26 Random Acts of Kindness

December 21, 2012 · 34 comments

I’m participating in the 26 Random Acts of Kindness in honor of the 26 lives lost at Sandy Hook Elementary.

(source)

In trying to come up with ideas to ensure my acts of kindness are indeed random, I made a list of ideas. I was hoping sharing these with you could perhaps make the task seem a little less daunting and encourage you all to participate.

Keep in mind, too: some is always better than none. Why not start with one today and see where it takes you? Share your acts of kindness on Facebook. Maybe it’ll encourage your friends to participate, too.

1. Compliment a stranger
  2. Buy the groceries of the person behind you in line
  3. Leave candy on someone’s windshield
  4. Buy the coffee of the person behind you in line
  5. Volunteer — anywhere — even if you only have an hour to spend
  6. Give up your seat for someone
  7. Give some food to a homeless person
  8. Purchase something from a stranger’s registry
  9. Lend something to someone. Tell them they can keep it.
  10. Cover someone’s bill (if you work somewhere that allows it)
  11. Leave a gift card anywhere — in a classroom, in a drive-through window, in a conference room
  12. Buy lunch for a stranger
  13. Bake cookies for a neighbor you’ve never met
  14. Give up an outlet to someone who needs it (at Starbucks, etc.)
  15. Help a stranger carry things to his or her car
  16. Leave cash in a stranger’s mailbox
  17. Leave a (still packaged) present in a public place
  18. Pay a toll for the person behind you
  19. Leave a “You’re awesome” note on someone’s desk
  20. Give a hot drink to the person ringing the Salvation Army bell
  21. Take flowers to an area nursing home or hospital
  22. Give a gift card to an employee at the store who helps you find something
  23. Pay for a stranger’s gas
  24. Give a gift to your mailman
  25. Take a trip to the dollar store for gifts for any neighborhood kids
  26. Leave extra money in a vending machine

I’m including a note with my 26 Acts of Kindness. I want to not only brighten someone’s day, but I want them to remember the lives lost a week ago today. Hopefully, it will give them a smile, and maybe they will even pay it forward.

Screen shot 2012-12-21 at 8.48.02 AM

Now, go make someone’s day. :) And feel free to share some more act of kindness ideas here in the comments section!

1 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 21, 2012 at 10:23 am

What a great idea! It’s always nice to be able to make someone else’s day a little brighter :)
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Snowpocalypse and A Baked Spaghetti RecipeMy Profile

2 Amanda @ Run Principessa December 21, 2012 at 10:28 am

You are too wonderful. I love the idea of leaving a little note too. I’m sure some pay it forwards will be happening. :)
Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..Christmas Survey!My Profile

3 Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome December 21, 2012 at 10:31 am

What a wonderful idea! I might have to change a few things but I’d like to join in as well! So devastating what happened and anything I can do to help their memories live on, I’m in!
Giselle@myhealthyhappyhome recently posted..Fitness Friday #18 with two winter workoutsMy Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

Definitely do! Those are just some ideas. :)

5 courtney December 21, 2012 at 10:36 am

love this idea! thanks for bringing such positivity! (not just today, but everyday, when checking into your blog brightens my mornings!!! =] )

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

I love that, Courtney! :) <3

7 Becky @ Olives n WIne December 21, 2012 at 11:08 am

What a great idea! You are such a thoughful gal :) Is there a blog that started this?

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Nope! The idea was one of NBC’s Ann Curry. :)

9 Sarah December 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

What a fabulous idea! I love that you’re going out of your way to brighten peoples’ days :)
Sarah recently posted..It’s a beautiful day for some beautiful blendsMy Profile

10 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 21, 2012 at 11:17 am

Love this!!

11 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats December 21, 2012 at 11:20 am

My friend and I are participating in this as well :) Yesterday I gave $5 to a homeless veteran. Today I bought two $5 gift cards for Subway and am hoping to give them out later this afternoon. This list will give me a ton of other ideas :) Thank you!!
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..WIAW #30My Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 21, 2012 at 12:01 pm

No problem! Love that you’re participating, too!

13 Pam December 21, 2012 at 11:40 am

I’m in. 6 down, 20 to go!! A few of my favorite ideas so far:

- Hide $5 in a copy of your favorite childhood book at the library
- Fill the toy machines at grocery stores w/quarters
- Have pizza delivered to your local police or fire station

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 21, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I LOVE these ideas!! Three of my favorite I have heard. Thanks, Pam!

