DIY Wood Paneled Wall Art

April 26, 2012 · 41 comments

Remember when I teased you guys with a photo of my latest DIY project in progress?

It’s finished (implied flourish of the arms with head thrown back)!

I needed something BIG to slap on the wall of my living room and go with my color scheme. I chose to include two more understated colors (moss and ivory) rather than my accent color (teal) for the big piece of wall art.

It’s an easy-peasy project, especially when you already have a plethora of paint brushes at your disposal.

First, papa bear and I headed over to his version if Disney World: Home Depot.

Did you know that if you spend enough money there regularly and smile really pretty they’ll let you take one of their old wood palettes?

Pre-distressed wood? Check.

I grabbed one palette and my Dad knocked off the usable pieces. I lined up the ones I liked with an uneven edge. He then took a skinny piece to connect the pieces, nailing them together and adding wood glue to keep them in place.

After 24 hours of drying, I had my wood paneling palette.

Go buy some acrylic paint (and brushes, if you don’t have them). It’s nice and cheap at Michael’s, and their website almost always has a usable coupon.

Grab a pencil and space out where you’re going to lay out your lettering. I’m trash with a pencil, so my draft is extremely rough. I rarely end up using the guidelines, but it comes in handy for spacing.

Aaaand throw the paint on that sucka!

I sealed it with a matte acrylic finish. There are lots of great, inexpensive brands; just make sure you spray outdoors and from an arm’s length away from the project.

And then I slapped it up on the wall.

Actually, Dad slapped it on the wall. But you knew what I meant.

Q for you: if you could plaster any quote on your wall, what would it be?

1 Faith @ For the Health of It April 26, 2012 at 9:09 am

One of my friends offered to custom paint me a canvas with any quote I wanted (she’s so sweet and so talented), and the one I requested was:

The sense of danger must not disappear – look if you like but you will have to leap.

That’s been my favorite quote since I read it in college a few years back – life is scary, but sooner or later you’re going to have to take steps and dive into that scary stuff!

2 Kaelin April 26, 2012 at 9:32 am

This is awesome!!! I can’t believe you painted that with a rough outline. I suck at painting.

You are really talented with this stuff! I have two palettes in our barn just waiting to be upcycled!

3 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 26, 2012 at 9:44 am

So cute – super creative! Love the color combo, too!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Granola Breakfast CookiesMy Profile

4 Alex @ therunwithin April 26, 2012 at 9:46 am

Love that quote, it looks beautiful.

5 Krista @ A Belle in DC April 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

Man, I love quotes. I have many favorites that inspire me but I do love this one from Theodore Roosevelt. It literally makes me want to fight life gladiator style with this face on : http://media.photobucket.com/image/sparta%20gif/sesamina/300s.gif?o=10

It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.
Krista @ A Belle in DC recently posted..Fall Beauty TrendsMy Profile

6 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air April 26, 2012 at 9:53 am

So cool! My Dad and I did a similar project last summer, but turned it into a headboard. So mine says “Dream”!

7 Patti @ This Starts Tonight April 26, 2012 at 10:16 am

Wow, I’m totally inspired to make some wood wall art, now!

I think we’re too into change to put one quote on the wall, but we have a monthly quote on our wipe board calendar. This month’s is “When you…expose yourself to the unknown, you learn things about yourself that are very exciting.” A permanent one might be “Live like a dog.” This’ll make you tear up a little maybe:

Patti @ This Starts Tonight recently posted..Rough windsMy Profile

8 Yellow Haired Girl April 26, 2012 at 10:20 am

That’s awesome! I love DIY projects … usually other people’s, because mine tend to be disastrous.

One of my fave quotes is an oldie but a goodie, but I think it’d work nicely … “Be who you are, and say what you feel … because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind”. That Dr. Suess will getcha every time :)
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Savin’ LivesMy Profile

9 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian April 26, 2012 at 10:27 am

Mine would be, “Always hold your head up high and smile!”
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..This week has been the funniest in terms of my eating habits…My Profile

10 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries April 26, 2012 at 10:30 am

so creative of you!! i love it! great job. i should hire you to make wall art for our house. :)
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Thursday Threes–Take 5My Profile

11 Katie @ Katie Moves April 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

Love this idea! So creative and love the quote too! :)
Katie @ Katie Moves recently posted..Exercise at workMy Profile

12 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 26, 2012 at 10:53 am

Love this idea… so cute!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 10My Profile

13 Emily April 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

Love DIY projects :)
I think I would use my favorite bible verse:

Proverbs 3:5-6
Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.

