WIAW on the Blend Retreat

May 9, 2012 · 43 comments

It’s been a long time since I’ve participated in WIAW and shown you guys what I’ve been putting down lately.

As I’ve said before, I could never make Life of bLyss a food diary. You all would punch your computer screen with every repeated meal.

BUT, at Blend, things change. We all tried so many delicious foods from our impressive list of sponsers. And I’m gonna show you some of the best stuff that went into my belly all weekend.

Get ready for the longest What I Ate Wednesday of all time.

It’s been said. And it deserves to be said over and over again: Our sponsors were unreal. I’m still so upset I didn’t make it home with a lot of my swag (ugh, how I wanted to try that coconut peanut butter and make the Xagave-based jam at home), but the food and drink they provided at the actual retreat was out of this world.

We had ChobaniFitmixerXagaveThe Simply Bar,  Bob’s Red MillLarabar,  Green Mountain CoffeePure Bliss EatsCore Power,  Cheribundi,  Probarmix1,  Love Grown FoodsCascadian FarmsPangea Organics, Attune Foods,  Nuts About GranolaNuNaturalsLush Nuts,  Optimum Nutrition,  Twin Cakes Bakery,  Colorado Fudge Maker,  PopChips,  Beanitos,  Dry SodaBobo’s Oat Bars,  Hanna’s Herb ShopHealthy Bites,  KIND Bar, and  NatureBox products.

Yeah.

So, I’ll start with the Denver airport and Courtney and my matching “goat cheese” salads.

Not fantastic, but not terrible for airport food. The fantastic part came afterwards…

This was my first time trying Greek Yogurt fro yo, and TCBY’s honey vanilla is delicious. That’s coming from a serious chocolate-lover who never, ever chooses vanilla.

Courtney and I were pretty pressed for time, so after a quick washcloth shower and change, we headed to dinner/cocktail hour.

Hello, spinach dip. Hello, Chardonnay (did you like that, Court?).

And for my entree, I selected the chicken with carmelized onion and broccoli atop a bed of quinoa.

Dessert, as usual, stole the show.

How cute are these mini cupcakes? I love the portion control.

…And then I had four (unpictured, “junkyard,” which was a play on carrot cake and the best of the lot).

Sigh. I’m such a sucker for any salty/sweet combo. The texture of the peanut butter pretzel cupcakes wasn’t as perfect as the junkyard cupcake, but the taste was spot on.

After boot camp on Saturday (more on that later… I just can’t squeeze all this into one post), we had our Fitmixer aminos before heading to breakfast.

Saturday’s breakfast provided by Xagave. It was definitely a highlight meal of the weekend.

See that jam? It was best I’ve ever had in my life. I’m not kidding. I’m so distraught I don’t have my Xagave to recreate it at home.

I was a hungry girl.

And the Keurig-brewed caramel vanilla Green Mountain Coffee was so perfect.

As was our breakfast company.

See those two in the back? They’re the wonderful people at Fitmixer. You’ll be seeing some more of them on the blog soon!

Lunch was a lot of breakfast leftovers. After boot camp and our long hike, I was way too lazy to take photos. Sorry ’bout it.

I did snack on some of our swag throughout the day, though…

Trail mix made from Xagave-sweetened granola with dried fruit. The granola was lemon-blueberry flavored. Swoon.

Has anyone else tried the Uber Larabars? They’re so delicious. Gooey, crunchy, and chewy at the same time.

Once we had enough of laying around in our sweat for a few hours, we showered up and headed to Avery Brewery for drinks and dinner.

Let me tell you something you may not know about me. I’m rarely the type to choose beer over wine or liquor. I really have to be in the mood for a beer. And thankfully, I was in the mood on Saturday night.

I’m cracking up at how huge these look in the photos. I swear, I didn’t have four pints. All of these equal one pint of beer. And as I’m a bigger fan of light beer, I was surprised the coffee-based dark beer all the way to the right was my favorite. My dad would have gone nuts over the stuff.

