Holiday Break

January 3, 2013 · 24 comments

Obviously, I stepped away from my blog for the holidays. It was my first year not working the entire break, and gosh, did it feel good not doing anything work-related for an extended period of time.

A lot of friends, family, and puppy time coupled with some relaxation was good for me. It’s an understatement to say I needed it.

Is it a cliche to say the holiday break made me feel incredibly blessed? I don’t care. It’s the truth.

And to catch you up, I’m giving you a slew of images from my holidays.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.05.00 AM

I posed the puppy cousins in front of the tree.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.26.59 AM

For the first time ever, I made Christmas curls happen all by myself. I swear, practice makes perfect with this stuff.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.05.10 AM

Although I fought a cold most of break, I tried to hide the evidence of my feeling like poop on Christmas Eve.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.27.10 AM

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 10.12.01 AM

I obviously did not get new Christmas socks. I like those old ones too much.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 10.12.10 AM

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 10.13.02 AM

I loved my niece time, as always.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.27.40 AM

I GOT A PADDLE BOARD for Christmas! I’m so excited to put it to use in the waters of Virginia Beach. I’m tempted to throw on my wetsuit and take a risky ride now.

I also plan to coerce Chloe to ride with me. Maybe if I put lots of Greenies on the end of the board? My fellow doggy owners know what I’m talkin’ about.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.26.25 AM

And I maaay have bought myself my first Christmas tree for 75% off on December 30th. Which we proceeded to decorate with a fire and Christmas music on December 30th.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.05.46 AM

Hooray for extended Yuletide!

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.07.01 AM

…followed by our friends Christmas gift exchange and viewing parties of the Hobbit and Les Mis.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.25.36 AM

And let’s not forget my friend KT’s 80s birthday party.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.27.50 AM

That’s a Michael Jackson colorform.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.29.38 AM

And the absolute funniest sounding party blowers I have ever heard (is that what you call them?! I don’t know. TWSS?).

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.29.44 AM

Wait. I got it. Noisemakers. Right?

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.30.09 AM

Obviously, I could not get over it.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.30.26 AM

And then we celebrated the Bachelorism of my friend Jim by ringing in 2013.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 9.05.57 AM

Gosh, it makes my holiday every time Lisa-Marie comes back in town from her year internship in Ohio. I’ve been missing that girl to pieces.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 12.12.28 PM

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 12.12.18 PM

Fun fact: that dress was $25 at some cheapie store in the mall. Who needs pricey designer duds?

DSCN0016

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 12.12.45 PM

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 12.12.02 PM

‘Twas a good start to the new year.

Screen shot 2013-01-03 at 10.13.15 AM

I also participated in what is decidedly the best family portrait of 2012.

1 janetha January 3, 2013 at 1:03 pm

love love love it all

2 Tiffany @ dynamics of happy January 3, 2013 at 1:21 pm

Awesomest Xmas present ever!

Please teach us your smart hair curling ways!!

3 Em @ Living & Learning January 3, 2013 at 1:23 pm

$25 for that dress? WHAT A STEAL! you look gorgeous, as always! Happy 2013!!!

4 Angela @ Health's Angel January 3, 2013 at 1:35 pm

That paddle board is sweet. Trying SUP one day is something I’d love to do!
Your curls look great. I got a brand new flat iron for Christmas, a Chi, and so I’ve been attempting to curl my hair using it. I’m getting there! Although, I feel that I look more like Shirley Temple than anything else…. My hair needs to grow.
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..“Taste the Rainbow”My Profile

5 christina January 3, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Congrats on your paddle board! So awesome. Your hair looks glorious.
christina recently posted..Since We Last Chatted…My Profile

6 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 3, 2013 at 1:50 pm

..love your curls! my hair is long and poker straight – i’d give anything to make it do that! what products do you use to hold the curl (and do u curls w/a straight iron or a curling iron?).. sooo jealous!!♥
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..How to Start Couponing and Clean Eating (At the Same Time!)My Profile

7 Gabby January 3, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Girl! That dress!

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 3, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Love this! looks like you had a great holiday break full of lots of fun, friends and family. Well deserved! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..First Run of 2013!My Profile

9 Gillian January 3, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Lots of puppy/niece adorableness in this post! Looks like a fun few days — happy new year!!
Gillian recently posted..New Years Goals-a-lutionsMy Profile

10 Miranda @ Biting Life January 3, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Ooh I love your hair with the curls! So pretty! :)

11 heather @ run eat play January 3, 2013 at 4:36 pm

Looks like you had a great holiday break! Love the matching jammies and your New Years dress!
heather @ run eat play recently posted..Surgery Fake OutMy Profile

12 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 3, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Fun!! I love your hair … gorgeous! And I’m hoping to buy a Christmas tree on sale, too. Husband and I are going out this weekend to look for one. Fingers crossed we aren’t too late! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Christmas in Florida: My idea of a “white” (sand) Christmas.My Profile

13 Sarah B. January 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I love everything about your holidays! Also, I’m hoping your sickness didn’t last long, because a cold just crept up on me. LOVE your NYE dress! My NYE was super low-key but I spent it with my best friends so no complaints there. =]
Sarah B. recently posted..Paging Captain of the Struggle BusMy Profile

14 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections January 3, 2013 at 7:52 pm

LOVE your New Year’s Eve dress! I almost bought one just like that only in silver once. So stinking cute! Looks like you had a great holiday. Happy New Year!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Zippy Elliptical WorkoutMy Profile

15 Amber K January 3, 2013 at 9:05 pm

The curls look gorgeous! I”m so glad you had such a great break. It’s nice to unplug every once in awhile.
Amber K recently posted..What December Taught MeMy Profile

16 Angela January 4, 2013 at 12:40 am

girl! You are awesome! Sooo many things I love about this post. 1-I love love love that you bought a Christmas tree December 30th. Makes me want to do the same thing. 2-I have that dress in silver, also bought at some cheapy store at the mall for my bachelorette party. Yikes.
Angela recently posted..2012-The Year of ChangesMy Profile

17 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns January 4, 2013 at 9:28 am

looks like you hide the cold well to me!! omg that is so awesome!! i’ve been wanting to try paddleboarding, hope you enjoy it! love the smiling boston terrier :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Your Body Will Thank YouMy Profile

18 Alyssa January 5, 2013 at 2:16 pm

So jealous you got a paddle board Alyssa!!! :)
Alyssa recently posted..Shaking that “Off Balanced” FeelingMy Profile

19 Presley @ Run Pretty January 7, 2013 at 3:59 pm

Your hair makes me want to curse. Not at you, of course, but at myself for letting my mane get totally out of control. I look twenty kinds of redneck right now with these roots and fried ends. I mentioned it today when I was posting and then came across your curls. Off to make an appointment… :)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Post-Baby Body: Month Six UpdateMy Profile