The Latest Tunes

September 14, 2012 · 12 comments

It’s been a while since I reported the music that’s been powering me through my workouts and workdays. Over the summer, three albums were rockin’ my world.

album art via these sources

The Train album has been my morning run jam… when I’ve actually gotten up early enough to pound out a few miles before work. After hearing the awesome new 50 Ways to Say Goodbye song on the radio, I promptly downloaded Train’s newest album, California 37. The three songs I’d have to pick as my favorites are the following:

1. This’ll Be My Year
  2. Bruises featuring Ashley Monroe
  3. Mermaid

They make me wanna run-dance. Or dance-run. You know what I mean. The slower ones are really pretty, too.

And you know how every summer has a song? (Greg Raposo fans, anyone? Anyone? High school memories? No? Okay.) Well, this past summer was the summer of the Fun: Aim and Ignite album. It’s their older one, and I have no idea why it took me so long to actually download the entire album. From time to time, you’ll hear some of these songs as new T.V. show promo tracks and the like. Just download it; the older album is way better than the new one, en mi opinion. If you need convincing, bob your head to these real quick:

1. All The Pretty Girls
  2. Walking the Dog
  3. I Wanna Be The One

This was truly the backstage Gypsy soundtrack. These songs just make me think of getting my makeup done, Abbey doing my hair, and my trademark stocking ribbon dancing in the ladies’ dressing room. Half dressed in my pantaloons.

Yep. Just like that.

Finally, I don’t know why it took me so long to download The Cab’s album, Symphony Soldier. I’ve been rockin’ to the song La La since April (which I think I found on Pandora?), and 5 months later, I’m still obsessed with it. I finally just got the inclination the other day to go back and download the whole album, and I’m pretty pumped to have a brand new album to add to my running/boot camp playlist. It’s a good one for that. Take a listen to these:

1. Bad
  2. Intoxicated
  3. La La

Go download some new tunes. Or, if you already have these, go listen to some old ones. ;) And have an awesome weekend. I’ve got some callback auditionprep to do before tomorrow morning.

1 christina September 14, 2012 at 9:52 am

do you use spotify?! you need to be my friend and check out my playlists. :) happy friday girlfriend!!
christina recently posted..The Friday Five 09.14.12My Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 14, 2012 at 10:10 am

YES. I am! Spotify lights up my work days. I need to do this.

3 Amanda @ Run Principessa September 14, 2012 at 9:58 am

WAIT. Our music tastes are basically the same. I love this post. And I love that you love this music.
Amanda @ Run Principessa recently posted..They See Me Rollin’My Profile

4 Rachel September 14, 2012 at 11:07 am

I loooove Train! Lately I’ve been listening to Marina and the Diamonds, but I think I’ve over played it haha
Rachel recently posted..My Barre ExperienceMy Profile

5 Angela @ Health's Angel September 14, 2012 at 11:34 am

Oh my. You just made my day by mentioning Greg Raposo. Takes me back! One of my old best friends from middle school was obsessed with him.
Good luck with the callbacks!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Shellac Be GoneMy Profile

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 14, 2012 at 11:39 am

YES. I’m so glad someone got that! I met him twice… and it made my entire adolescence. Obviously, my friends and I were very, very obsessed with Dream Street, although Jesse McCartney was my cup of tea. ;)

7 Tina @ Best Body Fitness September 14, 2012 at 11:43 am

Hope the audition goes great!!!! Thikning of you and sending you lots of well wishes. :)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Scenes from the Week: Things I’m Loving These DaysMy Profile

8 Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog September 14, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Awesome tunes! So happy you mentioned the Train album. I was looking for something to listen to today at work and was thinking about this one. I’m going to give it a try!
Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted..PSL & TGIFMy Profile

9 Amber K September 14, 2012 at 2:19 pm

I totally need to update my playlist. Thanks for the suggestions!
Amber K recently posted..Gluten-Free Mac and CheeseMy Profile

10 Emily September 16, 2012 at 9:28 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE Fun! Saw them in concert awhile ago and they were fantastic!

11 Lauren September 18, 2012 at 10:03 pm

GREG RAPOSO!!!! AHHHH!!!! I think I win the ultimate nerd award–not only did I buy their CD when I was really too old to get it LOL but I used a coupon I’d cut off the back of a cereal box for it and saved $3!! haha! i still can’t believe I did that…ohhh my. But I still listen to “It Happens Every Time.”

And Train’s CD is amazinggg…though the song about 50 ways to say goodbye is hands down my fave :)

p.s. Pink’s new CD…awesome…I can’t even talk about how much I love it!!

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss September 19, 2012 at 1:37 pm

I met Greg Raposo 3 times and freaked the heck out. I’m not even ashamed to admit it. He was the cat’s meow. And I was definitely a little old for that.