Tutus Aren’t Too Aerodynamic (Shamrock Half Marathon Race Recap)

March 20, 2012 · 39 comments

If you recall, I was all stressed about running for time vs. running for fun for the Shamrock Half Marathon. After being unable to train due to surgery, I was frustrated and assumed I’d have a rough time running another 13.1.

I quickly remembered the reason I adore the Shamrock is because of how amazingly FUN it is. The after party is the best of any I’ve attended, and it’s almost impossible to not have a blast.

So I compromised and combined the two. I knew I’d have fun. So, I told myself if I was feeling up to it, I’d try my best and run the race to the best of my ability. My only rule for myself was “no expectations.” I wouldn’t beat myself up if I didn’t finish the way I’d hoped.

I mean… we obviously took ourselves very seriously when selecting our race outfits, as usual.

And when you finish exactly 1 minute and 2 seconds later than your PR, just blame the tutu.

Or the melanoma and the lack of training… but it’s funnier to blame the tutu.

Like I said, my only promise to myself was “no expectations.” So I’m taking it.

And while we wait for these awesome official race photos from the Brightroom team, I’ll grace you with my own of pre-race and afterparty.

On race days, I’m a morning person (and all other days of the year…. all bets are off).

Thankfully, the weather was about 20 degrees warmer than last year’s Shamrock. We got to the start line a good 10 minutes ahead of gun time, stretched, and were good to go.

At 7 a.m. sharp, we were ready to Shamrock ‘n’ Roll.

And by around 8:43, we made the day about beer and tutus pictures.

Psst… the tuts are from the children’s section at Target. NBD.

“Beer me.”

AND LOOK WHO LOLed HER WAY OVER TO ME?

Hollie and literally ran smack into each other on the bike path. VA Beach is a sickeningly small world.

They played Journey.

And a ball was had by all.

Shamrock Half Marathon 2012: 1:43:58.

Although there was no PR, I’d say my fifth half marathon was a mission: accomplished.

1 Krysty March 20, 2012 at 12:33 pm

Way to go! It looks like you had a blastie!! And I’d say a total success! here’s hoping you heal fast so you can get back out to pounding the pavement… with your feet that is. :)

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 20, 2012 at 12:36 pm

The majority of us would KILL for a time like that! It’s amazing that that’s a race with low expectations in your book. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Spring ThingsMy Profile

3 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 20, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Damn! That pace in insane. Congrats!!! And just as important (if not more), the after party looks awesome. I might have to seriously consider that race next year!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Spring Cleaning: Classroom Style!My Profile

4 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts March 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

CONGRATS :) awesome time :)

5 Kelsey March 20, 2012 at 12:42 pm

yay! I’m glad you had such a fun time! love your tutu’s and of course sparkley BIC band!
Kelsey recently posted..Sweat Pink Giveaway!My Profile

6 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 20, 2012 at 12:49 pm

Congrats, Alyssa!!! Sounds like you had an awesome day. And I would definitely blame the tutu. ;) Nothing that cute is ever helpful! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Red Face, Purple Nails, and Green Beer.My Profile

7 Shannon March 20, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Still nothing to sneeze at! And you looked good doing it!
Shannon recently posted..Spring Goals (A Running Post)My Profile

8 Amber K March 20, 2012 at 1:39 pm

Congrats on your race! I’m going to blame the tutu from now on ;)
Amber K recently posted..Green Beer Line DancingMy Profile

9 Elizabeth March 20, 2012 at 1:42 pm

Congrats Alyssa! Looked like you had an awesome time! Target kids section has the best tutus…. I may or may not have gotten a black sparkly one with stars for Halloween.
Elizabeth recently posted..Thanksgiving Dinner DateMy Profile

10 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 20, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Um, that is still an AMAZING time! Congrats!

11 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List March 20, 2012 at 2:01 pm

That’s an amazing time!! Maybe we can run together in Boulder!!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..tuesday trainer – meet your trainers – part VMy Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

done and done. see ya there.

13 Kailey March 20, 2012 at 2:32 pm

GIT IT GIT IT!!!! Wow, that’s an amazing time! Never mind the training or tutu; that’s still incredible!

Hope you’re healing well, my love! xo
Kailey recently posted..FlopMy Profile

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 20, 2012 at 4:10 pm

luuuhhhhh you, twinsie.

15 Hollie@lolzthatswim March 20, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Like I told you there-you did amazing considering all the cirumstances! I think that your next one will be awesome and hopefully you’ll PR. Do you have any on the radar anytime soon?
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Oh IT Band…My Profile

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 20, 2012 at 4:09 pm

thanks, boo. you SUH-MOKED me!

I actually don’t have any on the radar. def not doing Wburg again… I want to do something totally different like Team Hoyt or serve as a pacer next, I think. :)

17 Hollie@lolzthatswim March 20, 2012 at 4:31 pm

I’m doing the ZOOMA womans female half June 2nd or 3rd in Annapolis! You should give that one a look! It seems like it would be so fun!
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Oh IT Band…My Profile

18 Jen@FoodFamilyFitness March 20, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Congrats on running the race, looks like a blast!
Jen@FoodFamilyFitness recently posted..Mamavation Monday {too much too soon}My Profile

19 Becky March 20, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Awesome job!
Totally random, but what size width is your Bic band?