15 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life December 21, 2012 at 12:56 pm

Awww, I love this. I’m gonna try to knock some off today while I’m out! :)
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Funny How That HappensMy Profile

16 Amanda December 21, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Love, love this idea! Someone paid for my mom’s coffee in the drive-thru this morning! Definitely participating. A few additional ideas that I like…
-buy and donate baby clothes to a women’s center
-send a soldier a package
-donate the $1 to charities at the checkout
-give a case of gatorade to a local school sports team
-purchase a ticket for the person behind you at the movies
Amanda recently posted..Subscription BoxesMy Profile

17 Amber K December 21, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I’ve seen this on Facebook and it’s such a great idea. So glad to see so many people doing so many GOOD things.
Amber K recently posted..Panic Won’t Stop MeMy Profile

18 Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian December 22, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I love this idea! There’s nothing better to spread a little happiness than something like a random act of kindness. And the more people do it, the more other people will want to do the same!
Lisa @ Lisa the Vegetarian recently posted..Christmas VacationMy Profile

19 Buffee December 22, 2012 at 8:11 pm

This idea of random acts of kindness is such a good thing!! Another idea is for donate to St. Judes Children’s Hospital! They do such great things for not only the kids but their families! Even a dollar goes a long way! My husband and I paid it forward to St. Jude’s as a way to remember those 26 people who lost their lives. In loving memory of Sandy Hook Elementary School Teachers and Students.

20 Kayla December 22, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I recently saw this idea on Twitter and was inspired, but have had trouble thinking of ideas, so thanks for offering these! I want to try to do it before the year is over. I think I’ll start tomorrow :). Love your blog by the way! I’m hoping to run my first marathon next December.
Kayla recently posted..5 PeopleMy Profile

21 Melissa Johannesen December 23, 2012 at 12:02 am

You are so sweet! My heart goes out to all of the innocent victims. I always feel that you can’t change the past, but you can make the future a brighter day.

22 Sarah December 23, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I too am participating, I think you have great ideas. I got a christmas cactus from trader joes to leave on a stranger’s door, left a box of detergent and change in the laundromat, found inexpensive fleece blankets to give to the homeless, left a pass for the bus at the bus stop. Just some ideas. I too went to the dollar store and stocked up on things :)

23 Cheryl December 24, 2012 at 8:17 am

As a family, we are jumping in on this. What a wonderful idea! And it not only makes someone else feel good, but it feels great to do something random for someone. We are going to do a random act of kindness for 26 days. I think after 26 days we will still do these things. It’s just the right thing to do! Our first was taking homemade cookies to a local shelter for abused women and the second was paying for the persons order behind me at a drive through. I love it! Keep it going!

24 Maggie December 26, 2012 at 12:28 pm

Love these ideas. They are so thoughtful! Just so you know, mail carriers actually cannot accept cash or checks- not sure about other gifts. I work in one of the mail distribution centers and most of the envelopes made out to mail carriers end up coming back to us to pass onto management. Maybe cookies or something would be better! I know they appreciate the thought, its just too bad they can’t keep what they receive!

25 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 2, 2013 at 1:20 pm

hi! i’m new to your blog and just wanted to say: i love this! such a great idea ♥
..i’m def looking fwd to reading more in the future too bc i saw ur other post on the lumineers – omg LOVEEEE! ♥
..hope your new years is off to a good start!
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Annoying But True: Exercise Increases EnergyMy Profile

26 Kelly @ Femme Fitale January 3, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Love the #26acts movement!!! I read about it last week and intend to follow through!

Oh, and Christmas isn’t complete without Christmas Curls ;)
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Lucky 13My Profile

27 Anthony January 10, 2013 at 7:08 pm

wow im in !maybe ill leave notes whith each one to inspire other people the same thing! Ill get my mom and brother to do 26 too! Now I know how to spend my birthday money! Too the store!

28 Anthony January 10, 2013 at 7:11 pm

For gift cards and blankets and stuff

29 Jay January 22, 2013 at 12:33 am

It’s a moot point now but for future reference, be cautious with the idea about the Salvation Army. While the idea behind the organization is great I find myself questioning a lot of their practices. For example, the people ringing that bell are not volunteers or do gooders. They are employees and they get paid by the company. I spoke to one of the people and they told me that they specifically pick people that can convince others to donate. Like a salesman. Something strikes me as off about raising money through the use of a paid salesperson.

30 grisel February 11, 2013 at 9:39 pm

We can made Connecticut, a best a state of United State…….. Connecticut el mejor estado de Estados Unidos….