The First Bridal Gown

June 18, 2012 · 55 comments

…that has ever been put on my body.

Photo Credit: Will King Photography

Did I just freak anybody out?

No, I didn’t have some crazy secret whirlwind romance and get hitched this weekend. On the contrary, last Thursday, I was cast as one of the model brides in a photo shoot for Hampton Roads Wedding Planner Magazine. And here, you can have a little behind-the-scenes action.

The styling was incredible for the shoot. If anyone is in the market for some hair and makeup stylists in the Hampton Roads area, I would wholeheartedly recommend Crystal from High Voltage Hair (pictured above), Chelsea Styles, Lauren Townsend (also pictured above), and Kristine Marie Makeup Artistry. Their skills impressed me to no end.

We were each tossed into a hair chair, given a healthy dose of makeup, and thrown into a dress and jewelry. My set was in front of the winery cafe, in front of some sweet wine barrels, and on a balcony all Juliet-style.

Check out my second look Crystal pieced together in 10 minutes! I would kill for that talent.

For the final shot, all the “brides” got together on some wine barrels. Pretty gorgeous setting, no?

Photo Credit: Will King Photography

It goes without saying that Will King is a creative genius.

I’m that little poofy cupcake up there. And then we cheesed for Crystal at the end.

We spent the entire day at Williamsburg Winery being all fierce and bridal… aaand then I threw on my shorts and ran to rehearsal in record timing. Here’s to hoping being a real bride will be as fun as playing a fake one for a day. ;)

1 Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters June 18, 2012 at 3:32 am

Saw the first dress on Instagram and loved it! You look so pretty in it!
Lauren @ Sugar Coated Sisters recently posted..Spelling Bee!My Profile

2 Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli June 18, 2012 at 5:53 am

Wow! That looks like so much fun! And of course you look absolutely amazing m’dear! Love love LOVE that intricate braided hairstyle…ugh, my fingers would end up knotted in my hair for sure! Lol
Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli recently posted..You Guys!My Profile

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

yeah, there’s no way I could have done that myself.

4 meg June 18, 2012 at 6:44 am

wow!! gorgeous!!

5 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 18, 2012 at 6:52 am

How fun!! Looks like an awesome day … what could be better than getting pampered and hanging out in a gorgeous dress all day long?!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Food Trucks Rock (plus some exciting news!).My Profile

6 Michelle @ Blogitness June 18, 2012 at 7:34 am

You look beautiful! I love the first dress and the braided hair ….. I wish I wasn’t so illiterate when it comes to doing hair!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..PB Crave Review and Giveaway!My Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:15 pm

me too. every single day.

8 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third June 18, 2012 at 7:37 am

Oh my gosh how fun!! You basically played the best game of dress up ever!!! You make a gorgeous bride, lady! :)

9 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy June 18, 2012 at 7:37 am

How exciting! That’s so neat that you were chosen!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Scenes from the WeekendMy Profile

10 Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 18, 2012 at 7:44 am

You look stunning, Alyssa! You will definitely make a gorgeous bride! What an awesome opportunity for you! Loving the hair too! (This is all right up my ally.. 52 days til wedding bliss!!)
Cait @ Beyond Bananas recently posted..Summer Bucket ListMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

woohoooo! good luck!!

12 Coco June 18, 2012 at 7:51 am

You look beautiful! I LOVE the braided hair style- it looks like it was a great time playing dress up :)

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 18, 2012 at 8:15 am

You look absolutely gorgeous – how did you score that gig? So fun!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..what i ate growing upMy Profile

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:14 pm

big kisses to you, chels. ;) I do some of these shenanigans on the side… and usually don’t tell anyone about it. but being a bride was too fun to not share. ;)

15 katie June 18, 2012 at 8:20 am

Will you marry ME?!!! Hehehe! You looked so beautiful at least you know what a knock out bride you will be now ;)

LOVED your hair, if only my son could do my hair, this is why I need a daughter, I want her to be a hairstylist and make up artist ;)
<3 <3 <3
katie recently posted..MIMM {3}My Profile

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I do, Katie.

17 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots June 18, 2012 at 8:46 am

you look stunning in those dresses! I am in love with the first one u have on, I hope u keep if for when u do get hitched ;)

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I wish I could have kept it. ;) I actually was not a fan of it at all on the hanger, but once I saw what it looked like on, was a pretty big fan.

19 chelcie @ chelcie's food files June 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

you look so beautiful in the gown! i am obsessed with that hair do!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Saturday ThingsMy Profile

20 Bailey June 18, 2012 at 9:07 am

Geesh your gorgeous! You should def keep the first dress for yourself!

21 Em @ Living & Learning June 18, 2012 at 9:30 am

omggggeee – so pretty. loveeee that first dress & loveee the second hair style. so perfect.
Em @ Living & Learning recently posted..Marvelous in my Monday.My Profile

22 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health June 18, 2012 at 9:35 am

You look AMAZING!!! That sounds like such a fun experience :D .
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..My Little’s WeddingMy Profile

23 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries June 18, 2012 at 9:50 am

You looked BEAUTIFUL!! Ahhhh those dresses are to DIE for. I’ve never tried on a wedding dress, but I have a feeling it would be so fun to play dress up for a day!
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..“Ohhhh Sometimes I Get a Good Feeling”My Profile

24 Nicole June 18, 2012 at 9:53 am

Ummmm, you are GORGEOUS
Nicole recently posted..Reality Check and a recipe!My Profile

