I Won’t Spoil The Hunger Games Premiere

March 23, 2012 · 60 comments

…I promise.

**BUT, if you haven’t read the books and don’t want the relationship dynamics revealed, don’t read this.**

I need to say something about my midnight Hunger Games movie event. I refuse to ruin the grand event for you, but I WILL tell you I was very satisfied leaving the theater at 2:45 a.m. I second everything Cely said; the woman took the words right outta my mouth. I was captivated, enthralled, and moved. Lisa-Marie agreed.

Also, the $20 IMAX experience and three hours of sleep were totally worth it.

It is yet to be determined if I have my excitement endorphins or the 5 Hour Energy to thank for keeping me alert until 4 a.m.

So special. I pretended my surgery bandage was just a little scrape from a rogue arrow or knife in the arena. See? I was even in costume.

No, wait. These people were in costume. I got a little awkward when my iPhone auto flash went off as I tried to creep and snipe this photo.

I go into movies adapted from my favorite books with very low expectations after being disappointed time and time again. I don’t want to talk about My Sister’s Keeper… the ending was BRILLIANT in the book and they just effed everything up in the movie. I’ll never get over it.

HOWEVER, The Hunger Games movie was fantastic. The storyline stayed true to the book for the most part, and honestly, if it was any closer to the book, the move would have probably lasted until 5 a.m. and I’d be currently passed out on my office floor. The acting was superb unlike certain popculture movies-from-books actresses I cannot stand. Jennifer Lawrence is my new fave, and she was an unreal Katniss. And Peeta was very, very believable. Josh Hutcherson said in an interview he related to Peeta’s character on a level he never has before, and I could see it. Even with the goofball face he sported for the first 10 minutes of his entrance.

via

Which leads me to another point. I have lost all respect for girls who declare they are “TEAM GALE” just because Liam Hemsworth is a hunkasuarus. I agree, he’s a real dreamboat. But that makes you Team LIAM, not Team Gale. By the way, are you remembering that this guy dated (is dating? who wants to confirm the status?) Miley Cyrus? Sad. He just lost 12-14 cool points for me.

I guess I get a little defensive because I think everyone should agree with me, naturally, and be all for Team Peeta. In my honest opinion, if Gale really wanted Katniss, he should have made a move in the very beginning. Peeta proves his love for Katniss time and time again. Gale just chills like a ween and makes little effort to pursue his love compared to Peeta.

via

The rational, well-rested side of me would say “end rant” here, but let’s be honest. I’ll argue this one to the death. And in that case, may the odds be ever in your favor.

Looks like functioning on little sleep makes me feisty.

1 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 23, 2012 at 10:01 am

Awww, now I really really really want to see it! I’m glad you had a good time. I rarely go to the movies, but I think this is one that might be better with the full theater experience.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..You Might Be A Blogger If…My Profile

2 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 23, 2012 at 10:02 am

I’m so so so glad it was good! And I’m so so so jealous that you saw it last night and I didn’t. And yes, Liam is totally STILL dating Miley. BARF.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..When The Buddy System FailsMy Profile

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 10:04 am

I knew I could count on you to provide me with up-to-date teeny bopper culture ;)

and I love you for it.

4 Gabby March 23, 2012 at 10:04 am

Love the review! Can’t wait to see it tonight.

And yeah Liam plus Miley equals negative on the cool scale.
Gabby recently posted..Beer Brats and BeerMy Profile

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 23, 2012 at 10:20 am

So jealous! Glad you loved it! This is going to be the longest work day EVER.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Fabulous FridayMy Profile

6 Jasper @ crunchylittlebites March 23, 2012 at 10:26 am

I wanted to go to the midnight viewing so badly! instead, I slept…you are TOO FUNNY Alyssa!
Jasper @ crunchylittlebites recently posted..hard to take a complimentMy Profile

7 Beka March 23, 2012 at 10:29 am

Ah! I can’t wait to see the movie. I just finished book 1 a month or so ago, and hope to pick up book 2 in one of the obscenely overpriced airport stores today to read on my trip.
I was Team Gale through book 1, something about Peeta just seems sneaky. But I can’t wait to read 2 and 3 to see why so many are Team Peeta!
The only midnight showings I have been to was Dark Knight out in California. It was CRAZY!

