My Fitmixer Boot Camp Progress

June 22, 2012 · 54 comments

I’ve been mentioning my participation in Fitmixer Boot Camp left and right. I have also, however, neglected to note my progress on the program.

Since I started the boot camp a few days late (the kickoff was when I was still in California), I’m a little behind in the program. I plan to continue the boot camp a week later than everyone else to even out the time I’m on the plan.

The Nutrition Plan:

On Fitmixer Boot Camp, I have a nutrition plan that is based on calorie count tailored to my level of activity. While I have never been one to count calories, I found this pretty easy and convenient to track my using the MyFitnessPal app on my iPhone. I was given meal ideas and calorie guidelines , but for the most part, I feel a lot of freedom while on this meal plan. In comparison, I have a lot more freedom on this meal plan than I did on the Jim White Fitness nutrition plan I was following in the winter. At first, I was a little skeptical of all the freedom. It’s not as tailored specifically to me and my eating habits as Jim’s plan was.

After following it for about 5 weeks now, I can say I really like my Fitmixer nutrition plan. I don’t feel restricted, my meals aren’t lacking, and I’m making healthy choices without depriving myself of indulgences. I like this freedom!

I’m one of those people who wants something even more when I’m told I can’t have it. I think this is why diets that “cut out” food groups don’t work. On strict diets, I tend to do really well for a few weeks… and then I go all banana sandwich and stuff my face with the forbidden fruit for days. And then we’re back to square one.

Since Fitmixer’s nutrition plan is more about balance and calorie exchange, I can go to Skinny Dip after rehearsal, I can have a heavier dinner if I’ve eaten a lighter lunch, and I can splurge on a few Oreos or chips and dip without feeling like I’m backtracking. I am also truly enjoying the Fitmixer products, especially the aminos during/post-workout and the Fitmixer Slim Chocolate for my morning snack.

My two recent plans are similar in a few ways, as well. Both call for eating every few hours (thank God — I need that), and both are veggie and protein-heavy.

The Bottom Line: I am really, really enjoying this nutrition plan. I don’t feel restricted, I’m feeling energized and satiated, and tracking my meals via the MyFitnessPal app keeps me from mindless snacking. I’m sure this plan will turn into my everyday healthy eating habits when I’m not technically “on” a plan.

The Fitness Portion:

I was a little nervous going into the boot camp since it called for body weight workouts 5 times a week. Could I still run? WHEN would I run? Would I be too sore to run? Will I love the change, or will I miss running? Will I have time to do all this between a full day of work and a night of rehearsal?

At the start of the plan, I would log onto the boot camp website and complete the daily workout as quickly as I could and take Chloe on a quick 2 mile run afterwards. My legs were feeling pretty fatigued, but I was happy I was able to get in Chloe’s exercise, the boot camp routine, and a short run.

The workouts are no joke. I love that they can be done at my house on my living room floor with just my yoga mat — no weights required. And while it’s pretty rare for me to learn a bunch of new moves in one workout, I truly am learning in these boot camp workout routines. I also really like that most of the workouts target multiple muscle groups and incorporate cardio.

One of my favorites is the workout made into a game by using a deck of cards. It’s r-o-u-g-h, but rewarding!

For each “move” in the routine, there is an instructional video to show proper form and modified versions. This is so much easier for me than reading descriptions to try to decipher how to work the right muscle groups. Me likey.

And lastly, a huge plus: The workouts are fun! While some routines are repeated, Alicia and Robin change them up each time by varying the reps and some of the exercises. I like logging onto the website to see a routine I’ve already completed with an added challenge.

My Progress:

Now, let’s talk weight and muscle tone. I would consider myself successful on Jim’s plan while I was following it, but it was a little harder to stick to while “living life” at the same time. The plan went kaput after my surgeries, and I gained back all the weight I had lost on the plan… and then some. Once I could run again, I was feeling a bit better, but the Blend Retreat was really the first time I was able to work on my muscles. This is where I met the awesome people behind Fitmixer, and I was excited to enroll in the boot camp and jump-start my weight training once again.

