What I Learned at Blend [Part II]

May 11, 2012 · 33 comments

Are you shocked I’m finally on my final Blend Retreat recap?

It was an eventful few days. I can’t leave any sleepless moment out.

And while I was compiling all my photos for this post, all the quotes involved in each picture just came flooding back to me. I’m including them.

I mentioned boot camp lead by Lindsay and Tina (which Tina noted on her blog). My favorite part came at the end, when we were split into groups and had to sprint to a pile of tennis balls with specific workout moves on them. We were instructed to do as many reps of each certain move as we could in the allotted time.

I was especially psyched to be doing crunches with NO rib pain. It was the first time that had happened since my injury, and I was an eager beaver.

BLEND LESSON #8: Working out with fellow bloggers must heal all wounds.

Can I also note that I hate any and all warmup laps in high altitude? Seriously, that altitude made me feel like I’d spent my entire life on the couch stuffing my face with Doritos.

(photo yoinked from Janetha)

See how I was running next to Colorado native, Katie? I turned to her and said, “What the heck do you feel like when you run on the East Coast?” She replied, “Like an athlete.”

Touché.

BLEND LESSON #9: Never, ever do a marathon in Colorado.

After boot camp and our delicious Xagave breakfast, it was hiking time!

(Heather and Tina)

BLEND LESSON #10: Watch how you position your spi belt for photo ops.

Katie‘s kicks

Our Fitmixer heros!

Can we all just give a fit pound, high five, and round of applause for all the stuff Terry, Julie‘s husband, endured with a smile over the course of the weekend? We were all so impressed by his willingness to jump into whatever we wanted to do… even if that included our hour search of fro yo on Saturday night.

And since Janetha reminded me only once about filming video, I have one lackluster scene from right before Courtney ate it on our way to the tippity top of the mountain. We’re talking about how sweaty and gross we feel. It’s real cinematography gold. But if you like stalking Janetha, Katie, Tina, Courtney, or Ashley, you can view this 60 times and pretend  you’re there with them.

BLEND LESSON #11:  Don’t trust Janetha  Take more video always.

As you may remember from my WIAW on the Blend, we were game for some brew after our active day.

(did I catch you off guard, rockstar Susan?)

After our beer flights and dinner at Avery Brewery, we stopped at Rio for our Cinco celebraciones with some more of the girls.

(Katielove… go wish her sweet baby girl a happy first birthday today!)

I felt the need to bring a present for my cabinmates. Courtney and I were giggling like 6 year old girls with a stash of lollipops when we drug Tina and Jillian into our room to show them the Cinco de Mayo-themed goods.

We then proceeded to attempt a photo shoot while trying to not wet our pants/dresses. Please watch Jillian’s face. And Tina’s rogue hairs. And my inability to get all of Courtney in the photo.

hJ0BCO on Make A Gif, Animated Gifs

I should probably frame a photo montage of these for my kitchen.

After all that, moseyed on out to the common room and acted as if we didn’t just grow five awesome SP-looking mustaches.

Heather and Janetha (her photo) were fans.

BLEND LESSON #12: Mustaches will always, always make everything even better than it already is.

Olé.

1 Julie @ runningandriley May 11, 2012 at 11:27 am

Looks like fun! Every time I see a mustache… or the word “mustache” for that matter…I always say “Moose-taaache” with a French accent in my head. I don’t know why, I’m just cool like that I guess. 😉
Julie @ runningandriley recently posted..What have I done?My Profile

2 katie May 11, 2012 at 11:46 am

I just love you! haha! Your posts never cease to amaze me and make me smile! Love ya girl! <3

3 janetha @ meals & moves May 11, 2012 at 11:56 am

hahahaha will you write the rest of my recaps?
janetha @ meals & moves recently posted..moving more in may.My Profile

4 Alysha @Shesontherun May 11, 2012 at 11:57 am

A sweaty hike looks more enjoyable if there are shots at the end 🙂
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Ants on a Log Overnight Oats in a JarMy Profile

5 Calee (@chimes) May 11, 2012 at 12:05 pm

The captions TOTALLY made my laugh my ass off. The SpiBelt cracks me up too. She got some junk.
Calee (@chimes) recently posted..BLEND Recap #1: Let’s get this party started!My Profile

