Let’s Talk Crossfit.

August 13, 2012 · 37 comments

My friend Clare is taking over my blog today. I love her dearly, and I have a feeling you all will, too.

Clare’s guest post is titled Why Alyssa Shouldn’t Be Afraid of Crossfit.

[Disclaimer: I'm not afraid. I'm just a brat who is bad at trying new things all by herself]

[okay, maybe I'm afraid.]

Hi y’all! I’m Clare and I blog over at Fitting It All in. I started my blog after I graduated from college to document my attempts at healthy living while being pretty busy with work, marathon training, and trying to still have friends. The marathon training is over (I’m doing other workouts) and I still work full-time (along with way too many side jobs), but the friends are still questionable. Come say hi!

You guys, Alyssa is scared of Crossfit. She thinks it’s (and I quote) “turbo manly he-man”. We can talk about her while she’s gone, it’s okay.

Honestly I thought the same thing before I started even though I had done all my research and read rave reviews on other blogs. I know that girls need to weight train and that we don’t have the testosterone levels to get bulky, but I still thought it was for crazy intense muscle people.

Me? I’m a fan of dance classes disguised as workouts (Body Attack) and listening to One Direction while I run.

But about three months ago a coach from Tiger’s Den Crossfit here in Dallas asked me to try a workout with him and I’ve been hooked ever since. I now understand why people obsess over it. I still love running and try to make a weekly spin and Body Attack class, but Crossfit is addicting in a different way.

Here’s why Alyssa Shouldn’t Be Afraid of Crossfit:

1. The workouts are scalable. Yeah the pictures you see are of dudes squatting with 300-pound bars, but obviously lots of us girls can’t do that. For every move there is a way to make it easier. Sometimes that means just using the bar with no added weight. I also use an elastic band to help me with my pull-ups and started out doing pushups on my knees before I could do them all on my toes. No one judges you – everyone’s goal is just to challenge themselves. My box has teeny girls that desperately need to gain some muscle weight, huge buff firefighters, and 65-year-old men with bad knees all working out together.

2. Crossfit really is like a family. There are no headphones during workouts and no sitting on weight machines all alone Everyone stretches together, warms up together, and WODs together. Everyone is sweaty and gross and everyone yells and cheers to help that last person finish the workout. The community is truly what makes it different than any other type of workout. Oh and there are lots of inappropriate jokes about snatches and hip thrusts. [Alyssa says: "SOLD."]
  3. I’m stronger that I’ve ever been, and I’ve been told that I look better! My body composition is different even though my weight hasn’t changed. My arms and legs are more toned, not bulky, and I also saw these little muscles at the bottom of my stomach the other day. What?
    (yikes – I’ve never put a flexing picture on the internet before)
  4. It makes you feel really badass. I was so proud the first time I tore open a blister. I know that’s sick and twisted, but it means you’re pushing harder not giving up even when it hurts. [Alyssa says: "I like this point even more."]
    [Alyssa says: Clare. Will Ryan Gosling show up if I start doing Crossfit? I'm registering today.]
  5. There’s tons of proof that Crossfit works. Natural body movements build functional strength instead of individual muscles. The constantly changing workouts increase your power and coordination, preparing you to take on anything. The gymnastics elements build core strength and control. The short, high intensity bursts burn fat and increase cardiovascular function. And the focus on mobilization helps stretch you out to prevent injury.

So that’s why, Alyssa. The grunting is optional.

Alyssa says: What do you guys think? Have you given into the craze? Have you thought about it? Has Clare tempted you with her badassery?

1 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets August 13, 2012 at 1:09 pm

I want to try it soo badly, though I must admit I’m still a teeny tiny bit intimidated. Unfortunately there aren’t any close to me and I don’t have a car :( boo.
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..Speedy Weekend Wrap + Weekly PlanMy Profile

2 GM @ Gmruns August 13, 2012 at 1:18 pm

awesome awesome post. so dead on with everything!! needless to say, i am a crossfit freak and think you should be too!
GM @ Gmruns recently posted..Rest day, Day of RestMy Profile

3 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots August 13, 2012 at 2:26 pm

I want to try it but I am scared as well!! Looking forward to getting a taste of crossfit at HLS this weekend!