At first, the workouts were hard. I was almost starting from scratch, and I’d be lying if I said it was a breeze all the way through. But now, after 5 weeks, my arms might be the most toned they have ever been “without the bulk.” My fitness classes at my gym were giving me some serious muscle, but my arms were getting bigger. On the Fitmixer plan, I feel remarkably stronger, noticeably more toned, and more fit all around.

At the beginning of boot camp, I was doing extremely well with my healthy eating and sticking to the workouts. I started weighing myself each morning (which I hate doing; we call the scale “the throne of lies” around here), and I was horrified by what I saw. After a week on the plan, according to the scale, my weight went up by 10 pounds. I e-mailed Alicia and Robin at Fitmixer and asked them WTF was going on, as I had never even seen that number on the scale before. I knew muscle weighed more than fat, but I also knew it made no sense for my body weight so quickly. They promptly e-mailed me back explaining that my body was probably going through a fluid exchange. Since I was running a lot less and therefore sweating less while gaining some muscle, my body was retaining a lot of water. Robin told me to chill out and not get on the scale until I had to for my weekly weigh-in report. I happily obliged.

Thankfully, after about 2.5 weeks on the plan, the scale began to show me some results. Read: I need to get myself a body composition scale.

I’m very happy to report that I’m not finished the boot camp yet, and I’m officially 10 pounds down from when I started. That, my friends, is a successful plan. I’d most definitely recommend Fitmixer Boot Camp (and its yummy products!) to anyone interested in at-home workouts who doesn’t mind recording meals on a website/phone application. Fitmixer gets two enthusiastic thumbs up from me.

For those of you also participating in boot camp: How has your progress been? What are you loving about it? And for those of you interested in joining in the boot camp fun for the round, feel free to drop questions for me here.

1 Alysia @ Slim Sanity June 22, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I had an egg white scramble this morning! yum
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Wine of the Week – It’s a Head Snapper!My Profile

2 lynne @ lgsmash June 22, 2012 at 1:11 pm

I love meal plans that offer flexability! That’s more ‘real life’ than a super restrictive plan for sure. I didn’t get into the FitMixer Bootcamp this time but am hoping to jump in on the next round! I know pretty much ZERO about weights and body weight exercises but would love to learn and tone up.

Thanks for sharing your progress!
lynne @ lgsmash recently posted..Fitness: Dirty Dash Colorado Springs + Giveaway!My Profile

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 22, 2012 at 2:12 pm

The cool part is that you don’t NEED to know a thing about weights to do this. :) You’ll love it!

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:54 am

Lynne, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/

5 lynne @ lgsmash July 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Thanks so much! I’d signed up for the pre-registration to show interest but hadn’t seen that real registration was active! I appreciate the heads up!
lynne @ lgsmash recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: Pre-Marital CounselingMy Profile

6 Haughty by Nature June 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Dang girl. 10 lbs? Awesome.

I’m also a little confused…this is online + shakes and stuff?
Haughty by Nature recently posted..RHOC: Did You Just Bite My Bow?My Profile

7 Haughty by Nature June 22, 2012 at 1:12 pm

I’m currently trying to replace 2 meals/day with green smoothies, hence why that last post didn’t make much sense. Apologies.
Haughty by Nature recently posted..RHOC: Did You Just Bite My Bow?My Profile

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Hahaha. Ensley, I love you. And yes, this is all online/phone call conferences (which I am never able to participate in because I always have rehearsal!). As far as “shakes” goes, there’s protein powder and a slim shake, but I don’t really replace full meals with it. I just drink it for my morning snack a lot. :) Does that make sense?

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:55 am

if you’re interested in the next boot camp, Ensley-love… here is the link to register: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/

10 Carrie June 22, 2012 at 1:58 pm

Thats awesome! So happy to hear your progress. I am loving the Bootcamp too. The nutritional support and guidance was very key for me. I no longer mindlessly eat and the workouts challenge me. I see progress in my flexibility, balance and cardio capacity…I mainly just lifted prior to Fitmixer so the Tabata stuff has been awesome for me. As of our last weigh in, I’m down 9 pounds. Amazing. I love the support and feel as if I’ve made some friends. I have encouraged some friends and family to join the next one. :) I’m in love the the protein powders…so tasty and smooth. No grainy texture and the Amino’s are a lifesaver!!!

