I promised this recipe some time ago.
I’ve made this bread twice now, and every time, I think it gets a little better.
But I guess I’m a little biased.
You see, I’m pretty picky about my breads. I want them to be nice and moist, and some vegan baked goods end up coming out a little dry.
Not this one, I promise. It’s a keeper.
Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Prep time: ~10 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour+ (use the toothpick test)
Yields: 1 8×4 loaf
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp ground allspice
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance (or any other vegan butter alternative)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup white sugar, divided
- 4 browned bananas
- 1/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (I’m sure other non dairy milk will work fine)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 1.5 tsp vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Baking Chips (or any other other vegan chocolate chips)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- Prepare an 8 x 4 inch loaf pan by greasing it with non-stick cooking spray
- Combine milk and vinegar in a small bowl and set aside
- Mash bananas thoroughly
- Combine flour, baking soda, salt, and spice
- Separately, mix together the margarine, brown sugar, and only 1/2 cup of the white sugar. Add the mashed bananas, vanilla, and milk/vinegar mixture
- Combine dry and wet mixtures together and mix well. Add chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into your greased loaf pan
- Mix together remaining white sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of batter for a cinnamon sugar crust (you can obviously also use pre-mixed cinnamon sugar for this)
- Bake for an hour. Once time is up, stick a toothpick in the middle. If any batter sticks to the toothpick, put the bread back in for 5 more minutes.
I was on a hunt for the perfect vegan banana bread recipe a few months ago, and I came across a slew of recipes that called for many obscure ingredients. After studying quite a few, I threw this together, and on my second try, subbed nuts for the chocolate chips. In my opinion, the chocolate chips are the winner. If you’re a nutty person, however, throw in some pecans or walnuts!