4 Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time August 13, 2012 at 2:38 pm

I love Clare and I love reading about her Crossfit adventures. I really wish that it was something I could do, it looks like so much fun! You should definitely do it, Alyssa. I’d love to see some Alyssa WOD pics ;)
Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time recently posted..Not-So-Great DayMy Profile

5 autumn August 13, 2012 at 2:42 pm

“Crossfit” is the biggest marketing gimmick out there right now! Functional/Cross Training has been around for years and “yes” it does work! I own and operate a training facility where we specialize in functional training. We do many of the same things “crossfit” does with the huge exception that we would never allow someone to practice olympic weighlifting for speed! Or throw a beginner, middle aged, or overweight client into a high intensity workout when they can’t even keep their heels down on a squat, run 50 feet, or stand up straight and engage the core muscles. Form,form form!! The idea of crossfit is great and some healthy competition is always encouraged, but the pure lack of organization and standards has really given it a bad name. Just because a company is backed by Reebok doesn’t make it right. I would be more than happy to go get “crossfit” certified and incorporate it into my gym IF they would set a higher standard on the education and experience of their “coaches” and maintain focus on preventing injuries not waving them around like a badge of honor. It’s obviously a business and not a passion for most. Charging $200-250 a month to come in and do a 10-20 min WOD is criminal to me, especially when there are so many CF “coaches” that aren’t doing their job and protecting people from injury and taking the time to teach them proper form, talking to them about their strengthes and weaknesses and encouraging a healthy diet that is suitable for them, not just recomending PALEO because it’s the crossfit fad. Again that is not appropriate for everybody. Unless Crossfit gets a handle on their program and starts laying down some rules, they will end up with some major lawsuits on their hands.

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 14, 2012 at 9:18 am

That’s really interesting, Autumn. I’m glad you put in your two cents so I could hear both sides of the argument.

7 Megan August 14, 2012 at 10:57 am

AMEN.

8 Katy @ HaveYouHurd August 14, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I know personally my CrossFit coach is HUGE on form and if you don’t have it…you can’t move forward until you do. I’m sure there are some CrossFit boxes out there that might not practice this safety measure, but the same can probably be said for any fitness establishment.
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Let’s Keep GoingMy Profile

9 Liz @ Southern Charm August 13, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Try it!!! What do you have to lose? You will feel SO strong after!!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..Red Dress RunMy Profile

10 MegG August 13, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Great post, and many of the same reasons that I am totally in love with CrossFit. The community is amazing, and what you can gain from it is mind blowing. I’ve never felt better or stronger. Alyssa, give it a go, nothing to lose!
MegG recently posted..SeaWheeze Recap: Part 2My Profile

11 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! August 13, 2012 at 3:40 pm

the training program i do is probably the most similar thing to crossfit. Though I have never tried crossfit itself it sounds pretty similar. our workout is different everyday and we exercise as a group. he has a different circuit for us everyday!
Anyway point being. I BET YOU WOULD LOVE IT ALYSSA!! its will be so fun and i bet when you try it you will be back on the blog like “geez i should have just done that earlier because i love it”
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..The Underwear-Skirt MalfunctionMy Profile

12 Diana August 13, 2012 at 4:04 pm

CrossFit? Nah. I’m a runner, and while I may venture out with a friend who is interested in taking a trial CrossFit class, I definitely don’t plan on taking it up seriously any time soon. I know that it’s good to strength train and all of that stuff (I don’t do anything but running, biking, and cross country skiing), but considering that I am MUCH stronger than many people – even though I have been told that I have the physique of an elite distance runner – I can’t be bothered to pick up a weight.

Above all, I’m too much of a cardio junkie and muscular enough already (serious arm muscles and abs over here as a result of good genetics), but I know tons of people love CrossFit – whatever floats your boat ;)

13 Amanda August 13, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’m totally considering it! I just put a call out asking for opinions on my blog today – there is a seriously awesome living social (or groupon I can’t remember) deal for Crossfit classes near me and I almost can’t turn it down! Clare may have just made me decision for me!

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 14, 2012 at 9:19 am

honestly, that’s what would throw me into trying it.. a good deal. it’s super expensive around here!

15 Heather (Heather's Dish) August 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm

i never thought i’d love it, but i started doing some at-home crossfit workouts and really enjoy them! it’s nice to have something different to do every day, and i look forward to seeing how hard i can work and how bad i can sweat :) plus i can tell that i’m SO much stronger than i was before…it’s not just for show now :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Walnut Vanilla Bean ShortbreadMy Profile

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

that’s how I feel about boot camp! I’m not sure yet if I want to switch gears and go from bodyweight exercises to CrossFit. I guess we shall see!

17 Alysha @Shesontherun August 13, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Crossfit sounds a lot like gym class :)
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Corn and Scallion Sourdough PancakesMy Profile

18 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 13, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I just can’t buy in to it. I like workouts to be my “me” time.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..New Friends & A Pilates Pittsburgh GiveawayMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 14, 2012 at 9:20 am

I’m the same way. Precisely.

