Stitchues

April 3, 2012 · 36 comments

That’s stitch issues made into my own word.

Yesterday, my final bunch of stitches came out.

I was walkin’ on sunshine, ready to take on the world after a fun weekend in Philadelphia with Magalicious. ‘Twas the perfect 64 degrees, and after work, I happily pumped out 9 miles. I was just so excited to be free of any current and pending stitches.

There could have been glitter falling from the sky. That’s how excited I was. And as a plus, it seems like I’m slowly building my endurance back up and getting a little faster. Celebratory heel clicks!

Then I woke up this morning and my stitches. Overnight, my stitches had gone from looking like this (last week) to this (yesterday) to this (this morning, after going back to the dermatologist).

I made those links for those of you who don’t like looking at pictures of stitches. Although I can’t imaging why you wouldn’t want to gaze at my wounds all day.

Anyway, I woke up to bleeding stitches this morning. They were dark purple/black in color, and none of my other stitches, which are three times the size of these, did that. I trudged back into the dermatologists’ office telling them I just missed them and needed to spend more time there.

Long story short, a new doctor came in, examined the stitches, and told me certain body parts are pulling the stitches down and opening them back up. Yahoo.

I was fixed up with some butterfly stitches I need to keep dry and got the wagging “no-no” finger when it came to running. Just after I had barely gotten the joyful taste of getting to take showers instead of baths again.

So, as I sit here all butterfly-style and try not to think about how I’m going to get my butt kicked at the Blend Retreat after not being allowed to work out for a million years, I’ll give you a quick recap of my glorious Philly weekend.

One of the best parts about going back up north is never knowing what random people from high school we’ll bump into. This weekend was no exception.

A weekend of Maggie, tapas, Mexican, Whirled Peace fro-yo (awesome name, no?), and Philly college bars that play Call Me Maybe* twice in one night. And your average college bar creepers.

See ya in a month for a Phils game, my dear.

*I was going to write something really witty about hoping the hunka man from the Call Me Maybe music video reads healthy living blogs so he can “Call Me Maybe” until I watched the end of the video. Let’s hope that was just some good acting. Sigh.

1 Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design April 3, 2012 at 11:26 am

Yay!! Philly in a month! Maybe I will be in town this time! Let me knoooow. Looks like you had a fun time…filled with standard Philly creepers. 🙂
Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design recently posted..The Mustard-Colored ApartmentMy Profile

2 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 3, 2012 at 11:30 am

i’m sorry about everything you’ve had to deal with! but it sounds like you have a positive attitude about it all which is so impressive! and your spray tan looks awesome! i need to get one of those babies:)
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Eating healthy feels so goodMy Profile

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 3, 2012 at 11:40 am

I’m sorry things have been so miserable with your stitches – your hair certainly looks fabulous!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Tuesday ThoughtsMy Profile

4 Amanda April 3, 2012 at 11:46 am

So sorry about your stitches issues! Your spray tan looks awesome – did you get it done in Philly?? I work in Philly/live in the burbs and really want to get a spray tan for my wedding (in November). Any tips – such as how far in advance to get it, where to go, etc. would be sooo appreciated. I’m determined not to to go a tanning bed!

5 katie April 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

Oh my, you poor girl! You have been through a lot this year so far, but I love you because you stay so positive!

I am glad the stitches got fixed up and hopefully this time will not break open again!

xoxo <3
katie recently posted..Ways I’m winning in AprilMy Profile

6 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts April 3, 2012 at 11:48 am

fun fun 🙂
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Mommy is home!My Profile

7 Yellow Haired Girl April 3, 2012 at 11:52 am

Looks like a fun time was had in Philly! Booo on the stichues, though. Sucky.

I know it was a really brief mention – but you including the word “mexican” has me craving enchiladas and guacamole. Aaaand it’s not even 10AM.
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Admitting DefeatMy Profile

8 Laura April 3, 2012 at 12:01 pm

After no update from you yesterday, I was stupidly (or not?) excited when I saw your post this morning. So sorry to hear about the no running thing. I just got cleared from my docs and an MRI to run….they thought I had a stress fracture, so I have felt that glitter falling from the sky feeling 🙂 I hope you get cleared super duper soon.
Laura recently posted..Winter Weather Comes to the NorthwestMy Profile

9 Lisa April 3, 2012 at 12:08 pm

I love your positive attitude! I’m sorry to hear about the stitches setback, but it seems like you’re bouncing back quite well after the surgeries and everything. Looks like a super fun time in Philly!
Lisa recently posted..When it feels like you’re always starting overMy Profile

