Making Workouts Fun [VIDEO]

May 22, 2012 · 41 comments

This post is complete social sacrifice.

Here, you will see how uncool I really, truly am.

Or at least how easily amused I am.

Or, just as is my intent in posting this, you will see how easy it is to make workouts fun.

I was feeling super sore from yesterday’s “Full House” Fitmixer Boot Camp workout yesterday morning and half-dreading doing another weights workout. My old without-a-plan self would have ditched any weights workout last night and just sucked up a run of some sort, but thankfully, my friend Jamie was down to join me.

Jamie rolled on by after work and we leashed up Chloe for a nice little 4 miler. As we finished, I selflessly shared some of my beloved Fitmixer aminos with her (which she loved) and told her I’d be hitting up my boot camp workout. Curious, she stuck around as I logged on to see what today’s boot camp had in store for me today.

Guess what? Jamie got sucked in and stayed for the workout. And, just as I loved in the last boot camp workout, I really enjoyed the fact that a lot of these moves were new to me.

As we ran through one of the moves, Jamie turned to me and said, “Wouldn’t this be funny in a music video?”

I turned to her, one eyebrow raised, and said, “You mean like, middle school style?”

Precisely.

I didn’t bother to do any editing to this video because it’s way better just the way it is.

1. Take note of Jamie’s motherly scolding to me to scoot back as I get ready to start the video (like I would sit up by the camera to do it).
2. Ignore our terrible form and rest assured we did three “real” sets of these.
3. Laugh hysterically at our attempts in lifting both legs at the same time. And check out our never-wavering smiles as we do this.
4. Give Jamie serious props for her really cool geek-out at the finale.

And Robin, we kept your little fist pump in the end. We liked that part.

Yes, we just took a trip back to our middle school selves. Yes, we look like immature lunatics. Yes, I’m an idiot for posting this on the worldwide web. Yes, it was the most fun workout I’ve had in a long, long time.

Idiots. In the best way possible. It’s a good thing I wasn’t born with that whole “embarrassment” gene.

We’re giving you Harvard baseball boys a run for your money. I bet you weren’t working your abs, arms, and legs during your little dance montage.

How do you make your workouts fun? Have you ever embarrassed yourself doing so?

1 Jamie May 22, 2012 at 9:29 am

After being in an anxiety ridden mood for the past couple weeks, creating this video made me feel giggly and normal again. Music videos are highly recommended when it comes to stress relief. That or chardonnay… SCOOT BACK!

2 Jamie May 22, 2012 at 9:35 am

bahahahah i just think of danny “y’all are weirder than a pet raccoon”

3 Ashley May 22, 2012 at 9:52 am

This is really great. Making dance videos (and instructional gymnastics videos) with my friends in middle school was my absolute favorite thing. We watched one at my friends bachelorette this year. Classic!

4 Chelsea May 22, 2012 at 10:00 am

Bahahah you crack me up! You look so funn to hang out with :)

5 Emily May 22, 2012 at 10:12 am

Yesterday while driving home from work (on the interestate in 5 o’clock traffic) that song came on the radio and I definitely drove with my knee and did the Harvard boys dance. I wonder how many semitruck drivers were looking through my sunroof thinking WTF if that spaz doing? Also – your video is so funny! My friends and I would totally do something like that… which means I could see us being friends in real life… especially since we share a common love of wine and sarcasm. :)

6 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots May 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

your video is awesome, I think your giving the Harvard boys a run for their money!

7 Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 22, 2012 at 10:22 am

you guys should be professionals :) love it
Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean recently posted..My Go-To Meals: Mexican Loaded Sweet PotatoesMy Profile

8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries May 22, 2012 at 10:24 am

bahahaha! i love it!!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Playground WorkoutMy Profile

9 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables May 22, 2012 at 10:52 am

haha looove this. you definitely give those harvard boys a run for their money!
Emilie @ Emilie’s Enjoyables recently posted..Browned Butter, Sea Salt and Dark Chocolate Oatmeal CookiesMy Profile

10 Emily May 22, 2012 at 11:05 am

omggg this just put the biggest smile on my face this morning – how fun!
& yeahh i’m thinking the Harvard boys need some tips from you & jamie … they should like call you, maybe?
Emily recently posted..Leave no doubtMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 22, 2012 at 11:16 am

hahaha. I really enjoyed that. thank you.

12 Heather (Heather's Dish) May 22, 2012 at 11:23 am

bahahaha! i am SO obsessed with that song right now, it’s craziness! i kind of want you to get a bunch of bloggers to do the same thing and make a big long video montage of it all :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Mediterranean Lentil Quinoa SaladMy Profile

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 22, 2012 at 11:29 am

omg. let’s start a movement. I’ll put the video together. EVERYONE SEND YOUR VIDEOS TO ME!