20 Juliette @ Finish Your Broccoli August 13, 2012 at 10:22 pm

I am definitely Crossfit-curious. I prefer a barre class over a boot camp any day but I keep hearing about Crossfit and I’ll try anything once so why the hell not? Plus, did you SEE the Crossfit games? Those ladies are crazy strong and toned. I’ll get to sample it this weekend at HLS so we shall see if I end up joining a box in my neighb when I return!
Juliette @ Finish Your Broccoli recently posted..How I’m Training for the Broad Street RunMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 14, 2012 at 9:21 am

I really want to try a barre class!

22 Randilea @ Life As I Bake It August 13, 2012 at 11:15 pm

She totally has tempted me! I’m off to look for Crosffit around where I live :)
Randilea @ Life As I Bake It recently posted..Grilled Polenta, Carne Asada, and Tomatillo SalsaMy Profile

23 Sarah B. August 13, 2012 at 11:46 pm

Ah, love Claire’s blog! I can tell she freakin’ loves it. It’s something I’d like to give a whirl myself. I wonder how pricy it is to join? The community aspect is what really piques my interest. I miss being on sports teams!
Sarah B. recently posted..Here Goes Nothin’My Profile

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 14, 2012 at 9:32 am

I’ve been on the hunt for Groupons for it. I think that’s how Clare got into it, too!

25 clare @ fittingitallin August 15, 2012 at 11:43 am

I originally bought a groupon but never used it! Lots of debate amongst crossfit owners about using groupons
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..WIAW: Showing MoreMy Profile

26 Ali August 14, 2012 at 7:29 am

A Crossfit Gym just recently opened in my area. I think it is time to go see what the buzz is all about! Thanks

27 Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans August 14, 2012 at 8:19 am

I tried a free CrossFit class at a local box and after one class I’m totally in love. I’m joining a box as soon as I get back to school!
Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans recently posted..Things I Did This Weekend.My Profile

28 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats August 14, 2012 at 9:14 am

Ahhh I am so thankful for this post! I have been thinking about Crossfit for a few months now and every time I walk past the Crossfit box down the street from me I can’t seem to make up my mind about whether to try it out. This post was really helpful! I’ve always heard it can be sort of cultish, but I think I’m totally fine with that. My only lingering question would be the money involved…it can be really expensive and I already belong to a gym so is it really worth the cash?
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..A Typical Summer WeekendMy Profile

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss August 14, 2012 at 9:33 am

I have felt the same way, especially when I’m happy in my own routine which does not cost a lot.

30 clare @ fittingitallin August 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

I think it’s worth the money – it’s like personalized workouts and best friends all in one! It’s not much more than I used to pay for a yoga membership. Hope you give it a shot!
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..WIAW: Showing MoreMy Profile

31 Katy @ HaveYouHurd August 14, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I also am a CrossFit lover and I agree with all the things Clare said. I played basketball in college and for the first time since I graduated, I feel that team comraderie again and it’s awesome. I also feel like a real ATHLETE. CrossFit is so unique becuase it’s competition with yourself and with others…but at the same time you’re all a team. I agree that if you’re looking to lose weight…this isn’t for you. I also have not lost any weight. The good news is I’m NOT flabby anywhere and I feel like if Zombies attacked right now, I’m def in shape to kick some butt :)
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Let’s Keep GoingMy Profile

32 clare @ fittingitallin August 15, 2012 at 11:44 am

hahah zombie butt kicking. Totally a crossfit plus:)
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..WIAW: Showing MoreMy Profile

33 Sierra @ Posh Meets Pavement August 14, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I could not agree more! It is an intimidating workout, but once you find your feet and get into a groove, it’s amazing (and addictive). Word about feeling like a badass….I can attest to that.

34 ashley August 14, 2012 at 6:35 pm

I have done one crossfit session and LOVED IT!!! But, here in Nashville the crossfit gyms dont come cheap….mind you I love my body and would do anything to keep it healthy and fit but my wallet screams no at the moment bc my fiance and I are planning a wedding. But you should do it if you have the means!!!

35 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings August 15, 2012 at 8:06 pm

The only thing holding me back from trying CrossFit is the price. I’m hoping that once I’m out of school and I’m working more, I’ll join a box! You should go for it!
Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings recently posted..Hey good girlMy Profile

36 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 26, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I want to try Crossfit but I too am a bit intimidated. I might have to look for a box after my move and find a friend to drag with me. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Summer Bucket List – Completed!My Profile

37 Noelle August 29, 2012 at 6:46 pm

You should definitely try it!! My boyfriend is opening up a gym here in the Virginia Beach area and he does the crossfit games! He came in third last year and eleventh this year :)