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 22, 2012 at 2:14 pm

I love hearing that, Carrie! Congrats on your 9 lbs!

12 Jamie June 22, 2012 at 2:06 pm

I like the way you write. You should get a fancy scale so I can come over and use it. I always think you look great, but I know how you feel about yourself is most important and I’m glad you’re feeling good! Ready for two weeks of play time? Can we run in the AM or late night though!?! Bahahaha. Love you!!!

13 Natalie June 22, 2012 at 3:01 pm

This sounds great!! Is the program expensive? (Hope that’s okay to ask!)
I always fail when I throw myself into totally complicated meal plans and work-out schedules, so I wonder if something like this would be a better fit for me!

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:20 am

You definitely get a lot for what you pay… I can tell ya that much. :) This round was $150, but they are still in the midst of deciding how much to charge for the next boot camp. You should fill out an interest form on their website! I’ll keep you all updated here when the prices are released.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..My Fitmixer Boot Camp ProgressMy Profile

15 Alieh June 22, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Ooooh that cous cous and veggie bowl looks delish…could you share the recipe? :)

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:19 am

Sure! :) I’ll post it up here next week.

17 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries June 22, 2012 at 3:34 pm

great job on your progress girl! do you the decrease in muscle bulk is from doing mostly bodyweight exercises? i can bulk up quickly too!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Coconut Banana Blueberry Muffins + June Yoga Challenge Week 3 RecapMy Profile

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

I think so, because I tend to go for the heftier weights at the gym. I’m liking the bodyweight results!

19 JenG June 22, 2012 at 3:36 pm

I’m with Natalie…can you share a price range? This sounds pretty great. i need to get onto some sort of eating plan, but really don’t want to omit my summer beers and grill outs.
I’m moving next week and will have to cut back on my jazzercise classes due to location, so this could be perfect!

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

They are in the process of deciding what to charge for the next boot camp. I’ll update as soon as they release the information!

21 JenG June 23, 2012 at 9:56 am

great, thank you! i found more info on the current session and signed up as interested to receive more info on the next.

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:55 am

Jen, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/ :)

23 Alysha @Shesontherun June 22, 2012 at 3:53 pm

For some reason, bootcamps totally intimidate me. I find it much easier to run for an hour (why is that!?)
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..King Arthur Flour Brown Bag Banana BarsMy Profile

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

I used to feel that way, too. You’re not alone!

25 Carrie June 22, 2012 at 4:17 pm

Its 150.00 for the 12 week bootcamp and you get two jugs of the Amino’s and more than your weight in their protein powder! LOL. I was shocked at what we received. In addition to that, you of course get your individualized nutrition plan and the daily workouts and support. It’s really awesome and easy to incorporate the workouts into your schedule. I sound like a commercial for Fitmixer! :)

26 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

They’re actually still deciding what they will charge for next boot camp, too. :)

27 Kara June 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Wow girl congrats!!! That is awesome. And interesting about the fluid exchange! I would love to try this out especially since you can do it in your own home :)

28 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:56 am

Kara, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/

29 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 22, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Do you mind if I ask what your allowed calorie amount is? I realize it’s totally individual, but i wanted to get an idea. I want to do the boot camp but I’m just concerned about the calorie counting part since it’s been something I struggled with
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Versatile Blogger and Bar TestingMy Profile

30 Carrie June 22, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Katie, mine is set at anywhere between 1400 and 1500 daily. The nutritionist with Fitmixer communicates with each of us weekly and we have to weigh in every Monday and email it to her. I’ve never counted calories or logged my food. This was all new to me and surprisingly was fairly easy since They give us a calorie range opposed to one solid number to hit.

31 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:15 am

Carrie’s right… and the numbers differ for all of us. My calorie intake per day is 1800-1900.

32 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats June 23, 2012 at 11:05 am

okay, your number makes me feel better. I’d only seen people mention 1400 and with how active I can be that just seemed a little low! I’ll have to e-mail them and ask about it! I have about 8-10 lbs I want to loose so I think this would be great, especially if there’s a round that starts after my marathon!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Random Run!My Profile

33 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 22, 2012 at 8:26 pm

You go girl! I’m LOVING the bootcamp too. My progress hasn’t been quite as significant, but I’ve apparently lost 2 lbs and I’m really happy with that. It wasn’t my plan to “lose” weight, but more change up my workouts and get more toned, if I lost weight in the process it was a bonus. But we took down my calorie intake and I think losing a couple pounds, is fine and I feel great.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // The Good & The BadMy Profile

34 Yellow Haired Girl June 22, 2012 at 11:33 pm

This sounds like a really great program. I’ve really enjoyed hearing how everyone is liking it – I think I would consider this in the future!

