Virginia Beach Wicked 10k: Don’t Run in a Leotard

November 1, 2012 · 18 comments

Considering I signed up for the Wicked 10k on a whim and didn’t train too much for the race, I’m pretty psyched to share my results with you guys.

Placing 3rd in my age group after flying around the boardwalk like a paper bag in pre-hurricane winds is something I can live with. The weather was crazy — warm, but VERY windy, especially right on the boardwalk. I didn’t have anyone running with me, so as my pace changed, I really didn’t have someone in front of me to block the wind. It was a bit if a struggle.

Around 7:00 a.m., we all met at Jim’s house to shove some bananas/coffee/water/bars in our faces and warm up. He has a quick walk to the start line from his place.

I was going to wear my sweet purple leotard with pink tights for my 80’s outfit, but it was way too hot for my legs to be covered. I went with my leotard and trusty hot pink Lululemon speed shorts.

This team was ready to rock the race 80’s style.

…and I couldn’t stop laughing at the mullet/cropped T/short shorts of my enthusiastic male teammates.

I warmed up with Rob and Mike and proceeded to get into position in Corral 1 with them. Don’t worry, though, I knew fully well that I’d be waving goodbye to them as soon as the gun went off.

And, surprise, surprise, I ran my first mile at an average 6:40 pace (I know, I didn’t hit those negative splits so fantastically this race), at these two still left me in the dust. Whatever.

I will say that even though Robby can smoke me, I did have a faster half marathon PR first. It only took him half a year to beat it by a good 5 minutes or so, but I’ll still hold onto that.

And thanks to my big yellow 80’s bow, my friend Laura spotted me before the gun went off. Laura, I give you props for looking so cute for a race. Maybe one day I’ll look like a classy pulled-together lady for a race.

But probably not.

Speaking of the big yellow bow, it bit the dust in the wind around mile 3.

Those crazy winds I spoke of totally rocked my hair. I do not recommend a side pony for races unless you have an affinity for hair in your mouth.

The final leg of the race (about 1.5 miles or so, unless my memory fails me) was on the boardwalk. Charlie caught up to me, and we paced each other at around a 7:15 mile time for the first half and got progressively faster. I was running out of steam toward the end, but was able to push it out for a sprint finish at 44:52.

After crossing the finish and grabbing our bananas, medals, water, and powerbars, we were ready for some veggie chili in a bread bowl (thank yoou, Baker’s Crust). We waited around for race results, stood in line, took pictures, and compared leg sizes. Can we talk about Rob’s legs and how they are the same size as mine? For the sake of my self esteem, I’m going to stick to the idea that Rob’s legs are tiny.

I took a two hour nap after the race, and when I woke up, I learned I placed third in my age group. Yippee!

Also, if you take anything away from this post, heed my advice: do not, under any circumstances, wear a leotard for a race.

I mean, unless you like running extensive distances with serious wedgies.

1 Bari November 1, 2012 at 11:11 am

Ouch – a wedgie for 6.2 miles does not sound fun – but you looked adorable rocking that 80’s style!
Bari recently posted..Thankful Thursday: 12 Days of Christmas: My Dream Wish ListMy Profile

2 Sarah November 1, 2012 at 11:38 am

This loos like so much fun! A wedgie… not so fun
Sarah recently posted..Papermoon Diner and Thankful ThursdayMy Profile

3 Sara November 1, 2012 at 11:44 am

I’m SO impressed with your running time!! Congrats on third in your age group, that’s awesome!! I’m running my first half this weekend and you just gave me some motivation!!
Sara recently posted..thirteen things thursdayMy Profile

4 Ashley November 1, 2012 at 11:59 am

I even get upset when I wear them to work (American Apparel leos). Awesome outfits though and great job on the race!! Congrats!
Ashley recently posted..The NYC Marathon (Might Be) Six Days Away – Here Are My ThoughtsMy Profile

5 Tiff November 1, 2012 at 12:59 pm

Love the costumes! The mullet was definitely a good choice, even if the leotard wasn’t. :) Great job on your time. Supah’ speedy!
Tiff recently posted..Pumpkin Tempeh PieMy Profile

6 Amanda @ Run Principessa November 1, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I didn’t even think about wedgies. But I’d still do it. ;) Awesome to hear that this race went so well for you! It looks super fun though! A hundred congrats for placing third in your age group!
Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..Muffin ManiaMy Profile

7 Jennifer November 1, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Congrats on the race! That weather was crazy this weekend. Love your outfit. Can’t say I could have run a half marathon with a wedgy! :)
Jennifer recently posted..How To Make Chocolate Covered PretzelsMy Profile

8 Jamie November 1, 2012 at 5:00 pm

SOOO PROUD OF YOU!! GREAT job!!! :) I am also devastated by the fact that I would’ve been in a different age group…..

ANNND I MISS YA

9 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy November 1, 2012 at 5:03 pm

That looks like such a fun race! And don’t feel bad, I think most guys have naturally super skinny legs!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Goodbye October, Hello NovemberMy Profile

10 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife November 1, 2012 at 8:00 pm

it looks like you guys had a lot of fun at this race! races are always better when you are having fun and not being so serious with getting a PR or something! (:
Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife recently posted..KLUTCHclub and GiveawayMy Profile

11 em @ living & learning November 1, 2012 at 9:59 pm

seriously, can I have your legs? those times are insane and something I could only dream of!
em @ living & learning recently posted..Merry HalloweenMy Profile

12 Sarah B. November 1, 2012 at 10:01 pm

A. I love that you ran in a leotard. B. I love that you placed 3rd in your age group (holy [insert profanity if choice]!!). C. I love that you placed 3 rd while wearing leotard. That is all…
Sarah B. recently posted..Making It Count: November GoalsMy Profile

13 christina November 2, 2012 at 9:59 am

holy shit balls you are fast!!!!
christina recently posted..The Friday Five 11.2.12My Profile