I’m on Video: The Skin Cancer Awareness Assembly

April 4, 2012 · 45 comments

I promised I’d let you know how the skin cancer assembly went.

I only had a few minutes for my portion of the presentation, so I kept it pretty simple and told my story to the high school students.

Here I am, after a panel of three other speakers, telling high school students why they need to load up on 30 SPF, reapply, and never step foot in a tanning bed again.

All that being said, please remember: someone dies of melanoma every hour.

I’m hoping spreading the message can drastically reduce this statistic.

1 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 4, 2012 at 9:02 am

Love love love it, Alyssa!! You did a great job. I think you’re very relatable, and I bet at least some of those girls changed their minds about tanning beds after listening to you! I mean seriously, spray tans work so well, why WOULDN’T you just do a spray tan??

Congrats on a great message! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..I could really use a better knife.My Profile

2 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots April 4, 2012 at 9:16 am

You did an excellent job, I really hope a few girls took to heart what you said!

3 Kailey April 4, 2012 at 9:24 am

Great job, suga! I love that raspy voice of yours. More importantly, I love that you’ve wasted NO time spreading this message!
Kailey recently posted..How to BrunchMy Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 4, 2012 at 9:28 am

haaha.. I failed to include the fact that they’ll learn in a year or so that one’s voice will sound like that after two nights of yelling at the bar. whoops.

5 Alicia White April 4, 2012 at 9:43 am

oh my goodness I love u girl! So proud of u — I love that your spreading the message to others in a huge way — changing lives!!

6 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry April 4, 2012 at 9:50 am

Love it Aly!!! You have spread your message beautifully. Definitely got the point across.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Float Your Fanny Down the Ganny (and also a bit of my Nanny)My Profile

7 Daner April 4, 2012 at 9:56 am

So Proudaof you!!!!!!!!!! So Proudaofyouu!!!!!!! xoxoxo

8 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 4, 2012 at 10:07 am

I’m so proud of you! You did an awesome job! And if only ONE girl gets something from your message, you accomplished a whole hell of lot. xoxox
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Dear SelfMy Profile

9 Alyssa April 4, 2012 at 10:12 am

You did such a great job up there! High schooolers are a tough crowd to speak to and I think you rocked it….whenever one of my friends says they want to go tanning I ask them if they want to see pictures of my “friends” scars – you’re doing a great job of spreading the word!

10 Becca April 4, 2012 at 10:28 am

You did a fantastic job!!! What a great thing to be able to do. I really hope that the students took in everything you said. Also, I recognize that stage from High School :)
Becca recently posted..Work It OutMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 4, 2012 at 10:51 am

aaah! you went to this school?!

12 Becca April 4, 2012 at 11:15 am

I did! Only for 10th and 11th grade. It is the cool
NATO school. Haha. We ended up moving again for 12th grade. I was so worried about doing my senior speech! (not sure if they still do that) But I guess the military saved me again :)
Becca recently posted..Work It OutMy Profile

13 Chelsea April 4, 2012 at 10:53 am

You did a phenomenal job! I always stutter so bad in front of crowds lol

14 Lena @Fit on the Rocks April 4, 2012 at 11:06 am

Great job getting yourself out there and spreading awareness! I got my first skin cancer screening a month back because of you. Everything was fine, but I’m glad I can safely say that now.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Fore!My Profile

15 Yellow Haired Girl April 4, 2012 at 11:10 am

You did a wonderful job! What a great opportunity – I hope people can learn from you…
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..WIAW Time!My Profile

16 Erin April 4, 2012 at 11:26 am

You’re a rock star. That’s all.
Erin recently posted..Workouts in the Park and SK Fashion WeekMy Profile

17 Heather April 4, 2012 at 12:47 pm

i am so proud of you.
Heather recently posted..Last Week ListensMy Profile

18 Amber K April 4, 2012 at 1:16 pm

A tough crowd to reach, but it looks like you did a great job!
Amber K recently posted..Weight Loss Wednesday : Haters Gonna HateMy Profile

19 Katie April 4, 2012 at 2:21 pm

That was such an amazing idea. I am a real life example of someone you have helped to save! After reading your posts, I decided it was definitely time to book a skin check. My derm found 2 spots to biopsy, one came back positive as an abnormal mole with precancerous cells. They said that if i had waited any longer it would have been much more serious. So thank you so much for spreading the word and helping to influence my decision to get a skin check. SPF 30 for everyone!!!

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 4, 2012 at 2:53 pm

WOW. I love hearing this, Katie! I’m so glad you’re in the clear now.