These three lovely ladies and I shared an order of CRAZY awesome sweet potato tots. Please, if you haven’t, find a place that serves these. They were ridiculous.

Yeah. Told ya. And my mediterranean chicken wrap did not disappoint, either.

The table at Avery… photo stolen from Tinababes

We met up with everybody at Rio afterwards for a little Cinco de Mayo celebraciones. Where we had a few (cough cough STRONG) margs.

And, ya know, a quick “cheers” to blend.. preceded by salt, followed by a lime.

It was delicious. I’m not kidding; it was probably the smoothest tequila shot of all time.

…it may have something to do with the fact that my college days have my palette used to “Juarez” tequila. You know, the kind that comes with a little sombrero on top. Patron silver tastes a just a bit different.

After our cinco de mayo fun, we strolled Pearl Street in a quest for fro yo with Julie and her patient husband, Terry. It may or may not have taken us four stops before we came out victorious with some sweet gelato.

I got a mixture of malt ball and something else that was so delicious I’ve forgotten its name. It did make me reclaim my love for gelato.

Then, after Sunday morning’s boot camp with the adorable girls of Chobani, we stuffed our faces all over again.

I spy with my little eye…. some Love Grown Foods! Which I promptly added to my vanilla Chobani. Also, sorry I couldn’t wait to eat my hard boiled egg white before snapping the above photo.

So much LOVE for this company and their granola. Just wait till you see all we got to do with Love Grown Foods once we arrived in the Denver aiport (coming tomorrow, I swear).

The last little bits of my weekend food include our airport lunch.

Which was somewhat predictable and a super balanced meal.

Oops again.

1 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third May 9, 2012 at 11:35 am

Everything looks amazingggg!!! I am such a sucker for the salty/sweet combo (hence my chocolate covered pretzel obsession), I would have devoured those cupcakes.

2 Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 9, 2012 at 11:38 am

Looks like you had some great food at Blend! I am loving all of your fro yo stops… I think I need to make one tonight! 🙂

3 chelcie @ chelcie's food files May 9, 2012 at 12:20 pm

all of the eats at blend retreat look amazing! I would of had about 10 of those mini cupcakes
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted…WIAW-Healthy EatsMy Profile

4 Heather @ Better With Veggies May 9, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Awesome food recap – there was a lot of yummy food & drink all weekend long!
Heather @ Better With Veggies recently posted…Bootcamp, Breakfast, & Boulder HikingMy Profile

5 Yellow Haired Girl May 9, 2012 at 12:41 pm

Sweet potato tots?! Oh my. Looks like some great food and a wonderful time!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted…A Quiet WIAWMy Profile

6 Tiffani May 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

mmmmm……this post made me hungry. All of it looks sooooo amazing.

That sucks that you lost your bag. From experience(having my gym bag with all my workout gear and a packed bag to stay at my dad’s for a few days in my car when it was stolen), that is the worst thing ever! Everyone told me that hey now I get to go on a shopping spree, it still isn’t the same as having my stuff(or for you, the schwag!).
Tiffani recently posted…Crazy Lady.My Profile

7 Annette @ FitnessPerks May 9, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Now THAT is my kind of airport lunch!! YUMM.
Annette @ FitnessPerks recently posted…Turkey LasagnaMy Profile

8 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health May 9, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Love mini cupcakes! But I can’t say I practice portion control with them haha. Oh and your dress is so cute!! <3
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted…#PhotoadayMay Part 1My Profile

9 Kammie @ Sensual Appeal May 9, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Man, that Blend Retreat looked so awesome. I’ve seen numerous posts about it so far and it looks like a blast.

10 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry May 9, 2012 at 1:02 pm

Best WIAW post of all time. Seriously.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted…Weekend Fun TimesMy Profile

11 MassachusEATS May 9, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Ahh, I’d heard of those Peanut Butter Pretzel cupcakes on another blogger’s WIAW. But they look even more amazing than I dreamed of 😉 Sounds like a great time was had by everyone!!
MassachusEATS recently posted…WIAW #14My Profile

12 raquel May 9, 2012 at 1:12 pm

Now i am hungry! also, i love your cinco dress!! where is it from?

