DIY Coconut Body Scrub

January 23, 2013 · 22 comments

Guys, guess what? It’s cold out.

Know how I know? From the 67 people posting about it on my news feed.

Right? I’m so enlightened. Thank God for Facebook.

Anyway, is it just me, or does this cold weather + dry heat = itchy, itchy skin?

Seriously. I have bruises on my legs from trying to scratch them while wearing pants. It’s not a pretty picture over here. I’m a bit of a mess.

I was trying to figure out how to remedy the situation short of living in a tub of vaseline when I realized I was completely out of body scrub. Wah!

Well, I put my DIY skills to the test. I knew there had to be a way to quickly whip something up to scrub my skin and save some money.

cocobodyscrub

Honestly, it’s so easy. It took me less than 10 minutes total, and I use this stuff every other day. I’m also pretty proud of myself for saving dolla billz and reusing a bottle. SO GREEN.

Homemade Body Scrub

Ingredients:

• empty lotion bottle (ideally with 4-5 tbsp of lotion remaining in bottle)
  • sugar (I used vegan cane sugar)
  • vegetable oil (any will do; I used corn oil, but I’d actually recommend olive oil)
  • coconut oil (Trader Joe’s has a winner)

Preparation:

1. Funnel 1/4 cup vegetable oil into almost empty lotion bottle
  2. Follow with 1/3 cup sugar into the lotion/oil mix
  3. Top off mixture with 2 tbsp coconut oil
  4. Shake well. If you have a straw, it can help churn up layers to make them even

Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 9.49.03 AM

IMG_9481

IMG_9482

IMG_9486

I keep the bottle in my shower. My recommendation would be to scrub in the shower, following it up with a thorough lotion session.

Now, hop to it. I want to hear about how silky, smooth, and moisturized your skin feels in this outrageous cold.

1 Angela @ Health's Angel January 23, 2013 at 10:31 am

I use coconut-scented everything, pretty much. It’s my favorite. So this sounds great to me! My skin is crying out for some exfoliation. I don’t know what I’d do without jojoba oil for my face. Love that stuff.
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..[Current] Diet StaplesMy Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Truth: I’ve been using Creamy Coconut body lotion and spray since high school. I have to order it online since it’s unavailable in stores now. I like that no one else that I know uses it. ;)

3 Mollie @Sprinkles of Life January 23, 2013 at 11:03 am

Last fall my friend and I made some homemade coconut body butter. Love it! We made some sugar scrub, too, that I love. I’ll be trying your version next!
Mollie @Sprinkles of Life recently posted..Why are our children still obese?My Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Oooh, I want to try my hand at coconut body butter.

5 Mollie @Sprinkles of Life January 23, 2013 at 1:04 pm

I posted about it back in September. Works well!

6 Sarah @pickyrunner January 23, 2013 at 11:40 am

Wow that’s really cool! I’ve never made anything from scratch but it seems really easy, so it’s totally doable!
Sarah @pickyrunner recently posted..Back Deck: A Boston Brunchers MeetupMy Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 23, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Super easy! I had all these ingredients in my cabinet already.

8 Katie January 23, 2013 at 11:50 am

This sounds amazing! I cannot get enough of coconut body lotion, period, but I find that a lot of them have more of a scent than moisturizing benefits. I’m 100% trying this out ASAP!

9 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 23, 2013 at 11:58 am

Oh I definitely have to try this one!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..WIAW – International FoodsMy Profile

10 Yellow Haired Girl January 23, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I love using homemade scrubs. My alligator skin will thank me (and you, evidently) for this!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..WIAW Party Time!My Profile

11 Angela January 23, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Love anything with trader joes coconut oil. It’s not super expensive either which I love
Angela recently posted..Twenty-FiveMy Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 23, 2013 at 2:39 pm

the glory of TJs!

13 Lindsay January 23, 2013 at 3:12 pm

My mom would totally love this – definitely going to make some for her birthday next month!! :D

14 Christina D January 23, 2013 at 5:55 pm

I whipped this up before my shower this morning & holy cow it’s amazing!! I used olive oil & regular white sugar since its what I had on hand but other than that kept the recipe the same. My legs feel super moisturized after weeks and weeks of dry itchy skin… This will definitely be a staple in my shower from now on!

15 Amber K January 23, 2013 at 8:27 pm

I am definitely an itchy mess in the winter. This looks like a great idea!

16 Amy @ Living N Learning January 23, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Pretty handy you are. How did you come up with the “recipe”? Just curious lol.

Awesome pictures :)
Amy @ Living N Learning recently posted..Weight Loss Wednesday – 1/23/13My Profile

17 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 24, 2013 at 9:21 am

Seriously, I just kinda threw things together that I knew were good for skin. I’ve heard of salt and sugar being used for scrubs, so I searched my cabinets and came up with this concoction. :)

18 Sarah B. January 23, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Love this! It looks like something you’d buy from a crafty boutique. Coincidentally enough, just today I interviewed a dermatologist about winter skin care tips at work and she was raving about coconut oil! It looks like you’re onto something there, lady!
Sarah B. recently posted..It’s the Little ThingsMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 24, 2013 at 9:20 am

Ahhh, I’m so smart! ;)

20 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 23, 2013 at 10:04 pm

i’m about to go take a bath here in a second! it’s going to seem really boring now that i don’t have any of this fun stuff… oh well, bubbles will have to do for now! :) lol
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Alcohol and Memory: Why You Remember The Wrong ThingsMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 24, 2013 at 9:20 am

bubbles are JUST as fun as a scrub. I’m jealous!

22 Alyssa January 24, 2013 at 10:04 am

This is an amazing idea! I need to try it…my shins always get super dry and itchy.
Alyssa recently posted..Wordless WednesdayMy Profile