Bunny Hopping, DIY Projects, and Easter Fun

April 10, 2012 · 35 comments

We had quite the Easter holiday over here in Virginia Beach.

Did you hear about the Navy jet crash?

I was on my first long run in a while when I counted about 8 police cars speeding by with their lights and sirens on. I didn’t think much of it, but got some text messages from friends asking if I was alright. After my initial thoughts of “geez, guys, I know I’m still a little out of shape, but I can survive a long run,” I heard from my friend Jamie that just a few miles away, a Navy jet had crashed into an oceanfront apartment complex.

The amazing part? There were no casualties, including the pilots. Although 40 homes are completely destroyed, no one was killed in the crash. Especially remarkable considering people would have been home from work on the holiday. It truly was a Good Friday.

Especially because these guys were in town all weekend. And for their anniversary, they went to see the Hunger Games. Don’t try to pretend that’s not a relationship of which you’re envious. And yes, I enjoyed it just as much the second time around.

In other news, I was feelin’ a little crafty over the long weekend. One project finished:

My door needed some love. I’m pretty proud of that little jitty. It took me about 45 minutes to put together and cost me less than $15.

And one project in the works:

Any guesses as to what that might turn out to be?

And I finally got to see one of my favorite little chicas in all of Virginia Beach.

While I hung out with her boyfriend.

While that may sound fishy, it’s completely normal. Don’t let his Blue Steel fool you into thinking he doesn’t love our time together.

In conclusion, I have a confession.

I’m an overprotective mother.

I have waited over a year to finally take Chloe to the beach (yeah… merely miles from my house).

Honestly, it’s only because I was too nervous about her drinking the entire ocean and puking all over the place.

However, I’m happy to report, she did just fine.

And after diving headfirst and ending up completely under water, she was terrified of the waves.

…which came in pretty handy in the end.

Sorry if you were expecting to see her graceful swimming here. We weren’t able to catch that on camera. Just use your imagination and picture a dog bunny-hopping through water. It was very Easter-appropriate.

Catch me up. What was the highlight of your Easter?

1 Bailey April 10, 2012 at 10:20 am

Your wreath looks awesome…did you know you can buy the actual stick wreath part at the dollar tree…for…yep you guessed it ONE dollar! I’m excited to see what you do with those wooden thingy’s (Can’t think of name) and super jealous of those beach pictures! Anyways so i’m flying out to wv tommorow to fiance and I can take engagement pics and will be a mere 8 hours away from you…i’ll be sure to radiate some love your way! Love reading about your sweet little life, keep it up! And bonus snaps for me…i have been to the gym for a solid 9 days in a row now…and was feeling pretty awesome (4 lbs down) until this personal trainer dude told me i couldn’t eat fruit anymore and basically if i wanted a flat stomach in 9 weeks all i could have was leafy greens, chicken and turkey. boo on him…you think thats true?

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

That’s an interesting question, and I’ve found that views on fruit tend to vary with different nutritionists. On my plan, Jim has me eating a piece of fruit with almost every meal (remember, I’m eating about 6 small meals a day) for carb energy. I am, however, completely off of any dried fruit and fruit juice, since they have so much sugar. I’m assuming the natural sugar in fresh fruit is a-okay in his book.

I think the guy you’re talking to is a little more old school. I’m no expert, but it sounds like he’s going all low-carb. If you’re doing cardio, I’d keep in fresh fruits for the energy. :)

HAVE FUN on your engagement shoot! I want to see the final products!

3 Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air April 10, 2012 at 10:22 am

That was a funny vid – glad you finally took Chloe to the beach, and glad you weren’t near the plane crash!
Leah @ Chocolate and Wild Air recently posted..Marathon Tuesdays – part 7My Profile

4 Erika - The Teenage Taste April 10, 2012 at 10:31 am

Sounds like a fabulous Easter, Alyssa! I wish I got to go to the beach – my doggie absolutely loves the ocean water!

5 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third April 10, 2012 at 10:37 am

Highlight of my Easter was spending all weekend with my awesome family, and of course… stuffing my face with Peeps!!!!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..11 Miles that turned to 10… that felt like 20.My Profile

6 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy April 10, 2012 at 10:42 am

I love that wreath, so cute! I think I saw something like it on Pinterest :)

7 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots April 10, 2012 at 10:49 am

the wreath is so cute, I may have to try and make something like that to be festive for the spring! I dog sit for a black lab often and bring him to the lake near his house for a walk and once he gets into the lake it is soo difficult to get him out, those labs love water!

8 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries April 10, 2012 at 10:52 am

Is it going to be a desk?! Cory wants to make a desk out of those things…
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..This Familiar RutMy Profile

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 10, 2012 at 11:02 am

nooope… ;)

10 theAlmostRunner April 10, 2012 at 11:03 am

Luke and I attempted to fly a kite! : ) It was a great, relaxing weekend. Looks like the beach was a blast!
theAlmostRunner recently posted..Blowin’ ChunksMy Profile

11 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat April 10, 2012 at 11:12 am

I had NO idea that no one died – that’s incredible! The highlight of my Easter was pure sugar overload after 40 days (added) sugar-free! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..18 But Still My Baby BrotherMy Profile

12 Easa April 10, 2012 at 11:42 am

A shoe rack for all your running shoes?

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 10, 2012 at 1:19 pm

I actually need that way more than I need what I’m actually making.

14 Emily April 10, 2012 at 11:52 am

Is it going to be a patio table?! I saw one on Pinterest made out of those things with wheels on the bottom!

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm

gosh, I WISH I was that good… ;) not quite!

