A Return to the Theatre

May 25, 2012 · 42 comments

I hope you pronounced that “thea-tah.” Kailey and I love saying it like that.

I alluded to something Monday’s post…

I haven’t performed since high school, with exception of the national anthem at a few football, soccer, and field hockey games in college. I planned to minor in theatre in college, but once I arrived, realized there was no way I could have the time for a theatre minor and play field hockey. Since I was signed to play field hockey, I didn’t really have any choice but to let go of the theatre side of myself for a while.

I have been saying for years that I miss performing more than anything. And lucky for me, an opportunity arose for me to audition for a local summer production of Gypsy.

I sang a few bars from my most favorite show of all time, The Last Five Years (for all you theatre nerds out there who would recognize the song, I sang I Can Do Better Than That.)

I got the call for callbacks the next day, and was psyched to be told I was in the running for the roles of Louise and June.

Non-talented sister turned burlesque stripper? Or frustrated child star?

I was at the theatre until 11 p.m. last night for callbacks, and I’m now playing the waiting game.

But when I do get the phone call, I’m not above doing this around work.

And then I’d be all,

And if I don’t get the part, I’ll just resort to the following.

1 Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner May 25, 2012 at 10:56 am

Eeeek! That’s very exciting! My fingers are crossed for you! Good luck!
Daphne @ Candy Coated Runner recently posted..Fixed!My Profile

2 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries May 25, 2012 at 11:14 am

GOODLUCK!! Crossing my fingers hoping you get the role!! :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Tomorrow.My Profile

3 Kaelin May 25, 2012 at 11:16 am

Good Luck!!! Or should I say – Break a leg!!

It’s great that you are getting back into something you love and miss!

4 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots May 25, 2012 at 11:21 am

good luck! hope you get a part!

5 Isa May 25, 2012 at 11:23 am

hahaha your pictures crack me up!

That is so exciting getting back into something that you miss! I can’t tell you the number of times I have missed dancing and horseriding since I have gotten to college! Maybe later in the future. Good for you going it now!
Isa recently posted..Sunshine SunshineMy Profile

6 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 25, 2012 at 11:40 am

Good luck! My fingers are crossed for you!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness FridayMy Profile

7 Kailey May 25, 2012 at 11:46 am

Kailey recently posted..UpdateMy Profile

8 Kristen @ notsodomesticated May 25, 2012 at 11:48 am

Hahaha well I hope you get the part … because I just can’t see you rocking the tamborine. 😉
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The countdown is on!My Profile

9 mom May 25, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Oh great! Poppop is going around the house singing some song from Gypsy:)

10 clare @ fittingitallin May 25, 2012 at 12:06 pm

SO great that you’re getting back to what you love. I need to do that with my harp playing…but there aren’t any groups down in Dallas (That I know of) :(
clare @ fittingitallin recently posted..Champion Sports BrasMy Profile

11 Alysha @Shesontherun May 25, 2012 at 12:19 pm

I was in the Music Man in high school :) I got to rock the coolest hat. Good luck!!
Alysha @Shesontherun recently posted..Craft: DIY Button MonogramsMy Profile

12 Katie @ A Full Plate May 25, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I am SO elated to hear that you are a fellow theatre lover! I performed throughout high school and college. Once I graduated I missed it so much and got into doing local productions. Shows take up a lot of time and I have a lot of other things on my plate now so performing has taken a backseat. I’m actually more happy these days being behind the scenes…a few friends and I formed our own theatre company a few years ago and I love being a part of the whole production process.

Congrats on auditioning and getting a call back…crossing my fingers for you! Love Gypsy!

13 Em @ living & learning May 25, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Ahhh that is soooo exciting! I couldn’t carry a tune to save my life hahaha. But I’ll be keeping my fingers crosses for you!
Em @ living & learning recently posted..Right nowMy Profile

14 amanda May 25, 2012 at 12:50 pm

good luck! i LOVE gypsy! true story: when i was 3, my preschool teacher called my mom to ask if “anything was wrong” at home; turns out i had been singing “if mama was married” to my preschool friends…

15 Anne Kendall May 25, 2012 at 12:54 pm

That’s wonderful! I was never any good at it, but I loved being in my youth group’s musical productions back in the day. I still love to belt out tunes in my car like I’m one of the Spice Girls 😉 Congratulations and “break a leg!”
Anne Kendall recently posted..Play TherapyMy Profile

16 Calee (@chimes) May 25, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Good luck! PS you always make me LOL at work.
Calee (@chimes) recently posted..The Great High School Photo Scanning Project: Graduation 2000My Profile

17 Tracy May 25, 2012 at 2:30 pm

No “Climbing Uphill” for your audition? :) I’ll keep my fingers crossed for you!

18 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts May 25, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Good luck lady!

19 Amber K May 25, 2012 at 2:39 pm

That’s so cool! I hope you hear from them soon.
Amber K recently posted..Friday MusingsMy Profile

20 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats May 25, 2012 at 2:52 pm

That’s so great that you decided to jump back in! I hope you get a part, I can’t wait to hear about it!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Garden of the GodsMy Profile

21 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry May 25, 2012 at 3:13 pm

I had no idea you were into thea-tah! Good luck Aly-pops!

22 Caryln @ carylnrambles May 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Good Luck! Idk why but that cat video cracked me up!
Caryln @ carylnrambles recently posted..Naps, Big Egos, and a Chest WorkoutMy Profile

23 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy May 25, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Congratulations! So exciting!

24 Jamie May 25, 2012 at 8:07 pm

princess sparkle pound punch!

25 Alycia May 25, 2012 at 8:27 pm

Love the funny pics. Crossing my fingers for you. I vote burlesque!

26 Jessica May 25, 2012 at 10:34 pm

I am also a huge theater nerd and often miss my days of auditioning and standing on a stage. Sigh…
But this is so exciting, I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! You got this 😉
Jessica recently posted..Interesting.My Profile

27 Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 26, 2012 at 12:47 am

that’s so cool! good luck!!!!! break a leg. :)
Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table recently posted..Happy Long Weekend!My Profile

28 Kate @ life's precious moments May 26, 2012 at 11:41 am

It is always nice to jump back into something that you love! I hope that you get the part that you want!! I am sure that you would be great :)
Kate @ life’s precious moments recently posted..Fashion Fridays: Casual Lunch/Dinner OutfitMy Profile

29 Lisa May 26, 2012 at 3:37 pm

That’s so exciting! Good luck with everything! Hope you get some good news from them!
Lisa recently posted..Pumpkin Protein Cookie DoughMy Profile

30 Carol May 26, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Good luck to you!!so excited for you. :)

31 Elizabeth May 26, 2012 at 9:10 pm

Good luck! I totally understand wanting to get back into theater–I’m performing for the first time since my undergrad this year, and it’s so exciting! And I LOVE Last Five Years, by the way. Hope you get the part in Gypsy!

32 Karyle May 28, 2012 at 6:29 am

Good luck for you! I just love the moving photo of Britney Spears here.. Anyway, thank you for the awesome post here!
Karyle recently posted..Language LearningMy Profile

33 kristen @ livinlifeinlouie May 28, 2012 at 8:45 am

how exciting!!! good luck!!!!

34 Heather @Run Eat Play May 29, 2012 at 9:19 am

Good luck! That’s so exciting!
Heather @Run Eat Play recently posted..Back to the Routine MondayMy Profile