Guess Who’s Juicing?

July 23, 2012 · 33 comments

Me. I’m juicing.

I know, that looks pretty funky. Don’t judge it just yet.

Remember how I bought this juicer off a Groupon deal about a month ago? I have no prior juicing experience, but I’ve heard people absolutely rave about the wonders of juicing. When I saw such a great deal for this one, I had to send it in.

Especially since, well, his name is The Big Boss.

When this showed up on my doorstep a few days ago, I immediately opened up the box, assembled the guy, and put him to work. Consequently, I was left to toy with whatever I had in the fridge, so my first recipe was a little haphazard.

Lesson learned: Haphazard can be awesome!

Two different recipes I have tried thus far with my juicer include:

• 1 Braeburn apple
  • 6 strawberries
  • 1 handful baby carrots
  • 1 small handful spinach

The next day, I tried what you see above.

• 1 mango
  • 1 handful baby carrots
  • 1 handful spinach
  • 1/2 Braeburn apple
  • small pinch nutritional yeast

Both were amazing. I really wasn’t sure what to expect as far as the sweetness factor was concerned, so I had my Xagave at the ready. I’m happy to report the juice was more than sweet enough and needed no additional flavoring.

Next time I hit the produce department, I’m going to stock up on celery to up the volume of my juice. I really, really like mango-based flavors, but in the future I’ll probably be adding some cherries for an antioxidant boost.

Using The Big Boss (oh yeah) was extremely easy, and I’m so glad I took a chance on the product. I’ve only been at it for two days, and I’d recommend juicin’ to anyone.

Just beware of the juicer poop. That’s kinda freaky.

My bad. Had to share.

1 Tina @ Best Body Fitness July 23, 2012 at 8:37 am

Haha. Juicer poop.

Juices always look so yummy to me and refreshing…but I’m always too wary to juice for myself. 1) the mess. 2) I worry it won’t fill me up as a snack. Yet I drink green smoothies? Don’t question my logic. haha. 3) the mess. I seriously fear the mess. 4) Is it expensive bec you have to buy so much more produce? So, not only am I crazy…but I’m cheap too.

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 23, 2012 at 11:23 pm

I don’t feel like I buy any more produce than normal! I think I just end up using it in different ways since I now have a juicer. :) and I’ve actually gotten used to the cleanup, thankfully. it gets easier!

3 Faith @ For the Health of It July 23, 2012 at 8:52 am

I was really on the fence about that groupon deal…I ended up passing and now I’m regretting it! I’ve been wanting a juicer for forever, I just saw a few reviews on the big boss that made me nervous. Glad to hear it’s working well for you though – be sure to let us know how a cherry-infused juice turns out!
Faith @ For the Health of It recently posted..Physical Activity Spotlight: Rethinking our Approach to Physical ActivityMy Profile

4 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots July 23, 2012 at 9:19 am

Juicing is definitely something that I want to try! I have heard great things about it and after watching the documentary ‘Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead’ I became extremely interested in it. I just need to bite the bullet and buy a juicer!

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 23, 2012 at 11:25 pm

my friend told me about that documentary, I think! I’d recommend biting that bullet. ;)

6 Danica @ It's Progression July 23, 2012 at 9:36 am

I really want a juicer but am having a hard time accepting how much it costs! I’ll have to keep my eyes on Groupon…
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Food, Inc.My Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 23, 2012 at 11:33 pm

yes! the Groupon deal makes it totally worth it.

8 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 23, 2012 at 9:50 am

I’ve tried juicing before too and I feel like as long as you have some sweet and fruity elements it can be delicious, but if you mix in too many veggies and only include a little something sweet (like maybe only one apple and a ton more veggies) it winds up tasting like a garden in a cup haha. Also, although I really liked juicing I felt like I was buying a TON of veggies just to get a small cup of juice. I think if I’m going to buy that much produce I’d rather eat it throughout the week instead of downing a cup in 5 minutes. Keep us posted on your thoughts though!

9 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More July 23, 2012 at 9:01 pm

That’s kind of how I feel, I like to eat vs. drink. Though I do like my smoothies, but I feel like I use more of the veggie/fruit that way.
Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More recently posted..Fitness BreakthroughMy Profile

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 23, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I totally agree! I tried a celery-based juice today and it wasn’t nearly as good. ratio is crucial!

11 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) July 23, 2012 at 10:05 am

What’s the real deal with clean up? It’s one reason I hesitate to jump on the juice bandwagon!
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Monday Morning AnnouncementsMy Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 23, 2012 at 11:35 pm

ACTUALLY, I’ve kind of gotten used to it. I was complaining, but it’s really not all that bad. I think it’s worth it!