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 22, 2012 at 12:07 pm

You guys are total nerds, but so am I, so I love it!! ;) That just put a big smile on my face. Thanks!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Saturday Morning at the Farmers’ Market (+ a Panini recipe!)My Profile

15 ALYSSA - FASHION FITNESS FOODIE May 22, 2012 at 12:16 pm

You two are hilarious. I like Jamie’s call me maybe sign language at the end.
ALYSSA – FASHION FITNESS FOODIE recently posted..Restock!My Profile

16 Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats May 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm

Awesome! hahah Love it

17 Shannon May 22, 2012 at 1:16 pm

I wasn’t born with the embarrassment gene either… AND IT’S AWESOME!!! I know that other people are constantly embarrassed for me, but hey, life is all about having fun, right?? Stress less, play more :).
Shannon recently posted..Hess Brewing: The Official ReviewMy Profile

18 clare @ fittingitallin May 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

NO joke, I made my crossfit coach let me put my ipod in this morning so play Call Me Maybe during the workout. HE was appalled. I completely disregarded the cleans and instead decided to prance around the box.
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..Solae & Soy Protein for AthletesMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 22, 2012 at 1:43 pm

my dear clare. for that, you should have been in this video.

20 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 22, 2012 at 1:52 pm

Hahaha, I love this :)!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Productivity at Its FinestMy Profile

21 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 22, 2012 at 2:17 pm

My trainer always asks what I’m listening to during our workouts. Usually it’s some sort of house music or my boy DRAKE, but yesterday I was like uhhh call me maybe? And he shocked me by breaking out into the song and dancing around. Greatest. Song. Ever.
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Win Or Lose, We Still BoozeMy Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm

boys like it, too. they needn’t pretend they don’t know every word.

23 Amber K May 22, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Man, I need someone to physically remove my embarrassment gene. Unless I’m dancing in public. For some reason I can dance like a total fool in public and not care. But otherwise? I’m hiding in the corner. In middle school and in high school my friends and I would make random videos all the time. I’m so glad YouTube didn’t exist back then, LOL.
Amber K recently posted..Super Busy WeekendMy Profile

24 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness May 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Reminds me of my time trying to make my own Spice Girls video with the girls. We all did that, right?
Workouts with friends are always more fun! Love it!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Celebrate More: Rejoice in the Big and the SmallMy Profile

25 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 22, 2012 at 2:49 pm

oh yes. we all did that.

26 Janetha May 22, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I still need to do this one! I wish we were doing it together…
Janetha recently posted..monday’s meals & moves.My Profile

27 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 23, 2012 at 8:18 am

I meeaann… we’ll always have Skype.

(can’t you just see it now?)

28 Sadie May 22, 2012 at 4:53 pm

This made my day…love it and your ability to have a great time!

29 Lisa May 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Haha. Love it. It’s great you can enjoy a workout like that and laugh the whole time! It’s always better when your workouts are fun!
Lisa recently posted..Ten Things TuesdayMy Profile

30 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 23, 2012 at 8:17 am

agreed. and it’s always fun when I work out with Jamie! :) it’s all about your attitude.

31 Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 22, 2012 at 9:07 pm

you two are hilarious! I would love to workout with you!
Brittany @ Delights and Delectables recently posted..New Favorite + GiveawayMy Profile

32 Katie May 22, 2012 at 10:21 pm

Sweet Jesus I want this to go viral. Don’t be surprised when I both facebook and tweet this..maybe submit it to a few listservs who knows.

33 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss May 23, 2012 at 8:16 am

hahaha. hahah.

34 Sam @ The Balance Artist May 23, 2012 at 12:22 am

Bahaha, this is hilarious. Aaaand those Harvard boys….let’s just say I can’t hear that song anymore without doing their sweet moves along with it.
Sam @ The Balance Artist recently posted..LatelyMy Profile

35 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! May 23, 2012 at 9:45 am

Haaaaaa I love it!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Zesty Orange Salmon Rub & Weight of the NationMy Profile

36 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 23, 2012 at 9:59 am

Hahaha! That is so much fun. Also, FitMixer rocks. :)

37 Mary @ Have the world on a string May 23, 2012 at 10:00 am

This is fantastic!!! I had the harvard youtube on repeat for awhile… so catchy and fun! Looks like an awesome workout too :)
Mary @ Have the world on a string recently posted..Shrimp and Avocado OmeletteMy Profile

38 Jess @ Truly.Into.Fitness May 23, 2012 at 10:08 am

OMG how cute are you guys? hahaha loved this!

39 Kristin @ FoodFash May 23, 2012 at 10:57 am

Haha! So fun!! And nothing is uncool if it makes you as happy as your middle school self!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Gettin’ CraftyMy Profile

40 Trisha May 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Bahahaha, love this!
Trisha recently posted..Home Sweet Home & WIAWMy Profile

41 Chelsea May 23, 2012 at 10:20 pm

Just tried this as part of my workout tonight – you guys make it look easy! I’m sweatin up a storm over here!