You’ll Never Guess…

May 15, 2012 · 52 comments

…Where I am right now.

I’m currently sitting in the California sunshine. Los Angeles, to be exact.

But I have to tell you how I got here. Let’s start by noting the fact that my mom’s 60th birthday is right around the corner.

You know how much I love birthdays. I like to do it up big, and I typically embarrass those who hate birthdays. I figure they’ll look back and thank me eventually.

…Still waiting on a few of you to do so, btw.

Anyway, 60 is obviously a big deal. I’ve gotta capitalize on all of Mama’s hopes and dreams before she turns old and gray and has to be wheeled around everywhere (before send me an angry text for this, mom, that’s a joke).

Last Christmas, I sent my mom an e-mail asking her what she wanted for the holidays. Her reply wasn’t exactly doable by Christmas.

But this request didn’t go unnoticed. My mom and I have religiously watched The Ellen Show since the very beginning. I was in high school, and we would TiVo it and watch it together after school. We both loved Ellen then, and we both still adore her to this day.

Well. Guess where we’re headed?

That’s right. Today, Mom and I are going to be VIP audience members at The Ellen Show. I can’t tell you how excited I am. This is beyond pee-my-pants-excited. I’ve been mentally compiling all my greatest dance moves ever since I clinched the tickets.

Which obviously means you all need to tune in and watch The Ellen Show tomorrow. Check your local listings here.

Mom didn’t even find out about our surprise birthday girls trip until about a week ago when I Skyped with her and told her we were going on a trip and that she needed to pack warm-weather clothes for three days and three nights. She had no idea we were flying into L.A, driving to Burbank, and staying within walking distance of the Warner Bros. lot.

After my half day of work yesterday, we headed to the airport with 3 secret envelopes.

And the big reveal happened around 1 a.m. EST on our second flight.

I think she’s pretty excited. 😉 AS AM I. And I have my wonderful friend Alyssa to thank for helping me make my mama’s birthday extra special.

And now I’m off to eat Pinkberry, see if I can go stalk some attractive famous people, and dance with Ellen. Look for us on the show airing tomorrow! (EDITED TO ADD: THE SHOW WILL AIR ON MEMORIAL DAY)

I should have brought my loofah for the show, huh?

1 Lauren May 15, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Awwww!!! Aren’t you the best daughter!!! So so so awesome and sweet!! 😀 Will definitely have to watch for you guys tomorrow!!

2 Jessica @ www.myhealthypassion.com May 15, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Sounds like a blast!!! Have so much fun, I’l be watching tomorrow!!! Ellen ROCKS!!!

3 Emily May 15, 2012 at 12:57 pm

OMG. this is the cutest, most thoughtful birthday surprise i have EVER seen. How exciting and HOW FUN! I’ll be tuned in tomorrow looking for you both tomorrow – have fun!!!!!
Emily recently posted..long overdue …My Profile

4 alyssa May 15, 2012 at 1:09 pm

lots of love to you and your MAMA! i am so friggin’ excited for you two! love you!

5 Julie @ Running and Riley May 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm

OMG! You totally should have worn the loofah!! (Would they have let you in?..Loofah’s count as “appropriate attire” I think!) Hilarious! Will have to DVR the show!
Julie @ Running and Riley recently posted..First Impressions…are a bitch.My Profile

6 Alysia @ Slim Sanity May 15, 2012 at 1:21 pm

such a fun surprise! 🙂
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..legs & coreMy Profile

7 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 15, 2012 at 1:34 pm

Daughter of the year award! Have a blast!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..A Picture Perfect {Tea} PartyMy Profile

8 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life May 15, 2012 at 1:35 pm

That is such an amazing gift! I will totally be tuning in to see your fab dance moves tomorrow! Happy birthday to your mama!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Mother’s DayuationMy Profile

9 Sana May 15, 2012 at 1:44 pm

My mom said she is jelly of your mom!

10 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling May 15, 2012 at 1:49 pm

That is the sweetest present I have ever heard of! I am going to set my DVR right now so I don’t miss it tomorrow 😉 Oh, and if you get the chance to meet Ellen, you could show her my parody I made for her called ‘Ellen Say Yes’ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WROUYKmudM&feature=g-upl. It’d be a dream come true if she saw it<3 Have fun and dance around for all of us who can't be there 😉
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..Summer {Jobs}My Profile

11 Nikki May 15, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I AM INSANELY ENORMOUSLY jealous!!! AHHHHH that is going to be so freaking fabulous!!!
Nikki recently posted..Moving CompleteMy Profile

12 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile May 15, 2012 at 2:04 pm

That is the best gift ever! Have fun!!!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Weekend ScenesMy Profile

13 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake May 15, 2012 at 2:07 pm

That is an AWESOME birthday gift! I love the idea… I better get saving now so I can treat my mom to something equally as cool when she turns 60 in 3 years! Enjoy your time in CA! It’s by far my favorite state!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Mother’s Day BrunchMy Profile

14 Kaitlyn @Keeping Up with Kaitlyn May 15, 2012 at 2:13 pm

AHHHH I AM SOOOOOOO JEALOUS!! I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE Ellen! What a great gift for your mom!!
Kaitlyn @Keeping Up with Kaitlyn recently posted..Summer GoalsMy Profile

15 Amber K May 15, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Wow, that is so awesome! Have a great time. And happy birthday to your mom!
Amber K recently posted..Birthday WeekendMy Profile

16 Keaghan May 15, 2012 at 2:58 pm

This is the sweetest birthday present ever!! That is just so cute! Lucky mama!

