My Experience with Laser Eye Surgery

February 19, 2013 · 24 comments

Laser eye surgery = complete.

I even made the following video (linked here if you can’t see the embedded video below) the day after my LASIK procedure to fill you all in on how I was feeling/looking:

My thoughts in a nutshell? I’m so glad I did this.

You know, when I first decided I was going to have this done three years ago, I was a little hesitant. Would the money be better spent toward a down payment on a new car I will soon need? Is it really a hardship wearing contacts/glasses? I wasn’t sure.

Then, after getting a desk job and realizing that looking into a computer for almost 8 hours gave me awful dry/burning eyes, I was more encouraged to look into laser eye surgery. And let’s not forget the annoyance of how annoying contacts can get when you’re tired, how big of a pain it is to take them out/put them in for naps, and how they can present a problem if you’re waterskiing, stranded on a desert island, or in the midst of a zombie apocalypse.

I don’t have to worry about ANY of that anymore, and I’m psyched. Come at me, zombies, I’m ready!

photo-2

But not just yet. If the zombies are yielding a light source of any kind, I’d be done for.

On a serious note, I’m now on day 4 of recovery, and I’m feeling pretty good. I need sunglasses in any light, fluorescents are killin’ me, and it still feels like there’s sand or an eyelash in my eye, but my vision is so amazingly improved already.

I’ll soon fill you guys in about the process of LASIK and the good, the bad, and the ugly of the recuperation involved. Feel free to leave me any questions in the comments, and I’ll do my best to cover them. :)

1 Sarah @pickyrunner February 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm

I’m glad it went well for you and I’m sure you’re going to appreciate it a ton later on when you can see on your own!
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..What is Perfection?My Profile

2 Ashley @ Life and Fitness February 19, 2013 at 2:50 pm

I’m so glad everything is going well! It sounds like the surgery is well worth it. I hope to do it one day!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Healthified Muffins!!My Profile

3 Kalley February 19, 2013 at 2:54 pm

I can’t wait to hear about your experience! Mine is scheduled for March 7th. I’m anxious to hear about what to expect and an honest review.

When I had the consultation, I think I got a sneak peak of the “sandy” eyes feeling (when the numbing drops wore off I definitely noticed that). My biggest concern is rubbing my eyes, which makes me especially nervous at night – but I’m guessing they give you something to sleep with? Or recommend a sleep mask? ha. Either way, the only complaint I’ve heard from people is that they waited so long to do it — so I’m psyched.

4 Maggie February 19, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Congrats on getting Lasik! I got it 3 years ago (when I was 24) and now I’m back in glasses. I guess my vision wasn’t done changing even though the eye doctor said it was. I have to use Restasis every day because my eyes are so dry. Are you seeing 20/20 now?

5 Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant February 19, 2013 at 5:42 pm

I’m so pumped for you! I was so hesitant when the hubby got his done but it improves your quality of life- and that’s really worth it’s weight in gold :)
Lauren @ Eat Like An Elephant recently posted..The Diet DilemmaMy Profile

6 Rachel February 19, 2013 at 5:54 pm

I am local to the area and would love to hear more about how you decided on a doctor. Would you recommend your doctor? Thanks!
Rachel recently posted..valentines dayMy Profile

7 Julie @ There and Back Again February 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm

So glad your recovery is going well :) I’ve considered laser eye surgery for a couple years but haven’t gotten close to taking the plunge… I’d love to hear your thoughts/experience of the actual process. That’s the one hump I can’t get over. I have no problem with needles or blood or anything, but putting a laser near my eyes while I have to be AWAKE?! Freaks me out. At least give me some laughing gas, please. What did you think about it? Was it not too terrifying? Btw anyone considering laser eye surgery – DO NOT SEE FINAL DESTINATION 5. Ughhh…..

8 Carly @ Snack Therapy February 19, 2013 at 8:39 pm

AH! How exciting! I am SO jealous. Doctors have told me that I might have something called Keratoconus, which is basically just a thinning cornea. If I do have that, I can’t get laser eye surgery : (. I hoping it’s just a bad case of astigmatism and that I can one day have normal-person eyes.
Carly @ Snack Therapy recently posted..OutsourcingMy Profile

9 Brooke @ Running In Heels February 19, 2013 at 9:20 pm

So happy for you! My Lasik surgery changed my life! And those feelings will be gone before you know it!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Skinny Garlic Mashed Potatoes and I Am the Phil Dunphy of SpeechesMy Profile

10 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns February 20, 2013 at 8:01 am

glad to hear your doing good!!! just curious but is the surgery what’s making you feel like you have sand/an eyelash in your eye?
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..A Little Judgey Are We?My Profile

11 Nicole February 20, 2013 at 10:31 am

Glad your recovery is going well! I was so hesitant about getting it done, but i’m so so so happy I did! The best feeling (well for me) was waking up and being able to read my alarm clock! Haha…

12 Amber K February 20, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Glad to hear you’re doing well!
Amber K recently posted..Two Week RecapMy Profile

13 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples February 21, 2013 at 9:31 am

Yay! So glad everything went good! I just ordered another box of contacts yesterday (ugh lol) so can’t wait to hear your updates! :) I was wondering if it wears off over time – any chance you’ll have to have the surgery again in ten years or something?
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..How to Lose Weight, Get Nominated for an Oscar AND Beat the Oregon TrailMy Profile

14 Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite February 21, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I’m so glad everything went smoothly! Very jellly that you can see without glasses or contacts. Laser eye surgery is officially on my bucket list for lifffe!
Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted..Healthy Eating Plan: LunchMy Profile

15 Georgia Mae February 25, 2013 at 8:14 pm

My contacts never used to bother me until I moved to Texas! Now after a long day of studying, working out, and everything else I CANNOT stop rubbing my eyes. I can’t wait to hear how the experience is for you! Maybe in the future when I’m not a broke college student I can make it happen. haha!
Georgia Mae recently posted..I’ve Gotten Off the Greek Yogurt TrainMy Profile

16 Erica @ Love the Leap February 27, 2013 at 3:46 pm

I’ve always thought about getting Lasik at some point in my life– my eyesight is TERRIBLE. Pretty sure I’m close to being legally blind. I know it’s pretty expensive, so I probably wouldn’t be able to do it anytime soon, but I’m definitely considering it for the future! Thanks for all of the updates– it’s really interesting to read about!
Erica @ Love the Leap recently posted..What’s Getting Me Through LentMy Profile

17 Philip Townsend February 28, 2013 at 11:39 am

It took my mom about 2 months before she fully recovered.

18 Tara July 22, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Both my mom and dad had lasik and 10 years later they say it’s one of the best investments they ever made!