Our Trip to The Ellen Show

May 18, 2012 · 29 comments

Well, we’re back on the East Coast. It’s devastating. Before we left, I started asking people on the street if they would just adopt me so I could stay forever.

You all saw how surprised my mom was when she found out on the airplane we had VIP tickets to The Ellen Show. We woke up with that “eeeeee!” excited feeling on Tuesday morning, and set out to find a place to grab some breakfast.

We stumbled upon Paty’s in Toluca Lake, a cute little diner where we dined al fresco for two breakfasts in a row.

I was a huge fan of their fitness menu. I opted for the fitness scrabble with turkey sausage, avocado, and mushrooms on Tuesday.

Note to self: scrabble is not so photogenic… especially when it has hot sauce and avocado in it.

Regardless of how it looks, it was delicious enough to have all over again on Wednesday.

Is it weird this was my first bran muffin experience? They came on the side, and they were to DIE for.

And clearly, I can’t take photos in the bright sunlight. But you get the idea. They were really sweet, filling, and had the perfect texture. I’m a big Paty’s fan.

After a stop at Trader Joe’s for wine and hummus (because, well, what else would you eat on vacation?), we hit the hotel pool for a few hours. I greased up with my 30 SPF and read through Fifty Shades Darker. I still have the same feelings about the series as I did while reading Book 1, by the way. Underwhelming writing, gross overuse of the same verbs and adjectives, but a storyline that somehow keeps me reading… I just wish the actual plot would move a little faster.

Since we had to be at the Warner Bros. lot by 4:30, we headed in quickly to get showered and gussied up to see Ellen. We. Were. Psyched.

After filling out a few audience surveys and noting on Mom’s that she would “LOVE TO PLAY ‘NO OR GO!’” (she had no idea I wrote that.. oops), we were ushered into the studio. All of Ellen’s personnel were super friendly and could not have been more accommodating.

We nabbed some Ellen waters on our way in (for only $1.50 each… impressive, Ellen) and were assigned seats as we filtered into the room. As Mom and I walked down the steps, I was told to sit in the aisle seat of the fourth row from the front with Mom beside me. When we were told a few minutes later that row was Ellen’s dance row, we almost peed our studio seats.

Once everyone was seated, Tom the audience coordinator got the party started. Music started playing, and it was time for the audience dance warmup.

Guess who got to warm up the crowd first?

I honestly can’t even tell you which dance move of choice that was. I was up there by myself for the length of an entire song, and I couldn’t even tell you which song I was dancing to. That’s how pumped up I was. Dance moves were just spurting out of my body. At one point, I got the audience doing the wave and the cabbage patch.

I don’t think it will be aired on T.V. since it was a jam-packed episode, but Ellen said it may go on the website. I’ll be checkin’, that’s f’sho.

And that is the fruit of my labor. Thanks for the shirt, Tom!

Before the show started, Portia was introduced and took a seat at the very front of the studio. Mom was super excited to see her, and our seats were only a few feet from her perch by the producers.

Once the show began, Ellen came out and played “No or Go” with three audience members. A certain contestant had no idea who Sophia Grace and Rosie were, and I silently deemed her unworthy of playing. What gives? There is no way you can be an Ellen fan and not know Sophia Grace and Rosie. C’mon maaan.

Ellie Kemper from Bridesmaids and The Office was the headlining guest with Rufus Wainwright as the musical guest. Ellie Kemper was adorable and hysterical as usual, and we really enjoyed watching how the show gets put together. I was surprised with how small the studio actually is. To me, at least, the room appears to be much bigger on television.

THEN. It was time for Ellen to dance. Tony played “Yeah” by Usher ft. Lil John and Ludacris, which I will forever remember as my “Ellen song,” and she danced up the steps. As she came over to our row, the “She had me feelin’ like she’s ready to blow (watch out oh, watch out)” part started. It was then we had our little moment. I probably look like a real wackadoodle, so make sure you set your DVR to record Ellen on Memorial Day to see if you can see us in action.

At the show’s close, we all filtered out to the Ellen Shop and got some sweet photo booth pictures. And thanks to my super sweet dance moves, I had several people pointing and whispering at me as we left. I guess I need to personally thank all my old dance instructors, because without them, my feet may never have seen the Ellen stage.

Thanks for the great time, El! …I like to pretend on nickname terms now.

Sigh. Can we just go back and do that every day? Maybe Ellen could hire me to be her hype girl just like Rosie does for Sophia Grace.

Whatcha think, El? I’ll let you hold the mic and everything.

1 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life May 18, 2012 at 1:57 pm

LOL I love this…I cannot WAIT to see this episode :)
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..He Was Lovin’ LifeMy Profile

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 18, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Definitely setting the DVR! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Friday FiveMy Profile

3 Sana May 18, 2012 at 2:20 pm

SOOO COOOL!

4 Shannon May 18, 2012 at 2:30 pm

I’ve been DVRing Ellen for the past 500 years and CANNOT wait to see you!!!! I’m so pumped for your and your mom.
On another note, WHO DOESN’T KNOW WHO SOPHIA GRACE AND ROSIE ARE???? Isn’t that like a crime of some sort? As Rosie always says, they’re just “so good”!
Shannon recently posted..Hess Brewing: The Official ReviewMy Profile

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 18, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I KNOW. can I just note that I used that phrase today and got a couple weird looks? why don’t people know SG and R? what’s going on here?