Loved the recap!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..My Weight In FruitMy Profile

35 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:57 am

Hey girly, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/

36 Lisa June 23, 2012 at 12:14 am

This is a great review! It sounds like your progress is so rewarding and this will be a lifelong change! I hope they come out with another bootcamp, because I’d be pretty interested in trying it out after I heard people have such success with it. I already count calories, so I would have no problem with that one. Its great that there is no huge restriction and cutting out an entire food group, don’t like the idea of that. Congrats on the success you’ve had so far!!
Lisa recently posted..Fit FridayMy Profile

37 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 23, 2012 at 8:14 am

They will be having another boot camp… stay tuned for more info :)

38 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:57 am

Lisa, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/

39 Katherine @ The Fit Lady Sings June 23, 2012 at 11:42 am

Congratulations, Alyssa!

Quick question… would you recommend this program for anyone just looking to tone up/improve healthy eating habits, rather than lose weight? I’m in the process of training for a triathlon now, but I’d be interested in checking out Fitmixer when I’m finished. I like to try new programs, and this one sounds great!

40 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 24, 2012 at 10:25 am

I would most definitely recommend it to someone who is just looking to tone up/improve his or her eating habits. I honestly jumped on the bandwagon for this.. the weight loss was just an added bonus. :)

41 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

Katherine, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/

42 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway June 23, 2012 at 6:58 pm

I am a runaholic just like you! So my only hesitation with this program is not being able to run as much as I would like!!! Do you feel like you are missing out on a running or that the program is enough?
Hayley @ Running Down the Runway recently posted..M.I.A.My Profile

43 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 24, 2012 at 10:24 am

Definitely not, since I can decide what to do each day. You could only do part of a workout and run, you could skip one and run, or you can stay true to the program. I’d definitely recommend it!

44 Corrie Anne June 24, 2012 at 1:46 am

I’ve been wanting in that boot camp so badly! I’ve read so many great things about it!!! Awesome progress!
Corrie Anne recently posted..31 Candles: The End of the Birthday Trilogy + Jeopardy & SpeedmitonMy Profile

45 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:58 am

Corrie Anne, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/

46 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List June 24, 2012 at 9:01 am

i’m rocking the bootcamp too!! LOVE LOVE LOVE the workouts – they’ve introduced some new creativity that I’d lost!

47 Katie June 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

I am ALSO 10lbs down from my starting weight…and you’re right, it doesn’t feel too restrictive of anything. MY fave workouts are also the Full House little diddys. So much fun!
Katie recently posted..S’more PieMy Profile

48 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss June 25, 2012 at 10:07 am

YES! twins! :-D

49 Stephanie Walter June 25, 2012 at 11:18 am

Alyssa,

I track my workout and diet on My fitnesspal. Would you be willing to share your user name so that I can follow you on myfitnesspal? It helps motivate me to see when others are working out and what diet they are following etc.

Just let me know if this is something you feel comfortable doing or not.

Thanks,
Stephanie

50 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola June 25, 2012 at 2:33 pm

This program sounds AWESOME! And I love that there is room to splurge and eat normally– that’s what often scares me off from plans because like you, when I’m told I can’t have something, I really, REALLY want it. I’m also not one who knows her way around weights, so workouts that I can do at home sounds perfect! I really would like to tone up and this sounds perfect. Hope to join in on the next round!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..The Fastest Race in the World: Indy 500My Profile

51 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:59 am

Emily, here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/ :)

52 Courtney June 26, 2012 at 10:06 am

I’ve already emailed about getting involved in the second round. Do you have any insight as to when it starts?

53 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss July 16, 2012 at 11:59 am

here is the link to register for the next fitmixer boot camp if you are interested, Courtney: http://fitmixer.com/boot-camp-pre-registration/