My Thoughts on the Election

October 5, 2012 · 12 comments

I hate that we become a hateful, divided country when it comes time to elect our leader. Yes, this is a given, but there is a respectful way to go about all races of any nature.

I hate the negativity that surrounds election time. I despise all negative political advertisements.

I wish there was a Facebook filter to hide all political statuses. I find myself reading posts of those I formerly respected, thinking, “Awwww, really?” C’mon, man.

via

And the (generally) ignorant arguments that break out as a result. I don’t want to be a part of your fighting. I feel like an awkward voyeur.

via

We have enough negativity in our world. I know we as individuals will fail to agree on political issues, but why do we need to publicly put down, argue with, and denounce others?

My best friend Maggie posted something on Facebook that really hit the nail on the head. I liked her status so much that I took it, tweaked it/added to it, and re-posted it. And I’m going to pass the word on here:

That’s all. I just wanted to say that.

Positivity goes a long way, and I sure could use some of that these days. I think we all could.

1 Amber K October 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Couldn’t have said it any better myself.
Amber K recently posted..GPS Fails Me Every TimeMy Profile

2 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More October 5, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’m so over the elections, too. I know they are very important, but you’re right, it gets annoying.
Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More recently posted..I’d Like a RefundMy Profile

3 Jess October 5, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Thank you thank you thank you! I avoid facebook like the plague during election years because of the ridiculous hatred and ignorance that pops up every day. I understand everyone having the right to free speech, but it hurts my heart to see our country so severely divided at a time when that is the last thing that we need.

4 Kaitlyn October 5, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I AGREEEEEEEEEEE! I couldn’t even bring myself to watch the debate…so much hatred. I hate that there seems to be no celebrating the fact that we all live in a country where we are fortunate to have the opportunity to elect a leader. arrgghhhhhhhh. Elections frustrate me.

5 Rebecca October 5, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Alyssa, This is perfect!! And, I’m sharing it (credit is given.) I was JUST telling my FB friends that yelling and nasty statuses don’t change anyone’s mind. It only creates more animosity, and we are better than that! Thank you for posting this!

6 Katie October 5, 2012 at 3:18 pm

On a similar note I wish I could bake a cake made out of rainbow and smiles..

7 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 5, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I couldn’t agree more. I don’t want to be ignorant, but I want to get wrapped up in everything either. It stresses me out too much.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Friday ThingsMy Profile

8 theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine October 5, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Amen Sister!!!!
theresa @ aspoonfulofsunshine recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday: Fall ColorsMy Profile

9 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 5, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Preach it. 😉

My mom is very much into politics, and it drives me nuts. I know I need to be informed, but I also don’t want to talk about it all. the. time.
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..What I ate my first trimester …My Profile

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 5, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Well said. I completely agree.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..5 X 5 For Friday!My Profile

11 Laura October 10, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Hey Alyssa! First of all just wanted to say I love love LOVE your blog and have been reading it for weeks now. Makes me laugh every time! And I totally agree with this, this is my first election where I can vote and I really want to…..but I can’t decide who I dislike the least! To quote Mean Girls, I wish we could just bake a cake out of rainbows and sunshine and then we could eat it and all be happy!