17 Katie @ Katie Moves May 15, 2012 at 3:08 pm

That is the best thing I ever heard!!! omg!!! you are so sweet to your mama! have a blast! I LOVE ellen!
Katie @ Katie Moves recently posted..Uncomfotable= changeMy Profile

18 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 15, 2012 at 3:17 pm

You clearly rock. I expect you to teach Makenzie your ways so I can do something equally awesome 20 years from now. 😉
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Pure IndulgenceMy Profile

19 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 15, 2012 at 3:28 pm

You are such a great daughter! Can’t wait to hear about all of the fun, fun, fun!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Vision Health: 8 Tips for Healthy Eye CareMy Profile

20 Lisa May 15, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Happy birthday to your mama! What a sweet daughter you are! I am seriously SOSOSO jealous! Ellen is my dream lady. I watch her show everydayyy.

21 katie May 15, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Seriously the coolest ever!!!!! I hope to go see Ellen one day, it is my dream!!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your MOM!!! How sweet you did that and her face was SO cute!!
katie recently posted..Beautiful kicks, Beautiful quote, Beautiful workoutMy Profile

22 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Consider it DVRed! I am beyond stoked for you…give Ellen a hug for me!!!

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 15, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Wow, how cool is that?? Hope you guys have an incredible time!! 🙂
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Does anyone actually enjoy bathing suit shopping?My Profile

24 christina May 15, 2012 at 4:43 pm

This is so awesome. Her face in the video is priceless. So cute!!
christina recently posted..I Just Blogged. To Say. I Love You.My Profile

25 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 15, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Was that you talking on the video? If it was, I want to listen to your voice all day long. I love it. 🙂 Not creepy at all or anything.

Have the BEST time! It is like my dream to go to the Ellen show!!!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..encouragementMy Profile

26 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre May 15, 2012 at 5:58 pm

OMG Awww!! Your mom is too cute! Have so much fun at the Ellen Show! I’ll tell my mom to look out for you (she watches it everyday, haha!)
Jillian @ sprinkle massacre recently posted..FITNESS Magazine Meet & Tweet in NYCMy Profile

27 Kate @ life's precious moments May 15, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Oh my goodness that is AWESOME! I am so insanely jealous right now!! Have an absolute blast- I CAN NOT wait to hear all about it!
Kate @ life’s precious moments recently posted..Public Health: Childhood Obesity and Screen TimeMy Profile

28 Erin May 15, 2012 at 6:19 pm

This is adorable! And I’m insanely jealous right now! Setting my DVR when I get home so I can see your sweet dance moves!
Erin recently posted..Catching Up – SFW, Condo News, and RUNNING!!My Profile

29 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 15, 2012 at 8:18 pm

Oh how fun!! We watch Ellen everyday at my office. I’ll have to pay close attention tomorrow!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Zen GardenMy Profile

30 Brittany @ Eating Bird Food May 15, 2012 at 8:19 pm

ahhhh this is awesome. I hope you and your mom have a blast!!
Brittany @ Eating Bird Food recently posted..Quick and Easy Balsamic SalmonMy Profile

31 Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness May 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm

omg what a sweet gift!! I’ll definitely record the show:) Have a BLAST!

32 Chelsea May 15, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I recently stumbled onto your blog and love it! You’re such an inspiration 🙂

Love the Ellen Show, you’ll have so much fun! Dance your pants off lady!

33 GiGi Eats Celebrities May 15, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Aha ha ha ha! I am in LA right now… and love every second of it! I go to show tapings all the time and OMG I went to my first Dancing With The Stars taping the other week and I TOTALLY DIED!!!!! Bruno picked me up, threw me in the air and kissed me, all after I got to sit on his lap at the judges table!!!! OMFG!

Have so much fun at Ellen! Can’t wait to hear what she gives out to the audience! Make sure she knows it’s your mother’s birthday!!!

34 Easa May 16, 2012 at 1:48 am

absolutely adorable!

35 Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee May 16, 2012 at 7:59 am

That is an amazing birthday present!! Have fun 🙂
Lisa @ Jogging on Coffee recently posted..I’m going to Iceland!!!My Profile

36 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 16, 2012 at 8:52 am

This is such a cute and thoughtful idea!! I’m sure your mom was so happy when she found out what you had done for her. I hope you both have the BEST time at the Ellen Show, say hey to her for me! 😉
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..So, Call Me Maybe?My Profile

37 julie May 16, 2012 at 9:01 am

AMAZINGGGGGG!!!! i <333333 ELLEN. you're such a good daughter!
julie recently posted..insanityMy Profile

38 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List May 16, 2012 at 9:07 am

What a sweet mama. and daughter!!

39 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 16, 2012 at 9:10 am

This is so adorable!!! What a great daughter you are 🙂

I TiVoed Ellen everyday in high school and watched it after school too!!! I even considered writing to Ellen asking her to change the time of her show so people could watch it in the afternoons, but eventually I realized that was delusional and I never sent the letter (thank God!)
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Fish TacosMy Profile

40 Hayley @ Running Down the Runway May 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I’m so jealous!! That is so adorable- My Mom would have gone nuts! I must make it to the Ellen show someday: under one condition. Sophia Grace and Rosie must be performing! I am obsessed with them! I hope you guys have an awesome time!
Hayley @ Running Down the Runway recently posted..The Return of Body Pump & A GIVEAWAY!My Profile

41 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola May 16, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Omigosh what an AWESOME surprise! I’m going to have to plan something like that for my mom soon too! And I love the Ellen show as well, I hope you have a great time and get some awesome guests! Can’t wait to hear all about it! Enjoy pinkberry for me– when I lived in LA I had it multiple times a week!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..Derby DayMy Profile