8 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 10:49 am

I wasn’t sold on Peeta at the end of Book 1. Just you wait… ;)

9 Lauren March 23, 2012 at 10:30 am

I am so excited to see this!!! I actually think both Liam and Josh are hot…my only issue with Josh is that he seems too small and young for Peeta :( I mean, at the premieres and stuff he looks like a little kid. I guess it doesn’t come across that way though in the movie??

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 10:50 am

I actually felt like he was the perfect Peeta. in the book (for me, at least) he seemed young/boyish, and Josh gets it pretty spot on.

11 Brianne March 23, 2012 at 10:50 am

Cool! Can’t wait to see the movie and I am not sure I can make a midnight showing ever LOL.

glad your surgery went ok!

and PS TOTALLY 100% agree on my sisters keeper the movie left me so mad! The book was a bazillion times better :)

12 Kelsey March 23, 2012 at 10:55 am

CAN’T WAIT!!!
Kelsey recently posted..Friday FavesMy Profile

13 Natalie March 23, 2012 at 11:00 am

I am so into this post! I just couldn’t get on the Twilight bandwagon (books OR the movies), but I’m loving Hunger Games. Fingers crossed I can see it this weekend, I’ve been talking about it with some girl friends but we haven’t made any real plans yet. I NEED MY PEETA!

14 Yellow Haired Girl March 23, 2012 at 11:01 am

I can’t flippin’ wait to see this! My tickets are for tomorrow and I’ve now read eighteen thousand blogs of people who saw it last night.

And I’m on TEAM ALYSSA when it comes to this TEAM GALE/LIAM crap. Seriously, he dates (dated?) Miley.
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Sweating Out SicknessMy Profile

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 11:24 am

Team Alyssa is a GREAT team to be on.

16 Parita @ myinnershakti March 23, 2012 at 11:02 am

WOO! Cannot wait to see the movie! And I 100% agree with your rational for Team Peeta vs. Team Gale. Team Peeta…always!!!
Parita @ myinnershakti recently posted..Personality AssessmentMy Profile

17 Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella March 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

a) your review just made me 10xs more excited to see the Hunger Games
b) totally agree with your thoughts on My Sister’s Keeper. Why, oh why would they even think to change the ending?? It was basically what made the book! I hated that too.
Kate @ ibrokemyumbrella recently posted..Friday Favorites- The Hunger Games EditionMy Profile

18 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts March 23, 2012 at 11:07 am

We are going TOMORROW :) cannot wait!

And I totally agree with you about My sister’s Keeper. I loved the movie, other than the complete shit way they ended it. To the directors defense.. the movie was already reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly emotional/sad, and I don’t think the gen pop can handle it. You and I know better!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..ObsessedMy Profile

19 Jessica March 23, 2012 at 11:13 am

I couldn’t have said the whole Peeta/Gale thing better myself. I am SO excited to see this tomorrow!!
Jessica recently posted..Say What?My Profile

20 Jessie @RunforFroYo March 23, 2012 at 11:16 am

Omg I can’t WAIT to see it. I’m with you.. TEAM PEETA! I’m out of town this weekend so I have to wait till MONDAY! Who knows.. maybe I’ll call in sick and go see a 10am by myselfff. .. you in?
Jessie @RunforFroYo recently posted..Leap ListMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

in. 1,000 times over.

22 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables March 23, 2012 at 11:17 am

AHHH I Can’t wait to see it!!!

23 Megan @ Fiterature March 23, 2012 at 11:18 am

OMGosh…my Hunger Games story is a disaster. Set alarm for 2AM to go to the 3:15AM IMAX.
Phone: SHUT OFF ON IT’S OWN TO UPDATE = ME 1.5 hours LATE to the movie.
Oh yea, also this happened. I got pulled over on the way and only got out of a ticket because I pleaded the “but you don’t understand. I’m late for the HUNGER GAMES!” case….totally worked!!
Only saw the last 45 minutes – totally worth it and I’m going again to see the whole thing.
UGH – I’m too old for this crap!