6 Emily May 18, 2012 at 2:32 pm

ahhhh HOW FUN & AMAZING! can’t wait to watch for you & your mom

& o.m.g – i have having the SAME exact thoughts about the fifty shades of grey trilogy – i can’t stop reading it & i don’t know why because there isn’t anything about it that makes me go “oh my goodness, this is great” & frankly the over use of the same adjectives and scenes are annoying me too, but yet here i am still reading away! haha
Emily recently posted..Another Day …My Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 18, 2012 at 5:02 pm

I KNOW. “his long fingers.” “I bite my lip.” “beguiled” “his eyes darken.” “his lips part.” “mercurial.” gaaahhhh.

8 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 18, 2012 at 5:08 pm

hahaha seriously, beguiled!
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Fashion Friday #5My Profile

9 alyssa May 18, 2012 at 2:34 pm

So, so glad you had fun!

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

all because YOU are the bomb.com!!!

11 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 18, 2012 at 2:45 pm

“Underwhelming writing, gross overuse of the same verbs and adjectives, but a storyline that somehow keeps me reading” AGREE AGREE AGREE!!! If she says “Holy Shit” one more time….yet I can’t put it down. Help.
Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted..Fashion Friday #5My Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 18, 2012 at 5:03 pm

EXACTLY! see above. I just wrote out all my least favorite overused phrases. it’s outta control.

13 Alysha @Shesontherun May 18, 2012 at 3:23 pm

How cool! If I ever go to LA or NYC I am definitely going to taping of a show. I don’t care if it’s The View!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Oatmeal Peanut Butter Banana Cookies (and a birthday!)My Profile

14 Lisa May 18, 2012 at 3:52 pm

OBSESSED. That’s awesome it was such an amazing time! I need to go to a show asap. Especially after hearing what an great experience it was. Would that not be the best thing ever to be Ellen’s hype girl, a lady can dream
Lisa recently posted..Giveaway TimeMy Profile

15 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 18, 2012 at 3:57 pm

i’m out of town when it’s going to air and i have double-triple-checked to make sure i’m recording it! can’t wait :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Week 10: Little Man Alert!My Profile

16 Kate @ life's precious moments May 18, 2012 at 4:09 pm

That is amazing! I am so insanely jealous that you got to dance with Ellen. She is just amazing :) Glad you had such a great time for your Mom’s birthday!!
Kate @ life’s precious moments recently posted..Fashion Fridays: Cheerful OutfitMy Profile

17 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 18, 2012 at 4:41 pm

I so need to remember to watch this on Monday! I can’t wait to see you shake your thang with Ellen haha! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..What I’ve learned since being married.My Profile

18 Julia @ The Coffee Crazed Teacher May 18, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Sounds like a blast! Can’t wait to see your sweet ‘wackadoodle’ dance moves! ;)
Julia @ The Coffee Crazed Teacher recently posted..God Is So Good!My Profile

19 Beth May 18, 2012 at 4:57 pm

So jealous you got to see Ellen! Def on my bucket list!! And you took the words RIGHT out of my mouth regarding the 50 shades of grey series! That’s exactly how i feel…and I’m on the 3rd one!

20 Amber K May 19, 2012 at 2:05 pm

That is the coolest thing ever!! And seriously? I don’t even watch Ellen and I have seen a ton of clips of Sophia Grace and Rosie!! Love them.
Amber K recently posted..Birthday Pet PeeveMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 20, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I KNOW! homegirl must live under a rock. bizarre, right?

22 Kate @ The Little Spoon Blog May 19, 2012 at 2:15 pm

I really hope you are on TV — and that El Calls you up and invites you back!

I bet a healthy living blogger would be a first on her show!
Kate @ The Little Spoon Blog recently posted..Bachelorette Recap Week 1My Profile

23 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 20, 2012 at 12:58 pm

hahah. I should send the photo of my being her hype girl to the show. ;)

24 Julie @ Running and Riley May 19, 2012 at 3:24 pm

Cute recap! Glad you and your madre had a good trip! It’s always a bittersweet experience to be on vacation, then going home. Being home is great, but it stinks when you have to leave if you’re not ready.
Julie @ Running and Riley recently posted..Tablerock: Day OneMy Profile

25 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 20, 2012 at 12:56 pm

so true. we couldv’e used a week in LA!

26 Kelly @ Femme Fitale May 20, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Your dance moves & audience interaction description made me laugh out loud. So much fun!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Pyramids & Pita PocketsMy Profile

27 Liz @ iheartvegtables May 21, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Alyssa, that’s AMAZING!!! Hahah this is like the coolest thing ever. I’m super jealous!!! :)
Liz @ iheartvegtables recently posted..Birthday Brunch & Burger BachMy Profile

28 Olivia June 1, 2012 at 1:27 am

I’m so jealous and I can’t believe I forgot to set my DVR! I bet you totally rocked the dance moves:)
Olivia recently posted..Rene’s Wedding: HairMy Profile