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 20, 2012 at 4:08 pm

the one I wore in these pictures is a skinny. I actually own way more skinny minny BIC bands, though. I probably have 10 in all. I’m a sparkle BIC band hoarder.

21 Lisa March 20, 2012 at 3:53 pm

You are quite the champ! That’s impressive to do after surgery! I’d say it was a success, looks like you had a ton of fun :) And that’s always the part that matters I think
Lisa recently posted..HIIT & A WorkoutMy Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 20, 2012 at 4:07 pm

agreed! if it’s not fun, then why do it?

23 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 20, 2012 at 4:02 pm

You are just buckets and buckets of fun! You should be proud (like WOAH) of a race like that after surgery- wahoo!
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Baby Girl at 6 Months OldMy Profile

24 Michelle @ Blogitness March 20, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Congrats! I love the tutus!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..So Much For an Injury-Free Year!My Profile

25 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 20, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Congratulations!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..I CheatedMy Profile

26 Emily March 20, 2012 at 10:26 pm

The outfits are adorable! It looks like you were definitely in good company. (:
Congratulations on completing the race and your awesome time!
Emily recently posted..Gimme an A, a B, and a C…My Profile

27 Liz @ iheartvegtables March 20, 2012 at 10:43 pm

That looks like a genuinely FUN race!!!
Liz @ iheartvegtables recently posted..#VAis4Bloggers- Richmond EditionMy Profile

28 Jen @ The Well Wire March 20, 2012 at 10:44 pm

OMG your tutus are great! Did it get in the way of the run at all? I’ve always wondered if I could pull something like that off. I guess if you are able to wear your normal running get-up, it probably isn’t bad.
The Shamrock Half sounds like a blast. I will have to check it out for next year. I did the St. Patty’s Day 8K in DC and it was really fun (especially the Irish dancing that they had after. I definitely participated on the sidelines). Thanks for sharing your experience!
Jen @ The Well Wire recently posted..The Hunger Games Tribute: 8 Best Outdoor Survival WorkoutsMy Profile

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 21, 2012 at 8:42 am

after the awful gift sacks we wore for the surfin santa 10k, I think I can handle anything! haha.. the tutus weren’t bad at all. my only complaint would be that mine rode up my waist a little.

30 Chelsea March 20, 2012 at 11:04 pm

Well aren’t you just miss speedy gonzalez?! Way to go girl! I need to copy your training haha.
Chelsea recently posted..FIRE IT UP FITNESS BODYROCK…
10/50sec x 12 rounds
10x high…
My Profile

31 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 21, 2012 at 12:06 am

Damn…melanoma, tutu, and lack of as much training as you had hoped for and still 1:43. You seriously kick ass
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..I’ve Turned Into A WussMy Profile

32 Katy @ HaveYouHurd March 21, 2012 at 8:00 am

Girlfriend, if I could run that time after not training I would pass out from excitement alone! I ran in the Rock n’ Roll half up in D.C. last weekend and ran it in 2:04:50 and thought I might die by the end!!!! Congrats on a GREAT race time and an even better race outfit!!!

33 Kristin @ FoodFash March 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

I’m not a runner, but a minute over your PR seems like a pretty darn good time for someone who hasn’t been training! Congrats!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Sick Girl SeasoningsMy Profile

34 Becca March 21, 2012 at 11:16 am

Sounds like you had a great race!! Congrats! The Shamrock looks like a fun race. My sister ran it this year also. I am not good with cold weather so I like to stick with the rock and roll in September :) I’m much better when the sun is out! I hope your surgery went well so you can be back out running as soon as possible!

35 Lizzy March 21, 2012 at 11:58 am

wow this looks like the most FUN race everrrr!!! <–bad grammar! :)
you would have been sub 1:40 without the Tutu!! but the race would not have been as much fun! you have a TON more half's to race and get PR's in so it's awesome that you took this one as an 'in the moment' FUN race! LOVE it!
and I loveee Hollie! I need to come do this race next year!
I hope you're feeling great post-race!
xoxo!
Lizzy recently posted..Kicking off the racing-season…My Profile

36 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 21, 2012 at 12:25 pm

SO fun! I am looking forward to my TWO MILER on sunday, I’ll be rocking my Irish Flag Tutu! AND So will my mom! We’re there for the beer!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Well, they caught me… I’m going to jail.My Profile

37 Ricole Runs March 22, 2012 at 12:47 am

I’d say that’s pretty dang fast considering and only 1 minute of your PR is AWESOME! I also LOVE the tutu, I’ve ran in a tutu in 2 out of 3 last races and it is my most favorite thing ever! :-)
Ricole Runs recently posted..I Kicked Off My Sunday ShoesMy Profile