Goal Setting

September 3, 2012 · 29 comments

I’m one of those people who rarely writes down her goals. I sometimes don’t even say my goals out loud.

I know it’s normal, and many of us don’t commit to a goal for fear of not achieving it. The truth is, it’s so much easier to dedicate ourselves to reaching a goal when we talk about it, plan for it, and take the steps to get there.

I set a lot of unofficial goals for myself on a weekly basis. For example, I want to be badass enough to be able to do 5 handstand pushups. Ever since my dear brother-in-law challenged me to a handstand pushup competition on our beach vacation, I’ve had the desire to say I can do more than just a slight “raise the roof” motion while in a wall handstand position.

It’s a silly goal. But I don’t care. I want to do it. I’m still working on the whole graceful handstand thing.

Can someone lend me some really pretty gymnastic skills? I’m lacking just a little.

Anyway. I’m making a plan so I can work toward the badassery that is handstand pushups.

What steps can I take to reach my goal, you ask?

1. Announce that I’m setting such a super important, neato goal [Check].
  2. Simple wall handstands on a daily basis. These don’t require much effort for me now that I’ve (finally) mastered them, and I feel my balance improving the more I practice them.
  3. Make time to try the actual handstand pushup (3 sets) 5-6 times a week with at least one rest day a week.
  4. Regularly incorporate specific shoulder workouts to strengthen the muscles I use when trying these pushups. Pushups in the camel position are a step in the right direction, as they put a lot of weight on the shoulders.
  5. Report how the mission is going. If not well, I’ll take the steps to adjust the plan of attack.

So that’s that. Hopefully, in 6-8 weeks, I’ll be showing you guys how cool I am with my hardcore handstand pushups.

What’s a health/fitness goal you’re working toward? What steps are you taking to reach your goal? Tell me. It’ll put you one step closer to ultimate goal domination.

And if you’d like to enter fitmixer‘s monthly giveaway, GO HERE and tell them your health and fitness goals. Go get ’em.

1 Erica { EricaDHouse.com } September 3, 2012 at 6:45 am

I set goals monthly! I actually just posted my new goals for September. I *have* to have goals to work toward or I start to lose motivation. Currently, I’m working toward a better 5k time and 15 push-ups!
Erica { EricaDHouse.com } recently posted…August Workout SummaryMy Profile

2 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness September 3, 2012 at 7:57 am

Love this post! You will get those handstand push ups in no time! I am always setting fitness related goals for myself! My current one is to get a strict pull up and a ring dip! A handstand push up would be fabulous too! Try volume training with your handstand push ups so 3-4 times a week for 10 minutes do say 3 handstand push ups on the minute every minute for ten minutes! should help !
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted…Marvelous in my MondayMy Profile

3 Alyssa September 3, 2012 at 11:47 am

I like to set weekly goals to keep myself in check a llll the time! Good tips!
Alyssa recently posted…August Foodie Pen Pals!My Profile

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

One of the reasons I love having a blog – knowing that when you publicly announce goals, you have to be that much more committed. I just posted today about my September goals.

Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted…September GoalsMy Profile

5 Nicole @Sugar Coated Sisters September 3, 2012 at 1:27 pm

My goal is to start running more because I’m doing my third half in October… aka SO SOON! Ever since I started on my college’s dance team, I have not found the time to run and I know it will kick me in the butt when I am running up and down the hills of San Francisco in a few weeks.

Good luck gettin’ those pushups!
Nicole @Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted…Pastel, Cardinal, and GoldMy Profile

6 Amber K September 3, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Ok that’s awesome. I can’t even do a bridge let alone a handstand. I really want to work on my upper arm strength and that is a goal I need to make more concrete if I want to achieve it.
Amber K recently posted…Get Outside!My Profile

7 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 3, 2012 at 5:57 pm

Go get ’em girl! And I can make my goal just to get to the handstand… 😉
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted…Music Monday // I Will WaitMy Profile

8 Laura September 3, 2012 at 9:03 pm

You can do it! I am not sure what my goals are this month yet but Im thinking that it will be something like run more consistently in the morning. I am fairly consistent at running but I want to switch to being a morning runner so to do that I need to get up in the morning.
Laura recently posted…I want to run!!My Profile

9 Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets September 3, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I want to do a two minute plank, and maybe handstand pushups now. Anther tip, have someone spot you and help you do a couple.

10 robfiasco @ run2thehills September 4, 2012 at 9:42 am

good luck!!! i’m sure you’ll be doing HSPU’s in no time!!!

personally I’d like to increase my plank time. I need to be more consistent though. I’ll do it every day for a week or two then fall off the wagon.
robfiasco @ run2thehills recently posted…Welcome Back, BloggerMy Profile

11 Michelle @ Blogitness September 4, 2012 at 9:57 am

Love this post! You can do it!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted…It’s Not Monday.My Profile

12 Rachel September 4, 2012 at 11:08 am

haha you’re more badass than me! I can’t even do a handstand yet haha been trying for yearssssss
Rachel recently posted…Here Comes The RainMy Profile

13 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced September 4, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I have several fitness related goals, but my most recent one is that I’ve decided to get back into gymnastics after a 26 year hiatus. So my goal is to do a back handspring by January.

I signed up for adult gymnastics classes and am going to try going 1-2 times per week. So far I did one with a spotter on a tumble barrel and was told I have very good form!!
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted…Rainy Day Workout BluesMy Profile

14 Sarah B. September 4, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Holy heck girl, that’s impressive!! I’m training or a marathon. 18 miles next weekend. Yowzas!

I agree. Writing and vocalizing goals helps make them seem more reachable. Plus, it garners support from others!

15 Jules September 5, 2012 at 6:20 pm

Which piccture is YOU!? The push-up one? The one on the beach or the wall one?

16 Ally September 9, 2012 at 6:05 am

I have been trying to reach a goal of doing tricep dips and push ups at least twice a week. Up till now I have never needed to do them but now I am getting ollldddd haha
Ally recently posted…Whoops…My Profile

17 Corrie Anne September 10, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I love that goal!! Go get it!! Can’t wait to see it!!
Corrie Anne recently posted…Guest Post: In The Cookie of Life, Friends Are The Chocolate ChipsMy Profile