10 Danica @ GirlsThatRun April 3, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Boo to stitchues! But you’ll be back out and running in no time! And you’re spray tan looks amazing! I need to get one, but the one time I did do it I turned out SO ORANGE. Did you go in one of the booths or did you have someone actually spray you with the little hose? I totally pulled a Ross (from Friends) move when I went in the booth and didn’t turn around properly so I was orange on the front and back and missed my sides completely!
Danica @ GirlsThatRun recently posted..PR’s–Yeah, They’re NiceMy Profile

11 Meg April 3, 2012 at 12:30 pm

Sad face on the stichues!!! Also huge fan of da spray tan.. I too am a spray tan girl myself!
Call me maybe…. best song ever… listened to it 3 times during my marathon… nbd….
Meg recently posted..Celebrating the Warm Weather!!My Profile

12 Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health April 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Wow your spray tan looks gorgeous and completely natural!!! It really makes me want to get one, but I just don’t want to look orange haha.
Lindsay @ In Sweetness and In Health recently posted..Sprints and Weekend EatsMy Profile

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 3, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Everytime I read about the difficulties you’re having with your stitches, I think back to when I had to get a huge chunk taken out of my back, and I wonder why I didn’t have the same issues. And then I remember. Oh yeah, because I wasn’t working out back then. I was sitting on my behind doing nothing remotely active. Yep, that explains it. 😉

Hugs to you. Hoping for a speedy and complete recovery!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Bipolar eating at its finest.My Profile

14 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables April 3, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Whirled Peace is AMAZING-my fiance and I go there at least once a week. You were so close to where I live!
Emilie @ Emilie’s Enjoyables recently posted..Cinnamon Caramel Chex MixMy Profile

15 Becca April 3, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Sorry your stitches have been giving you so much trouble.. You are being such a trooper! Hopefully everything will heal nice an quickly and you can get back to doing the things you love 🙂 on a positive note it looks like you had a great time with your friends! And your spray tan looks fabulous!
Becca recently posted..Grocery ShoppingMy Profile

16 Alicia April 3, 2012 at 1:16 pm

Where did you get your blazer???????

17 Amber K April 3, 2012 at 2:16 pm

lol that Call Me Maybe video is hilarious. Although the guy in it is waaaay too skinny!

So sorry that your stitches are being such a pain! I hope you can get back to working out soon.
Amber K recently posted..Hunger Games DisappointmentMy Profile

18 Tina @ Best Body Fitness April 3, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Look at it this way…I’m leading the group and feel like I will be out of shape too! Haha!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Heart Rate Zone TrainingMy Profile

19 Suzi April 3, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I got four suspicious moles removed last week and I feel your pain with the stitches. I had an allergic reaction to the bandaids that I put on them too! 🙁 You think pulling off a typical bandaid is rough, try pulling one off of a blister!!!

Good news though. The doctor just called and the pathology report came back good!!! 🙂

20 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 3, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Yay stitches! You look beautiful in your night out pics! Love the green skirt…or is it a dress?? Anyway I love!
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Treat your Feet to Sandal Season PamperingMy Profile

21 Easa April 3, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Have you noticed that your head is often tilted to one side in photos? I have that same tendency. I wonder if it is genetic or environmental in origin…

22 Nicholas April 3, 2012 at 10:39 pm

Poor stitches 🙁 Hooray for college bars! Now I want a cheese steak. Hello from California!

23 Ricole Runs April 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Yay for stitches out! Boo for bleeding stitches. Yay for butterfly stitches saving the day! Boo for not being able to work out. Yay for an awesome weekend away! There, that was my emotions reading your blog today. 🙂
Ricole Runs recently posted..2012 Nuun Hood to Coast Application!My Profile

24 Chelsea April 4, 2012 at 12:37 am

I told you awhile back right when I found out that you had to have surgery I would pledge to stop tanning. Well I thought I would tell you what happened yesterday…

I went to the tanning salon to ask when my one year contract ended and of course was asked, “Well, why are you canceling?” & I replied with, “Well one of my friends had to have cancerous cells removed and I swore to stop tanning.” (didn’t feel like explaining the whole blogger thing and our community haha). But this guy tried explaining to me, “Oh well she has different skin, different ethnicity, etc.” Without knowing ANYTHING about you! I got SOO pissed off. Eventually I had to literally tell the guy, “Respect my opinion that I am NO LONGER TANNING. & give me a call when you talk to the payment company.” & walked out of there outraged. There’s of course more to the story about how this guy kept urging and talking to me. Not even kidding I told him like 5x to respect my opinion and I just want my membership canceled.

/end rant. Thank you for spreading and sharing your story <3
Chelsea recently posted..hereandwow replied to your post: aint-no-such-thing replied to your post: Livefit…
Salads are…