Susie Homemaker, Check in

February 7, 2013 · 24 comments

Not really. But a little bit.

I don’t know what’s been going on with me lately. For the past few weeks, I’ve been obsessing over all things home-related. Kitchen, bedroom, living room… it all must be perfected!

Nothing is safe.

If you recall, I moved into a fixer-upper, and my dad is in the midst of flipping it. I’ve just been kinda living here in the meantime. It’s nice when your landlord is father dearest, but when rent is late, it’s pretty easy for him to find you. ;)

Anyway, much of my furniture and kitchenware is either from my grandmother or a Walmart necessity buy. Lately, I’ve been acting adult-like and buying things to spruce up the place.

Like a sofa and loveseat set.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 3.44.47 PM

Everybody is a fan.

And allow me to introduce the first addition to my upcoming bedroom makeover:

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 3.43.59 PM

I’m serious when I tell you I’m in love with that nightstand. It’s a refinished antique, and I’m hoping to figure out how to sand/repaint my existing bedroom furniture to match it. Any tips out there are greatly appreciated. I’ve heard I’m supposed to use vaseline to get an antique-y look? Someone educate me.

And I got a lamp that matches the motif from World Market, but it isn’t quite feeling photogenic today.

That’s a lie. I’m just lazy and didn’t photograph it. But I promise, it’s cute.

I finally put together my jewelry holder to match all this ivory nonsense, as well.

Screen shot 2013-02-07 at 8.17.33 AMThe bedroom overhaul hasn’t happened yet because I still have yet to find a comforter I like/have the budget for.

bedding(beautiful Anthropologie bedding)

I love all of these, but since they are all from Anthropologie, I’d have to sell my soul for them. Has anyone seen a thick (it’s gotta be puffy) Anthro-looking comforter of this persuasion lately? Haaaalp.

And as for the kitchen, I got Chloe some new dog bowls.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 3.41.34 PM

AND I FREAKIN’ ORGANIZED AND CLEANED OUT MY PANTRY.

This happens never.

Ever.

But I did it. And you can see stuff now.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 3.42.14 PM

You know, like my absurd amount of Love Grown Foods oat clusters, nut butters, and protein powders.

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 3.44.17 PM

And check out my new iced tea brewer! My house is about to be all UP in Teavana iced blueberry bliss.

I also got some cute glass airtight jars for my fitmixer protein powder that I add to my oatmeal every morning. Because I am a meathead.

Speaking of oatmeal, winna, winna, Gardein dinna, Danielle. Congrats on your Love Grown Foods HOT OATS giveaway win!

[Us vegetarians don't have chicken dinners. Gardein is where it's at.]
Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 9.34.02 AME-mail me your mailing address and the flavor of oat clusters you would like at alyssa[at]lifeofblyss[dot]com.

And just when I start to get worried I’m out-adulting myself, something like this happens backstage:

Screen shot 2013-02-06 at 3.35.17 PM

No, it’s not mine. And yes, I know it doesn’t fit. I just wish you could see the sparkles in the photo.

1 Stephanie February 7, 2013 at 9:00 am

LOVE the stuff from anthropologie! Maybe check out etsy to see if you can find something “anthro inspired” for less?

2 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots February 7, 2013 at 9:36 am

ugh I just love anthro! I bought my comforter online at walmart and was really please with it. Im pretty sure its for a girls room but my boyfriend approved so I got it ha! I love your jewelry holder, I have been wanting to make one of those, did you make it?
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..What is sexy?My Profile

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 7, 2013 at 10:02 am

Actually, I did make the old one I have been using for a few years, but this one was at TJ Maxx a few months ago!

4 Carly @ Snack Therapy February 7, 2013 at 9:50 am

Ahh, those comforters are so pretty. Why does everything gorgeous have to cost a billion dollars? I’m also loving that tea maker. I’m a huge iced tea fan and I can tell that little machine would come in handy!
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..Three on ThursdayMy Profile

5 em @ living & learning February 7, 2013 at 9:56 am

YES i love the anthropologie bedding too, but like you i couldn’t fork over that kind of money for it. BUT, I did find something that was similar and reminded me alot of the style on Groupon a few months ago. I got a 7 piece set for $60 – it was just completely random, but I’m obsessed with & obsessed with the price I paid, so keep your eye out on the “goods” section of Groupon, maybe they’ll have it again!

