Now It’s a Party.

September 24, 2012 · 21 comments

Guys, I hosted a little meat-free party.

You heard me. Stifle your jokes.

Perhaps it’s the new-found vegetarian hippie in me, but I was all over this stuff. A sustainable garden party? Sure.

Lightlife, a company who’s gotta be all for my new plant-based diet change up, has donated $150,000 to Urban Farming in 2012 to support Urban Farming its mission to end hunger, empower people, and encourage healthier eating through sustainable residential and community gardens. This contribution will help grow 25 tons of food and feed an estimated 50,000 people.

Right. So, what did you do in 2012? I don’t know about you, but I now feel like a huge bum.

I’m glad I can say I am helping the world take a step closer to plant-based diets and sustainability. I furthered this mission by hosting my meat-free hippie party with recycled decorations (oh, get a load of these…), reusable cutlery and dishes, and a group of enthusiastic vegetarians and vegans.

For the record, there was one carnivore present, and he enjoyed the goods just as much as us non-meat eaters.

Oh, those decorations I mentioned? The ones made of recycled materials? They’re still hanging in my kitchen.

That’s right. Magazines and scissors. You don’t even need Pinterest for this magnificence.

…And horses. Horses on my windows. Because who doesn’t want to look at animals as they little by little save them all with their meat-free diet? Thank you, Abbey.

Anyway. On to the food.

If you have never tried Smart Tenders or Smart Wings, I really encourage you to do so. The flavor was there in both products, and while the Smart Wings were a little mushy in consistency, I was a fan of the boneless wing sauce. The Smart Tenders were my favorite among the two products for their chicken-like consistency and not-too-lemony flavor. As far as meatless chicken goes, the Smart Tenders are darn close to the real thing.

I served the Smart Tenders with a little barbeque sauce. Everybody raved about these.

While the Smart Wings and the Smart Tenders were pretty great, Lightlife’s Gimme Lean Sausage stole the show. I used it to make vegan sausage balls by adding it to daiya cheese, heart healthy bisquick, and truffle oil. They were the hit of the whole partay.

Well, Lightlife, it looks like you’re the champ. Thank you for making our meat-free lives easy over here. Your products were a big fat “win” at this party.

And next on my list? The new Lightlife frozen veggie burgers. I couldn’t find them ANYWHERE near me, and I was quite frustrated. Who wants to be my lookout and let me know where you can find those bad boys?

Now, tell me. Was this a party you want to attend, or what? Horsey decorations aside, it’s safe to say Lightlife products made this party. And if you’ve tried some kickass Lightlife product before, clue me in. I need to get my hands on some more.

As a part of the DailyBuzz Food Tastemaker program, Lightlife provided me with a stipend and product for sampling.

This series is brought to you in partnership with Lightlife, Live long. Travel light. To learn more, click here http://www.lightlife.com.

1 Sana September 24, 2012 at 11:46 pm

I support meat free parties as a meat eater ;)
Sana recently posted..Bloggers Love to Take Pictures of ThemselvesMy Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

you, my dear, are a good person. ;)

3 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife September 25, 2012 at 8:06 am

I always looked at these at the store and passed on them but I might have to try them now. They look delicious and maybe the fiance wouldn’t even know the difference. ;)
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Marion CourtMy Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

He really might not! Try adding the Smart Tenders to a spaghetti dish or stir fry or something. Deeelish.

5 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy September 25, 2012 at 9:16 am

I’m not a vegetarian, but all of that does look good! I’ve never tried Lightlife, but I do like MorningStar Farms’ “chicken” patties.
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Scenes from the WeekendMy Profile

6 Faith @ The Cheap Girl's Guide to Chic September 25, 2012 at 9:22 am

The wings look awesome! I’ll have to snag some to keep in my fridge for football season whenever I jealously sit there and watch my boyfriend tear into a meat version!

7 christina September 25, 2012 at 9:36 am

hahahh that horse! yall are crazy, i love it. i’ve never had their product but i’ll check it out!
christina recently posted..Wine Awesomeness School and Club AwesomenessMy Profile

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 25, 2012 at 12:07 pm

DOOOO it!

9 Kelly @ Running Kellometers September 25, 2012 at 9:49 am

My husband is a vegetarian so I eat a lot of Lightlife products (we just had the Italian sausage on Sunday night for dinner with caramelized onions). However, my FAVORITE line of vegetarian products is Gardein. They are in the frozen section and are now carried at Target. Super delicious and aren’t any more expensive than Morningstar or Boca.
Kelly @ Running Kellometers recently posted..Back in the Day, I Used to be FastMy Profile

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

There’s a restaurant near me that serves those products!

11 Yellow Haired Girl September 25, 2012 at 10:15 am

Yum! What a fun night!

I was a collage making queen as a child. Magazines = still my favorite kind of decor.
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..RemindedMy Profile

12 Alysha @Shesontherun September 25, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I love meatless products. I’m making tacos tonight with MorningStar crumbles. Excited!!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Fox Cities Half Marathon 2012 RecapMy Profile

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 25, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I love making Sloppy Joes with any meatless crumbles. But if you like those, you need to try the Lightlife ones. The seasoning/aftertaste is better, in my opinion!

14 Rachel September 25, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I’ve had those in the past haha I generally stay away from the fake meat products just because sometimes they’re too pricey haha
Rachel recently posted..New JerseyMy Profile

15 Kate Ellis September 25, 2012 at 4:49 pm

The veggie burgers are super yummy, as are the portabella burgers! They recently just started carrying them at my Publix, and I’m very happy they do now! Enjoy:-)

16 Lauren September 25, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I LOVE Gimme Lean. That stuff is seriously the greatest vegan meat-substitute on the planet. I would love to attend a hippe vegetarian party, but unfortunately most of my friends are probably just annoyed by my dietary choices / intolerances. :(

17 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 26, 2012 at 11:34 am

I agree! And you should just try serving the goods and not tell them.. they may not notice. ;)

18 Lauren September 26, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Maybe… but this way I don’t have to share my food ;)
Lauren recently posted..Kale, a Wrist Brace, and a DaisyMy Profile

19 Sam September 26, 2012 at 10:24 am

Did you eat a lot of horsemeat before you went veg?

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

hahaha. can’t say I did, but the horsey deco was due to my friend Abbey having a horse magazine. We contemplated adding some Vic Secret models from my catalog sitting on the counter, but we resisted. ;)

21 Erin September 26, 2012 at 8:38 pm

My one beef (ha ha ha) about veg products is that almost all of them (including this one) are soy based. Sometimes I just want something that tastes like a burger or a taco but without the freaking soy. I’ve tried the Quorn products (which are mushroom/fungus based) and the chik filets are very tasty but the crumbles are horrible and all of their products do weird things to my digestive system.