PS – sorry, but I’m Team Gale and here is why. I was a tomboy and loved my boy childhood friend Joey AKA Gale. I felt Gale never made a move because he knew if she didn’t feel the same way, he’d lose her forever. Plus in my head, he was very outdoorsy, scruffy, and manly man – not a Miley groupie. And in my head, (and on-screen), Peeta is a total weenie. Not my style. HOWEVER, as a fellow Hunger Games lover, I can respect your position! And may the odds be ever in YOUR favor ;-)
Megan @ Fiterature recently posted..Quinoa: Food Meant for Superhero BabiesMy Profile

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 11:32 am

holy canoli, there’s no way I could have done 3:15. that’s a disastrous story and I totally would have not gotten out of that ticket.

and okay, I see you on your Team Gale reasoning KINDA (I have respect for those who are truly Team “Gale,” not Team Liam, and understand the difference between a character and an actor), and I see why one could call Peeta the weenie, but I dig how Peeta is all romantical and makes it known from the start how he feels about Katniss whether she feels the same way or not (unlike Gale, who IS the weenie in this respect).

all in all, though, my true “Team Peeta” feelings are solidified by Katniss’ “longing/hunger for more” when she kisses him in the books (I think that develops mostly in book 2). THAT is what makes me truly believe they belong together.

and this IS coming from a girl who likes manly men.

and yes, I am cool enough to have a full-fledged hunger games debate via comment section on my blog. :-D

25 Kelly @ Running Kellometers March 23, 2012 at 11:25 am

I’m seeing it in IMAX tomorrow and I cannot wait! I was disappointing in the casting of Mr. Liam just for the Miley Cyrus/”The Last Song” connection. (I totally agree with the loss of 12-14 cool points.) Team Peeta all the wayyyy from the very beginning! I’m so excited I can barely contain myself!!!
Kelly @ Running Kellometers recently posted..Running in the RainMy Profile

26 Caitlin P. March 23, 2012 at 11:27 am

I am SO jealous I cannot wait to see the movie this weekend!!!! Truthfully while reading the book I was on both Team Gale and Team Peeta. Can’t she have them both? ;)
Caitlin P. recently posted..And so it begins!My Profile

27 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 23, 2012 at 11:28 am

Thanks for your review … I’m definitely looking forward to seeing it!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..You put WHAT in my food?!My Profile

28 Mila @ loftyappetite March 23, 2012 at 11:31 am

haha i love this and I can’t wait to see it!!! I just wanted to clear up that I was team Gale while reading the book, only because Peeta was kind of a whimp and Katniss wore the pants in that “relationship”/his infatuation. And I agree with you about the snooze you lose, but he didn’t totally snooze, they made out a few times and she got weird (typical girl haha). BUT based on all i’ve been hearing/reading about the movie, I might change my team after seeing it on screen and due to the casting. It’ll be hard getting past the Miley Cyrus judgment for Liam….
Mila @ loftyappetite recently posted..social media distractionsMy Profile

29 Tracey March 23, 2012 at 11:40 am

OMG I cannot STAND her either! Same monotone voice, droopy eyes, and lack of emotion in any movie she’s in. Can’t wait to see the Hunger Games this weekend. Thanks for the heads up that it’s totally worth it!

30 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats March 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

Team Peeta all the way! I can’t wait to see the movie!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..Into the Depths of My MindMy Profile

31 Amy @ Living N Learning March 23, 2012 at 12:13 pm

So I couldn’t sleep last night (not sure why) and all I could think about was how not being able to sleep would be better served by seeing a midnight showing of The Hunger Games.

I loved the books and am seriously considering re-reading them already. I have no plans to see the movie yet (sad, I know) but I will definitely be seeing it sometime in my life without a doubt. I definitely thought of you as I was laying sleepless in my bed wishing I could have been cool enough to see it with you.

As for this whole Team Peeta / Team Gale debate I can see both sides but while I was reading the book (nothing to do with casting) I just was drawn to Gale more. It’s been a while since I read the books so I can’t remember why I felt that way. Personal preference maybe? Like I said, I’ll be re-reading the books soon so maybe I’ll explain why after that.
Amy @ Living N Learning recently posted..Now is not the time to fail me car!My Profile

32 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe March 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

You’re making me want to go catch a matinee!
Team PEETA all the way!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Pub Run Thursday!My Profile

33 Heather March 23, 2012 at 1:33 pm

you: I’m not going to spoil the hunger games.
me: oh! good. I haven’t read the books yet so I can read through this.
you: non-spoilery -review. and what appears to be the entire outline of the relationship dynamic between the lead characters.
me: good work not spoiling anything, Alyssa. ;)

xo
Heather recently posted..March [& Spiritual] MadnessMy Profile

34 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 1:35 pm

OH NO. I’M SO SORRY.

what I MEANT was I won’t spoil the movie! not the story itself. oh, shoot. I need to go add a disclaimer in the beginning. FORGIVE ME.