6 Jessie @RunforFroYo May 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm

this looks like SO much fun. I hope I get to go next year!
Jessie @RunforFroYo recently posted..Thankful ThursdayMy Profile

7 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 11, 2012 at 12:26 pm

hahaha i’m DYING over here on the spibelt comments! good thing i didn’t turn around and show mine off too 😉
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Week 9: Hands, Shots and Birthdays!My Profile

8 Nicole May 11, 2012 at 12:29 pm

I’m sad you’re on your last Blend post-I’ve loved reading these. It looks like Blend was SO much fun!
Nicole recently posted..Opensky got me again!My Profile

9 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 11, 2012 at 12:30 pm

So. Jealous. Thanks for the fun recap! 🙂
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Still {Mentally} On VacationMy Profile

10 Jillian @ sprinkle massacre May 11, 2012 at 12:59 pm

I vote Alyssa for best Blend recaps, hand down.
Jillian @ sprinkle massacre recently posted..Blend Retreat 2012–Sunday + GoodbyeMy Profile

11 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 11, 2012 at 1:03 pm

I love your recaps! You are so fun… I miss seeing you every day. You def made bootcamp MUCH more fun! 🙂
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..Blessings in DisguiseMy Profile

12 Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut May 11, 2012 at 1:34 pm

I love that you had a little video of Blend! Also, the quotes are hilarious!! I like Lindsay’s “You will hate yourself at this elevation.” hahaha truth!! I couldn’t run around the block!!

So good to meet you and now follow your blog! 🙂
Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut recently posted..First Giveaway Ever: Fitmixer Slim AND AminosMy Profile

13 Amber K May 11, 2012 at 2:13 pm

The captions are definitely one of the best parts of this post 🙂
Amber K recently posted..What A Complainer!My Profile

14 Tina @ Best Body Fitness May 11, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Hahahhaaa! I’m cracking up at this post. And seriously…what was up with my hair? I had not a clue.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Friday CountdownMy Profile

15 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 11, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Looks like a total blast…my favorite tip of course being #11 because a mustache always does make everything into a “laugh so hard my stomach hurts” moment. Does this make us immature??
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..10 Essentials for New RunnersMy Profile

16 Katie May 11, 2012 at 4:28 pm

Oooh my heavens. So, so, good. I want to run with you all the time (at sea level…I’ll probably beat you). You are so stinking much fun and I love you!!

(Also thanks for the baby girl bday shout out!! Adrienne sends her slobbery kisses and hugs.)

17 sarah @ sarah learns May 11, 2012 at 4:56 pm

i love this! one of my bridesmaids brought temporary mustache tattoos for all of us on my wedding. we took so many photos of us with them. 🙂
sarah @ sarah learns recently posted..the [somewhat] completed porch gardenMy Profile

18 Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl May 11, 2012 at 5:35 pm

Love the stache’ photos! And all the captions on the photos.

Terry definitely is an awesome husband. He even did hot flow yoga that day, too. 😉
Christine @ Oatmeal in my Bowl recently posted..Blend Retreat {Part Deux}My Profile

19 Sarah May 11, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Where is your dress from (the skinny arm pic with Katie)?!?! It’s so cute! 🙂

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 11, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Love the recap! Thanks for the tip about not running a marathon in Colorado! I’ll remember that one! 🙂
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The Flat Stanley ProjectMy Profile

21 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 12, 2012 at 12:01 am

Oh my god. YOU. These posts! You are freakin’ hilarious.
I need to see your face again. Like…now. 🙂
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..Sneak Peek at ReebokMy Profile

22 Kristen May 12, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I’m really angry I didn’t know about the Blend retreat until it was over, since I grew up in Boulder and only live 30 minutes away! Looks like it was a ton of fun, you guys should have gone to Glacier and had their amazing Gelato. It’s 100% Boulder made, and so much better than fro-yo.

23 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 13, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Living vicariously through you guys at Blend Retreat by reading this post (and stalking your video) hahaha I’m glad you guys had fun! Looks like an amazing end to a wonderful weekend 🙂
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Why Siesta When You Can Fiesta?My Profile

24 Kristin @ FoodFash May 14, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Looks like so much fun!!! I’ll have to register next year!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Cure For The Common MondayMy Profile