ANOTHER RACE!

October 15, 2012 · 11 comments

FINALLY! I’m so excited!

It feels like forever since I’ve registered for a race. Theatre, life, work, and coaching have come first, and while I really enjoyed not prioritizing running, I’m pretty pumped to finally be able to run the Virginia Beach Wicked 10k here in Virginia Beach.

Last year, the Wicked 10k was the day before the Marine Corps Marathon. That obviously wasn’t happening.

Since I’ve run the Virginia Beach Rock & Roll Half, the Shamrock Half (twice), the Virginia is for Lovers 14k, and the Surf-n-Santa 10-miler, this will be my sixth race in the area.

I’ve been attempting a little speedwork lately, and I’m finally starting to see some results. I can’t tell you how much I’ve missed feeling like an accomplished runner. I ran a total of 8.5 miles on Saturday, and without trying too hard, I was able to clock in about a 7:44 average speed. And that’s including stops at traffic lights/crosswalks, etc.

Is anyone else way too impatient to wait for their Garmin to load before starting a run? I’ve been taking off and turning it on half a mile in. Don’t make me wait, Garmin. I’m ready to roll.

Although I’m not really training for the Wicked 10k, I still have hopes of doing well. I have yet to run an official 10k race, so I’m interested to see how I’ll fare at the unfamiliar race distance.

I’ll be rockin’ and rollin’ with team JWFNS. Remember Jim? That’s his team.

And if you think I won’t be going all out for the team 80′s apparel theme…

"via

Well, you obviously don’t know me very well.

1 Em @ living & learning October 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm

A 7:44 pace for 8.5 miles. Ohhh em geee you must be part superhuman. Seriously can we trade bodies, legs, minds or something!?
Em @ living & learning recently posted..marveling …My Profile

2 Tina @ Best Body Fitness October 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm

That is crazy fast pace! Killing it again! I’m still waiting for my speed to come back. I think it’s part fear holding me back, though. I’m so afraid of injury again!

And the Garmin thing? Mine took FOREVER to load today so I did the same as you…started running and started the Garmin up 1/2 mile into the run.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..A Memorable Day: Flying High & Rocking on IceMy Profile

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm

YEP. Don’t expect patience from me. ;) I’m glad I’m not alone. and UGH, I know! It’ll come. I know that feeling!

And I miss you dearly, Tinalove.

4 Corey October 15, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Ahhhh those costumes are great!
Corey recently posted..Project DecorateMy Profile

5 Nicole Harman October 15, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Are you still doing the vegetarian diet? How is it going I am wanting to try it.

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 16, 2012 at 8:32 am

Sure am! It’s still going great, my dizzy spells have gone away (maybe the iron supplements are doing the trick?), and I highly encourage you try it.

7 amy October 16, 2012 at 10:43 pm

So proud of you!!!!!

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm

love you, sister!

9 Pam S October 19, 2012 at 9:26 am

What sort of training to do you for speed work?

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss October 23, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I don’t really do much since I only run outside around my neighborhood now. I have just started working in faster lower mileage runs with sprint intervals mixed in.

11 Katie October 23, 2012 at 11:36 am

WOW!!! You are super fast!! I am super excited to run the Wicked 10K on Saturday!!! It’s going to be a blast! Good Luck!