35 Heather March 23, 2012 at 2:01 pm

i love you.
Heather recently posted..March [& Spiritual] MadnessMy Profile

36 Amber K March 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I can’t wait until the crowds thin out! I really want to see it! I don’t know if the crowds will ever thin out on this one though. It sounds so awesome. Team Peeta all the way!
Amber K recently posted..Snow in March and a Sauce FailMy Profile

37 Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls March 23, 2012 at 1:56 pm

Your recap is making me so excited to see the movie I cannot wait!
Elizabeth @ Chocolate Drops and Pearls recently posted..Double Whammy WorkoutMy Profile

38 Tracy March 23, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Team Gale! Since it’s Friday, I’m gonna tell you why. In detail.
1. Katniss is 16. Why would Gale profess his love when they have it good hunting and hanging out together? Clearly she wasn’t ready for any relationship at that age. But then the Hunger Games changed all that forcing everyone to make love pleas.
2. Peeta needs saving. A WHOLE LOT. Plenty of instances where I feel Katniss ends up taking care of him and herself. Sure Peeta loves her and wants to take care of her, but he kind of sucks at it.
3. Which brings me to my third point. Peeta’s desperate love is not enough for me. As the other poster said, Katniss definitely wears the pants in the relationship. Gale loves her AND has something to bring to the table in the form of hunky manly hunting hotness. (I believe that last phrase is a direct quote from the book)

I’m going to try to see it Sunday night to avoid the crowds. You think that plan will work?

39 Tina @ Best Body Fitness March 23, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I so badly wish I was seeing this this weekend! I’m glad to hear the movie was done well. I always get so disappointed by movies. Like, I actually loved the Twilight books, but felt the movies made them so much less genuine and lessened the good story of the books.

And I’m STILL PISSED about My Sister’s Keeper too. WHAT were the producers/directors thinking???
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Fun Fact FridayMy Profile

40 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 3:16 pm

AGREED. I loved Twilight before it became a movie and ruined everything. I read Twilight back in 2007 when my college roommate gave it to me as a birthday present. I was like, “a vampire book? thaaanks..” and LOVED it. then it turned into a teenybopper phenom and I feel dumb for liking it. the end.

41 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident March 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm

I am so excited to see the movie! I am so glad you liked it because it just makes me want to go see it more.
Liam and Miley are def dating, she went to the premier with him and wore this sparkly dress and E! News was freaking out because she stole the red carpet from Liam, which is a bunch of BS in my opinion because Liam will always be wayyyyy more awesome than Miley!

42 Sabrina @ Customized Creations March 23, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I am SO jealous you went to the midnight showing. I can’t wait to see it! My hubby has offered to watch the kids so I can go see it. I just may have to take him up on his offer.

BTW……I am TOTALLY Team Peeta!
Sabrina @ Customized Creations recently posted..St Patrick’s Day WreathMy Profile

43 Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design March 23, 2012 at 3:49 pm

AH SO JEALOUS!!! Cannot WAIT to see this….I am leaving for Vegas for a week early tomorrow, and have been scrambling to get ready, so new midnight viewing or Fri night movie for me….but I am dragging my bf to come see this the second we get back. Unless it rains in Vegas and we need a rainy-day vacation activity. ;)

TEAM PEETA!!! YEAHHHH!!!! <3

44 Ashley March 23, 2012 at 5:17 pm

TEAM PEETA :) I haven’t seen the movie yet, but I read all the books and I can’t wait to see it Monday! I’m so glad to hear it was a good adaptation!

45 Kace March 23, 2012 at 5:30 pm

WAIT ITS IN IMAX?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!? I am going to geek out and admit that I’m relieved you liked the movie. My fave morning show Preston and Steve said it wasn’t as good as the book and so they found it just OK. I know it will never be AS good as the book but I’m hoping its not as laughable as Twilight.

It took me a re-read but I’m finally Teem Peeta. I agree with you that Gale had his whole life to make a move so his interest in Katniss is clearly due to jealousy and nothing else, whereas Peeta loved her his whole life. Also Liam whatsnisname did throw me…that accent gets me everytime.

