Things I Learned Thursday

March 1, 2012 · 37 comments

Fact: Hot liquids crack glass.

I knew this. Really, I did. After working in the restaurant industry on and off for six years as a student, I was aware I had to wait to put cold drinks in the hot glasses from the dishwasher to avoid cracking.

Last night, I obviously forgot my training.

Here I am, happily peeling and chopping my veggies and apples to make my favorite soup of Chelsey’s (you know. I’m obsessed). I’ve put in all the grunt work, making the soup on the stove since all my crock pots are tiny and I’m more into instant gratification anyway. I’m pouring the stewed contents into the blender for the final step of the soupmaking hoedown when I hear a loud crack.

Eff.

So… I sit there, pouting and glaring at my blender. Maybe if I stare at it angrily long enough it’ll fix itself out of mere terror.

Not so much.

These are my kitchen conundrums I call “Mamoe to the Rescue.” Mamoe was my maternal grandmother (and the coolest, sassiest, chattiest lady in the world) who passed away my senior year of college, and as the only young cousin, I was given a lot of her kitchen utensils. There have been multiple times Mamoe’s old school appliances have saved my meals life.

This tiny little engine-that-could of a chopper, OSKAR JR. as it reads, was my last hope. It took about 9 times, but I patiently filled the little guy up, chopped, and poured the soup into a big tupperware. As I sullenly chopped, I said a little thank-you prayer to Mamoe, adding apologies for the string of expletives that came out of my mouth over the cracked blender.

Thankfully, the end result was still delicious. The soup came out a little thicker, and with a side of my beloved Wasa crackas, I was a fan.

Also, after I called Mom with the story, she told me that “Duh, you’re supposed to put a cold spoon in the glass before you pour in the hot liquid to avoid cracking.”

Well, I never. Nice of someone to teach me that one before I turned 24 and ruined a perfectly good blender in my quest for delicious butternut squash apple soup, Mom.

Now, who has a new blender recommendation?

1 Carol @ Lucky Zucca March 1, 2012 at 4:07 pm

I love my Oster blender!! It works great. But… it has a glass pitcher (bowl?). Then again, plastic ones are gross anyways! 🙂 Isn’t it awesome how Grandmas can still save the day even when they’re not around anymore?
Carol @ Lucky Zucca recently posted..Homemade Falafel WrapsMy Profile

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Immersion blender! I use it more than any other cheap gadget for soup making.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Protein Peanut Apple Crisp (GF & Vegan)My Profile

3 Rachel March 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

My fiance and I have a Ninja blender and we love it! Bed, Bath and Beyond sells them (as does Target and things of that nature!)

4 katie March 1, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Vita-Mix!!!!!!!!!!!!!

: )
katie recently posted..Damn Skippy!My Profile

5 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance March 1, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I definitely would have done that too… I’ve never heard to the cold spoon thing, I guess I should keep that in mind!
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Hungry? Snack on Garlic Lemon Hummus!My Profile

6 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy March 1, 2012 at 4:43 pm

You gotta get an immersion blender girl, especially if you make a lot of soup like some of us do… ahem. And crack is whack.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Oh hiMy Profile

7 Jill March 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm

An immersion blender changed my life, no joke. So much easier (and safer!) than transferring hot goods into a blender… plus, one less vessel to clean!

8 Amanda March 1, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Just found your blog a few days ago and love itttt – perfect mix of fitness/nutrition and fun! I never knew the cold spoon trick – I feel like you don’t learn these things until you screw up and someone gives you the “duh .. ” response. Anywho, I have an immersion blender which really is the best for soups. You don’t have to transfer it in batches and it’s fun! I also have a cheapo (Hamilton Beach?) blender from Bed Bath & Beyond that I got to make smoothies. It’s not great, but it’s plastic not glass and I’ve had a glass blender break, too …

9 Erin March 1, 2012 at 4:51 pm

I’ve done this so many times (learning my lesson isn’t my strong suit) and the worst part of it is that not only have you ruined the blender but you’ve ruined the soup, too. Heart breaking.

10 Ali March 1, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Vitamix! I know they are ungodly expensive, but really you can’t beat them! They are amazing:)
Ali recently posted..Strength Training for LegsMy Profile

11 Jenn's Adventures March 1, 2012 at 5:09 pm

VitaMix!

Hands down, period.

Best investment you will ever make!

