My Profile

12 Julie @ There and Back Again March 29, 2013 at 6:35 pm

That is RAD! Congrats on the new job, especially doing something you’re so passionate about! My friends and I come up to VB from the OBX for hot yoga sometimes (orrrr, you know, to go to Target and TJ’s) – maybe we’ll have to check this place out!
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Double Chocolate Chip MuffinsMy Profile

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 29, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Very cool! If I lived anywhere near you, I’d definitely want to try this out. Sounds like a lot of fun!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Italian Baked Chicken and PastinaMy Profile

14 Brooke @ Running In Heels March 29, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Congrats on the new job!! So excited for you and I want to try this!!!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Exciting News and I Finally Fulfilled My CravingMy Profile

15 Renae @ MissFit Mixed Chick March 29, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Saweeeett! I wish I could get a job that would let me workout everyday!

I actually tried a spin class on a whim…..and guess what….I loved it. I didn’t think I would actually last the entire class, but I did! It was sooo awesome. I took it at Gold’s gym and they actually have the lights off too and have loud music. I couldn’t imagine taking a spin class without the either two.

16 Amber K March 29, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Congrats on the new job! I had heard of SoulCycle before, but didn’t really understand what would be so cool about it. But now that you’ve actually explained what goes on…it does sound sort of fun. How crazy is that?

17 christina March 29, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I have crushes on both you and J. Yes, I called her J.
christina recently posted..The Friday Five 3.29.13My Profile

18 Sana March 29, 2013 at 11:02 pm

So awesome! I have been loving spin only studios! Well worth the $$!

19 Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner March 29, 2013 at 11:11 pm

I’ll look for you in Richmond!
Katherine @ Neon Blonde Runner recently posted..5 Friday FavoritesMy Profile

20 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 30, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Congrats Alyssa! This looks like such a cool place and it sounds like an awesome job!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Easter BreakMy Profile

21 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny March 30, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I definitely want to try one of these classes! More motivation to come back to Virgina Beach for a vacation this summer!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..Sweet Potato, Apple, and Chicken Sausage CasseroleMy Profile

22 Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 30, 2013 at 3:29 pm

So in other words what you’re saying is IF I come to VaBeach in the fall to run the Rock N Roll race, I get to take one of these classes with you? Awesome. ;)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Saturday SharesMy Profile

23 (Un)intentional Happenings March 30, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Congratulations! This sounds awesome. I love spin class so I can’t imagine how much I’d love this. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
(Un)intentional Happenings recently posted..CurvesMy Profile

24 Jamie March 30, 2013 at 9:08 pm
25 Liz @ iheartvegtables March 31, 2013 at 9:55 am

You’ll be in Richmond, part time?! Can I pleeeeease hang out with you and Colleen??? :)

Congrats on the new job! I hope it’s awesome!
Liz @ iheartvegtables recently posted..Vegetable Minestrone SoupMy Profile

26 Holly March 31, 2013 at 8:00 pm

CONGRATS pretty lady!! Wish I was closer to attend your class.
Holly recently posted..Here Comes Peter Cotton TailMy Profile

27 Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt March 31, 2013 at 11:41 pm

Congrats on the new job!!! That sounds right up my alley… I often find myself dancing while I am running around my neighborhood… and also when I am cross-training at the gym… probably looking ridiculous haha! How great it would be to do it while cycling! Wish we had that near me!
Britt @ Fit Fit Britt Britt recently posted..Happy Easter!!!My Profile

28 Brandi April 1, 2013 at 10:47 pm

This sounds so fun! I live in Virginia Beach and would love to try one of these classes. I need to look it up!

29 Haughty by Nature April 2, 2013 at 8:03 am

I’m so excited that I have yet another reason to venture to civilization! And I can attest to TidalWheel’s results because my cousin Royar looks a-m-a-z-i-n-g after only a short amount of time! (I meant even more amazing than she already did. Obviously.)
Haughty by Nature recently posted..Follow Your ArrowMy Profile

30 what katie's baking April 7, 2013 at 10:43 pm

congrats, alyssa! i was so excited to see this on instagram! :)

31 Sarah April 8, 2013 at 9:06 am

Hey Alyssa,

Many congratulations on your new job, It sounds like the perfect match for you.

All the very best for the future!

Sarah :-)

32 Karla @ myhighonlife April 8, 2013 at 11:40 am

This is AWESOME! So proud of you girl and can’t wait to hear more about the happenings when it all settles down more. Really wish I lived down there so I could try it out!
You rock =)

33 Gina @ LifetotheFdegree April 10, 2013 at 6:46 am

What a great opportunity for you! Congratulations. I can’t wait to hear how it’s going!
Gina @ LifetotheFdegree recently posted..Author’s Craft for WritingMy Profile

34 Amanda April 10, 2013 at 11:20 am

Any idea when Richmond location will open?? I am DYING FOR THIS IN RIC!!!!! And also, where it will be located?!

35 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 13, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Congratulations! This is very cool! How did you find the position?
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday ThingsMy Profile