Freakin’ Ribs.

July 10, 2012 · 12 comments

Remember when I hurt my ribs and was denied exercise for a while? I was told I had a chostocondral separation, or the cartilage connecting my ribs to my sternum was torn.

Here I was, doing really well on my fitmixer boot camp and meal plan, and a week ago, my rib suddenly started hurting again. Frustration doesn’t begin to cover it.

I decided instead of going back to the MD to be told to rest and take more pain killers, I’d go to the ART specialist I saw about a year ago for my shin splint issues (if you don’t recall my visit to the ART specialist, check this old post out… gosh, I’m such a little bitty in that video — was that really only a year ago?).

Anyway, Dr. Browning is my new best friend. He told me he believed I actually had a rib head out, which could be fixed by a chiropractor. He warmed up the soft tissue surrounding my ribs, and I have had two chiropractic since that visit. I have been forbidden any core work and strength exercises, but after a few off days, I’ve been allowed to slowly build my mileage. I’m up to 4 miles, and I’m finally pain-free. To say the least, I’m a believer in chiropractic work! That guy works some serious magic.

He also told me I may have actually broken a rib back in March. With all the inflammation I still had around the area in July, he thought the injury may have just begun repairing itself before becoming irritated again by my stellar boot camp moves.

I’m missing boot camp, but I’m happy to have the problem nipped in the bud. It also may be God’s way of keeping me from dying out there in the obnoxious heat everyone’s complaining about.

Insert complaint about my life almost ending during a noontime 4 miler on Saturday.

Forgive me if this post is only halfway coherent. Tonight is our final dress rehearsal before our invitational dress rehearsal tomorrow night, and despite the fact that I’m overtired and seriously scatterbrained, IIIII’M EXCITED!

And so is my healed rib.

1 Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life July 10, 2012 at 6:21 am

Yay for a healed rib!!

And yay for dress rehearsal. Break a leg!
Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life recently posted..The Smile CollectiveMy Profile

2 Kristen @ notsodomesticated July 10, 2012 at 6:49 am

Man, you’ve been having so many health issues this year. But I’m glad to hear things seem to be on the mend!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bringing Chipotle into my home kitchen.My Profile

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat July 10, 2012 at 7:02 am

Enjoy your dress rehearsal and your opening night! A second opinion can be so helpful!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Miscellaneous MondayMy Profile

4 Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness July 10, 2012 at 7:34 am

Ouch!!! Feel better soon! And good luck with the show!
Danielle @ Clean Food Creative Fitness recently posted..Totally Paleo Pear and Walnut SaladMy Profile

5 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 10, 2012 at 7:57 am

I’m glad you’re feeling better. My hip pain keeps flaring up, and you’re right, “frustrating” doesn’t begin to explain it.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Beast ModeMy Profile

6 Yellow Haired Girl July 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Glad the rib is healed! Whoop whoop!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Struggle With AnonymityMy Profile

7 Heather (Heather's Dish) July 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

chiropractic stuff is definitely a huge help – i’m so glad you’re pain free!
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Red Velvet Baked DonutsMy Profile

8 Amber K July 10, 2012 at 2:39 pm

That sounds awful to deal with! Hope it doesn’t give you any grief while you’re on stage, because you’re going to do awesome 🙂
Amber K recently posted..Weekend LessonsMy Profile

9 Daner July 10, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Damn those hard hugs!!

10 Lisa July 11, 2012 at 11:26 am

Good luck with the dress rehearsal! You’ll do awesome! I’m glad the rib is finally feeling better, I broke my rib about 6 months ago and its finally healed nicely!
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #16My Profile

11 Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean July 11, 2012 at 9:44 pm

YAYYYY! So glad your rib is feeling better and you’re able to start running again 😀
Electra @ Vanilla Bean Lean recently posted..Playground WorkoutMy Profile

12 Easa July 12, 2012 at 1:49 am

Yay for opening night. All the world’s a stage…