Missing the Mileage

June 7, 2012 · 18 comments

I owe you guys a running update.

You’ve probably been visiting LOB lately thinking, “What the heck? What happened to Alyssa, the runner, who would engage me with all kids of running anecdotes, tips and tricks, and failures? Has she splatted on the sidewalk again lately? What’s going on?”

Well. Thankfully, there has been no sidewalk kissing as of late. I’ve stayed off the ground (knock on wood). But you know what else I’ve done? I’ve kind of stayed out of my running shoes altogether.

That’s actually a lie. But honestly, that’s what it feels like.

You see, if you peek at my training log, you’d know I’ve been running a lot less these days. Part of this is due to a busier life and an increasingly busy rehearsal schedule. There’s also Fitmixer Boot Camp to blame for taking up lots of my time and giving me a little (positive) muscle fatigue and leaving me little time and energy to run.

My old mileage has decreased by what feels like 70%. I haven’t run over 6 miles in almost a month. I’m a little weird and confused by these short little baby runs, and it’s hard for me to believe that a little over a year ago, I was gearing up to do my first PDR of 14 miles. I’m pretty excited I won’t have the daunting task of marathon training in the heat this summer, but I really miss the long run endorphins.

On the plus side, my shins haven’t hurt since I have started running slower and running less. That Jack Daniels guy knows what he’s talking about. I plan to continue boot camp, keep getting all beefed up (that’s a joke), and fit in running when I can. This is the plan that’s making me happy for now, so I’m going with it.

In other news, Chloe popped my fourth Bender Ball yesterday. It had arrived in the mail the day before. I was so angry I cried.

I don’t want to talk about it.

…But who knows where I can buy a good patch? I’m determined to not spend money on fifth ball.

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat June 7, 2012 at 11:48 am

Chloe is determined to nix your Bender ball-ing.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Very Snacky DayMy Profile

2 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats June 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

My black lab has eaten THREE of my kindles. I’m currently on number four. Add that in to my chewed Zumba weights, Insanity DVD case, and a whole bunch of Fitness magazines and I can say that I totally feel your pain. Good thing they’re cute…

3 Heather (Heather's Dish) June 7, 2012 at 1:07 pm

OK so i have a bender ball i’m not using – if you want i’ll send it to you!
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Italian Sausage and Spinach Stuffed Shells + GLAD FreezerwareMy Profile

4 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers June 7, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Sorry about the ball. Dogs do the darndest things… repeatedly.

I haven’t been running much either. Luckily not running doesn’t have to equal doing nothing. I’ve been sooooo busy!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..WIAW: Meals on the CheapMy Profile

5 Amber K June 7, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Pets are just so sweet, until they ruin all of your stuff 😉 Although, this totally reminds me to grab mine out of the closet and actually USE it!
Amber K recently posted..The Pain Isn’t Worth ItMy Profile

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 7, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I haven’t been running nearly as much either. A mile here or there is about all I can handle after some of these bootcamp workouts. But I guess a baby run is better than no run at all, huh?
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Photo a Day JuneMy Profile

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated June 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Aww yay for Heather coming through with a replacement! Chloe better behave around it this time! 😉
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A weekend devoid of nutrients.My Profile

8 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness June 7, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Chloe wants all of your attention. Maybe another doggy play date will keep that pup busy with other things! So sad, but yay Heather! 🙂
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Quickie Workout in Bed: Upper Body CardioMy Profile

9 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey June 7, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Oh those puppies –

And not running is okaaay. Even though I miss it!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..freezer friendly mealsMy Profile

10 Michelle @ Blogitness June 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

My puppy likes to eat my running shoes and my TOMS, flip flops…well pretty much anything I put on my feet….including an ankle brace! It’s a good thing she’s so cute! I’m guessing you like the bender ball enough if you keep on buying it! I’ve thought about buying one, should I?
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Metabolic Resistance Training; it’s Efficient!My Profile

11 Nellie June 8, 2012 at 6:19 am

Well sometimes there comes a time where we need to stop or lessen the thing we used to do because of some reasons behind it..
Nellie recently posted..Ernest BeckerMy Profile

12 Tomoko June 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm

A mile here or there is about all I can handle after some of these bootcamp workouts. Thanks for sharing.
Tomoko recently posted..MBA Entrance ExamsMy Profile