2013 Resolutions

December 15, 2012 · 21 comments

The time of year is approaching when everyone asks what you’re resolving to do for 2013. To be honest, 2012 was such a transition year for me, so it took me a minute to decide what my big resolution would actually be.

After thinking about my fitness goals, I decided I don’t want to pin myself down to just one resolution. I don’t want to make myself promises when my desires and goals may honestly change in a month. I’d rather keep my fitness level and goals fluid.

Screen shot 2012-12-15 at 1.29.41 PMSo, if the day calls for handstands, that’s just how it’s gonna be.

So, in that respect, my fitness New Year’s Resolution is broad: I want to do what makes me happiest.

If my life is simply too busy to prioritize fitness, a two-mile run for the day will have to do. If I can’t squeeze in a whole boot camp session, a shortened, modified one works, too. And that’s what I’m going to do as long as it makes me happy and is fun for me.

Honestly, that can apply to the rest of my life, too. And I’ll do just that: do the things that make me happy.

But when I think back to how this year made my life in Virginia Beach so different, I recognize a common theme. This year, I chose to be uncomfortable. I put myself out there. I made changes. I followed the advice of one of my favorite icons, Eleanor Roosevelt, in that I “did what I thought I could not do.”

And what do I have to show for my changes? I have so, so many new friends here. I have relationships I can’t imagine my life without. I get to perform again, which I missed so much. I’m truly happy here, for the first time… ever, I think. If I had played it safe, I don’t think I could say any of these things.

Screen shot 2012-12-15 at 1.28.34 PM

Screen shot 2012-12-15 at 1.29.15 PM

That’s what makes me think I need to keep doing that. I am resolving to live outside of my comfort zone. I want to push my limits where they need to be pushed, and I want to take risks.

So there’s my big New Year’s Resolution: In 2013, I am going to live outside of my comfort zone.

What are you planning to resolve to do in 2013? Writing it down makes it a lot easier to follow, so share some of yours with me! If you share your resolutions with the people at fitmixer, you will be entered to win the December giveaway, too. :)

One more thing. If your resolution has something to do with whipping that bod into shape, you should think about joining me in fitmixer boot camp. If you’re on the fence about joining boot camp and love the idea, leave that in your comment, too. I might have something exciting in store for someone who would like to join the next fitmixer Boot Camp beginning on January 14!

1 Heather @Run Eat Play December 15, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I think that stepping out fo your comfort zone is a great resolution – that’s something that I need to work on! Fitmixer boot camp looks like something outside of my comfort zone – I’m so used to doing the same fitness routinue that fixmixer might help spice things up. :)
Heather @Run Eat Play recently posted..Take TimeMy Profile

2 christina December 15, 2012 at 4:16 pm

HELLO, may i take a moment to tell you that your body is ROCKIN? hahah xo
christina recently posted..The Friday Five 12.14.12My Profile

3 Hollie@lolzthatswim December 15, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Love this and I’m happy for you. I think making a single new years resolution really pins you down and almost sets you up not to succeed.
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Let’s Look back at that Bucket ListMy Profile

4 Sky December 15, 2012 at 8:58 pm

I love your New Years Resolution!! I’ve noticed the same that when I take risks and do thinks that I don’t normally do then I end up surprising myself in some way! One of my New Years Resolution is to finally lose my tiny bit of belly fat and to continue to tone up! Another resolution is I want to have started my own blog by then that is health/fitness/lifestyle focused. I would love to do Fitmixer bootcamp. It sounds like a great program, but being a college student it just doesn’t fit in my budget right now!
Sky recently posted..Perfect way to spend a Friday night. Hot chocolate, sugar…My Profile

5 kyrunnergirl December 15, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I want to kick my sugar habit in 2013! I want to be a strongr runner in 2013. The list can seriously go on. I really wanted to join Fitmixer’s boot camp and looked into it but $ is tight these days. :( One day, maybe.

6 Nicole December 16, 2012 at 12:49 am

You know, I was having this exact same debate just the other day. And now I think that your resolution and past year has really inspired me to do the same thing! I’m such a comfort zone queen, but it’s not what’s making me happy!! Also the fitmixer bootcamp sounds amazing, but I’m heading back to postgraduate studies in the new year (outside comfort zone #1!) so really can’t afford it at the moment!!!

7 Jacqui December 16, 2012 at 1:32 am

Fitmixer’s boot camp looks great! I’m considering it, although I don’t have too much extra money these days, especially after the holidays!

8 Angela December 16, 2012 at 4:03 am

I think that’s a great resolution. I always heard that you have to be comfortable with being uncomfortable. I am not good at this by any means…but it’s a good goal.
Angela recently posted..Tis the Season!My Profile

9 Coco December 16, 2012 at 10:32 am

My goal is to save more money in 2013! I am starting Grad School in January, and paying for it completely on my own, so I need to really scale back other purchases.
Coco recently posted..A Super Special BirthdayMy Profile

10 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm

I really want to do the boot camp!!

I’m so excited for what 2013 has in store for you :)
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..“How Lazy Can I Be?” DayMy Profile

11 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 16, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Also, your abs are rockin’ girl!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..“How Lazy Can I Be?” DayMy Profile

12 Sarah B. December 16, 2012 at 2:48 pm

My resolution is to lighten up and work on stepping out of my comfort zone even more. I whole-heartedly agree that whenever I step out of my comfort zone, I gain new, positive experiences and meet people who enhance my life.

As far as lightening up goes, I’m workin to relax with my workout routine. Thanks to a more hectic schedule during the past two weeks, my rigid routine has fallen to the wayside. I need to learn to embrace that!

13 Alyssa December 16, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I think that’s an awesome and achievable resolution! I definitely think stepping out of your comfort zone helps to keep us happy and enjoying life.
Alyssa recently posted..A Look Back at 2012My Profile

14 Lindsay December 17, 2012 at 9:57 pm

i’ve been lurking on your blog like a creep for a couple months, but this post spoke to me! I’m also a runner and I’ve lived in Virginia Beach for about a year, but recently most of the people I knew here have moved away. I’ve been trying to put myself out there to meet more people, but I find it hard to make friends in this place! Not being from here, I have met some pretty unfriendly and territorial ladies, who I clearly do not want to be friends with, haha. Any tips?

Also, I know this makes me sounds like a robot, but I swear I’m a real person!

15 Jessica December 19, 2012 at 10:27 am

I give you a lot of credit — it is very difficult for most people to step out of their comfort zones!!! I am so happy you are happy!!! I have been considering participating in Fit Mixer (bc of your wonderful reviews) but haven’t pulled the trigger yet…well because I am nervous!!! I have a 3 month old (and my husband travels during the week for work) so it is difficult for me to get to the gym so being able to do something at home would be convenient!!! I may just have to pull the trigger before January :) And congrats on being happy!!!