25 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 18, 2012 at 9:59 am

beautiful!!! girl you gotta live that one up – now you’ll have TWO days where you’re a blushing bride :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Baked Turkey Ricotta MeatballsMy Profile

26 Yellow Haired Girl June 18, 2012 at 10:04 am

That’s like the coolest game of dress up ever. You look beautiful! And that braided hairstyle is insane … I love it!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..I’m 22!My Profile

27 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! June 18, 2012 at 10:47 am

you look gorgeous of course! you look so classy with the pearls and lipstick! love it!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..It’s Monday–And I Have Random Thoughts For YouMy Profile

28 Kace June 18, 2012 at 10:59 am

My mom says I’m not allowed to try on wedding dresses until there’s a groom. It’s the same rule she applied to prom dresses and dates.
Kace recently posted..Organization StationMy Profile

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:12 pm

haaha. when my mom saw the photos, she said “All you need is a Groom, Alyssa.”

…details.

30 Brittany (healthy slice of life) June 18, 2012 at 11:50 am

Your life is fun :)
Brittany (healthy slice of life) recently posted..Mountain WeekendMy Profile

31 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola June 18, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Omigosh this looks like so, so much fun! I love everything wedding-related, even though I’m very far off from any nuptials myself!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Daddy’s DayMy Profile

32 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 18, 2012 at 1:40 pm

Congrats girl! What an awesome opportunity. That seems like a freakin’ blast!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Irish BoysMy Profile

33 Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife June 18, 2012 at 1:52 pm

You look gorgeous!! What a beautiful setting, as well!! & the hair…stunning!!
Alex @ Healthy Life Happy Wife recently posted..The Time I Ran The NYRR Mini 10k & Ran 4 Miles HomeMy Profile

34 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm

i’m sure i’ll be the 1,983 person to tell you this, but “girl, you so pretty!”
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..i gotta crowMy Profile

35 Alysha @Shesontherun June 18, 2012 at 2:16 pm

How fun – I absolutely adore the dress you wore in your second photo.
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Happy Father’s Day!My Profile

36 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile June 18, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Gorgeous! That looks like so much fun!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..I Did It!My Profile

37 Amber K June 18, 2012 at 2:28 pm

You look amazing! And that hairdo is so cool. I’m always amazed at what people can do with hair.
Amber K recently posted..It’s Monday Already?My Profile

38 Katie June 18, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Um, can I get married again and wear that dress and have my hair done like that?! Puhleeeze?!!

You are absolutely gorgeous.

39 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 18, 2012 at 4:38 pm

looks like a blast! what a great opportunity. do you model often?
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..weekend recap: insta-overloadMy Profile

40 Angela June 18, 2012 at 6:53 pm

You look so beautiful, Alyssa! I am OBSESSED with both of those looks. Seriously. Especially the braided up-do. Stunning! I couldn’t be further away from saying I do, but this makes me want to go and get married, like, right now…

41 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I’m right there with ya, girlfriend. ;)

42 kristen @ livinlifeinlouie June 18, 2012 at 11:28 pm

you look so pretty! and it looks like so much fun!

43 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie June 19, 2012 at 7:51 am

I love the first one! That’s almost exactly what I’m looking for!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..My Milwaukee Bucket ListMy Profile

44 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:11 pm

it’s from Pure English Couture Bridal House in Virginia Beach, VA, if you’re reaaallly serious about it: http://www.pureenglishbridal.com/ :)

45 Lena @Fit on the Rocks June 19, 2012 at 9:19 am

You look absolutely gorgeous! One of my co-workers did bridal modeling and fashion shows a lot when she was younger, and she says it’s going to be hard for her to find “the one” when the time comes because she’s tried on hundreds of beautiful gowns…womp womp.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Orangetheory SubmissionMy Profile

46 Paige @ Running Around Normal June 19, 2012 at 11:15 am

You look gorgeous Alyssa! Your hair!! Amazing :)

47 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:10 pm

you’re the sweetest, Paige!

48 Kellie @ Compelled To Do So June 19, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Beautiful! You look stunning!

I modeled in a bridal fashion show once, and the stylist gave my a fauxhawk. Not joking. I like your look MUCH better!
Kellie @ Compelled To Do So recently posted..CurrentlyMy Profile

49 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 19, 2012 at 5:13 pm

You just fulfilled every girls dream playing dress up for a day! You look AMAZING! What a fun thing to be a part of…gave me memories of being in my wedding dress which now hangs in my closet begging to be played with. Maybe it is time to twirl around and feel all bridal again.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..No Posts Were Found!My Profile

50 Sam @ reddyorknot.blogspot.com June 19, 2012 at 5:45 pm

You look so gorgeous in those dresses!! Once you try a dress on, everything starts to speed up so who knows maybe this is true even if you’re not yet in the wedding market!!

51 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 20, 2012 at 3:09 pm

haahaha… we’ll see about that.. ;)

52 Jessica June 19, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Congratulations on the shoot! You looked amazing!
Jessica recently posted..Summer is a collective unconsciousMy Profile

53 Lisa June 19, 2012 at 11:52 pm

Looks like a ton of fun! What a great photographer! And you look gorgeous of course.
Lisa recently posted..Baby foodMy Profile

54 Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons June 20, 2012 at 8:09 pm

soooooo beautiful!!!!!! =) You seriously need to model more! and visit me. duh.
Jenn L @ Peas and Crayons recently posted..Sensible Snack-a-Thon + WIAW #74My Profile

55 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More June 24, 2012 at 1:20 am

How fun! You look wonderful!
Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More recently posted..Friday Fit FixMy Profile