21 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats April 4, 2012 at 3:34 pm

That’s so awesome that you gave this speech! I’m also 24 and just found out I had some moderately irregular cells. Not cancer but I do have to go back and get more taken out and go in every 6 months!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Racing Bug and WIAWMy Profile

22 Jill @ Jill is Active April 4, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Keep meaning to tell you that I made an appt for May 10th to get a full body scan. It had always been on my mind to get but you finally gave me the last push to make the appointment. Thank you!
Jill @ Jill is Active recently posted..What is Your -Current- Challenge?My Profile

23 Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com April 4, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I loved this! Great job! I’m fair skinned and I’ve always been crazy about making sure to lotion up and get my skin checks. So far, so good. This past month I had to take my 5 year old to the dermatologist to get a questionable mole removed from his arm. 5! He has my skin tone and I’m already stressing the important of sunblock and hats and sunglasses to him and his sister. It’s never to early to start teaching these kids.
Tara @ texasrunnergirl.com recently posted..Wednesday rant: Hunger GamesMy Profile

24 Erika@YouJustDidWhat April 4, 2012 at 4:21 pm

That’s amazing. I just started reading your blog, but just so you know I felt SUPER guilty yesterday when my daughter got burnt in the sun because I didn’t put sunscreen on her. I put a bottle in my car ready to go at all times and by the patio door, for when she goes out. Also, they do make super convenient wipes that have sunscreen in them. Those are pretty cool and easy! Expensive, but pretty cool!
Erika@YouJustDidWhat recently posted..ladybugMy Profile

25 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 4, 2012 at 5:07 pm

You did a really great job! I hope that opened their eyes. My dad has stage two melanoma, so I definitely know what you are going through from him and it really is something that people should be aware of.
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..WIAWMy Profile

26 Abby @ Change of Pace April 4, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Aw…great job. I really like that you are the one talking to high school students. You’re completely relatable to them.
And don’t be embarrassed by your scars. All scars have stories.
Abby @ Change of Pace recently posted..What’s wrong with me?My Profile

27 Lisa April 4, 2012 at 6:20 pm

You did such an awesome job speaking to the high school students about your message! It really is eye opening. I am proud of the fact that I have never ever been in a tanning bed. Although I still get my skin checked routinely, just in case.
Lisa recently posted..WIAW #2My Profile

28 Alison April 4, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Wow, good for you for sharing your story!! I’m certain it impacted many people.

29 hilary April 4, 2012 at 10:16 pm

loved it. what tanning lotions do you recommend that are gradual and not orange/ stinky?

30 Georgia Mae April 5, 2012 at 1:26 am

How do spray tans work?? Where do you get yours? I really want to get one but I’m afraid of it being blotchy or going somewhere where they won’t do a good job!

31 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 5, 2012 at 10:42 am

these days, the process has definitely been perfected. I went to a place in Philly, but you can google spray tan salons in your area!

32 kristen @ livinlifeinlouie April 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

you did such a great job! I have my appointment for two weeks thanks to your message :)

33 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 5, 2012 at 10:41 am

high five! good luck.

34 Crystal C. April 5, 2012 at 10:59 am

You did a great job!!! I hope those girls listen to you. Tanning beds are evil! What tanning lotions do you use?? I need some for my wedding in June!!

35 Sabrina @ Fit.Laugh.Love April 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Awesome message. Awesome. Awesome awesome. Watching my fella go through treatment for melanoma was one of the worst things I have ever witnessed. In March he got his first “all clear” scans and noooow he’s back to working out with me. Yays abound.
Sabrina @ Fit.Laugh.Love recently posted..FLL Biggest Loser – Week 1 ResultsMy Profile

36 Sabrina @ Fit.Laugh.Love April 6, 2012 at 1:48 pm

Oh also, I’m currently all sexily tanned in Jergens Natural Glow ;)

37 Heather @ Run Eat Play April 6, 2012 at 3:13 pm

After you original post, I made an appointment for a skin check. I had two moles removed and both turned out fine, thank goodness. But without your post, I probably would have kept putting it off forever, so thank you.
Great speech!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Police are on the SceneMy Profile

38 Cass April 9, 2012 at 12:27 pm

I just wanted to let you know that your post(s) reminded me to go in and get my skin checked-I’m currently in the dermatology waiting room right now! Thanks for telling your story

39 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection April 9, 2012 at 10:46 pm

I think you’ve said it before so I’m sorry that I’m asking instead of searching, but what sunless tanning lotions do you recommend? I’m getting married in June and am pasty white–okay with it but would like to get some color without damaging my skin!
Danica @ It’s Progression Not Perfection recently posted..ThinkThin coupon giveaway Winner!My Profile

40 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 10, 2012 at 8:12 am

check out my post from 4/5! there’s a photo, prices, and where you can get ‘em. :)

41 Danica @ It's Progression Not Perfection April 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Perfect, thanks!

42 Alyssa May 3, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Love this! Because of you I got a screening and it came back fine, but I am so relieved I was checked :)
Alyssa recently posted..Saving Every DayMy Profile

43 Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life May 12, 2012 at 10:27 pm

I’ve been putting off getting checked for so long. But Monday morning I am on the phone and getting an appointment.

Loved your speech. You did a fantastic job.
Kirstie @ Musings of a Happy Life recently posted..FOLDABLE.MEMy Profile

44 Chelsea Franklin March 11, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Hey there, I know this post is about a year old, but I was on Google searching “How to spread tanning awareness” when your blog came up. I am looking for a way to spread the word in my community because I know many young girls in my town who go in tanning beds constantly, even all winter. I have 3 scars similar to yours; one two-inch scar on my back, another two-inch near my hip, and a half-inch one on my shoulder. My dermatologist was worried about them, but luckily they all came back negative. I still have these HUGE scars though! I am now trying to spread awareness to the younger girls in my community. Any suggestions on how to do so? I am not sure where to start!