Wait, it’s Fall?

September 5, 2012 · 29 comments

Even though I live at the beach, I only got to frolic a handful of times this summer between rehearsals, shows, and work. I spent Sunday on the beach with my friend Laura spectating a Battle for the Paddle volleyball tournament, and it was sad to think beach season is over.

On the plus side? I got to try stand-up paddle boarding! A friend let me borrow her board to give it a go, and it was FUN. I didn’t even wipe on once… aaand now I really want a paddle board.

I wish I had photos to show you my fantastic form. As it turns out, assuming a squatting position like when you’re waterskiing is frowned upon while paddleboarding.

Now I know.

Anyway, I will sadly say goodbye to the beach. But I refuse to join the throngs of people who say “I LOVE FALL! YAY, FOOTBALL! PUMPKINSPICEDLATTEPUMPKINSPICEDLATTEPUMPKINSPICEDLATTE!”

Yeah, I like some pumpkin-flavored things, but I love summer vacation, baseball season, and extended fro-yo hours way more. No contest.

The end of summer has also obviously brought the return of work. I’ve become responsible for three different departments this year, so I work in development while serving as a member of the faculty and coaching.

It’s a very good thing I function well as a stupidly busy person.

And getting back on the field hockey field with all my new kiddos has been great, actually. I love an excuse to make 25 middle schoolers chase me around a field.

I also guess I never had coaches pressed for exercise time. I don’t remember any coach telling me I couldn’t be dismissed until my sprint caught up to hers.

Genius, right?

And while we’re on the subject of field hockey, while rooting through my old yearbooks for template ideas, I came across this little gem:

I bet you’re jealous you didn’t have those lanky spaghetti limbs in high school.

Welp, I’m off to go make some lesson plans while thanking my lucky stars it’s not math that I’m teaching.

1 Lynn September 5, 2012 at 4:06 pm

That e-card is tooo funny, I teach math and science and I am going to show it to some of my classes when they complain about word problems. I am totally having a few end-of-summer blues as fall is getting underway. But I do enjoy being back in front of a classroom, I think that actually being back is way better than worrying about going back. Good luck in the beginning of your school year!

2 D September 5, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Did you watch any of the field hockey matches from the olympics?! those were crazy fast paced matches!
D recently posted..Running for a Cause/A Cause for RunningMy Profile

3 robfiasco @ run 2 the hills September 5, 2012 at 4:14 pm

there’s still 2 weeks of summer left!!! technically.

although it could be snowing up here in NY before then….thank god i’m moving soon. I hate the cold.

nice field hockey picture. I think you just found your halloween costume. yes? yes.
robfiasco @ run 2 the hills recently posted..i absolutely love half days…..My Profile

4 Emily September 5, 2012 at 4:25 pm

wow – i didn’t know you worked in education! I’m finishing up my student teaching this semester & will have my master’s in elementary education in May – I’m all about the little ones, I applaud you for being able to work with the middle schoolers – their personalities are full blast !
Emily recently posted..GAME DAY.My Profile

5 Yellow Haired Girl September 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Bahahahaha. That is definitely how I view math problems. Sometimes I swear hating math is the reason I chose to go down the communications career path …
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..First Fall WIAWMy Profile

6 Heather (Heather's Dish) September 5, 2012 at 5:41 pm

bahaha the math thing is SOOOOOOOOOO true! and pumpkin spice lattes? here i come!
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..BackMy Profile

7 Karla @myhighonlife September 5, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I can’t believe summer is over either.. I love summer but I’m definitely a fall girl. Everything about it. Now if only this new college grad could find a job….
Karla @myhighonlife recently posted..Summer 2012My Profile

8 Cait @ Beyond Bananas September 5, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I didn’t get to the beach too much this summer either… except for when we were in Aruba.. which Iguess makes up for it! πŸ™‚

You are so smart with your coaching tactics to make your girls catch you! During the fall and winter, I really wish I coached at a school that dismissed earlier (aka not 4pm).. because I would love to coach again!
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Wedding: Putting on the DressMy Profile

9 Laura September 5, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Wow you are seriously so busy! That last pic cracked me right up….I have a BA in Chemistry with a minor in Physics and my Doctor of Audiology (hearing science) and I still look at math problems like that lol

How did you get into coaching field hockey?
Laura recently posted..Hug a poleMy Profile

10 Natalie September 5, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I’m sad about summer leaving too! I like all the fall events, but I’m sad about the soon-to-come daylight savings.
Natalie recently posted..Keeping That Energy Up!My Profile

11 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced September 5, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Hahahaha I’m definitely one of those “Pumpkin Spiced Latte” fanatics… But certainly NOT a football fanatic.. P.S. I thought Football was a Sunday night thing, why is it taking over my Wednesday???
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Wednesday Night Grocery TripMy Profile

12 Ali September 5, 2012 at 11:10 pm

does your hockey uniform say shawnee?? as in south jersey?? if so, i played at eastern high school! we were big rival schools! if it’s a different shawnee..well..nevermind πŸ™‚

13 cait September 6, 2012 at 8:47 am

omg that ecard is seriously my life haha- and while i do enjoy fall i would prefer summer too! even though i do enjoy a psl once in a while πŸ™‚
cait recently posted..It’s Okay ThursdayMy Profile

14 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers September 6, 2012 at 9:30 am

I am pretty excited about fall, but that’s partially due to lack of fro-yo love, no nearby beach, and a preference for football over baseball. Yeah, I’ll still miss fun times at the lake though. That’s for sure!

Nice gem by the way. I had some lovely spaghetti limbs myself. Actually, in middle school I was jealous of girls with bigger thighs… and boobs. (duh)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Shrimp and Scallop PaellaMy Profile

15 Amber K September 6, 2012 at 2:04 pm

That e-card is one of my favorites. Because it is entirely too true!
Amber K recently posted..Anxious EnergyMy Profile

16 Rachel September 6, 2012 at 2:30 pm

hahahahha omg that math quote is hysterical LOL!
Rachel recently posted..Just a thought…My Profile

17 Annette @ FitnessPerks September 6, 2012 at 3:07 pm

I totally agree about the Fall thing–SUMMER is wayyyy better! But pumpkin stuff is tasty.
Annette @ FitnessPerks recently posted..What Happens To Your Brain During ExerciseMy Profile

18 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 6, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I played field hockey in high school too – I loved it so much!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Things on a Thursday.My Profile

19 Kayla September 7, 2012 at 5:34 am

i’m co-coaching a 6th grade girls soccer team this fall too and our first practice was yesterday! so fun since it’s totally bringing back memories of the full 12+ years that I played.. i’m sure your experiencing the same feeling πŸ™‚
Kayla recently posted..It’s been awhile..My Profile

20 Alyssa September 9, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Love the e-card haha. I’m so glad you love paddle boarding! I tried SUP this summer too and I want a board myself! Too bad I don’t live near any large bodies of water to use it…maybe us Pennsylvanians can make a manmade lake for ourselves to SUP ONLY…lol

Great luck with coaching! Love that method πŸ™‚
Alyssa recently posted..Gearing Up for Fitmixer BootcampMy Profile