16 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 10, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Chloe looks so happy!! I love it! :)

We had a great Easter weekend with gorgeous weather. We hiked up a mountain on Friday, I ran 11 miles on Saturday morning, and we enjoyed pizza while sitting outside and enjoying the weather Saturday evening. Sunday was church. Great weekend!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..King of the Mountain … and a Giveaway.My Profile

17 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness April 10, 2012 at 1:26 pm

Looks like you had a blast! I love taking dog’s for new experiences. I remember the first time my pup saw snow. So funny! For Easter I was able to get out of the city for a short trip to CT…it was a nice little break from the hustle and bustle.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Work Achievement: 9 Ways to Handle a Sucky BossMy Profile

18 Amber K April 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Wow, how scary! I’m so glad no one was hurt. That wreath is absolutely beautiful. I have no idea what the other project is going to be.
Amber K recently posted..Money? Where’s My Candy?My Profile

19 janetha April 10, 2012 at 1:32 pm

oh my gosh. i wish i lived near the beach. i love dogs at the beach and wish i could take mine!
janetha recently posted..so meaty.My Profile

20 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe April 10, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I FINALLY got to see Hunger Games – I talked my husband into seeing it on our day off on Friday since it was too cold and windy for golf! Loved it. I thought it stayed very close to the book and given the movie time constraints did about as well as it could! Looking forward to the next one! I also PR’d in my race on Saturday, while wearing bunny ears. Boom goes the dynamite.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Dear 16-year-old me…My Profile

21 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat April 10, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Highlight of my day was playing tennis with the hubby!

22 Lindsay @ Fuel My Family April 10, 2012 at 2:13 pm

That is crazy no one was hurt. I have quite a few jet pilot friends in VA beach that went through flight school with my husband. We are going to be up there in 1 1/2 weeks for a Cystic Fibrosis walk and some time at the beach!
And I love your wreath, I need to get back to my creative projects! Pinterest has kind of dissapointing me in the craft area, but certainly not the food area!
Lindsay @ Fuel My Family recently posted..Meatballs from SantaMy Profile

23 Jamie April 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Wow my boobs look big! Impressive. D$ loves you more than his face will ever show!!! ;) Please say you will be in town this weekend!!

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss April 10, 2012 at 3:24 pm

haahaha. I love you. butttt chances are I’ll be visiting Daner at her new pad in Charlotte this weekend. if plans change and Chloe isn’t allowed down there, I’ll be harassing you as usual.

25 Yellow Haired Girl April 10, 2012 at 3:45 pm

That video made me happy :) I’m so jealous of your proximity to the beach!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Lentil Lovin’My Profile

26 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy April 10, 2012 at 6:35 pm

That wreath is awesome, I really need to whip one up for the spring season. And Chloe is so freaking cute!! I can’t wait to take Mac to the river where we take our boat and see how he does in the water. His little feet are super webbed so I think he’s going to dig it.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..BBQ MeatloafMy Profile

27 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile April 10, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Awww she is too cute!!! I’ve taken my dog to the beach once, he didn’t like it too much, he’s a little yorkie haha. I used to have a black lab and he LOVED the water/beach.
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Pain and Toxic FumesMy Profile

28 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 10, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Oh my gosh! I’m so glad you’re okay – it’s amazing there were no casualties in that crash.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..copycat chipotle cilantro lime riceMy Profile

29 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey April 10, 2012 at 9:17 pm

PS – next time you might want to make chloe wear a bathing suit when she goes swimming. I have her boyfriend over here going crazy over those photos of her frolicking in the ocean.

30 Amy April 10, 2012 at 10:27 pm

So glad you are safe and no one was hurt in the crash. It looks like you are having nice weather in Va. Chloe is SO cute! And the wreath is beautiful. I am inspired to make one for my front door, too ;)

31 Julie @ There and Back Again April 10, 2012 at 11:11 pm

That jet crash was crazy!! I live on the Outer Banks (so not too far from VA Beach), and I actually found out about it at work because our (silent) TV was playing constant replays. Such good fortune that nobody lost their lives.

Also, I take my black lab to the beach all the time and he loves it – the pictures of Chloe doing the same are adorable! Not gonna lie, he pukes afterwards from the salt water about half the time (he’s a total spaz and doesn’t know when to stop swimming and splashing), but it doesn’t make him love it any less the next time we go :)
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..Adventures in Steam CleaningMy Profile

32 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 11, 2012 at 8:44 am

I’m glad she did so well at the beach. It looks like a lot of fun for both of you!

Oh… and I have no idea about the project. Good luck with it!
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Quick (Or Not So Quick) RecapMy Profile

33 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts April 11, 2012 at 9:30 am

Cute wreath :)
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Slow-Cooker Brisket Tacos with Tangy Chimichurri ZucchiniMy Profile

34 julia April 11, 2012 at 10:35 am

Spending my Easter with my Family just at home.I want to go in beach too want that my dog swimming.
julia recently posted..Part of the range of 1.5 MiracleMy Profile

35 Kellie @ Compelled To Do So April 11, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Sounds like you had a fabulous Easter weekend!

I am interning in New York City right now (I’m from Ohio), so I didn’t get my usual fill of family time on Easter Sunday. I was bummed at first, but then my mom surprised me and informed me that she hid my Easter basket in my closet while she was visiting a few weeks ago. It was definitely the highlight of my Easter!

… Oh, and I saw really pretty flowers during my Sunday run by the Hudson. :)
Kellie @ Compelled To Do So recently posted..Ups and DownsMy Profile