DO IT:)

12 Theresa March 1, 2012 at 5:11 pm

to be honest, i probably wouldve made the same mistake…i dont think my blender is glass, its plastic so maybe i wouldve been ok 😉
Theresa recently posted..Cures for the Blues and Pasta DinnersMy Profile

13 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third March 1, 2012 at 5:13 pm

A cold spoon, huh? Learn something new every day!
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..Wedding Wednesday: Our Engagement StoryMy Profile

14 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 1, 2012 at 5:25 pm

ahhh! My blender is plastic, so i didn’t have that problem! Lo siento friend!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..blueberry basil muffinsMy Profile

15 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts March 1, 2012 at 5:52 pm

haha hilarious.. that is why I don’t buy things that are glass… We use a magic bullet.. teeny tiny, but gets the job done 🙂
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Overheated?My Profile

16 julie March 1, 2012 at 6:27 pm

wow your mom and grandma are geniuses i would have done the same thing as you then cried and pouted the night away haha
julie recently posted..operation: old saybrookMy Profile

17 Amber K March 1, 2012 at 2:35 pm

One day when I’m rich I’m going to get a Vita-Mix and then I hopefully won’t have these types of problems! I haven’t actually done this because I have a Magic Bullet and a food processor, both of which are plastic. But I am totally the person who would if they were glass!
Amber K recently posted..Leap Day CakeMy Profile

18 Paige March 1, 2012 at 3:28 pm

LOL! I’m so sorry about the blender, but I can totally relate. Whenever I break glass, I stand there, wide-eyed, seeming to lose any and all problem-solving skills that I previously had.
Shane makes fun of me for it too. The other day I broke a glass jar of salsa in the self-check out line at Kroger, and when I was telling him the story, he said “and what look did you give them after it broke??” ha..ha.
Paige recently posted..Dirty Little OfficeMy Profile

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 1, 2012 at 4:18 pm

That is 100% something I would do. I feel your pain, my friend.
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..WIAW and I love Publix.My Profile

20 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 1, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I just got an immersion blender for soups – so awesome. And mine is orange. http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-CSB-76BC-SmartStick-200-Watt-Immersion/dp/B000EGA6QI/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1330640170&sr=8-1-fkmr0 Under $30. Dooo it.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted.."It’s a marshmallow world in the winter…"My Profile

21 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 1, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I’ve never heard of the spoon in the glass thing before. Our moms always have hidden tricks up their sleeves. I know everyone has said it, but the immersion blender is the way to go! Your soup looked tasty, but I am sure you know that already.
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Orange Heaven: Have a Slice of Cara CaraMy Profile

22 heather b. March 1, 2012 at 10:36 pm

i didn’t know about the spoon trick either. do you put it in, pour in the soup, then pull it out a bit later? vitamix is a great option. you can get a bpa free container. and it can def. handle hot liquids. in fact, you can make soup in it.

23 Miranda @ Biting Life March 1, 2012 at 10:41 pm

My mom and I just broke our blender too! We debated about it for weeks, but finally decided to cough up the cash and get the Vitamix. It was totally worth it – we love it!!! We’ve been using it for EVERYTHING lately.

24 Parita @ myinnershakti March 2, 2012 at 9:09 am

If you can’t splurge for a VitaMix quite yet (like myself), I would go for the Ninja. It perfectly blends soups, smoothies, blondie batters, etc. I love my set!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..3 Changes for a [Hopefully] Clearer FaceMy Profile

25 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry March 2, 2012 at 9:12 am

Well that is a sad day for your blender, but I am glad Mamoe saved your soup!
I said on my blog once that I loved that my Nana always has to be touching me if she is sitting near me, and you said your Mamoe was the same 🙂 Aww.
Also, I love that you called her Mamoe! I used to call my grandpa DeeDad, and I love cute names like that.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Birthday TwinsMy Profile

26 Lena @Fit on the Rocks March 2, 2012 at 11:03 am

A cold spoon?? Well I never….

I have a POS blender from 6 years ago in undergrad, but I guess I can’t dog it too much because I’ve put hot soup straight into that thing several times without a crack. Cheap = good.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Swift Kick in the ButtMy Profile

27 Kendalyn March 4, 2012 at 2:16 pm

I have an immersion blender and it is AMAZING for soups. Especially if you’re eating it that night since you don’t have to wait for it to cool! Mine is Cuisinart and I got it off Amazon for under $30. They also have some packages that come with extra attachments, too, that are sometimes cheaper.