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 7, 2013 at 10:03 am

WHAAAAAT. I’m so, so jealous! I need to keep an eye peeled.

7 Allison February 7, 2013 at 11:12 am

Girl. I just found your blog. I’m obsessed. I love your outfit. So excited to keep reading!
Allison recently posted..What I Ate in February 2012My Profile

8 katie February 7, 2013 at 11:23 am

Try target for a similar looking comforter set!!!

Love the night stand too, very pretty!
katie recently posted..The Answer Is In There!My Profile

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm

I THINK I found a winner at Macy’s!

GOOD LUCK TODAY!

10 Sarah @pickyrunner February 7, 2013 at 11:38 am

I really wanted a comforter from anthro but I just couldn’t justify the cost. Sometimes it’s just a little too out of reach…I got mine from Serena and Lily which is probably just as expensive but they seem like they lost such a long time. Sometimes they have major sales where last season gets marked way down. I would never know the difference!
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..ConfidenceMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 7, 2013 at 12:51 pm

I’ve never heard of Serena and Lily! Now I need to investigate.

12 Angela February 7, 2013 at 11:38 am

Cute cute cute! Everything…especially the shirt. :) I would check Pinterest for refinishing ideas!
Angela recently posted..Throwback Thursday {take five}My Profile

13 Bailey February 7, 2013 at 1:12 pm

Um so if your nightstand comes up mysteriously missing…in the famous words of shaggy “it wasnt me”

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 7, 2013 at 2:21 pm

I’m sleeping with one eye open, missy.

15 Randilea February 7, 2013 at 2:31 pm

You should to check out West Elm! They have some great comforters that look similar and are cheaper. http://www.westelm.com/shop/bedding/duvet-covers/?cm_type=gnav

16 Amber K February 7, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Sheet sets that feel awesome that aren’t totally expensive do not exist, I swear. Ugh. Being an adult sucks sometimes ;)
Amber K recently posted..From Baby to TweenMy Profile

17 Liz @ iheartvegtables February 8, 2013 at 7:35 am

hahahaha you are too cute! I can’t wait to see what your bedroom ends up looking like!
Liz @ iheartvegtables recently posted..Relay Foods Bounty Box ReviewMy Profile

18 Brooke February 8, 2013 at 8:20 am

That bed stand is beautiful!!

I have been on the hunt for the same type of bedding and all I keep finding is anthropologie DIY look a likes.. I wish I was a whiz with a sewing machine!!
Brooke recently posted..Running In Heels Half Marathon Training PlanMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 8, 2013 at 9:19 am

Me too, man!

20 Angela @ Health's Angel February 8, 2013 at 9:11 am

I’m in a similar predicament. I’ve been lusting over Anthro bedding but my bank account is NOT having it. I’ve been redecorating my apartment here and there for the past few months- it’s so fun to me! My next project is definitely new bedding, so keep us posted if you find anything good. It’s time to get rid of my Target bedspread circa junior year of college…
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..[Current] Diet StaplesMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 8, 2013 at 9:21 am

Mine is WALMART. And while I loooooved it when I bought it, three years later, it’s pretty tired looking. I think I’m gonna go with a Macy’s find! I actually found a few at Penny’s AND Macy’s… check out their websites!

22 kayleigh February 8, 2013 at 10:14 am
23 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples February 8, 2013 at 12:52 pm

your room is going to be so cute! i’ve been on a major white kick lately – i just got a super cute white comforter (from shabby chic) but i’m not sure it’d be fluffy enough for what you’re looking for… love the nightstand! :)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..I’ve Been Meaning to Tell YouMy Profile

24 Tracy February 8, 2013 at 4:05 pm

I thought you posted about a grey and ivory bed. Voila!

(except not that headboard. I like your reclaimed wood plank thing idea)