That verse has gotten me through more things than I could ever explain…

14 Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola April 26, 2012 at 12:10 pm

Your project turned out so well! I would never have thought of using a wood pallet for an art project! There are so many quotes I love but one of my favorites is “Sometimes on a way to a dream you get lost and find a BETTER one” such a good reminder about how life doesn’t always go how we planned but it all happens for a reason!
Emily @ Glitz Glam Granola recently posted..GGG Restaurant Review: Serendipty 3My Profile

15 Katy @ HaveYouHurd April 26, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I would have either:

“Just Breathe” or “Love is Forever” <– and this love is more of a mother-daughter love than a bf-gf love…b/c I KNOW sometimes that love ain't fo'evah.

Great job on your artwork, it looks awesome!
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Get Fit Goal Wrap UpMy Profile

16 Paige @ Running Around Normal April 26, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Ahhh you are so patient and good at this ish, Alyssa!
Paige @ Running Around Normal recently posted..Reading Recipes in the KitchenMy Profile

17 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life April 26, 2012 at 4:32 pm

My fav quote is “Do what you love and fuck the rest” but that might become a little troublesome once my son learns to read. ;) I have a huge empty wall in my room that I’m trying to figure out what to do with. Thanks for the great idea!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Eight Moves for AbsMy Profile

18 Easa April 26, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Love this!

I, myself, could not stand looking at “self made art” because of my lack of skills, but I’m good at subcontracting:

That project is currently in my garage as Jenna finishes it up, then it needs to get installed and that’s where my part begins, I’ll probably have to figure out some better lighting to show it off.
Easa recently posted..INTJMy Profile

19 Annie @ What's Annie Making? April 26, 2012 at 6:27 pm

This is so cute! I’ve always wondered where to get pallets like this. I’ve seen a lot of crafty things with them around these days.
Annie @ What’s Annie Making? recently posted..Holy GuacamoleMy Profile

20 Dusty @ Running to Healthy April 26, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Super cute

21 Val @eatrunandfancyfun April 26, 2012 at 8:39 pm

That turned out so cute, great idea!!

The quote I would choose would be:
“You are exactly where you are suppose to be”
It’s #1 from The 7 Universal Truths.
Val @eatrunandfancyfun recently posted..Nerds In NeonMy Profile

22 Heidi Nicole April 27, 2012 at 12:05 am

That looks really cool! And it seems easy enough…minus the actually writing words part, I’d suck at that. Although your words look great and perfectly spaced!
Heidi Nicole recently posted..Settling InMy Profile

23 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 27, 2012 at 6:34 am

Wow, very impressive, Alyssa! I’m the least artsy person in the world, so there’s no way I could pull something like that off!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Nashville or Bust!My Profile

24 Christina Marie April 27, 2012 at 10:40 am

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken. (Oscar Wilde)

I love DIY art!! Good job :)
Christina Marie recently posted..Comment on Panic. Not involving disco. Maybe camping. by KatherineMy Profile

25 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 27, 2012 at 10:59 am

Hmmm, good question…
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

(A quote rumored to be by Ben Franklin, but some say otherwise. I don’t know how said it, but he/she was definitely wise.)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Five for Friday: Link Love EditionMy Profile

26 Carol April 27, 2012 at 1:07 pm

your artwork is AMAZING! I was really happy and inspired to do some artwork too. :)
Carol recently posted..authentic Murano glassMy Profile

27 Cinnamon @ eatpraytri April 27, 2012 at 2:06 pm

“It is well with my soul”
Love that one!
Cinnamon @ eatpraytri recently posted..The day from heck and ColdplayMy Profile

28 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 27, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Beautiful! You have such a steady hand…when you first started this project I did not think this is what it was going to turn into. I always like “I choose peace over this”
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Spa Comfort Zone: Step Outside your Norm [+ Spa Week Giveaway]My Profile

29 Ashley @ Freckles and Spice April 27, 2012 at 8:37 pm

I love that! It is so creative and art is even better when you make it yourself.
Ashley @ Freckles and Spice recently posted..Dusting myself off and getting back on the horseMy Profile

30 Maddy April 27, 2012 at 10:45 pm

Love this! I’d probably write “Don’t let your dreams be dreams” because I’m still not over Jack Johnson.

31 Ricole Runs April 28, 2012 at 12:22 am

I love love LOVE this. Wow this looks great, I LOVE the wood especially and I can’t believe it just came from a palette! HOw did you make the lettering look so beautiful??
Ricole Runs recently posted..Give Me Liberty, or Give Me Cheesesteaks!My Profile

32 Beka April 28, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Great stuff! I definitely will try something like this once I get decorating around the house.
Beka recently posted..A model older.My Profile

33 Patti @ This Starts Tonight April 28, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Maaaaan how did you get through more than one surgery recovery?! I got my wisdom teeth out yesterday (YESTERDAY) and already stopped pain meds just so I could do yoga. I am already itching to run/weight train again! How did you survive a week without workouts?!
Patti @ This Starts Tonight recently posted..You have but slumbered hereMy Profile