13 RunEatRepeat May 9, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Yo quiero tequila!

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 9, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I want all of your eats! Especially those sweet potato tots and the gelato! Yum!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted…I make chili in 80 degree weather because I can.My Profile

15 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 9, 2012 at 2:28 pm

I’m a little sad we missed that gelato trip! Those sweet potato tots were off the chain. Must make a healthy version of those asap!!!
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted…Blender-Free Blend WIAWMy Profile

16 Heather May 9, 2012 at 2:59 pm

that glass on the right looks a little less “Hello, Chardonnay!!” and a little more “Where’d you go, Chardonnay??”
Heather recently posted…Tart & Sweet & Good for RecoveryMy Profile

17 Lisa May 9, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Love your foodie recap. All of it looks incredible. How amazing that all those companies provided samples. Awesome. I love me some tequila, I just go for the cheap stuff though, so have no idea how it compared to patron. I’m sure it’s way better, but whatevs. I also really love your dress, cute!
Lisa recently posted…WIAW #7My Profile

18 Julie @ runningandriley May 9, 2012 at 3:45 pm

Mmm…cupcakes…and beer…and margs….and fro yo…sounds like a positively Blyss-ful weekend! 😉 Glad you had fun!
Julie @ runningandriley recently posted…Book Review: Fifty Shades of GreyMy Profile

19 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 9, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Awesome foodie recap! I want more of those tots!!! And fro yo. I’ve still yet to satisfy my hankering.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted…The Best Ever: Blend Retreat Recap Part 2My Profile

20 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm

fro yo for lunch is totally acceptable and well balanced. i’m all about it. 😉
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted…WIAW #33: A Sleepy DayMy Profile

21 Jenny (Fit Girl Foodie) May 9, 2012 at 8:36 pm

So many yummy treats! Love the little adorable cupcakes! I want those tatter tots!

22 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 9, 2012 at 9:00 pm

you are making me want fro yo!! 🙂 I’m with ya that the xagave breakfast was the best!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted…Kick My Booty: Blend Recap Part 2My Profile

23 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 9, 2012 at 9:06 pm

I’d go for fro-yo for lunch any day of the week :).
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted…WIAW #4: Lack of Veggies, Lots of Fro-YoMy Profile

24 Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony May 9, 2012 at 9:47 pm

That wrap looks delicious! (So does everything else!) What was in it?
Angela @ Health, Happiness & Harmony recently posted…Recipe RemixMy Profile

25 Ashley May 10, 2012 at 2:21 am

Fantastic. That is all. 🙂
Ashley recently posted…falafel veggie burgersMy Profile

26 katie May 10, 2012 at 7:13 am

This is the BEST! Apparently I should of been hanging out with YOU more, fro-yo all those times! Damn I love it!

Happy Thursday girl! 🙂
katie recently posted…Diva Approved {fitblognyc swag}My Profile

27 Stephanie May 10, 2012 at 9:01 am

Of course you needed 6 more samples of gelato. Picking the right flavor is 90% of what’s important about gelato.

28 Danielle May 10, 2012 at 9:13 am

you can never have tooo much fro yo (:
Danielle recently posted…WIAW 5.9.12My Profile

29 Amber K May 10, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Um…that all looks amazingly delicious. I hope I can find those uber Larabars sometime!
Amber K recently posted…Things You Shouldn’t DoMy Profile

30 Alysha @Shesontherun May 10, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Hi, Alyssa – just found your blog. I totally agree with you about Justin – what a total cutie!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted…Third Time’s a CharmMy Profile

31 lindsay May 20, 2012 at 9:57 pm

how did i miss this? i love it. and now i am hungry for froyo and beer… weird combo.
lindsay recently posted…Cotter ConfessionsMy Profile