Clearly I’m not a loser AT ALL.
Kace recently posted..Five Things Friday–Things You Don’t Need to Know.My Profile

46 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 23, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Um… on a totally un-related Hunger Games note:

OMG PRESTON AND STEVE!!! I used to listen to them on my way to high school every morning! ah, the good ol days. I think they were Y100… but then maybe changed stations? possibly?

gosh, you just gave me a blast from the past.

47 Kelly March 23, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I couldn’t agree with you more when it comes to My Sister’s Keeper. I was so frustrated with the ending. I am seeing Hunger Games tomorrow and I cannot wait!

48 Chelsea March 23, 2012 at 11:30 pm

Ugh totttalllly agree about My Sister’s Keepers ending being dissapointing :( Last Song as well if you read that book.
Chelsea recently posted..Why yes I did have pizza today and it was AMAAAZING…My Profile

49 Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) March 24, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I’m goinggggggggggg tomorrow. For our first baby-free date night. And let’s be real, is there any better excuse to get a sitter than to see the hungry games? I think not. I started the book wanting to be team Gale… he just sounds so… raw. And manly. But eventually Peeta won me over for the same reasons you described. I’m so freaking excited.
Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) recently posted..Products to ConsiderMy Profile

50 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

agreed! at the end of the first book, I was not sold on Peeta and thought I was going to end up Team Gale (well, before I even knew there would eventually be teams). I wisened up, though. ;)

51 Andy March 25, 2012 at 4:29 pm

This is an awesome post! I’ll be pinning it!
Andy recently posted..And Sew We Craft GiveawayMy Profile

52 Heather @ Run Eat Play March 25, 2012 at 6:22 pm

And lets not forget – gale gets prim killed. As in dead. I find this necessary to bring up to every Team Gale fan.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Couscous Stuffed PeppersMy Profile

53 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 26, 2012 at 8:25 am

um, exactly. I couldn’t write that, though, since I know a lot of people haven’t read the third book. :)

54 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry March 25, 2012 at 10:49 pm

Ok THANK YOU for saying that about My Sister’s Keeper. I was soo pissed about the ending of the movie. So pissed. WHY did they have to ruin it?! Why do they have to change things?! So annoying!
I can’t WAIT to see the Hunger Games. I am so ridiculously excited. Gotta get on that this week, I love that it has been getting such great reviews and I LOVE EVEN MORE that people say it is close to the book story-wise. Yes yes and thrice YES!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Birthday SaxMy Profile

55 Mel March 26, 2012 at 1:21 pm

I think I’m the only person on Team Finnick!!!

As a male character, I found him so intriguing (and I can’t wait to see who they cast in the movie)! Obviously, he isn’t a great love interest for Katniss but maybe for myself… haha
Mel recently posted..MelKrak: SO HAPPY I SAW HUNGER GAMES!!!!My Profile

56 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 27, 2012 at 9:48 pm

I THOUGHT ABOUT THIS TOO. I think they should cast Zac Efron as Finnick… if he can leave the Disney corn behind. couldn’t you see it?!

57 Ricole Runs March 27, 2012 at 9:12 pm

I also LOVED The Hunger Games. So freaking good. So much panic / anxiety / fear the whole entire time! I hated when Peeta’s hair was all gelled up though! And it was weird how Gale had the tiniest role ever, he said like 5 lines the whole time! I wish they had developed Katniss / Peeta a little more – like you didn’t even get how unsure you were whether Peeta was good or bad at the beginning!
Ricole Runs recently posted..Seattle RnR Marathon Training Week #1My Profile

58 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss March 27, 2012 at 9:47 pm

ah, I agree, but if you remember, Gale didn’t have much spotlight in the first book! and I agree, the part I missed the most from the movie was the thoughts/feelings you got in the book. I think that’s really hard to portray in a movie without getting tacky/corny, unfort. the books will always be better. :)

59 Julie @ There and Back Again March 29, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Okay, I read this post when you wrote it but before I saw the movie (I’m way too impatient to wait!), and I couldn’t stop laughing at Peeta’s dopey goonface stare when I finally did get to see it! Luckily he regained the powers of speech later in the movie and I agree, he rocked – just had to come back to this post and tell you how much that cracked me up :)
Julie @ There and Back Again recently posted..How To Travel AloneMy Profile