13 Kate July 23, 2012 at 10:05 am

so even though it’s obviously still good for you, my mom and i read in one of her nursing magazines that the guy who released the data on spinach’s iron levels did the math wrong and added one too many 0′s to the iron percentage! just thought that was interesting! no one ever thought to challenge it before now

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2012 at 12:06 am

whaat! why have I never heard this before?

15 Yellow Haired Girl July 23, 2012 at 10:16 am

Hahaha. I’ve never thought to call it juicer poop. I probably will from now on.

I have a super ghetto juicer that I don’t use enough. I need to jump back on the juicing train!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..RealizationsMy Profile

16 Michelle @ Blogitness July 23, 2012 at 11:10 am

I’ve never tried juicing before! Thanks for sharing the recipes!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday (1)My Profile

17 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola July 23, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Once you start juicing, it seriously becomes addictive! And it’s amazing how you really don’t need to add sweetener because it’s tasty on it’s own! My favorite one to make is a green drink– kale, spinach, celery, parsley, apples, lime, lemon. So, so delicious! Cucumber is another one that produces a lot of juice so it’s good to add!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Starting the Weekend Off RightMy Profile

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2012 at 12:08 am

oooh, i need to add cucumber!

19 Liz @ Southern Charm July 23, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Juicer poop is the worse!! haha. I always get creeped out by it!! LoL.

But yay – I love love LOVE juicing! Celery and carrots are my favorites ways to “bulk” up any juice!
Liz @ Southern Charm recently posted..My ‘Tee WeekendMy Profile

20 Laura July 23, 2012 at 1:29 pm

I am so glad you talked about juicing. I have been thinking about getting a juicer for some time but I just wasnt sure if it would be worth it. I know I would use it because I go through the work to use the blender to make smoothies but I wasnt sure it would be worth it.

When you juice do also eat a meal with it or do you use it as a meal replacement?
Laura recently posted..Feeling Icky and SickyMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2012 at 12:09 am

I definitely don’t use it as a meal replacement. I have it as a snack or alongside a meal. :)

22 Rachel July 23, 2012 at 1:36 pm

Fun!! I’ve been wanting a juicer, well first trying to get my mom to agree to it lol so I’ll have to wait until I move out. I’ve heard such great things about it :)
Rachel recently posted..ZombieMy Profile

23 Alysha @Shesontherun July 23, 2012 at 1:43 pm

I saw a documentary about juicing and now I am totally coveting a juicer.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..First Repeat Run!My Profile

24 Bethany July 23, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Juicing is AMAZING! Especially for a cleanse/fast. Sometimes the taste can be weird but one you get used to it, you start to crave it!
Bethany recently posted..Saturday in PicturesMy Profile

25 Amber K July 23, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I have had a few different fresh juices at health stores but I just cant get on board. Not a fan! Just means more water for me I guess!
Amber K recently posted..Katy Perry = Tears?My Profile

26 Lisa July 23, 2012 at 3:27 pm

Juicer poop, that’s just classy.
I definitely love juicing, but its such a hassle to clean that bad boy.
You can use the pulp in like muffins and stuff like that! I’ve seen other people do it, never actually tried it myself.
Lisa recently posted..Protein-y Eats and Easy DinnersMy Profile

27 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 24, 2012 at 12:10 am

OH WOW. now I really want to try that!

28 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 23, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Lol… I hadn’t though of juicer poop before… NICE! :) Now I don’t know if I’ll be able to use that “poop” in my muffins and crackers anymore… haha! I love to juice!! Beets, apple, and carrots are my favorite!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..MIMM #8My Profile

29 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 23, 2012 at 6:50 pm

Love these ideas! I need to finally open my new juicer and try them out!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Did ya miss me?My Profile

30 Lyndsey July 24, 2012 at 11:39 am

OK, my favorite juice recipes:
1. Green Lemonade (Reboot your life recipe)
2 handfuls of Spinach, Half (or whole) cucumber, 1 green apple, and half a lemon.
It’s the most refreshing and delish recipe I’ve tried. Perfect as a snack or post workout drink.

2. Gazpacho (another Reboot Recipe + additions)
2 Roma Tomatoes, 1 red pepper, 1 cucumber, 1 stalk of celery, 1/4 a red onion, cilantro, half a jalapeno
So amazing, perfect for juice that counts as “dinner”

That’s my two sense. Happy juicing!!
Lyndsey recently posted..Recipe: Spicy Edamame HummusMy Profile

31 julie July 24, 2012 at 12:37 pm

PLEASE tell me you’re juicing because you got accepted onto Sean’s season of the bachelor…
julie recently posted..a girly weekend getawayMy Profile

32 Kendalyn July 25, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Celery is good to bulk up juice, but cucumbers are even better! :) I make a lot of juice with beets, apples, and beet greens – apples and pears always sweeten up the veggies and make it super tasty! Enjoy your juicer!