Going Pink for Breast Cancer

October 3, 2012 · 20 comments

You remember my sister, right?

Hold up, you may recognize us better here…

This was after our proud 6.3-mile run on Christmas morning, which was Amy’s longest run since she had her double mastectomy.

Breast cancer awareness has always been important to me, but it has become so much more so after taking care of my sister after her surgery. I’m so thankful she is cancer free today, and I will do everything I can to support my sister and those who are fighting/have fought breast cancer in any way I can.

If you remember her story, awareness is such a huge factor in defeating breast cancer. As soon as ladies are old enough for their insurance to cover it, they should be getting a mammogram. She was just 36 when she was diagnosed. If she hadn’t gotten tested as an awareness program at her school, it may have been too late by the time she was diagnosed.

So, I did something yesterday.

(If you live in the Virginia Beach area, my friend Laura is a fantastic cosmetologist and does hair cuts, coloring, weddings, etc. Check out her website. She did our hair my love Lisa-Marie’s wedding, too!)

I was so excited to do this. Laura was coming over to cut my hair, and I had been thinking of doing it for a while. Even better? It was Amy’s birthday yesterday. After a 6 a.m. birthday facetime, I told her I would talk to her later that day. I texted her a photo, and I think she was a little surprised.

This is kindasorta a big deal for me, since I have never ever let any sort of dye touch my hair before. It terrifies me. Buuut I love it! And I love what it represents.

And I love my sister.

And I love all the women fighting the good fight today. They all get a big hug and high five from me. Let’s fight this thing together.

1 Rachel October 3, 2012 at 10:59 am

omg that is so cute! Cancer is such a scary thing, I just lost my cousin to it. So glad your sister is cancer free!
Rachel recently posted..A Big Bowl of DeliciousnessMy Profile

2 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } October 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

Love it! I’ve had a pink streak in my hair since 2007 🙂
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted..Halloween Decor ExplosionMy Profile

3 Coco October 3, 2012 at 12:33 pm

That’s awesome, I love it! So glad that your sister beat cancer.. And this weekend I am running a local 5k fundraiser for it!

4 Amanda Hollenbaugh October 3, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Love it!!!

5 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige October 3, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Alyssa! This is so cool of you to do for your sister and breast cancer awareness. 🙂 Looks good on you, too.

6 Angela @ Health's Angel October 3, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I love this! Such a creative thing to do for awareness. The pink looks awesome with your hair color. I’ve always been envious of those with blonde hair; I think it’s so pretty!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Vitamin A, The Delicious Way (Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies)My Profile

7 Heather @ Run Eat Play October 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I love the pink hair! It’s wonderful that your sister is now cancer free!

My gym has a pink treadmill for breast cancer awareness month and for each mile logged in october, they’ll donate 10 cents!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Nice Hoodie…Not.My Profile

8 Corey October 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Love it! You’ve never looked better!!

9 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 3, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I loveeee this! You look adorable!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..New WIAWMy Profile

10 Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans October 3, 2012 at 4:55 pm

I’m so glad your sister is healthy and cancer-free! And I love the pink streak, I need to get one for October too, I used to have a full head of pink hair (true story, in high school) so I have not excuse not to get one for breast cancer awareness.
Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans recently posted..Pin It.My Profile

11 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 3, 2012 at 5:31 pm

I love it! I’ve never dyed my hair either, but I always thought that pink streaks would be fun!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A Pretty Muddy HikeMy Profile

12 Amber K October 3, 2012 at 9:15 pm

It looks cute! I’m always shocked when people say they have never dyed their hair. My hair has been every color under the sun starting from when I was a kid!
Amber K recently posted..It’s Only Been a Year?My Profile

13 Mollie @Sprinkles of Life October 4, 2012 at 10:06 am

LOVE it! That looks so cute! Great with your blonde!
Mollie @Sprinkles of Life recently posted..Homemade taco seasoningMy Profile

14 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola October 4, 2012 at 1:46 pm

It sounds like your sister is such a brave, amazing individual! And it is so important to be tested early and regularly, given how many young women are getting cancer these days. Thank you for drawing attention to a very important subject- oh and you are rocking that pink streak! (I also can’t believe you have never dyed your hair before- it is such a gorg color!)
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..The Best Birthday: Part 1My Profile

15 Life's a Bowl October 4, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I love the pop of color [although I’m slightly biased since pink is my favorite color :)] and the reason behind it- definitely memorable! Your sister sounds like she is super strong and has a bright future ahead… My momma and actually my best friends’ mom had breast cancer so it’ll always have a special place in my heart too.

16 Amy Watkins October 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm