Guess the Song with Karmin & Hot 100.5

March 8, 2012 · 21 comments

Have you guys heard of Karmin, one of the newest additions to the music world?

You may recognize them as a viral Youtube sensation for Amy’s crazy rap skills…

Seriously, when I first saw this, I was absolutely mesmerized. I’d kill to have those rap skillz.

Anyway, I can’t find the interview clip, but the amazing rapping chickadee was talking about how she was just rapping for fun in the shower and realized she could pull it off. She and Nick met at Berklee and have been writing music together ever since.

Their new single, Brokenhearted, came on the radio a few weeks ago. Without realizing who they were, I Shazamed and downloaded the song.

It’s been one of my new favorite running playlist additions ever since.

Recently, Karmin visited Hot 100.5, the local radio station where I won my Chris Brown tickets.

They played a fun game of Guess The Song. Karmin played several covers while the radio hosts tried to guess song titles in teams. See how many you can guess faster than they do.

They’re not bad; I was able to guess 5 songs before either team.

I must add that Bobby (on the far right of this video) is a mutual friend of mine and was present at the Bachelorette Jarty.

Oh, to have friends in high places (that’s right, Bobby… time to hook me up now).

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries March 8, 2012 at 11:13 am

I’ve been watching her videos for a while now! I’m glad she’s finally getting recognized! PS – When I rap in the shower I sound good, too.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted…Fitness: It Doesn’t Look the Same to EveryoneMy Profile

2 Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo March 8, 2012 at 11:41 am

Haha, that was so cool! She’s crazy good at rapping!
Claire @ Un Bello Aperitivo recently posted…Olympic FeverMy Profile

3 Mary Babicki March 8, 2012 at 11:58 am

Karmin was at G105 FM here in Raleigh last week, they must be making the rounds. I agree, they are great! I also love the song ‘crash your party’ because they sampled ‘the choice is yours’ by Black Sheep and I love 90’s hip hop. Check it out!

4 Heather March 8, 2012 at 12:01 pm

that was a fun mid-day break. thank you πŸ™‚

[and her voice? KILLER.]
Heather recently posted…New [to me] Shining Stars of MediaMy Profile

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat March 8, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Love the first video – can’t get the second to play. I think her facial expressions make it!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted…Sweet Potato Socca with Goat Cheese and Spicy Black Bean SpreadMy Profile

6 nina March 8, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Her “crash your party” is constantly playing on my spotify!

7 Aska March 8, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Oh my gosh, Elizabethany (EB) used to be the radio DJ here in College Station, TX! That’s crazy she’s on your radio station now!

8 Sarah March 8, 2012 at 12:43 pm

HAH! Pretty sure I do not sound that good in the shower..
Sarah recently posted…Project DocumentationMy Profile

9 Amber K March 8, 2012 at 2:43 pm

Nick and Amy are AWESOME! People weren’t big fans of theirs when they were on SNL, but I’ve been watching them and loving them on YouTube for what feels like forever now. And holy hell can that girl rap!
Amber K recently posted…WLW : Eat What You WantMy Profile

10 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry March 8, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Oh my gosh I love Karmin!!! and I love that they are married!
I saw them on Ellen a while ago and was in LOVE instantly. I was also totally mesmerized and watched like every interview I could find of them afterwards. Her facial expressions are amazing!
I haven’t heard this Brokenhearted song, so thanks for posting! Listening immediately.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted…Just BusynessMy Profile

11 Amanda March 8, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I’m trippin’ over her rap skills. She is unfreakinbelievable! Seriously, I wanna be her when I grow up! (says the 25 year old white girl with NO skill)

12 Yellow Haired Girl March 8, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I wasn’t the biggest fan of them after their SNL performance (what is with the quality of music performances on that show lately?!) but I do agree. Her rapping is outta control!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted…An Important RealizationMy Profile

13 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness March 8, 2012 at 3:42 pm

I always love a new jam. Thanks! I am seriously behind in my music life because in NYC there is hardly ever a time that you are listening to a radio. Dear Subway President, I’d really appreciate it if you enthused us with some hip-hop in the a.m. Just sayin! You think it will happen? πŸ™‚
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted…My New Obsession: Bring on the FigsMy Profile

14 Annie (What's Annie Making?) March 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm

She is soooooo amazing! I saw her on SNL a few weeks back and was in awe. Thanks for sharing these.
Annie (What’s Annie Making?) recently posted…I’d rather be baking cupcakes…My Profile

15 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life March 8, 2012 at 11:24 pm

Why have I not heard about this girl until now? She had maddd skills! I’m kind of jealous. I think I’m a really good rapper when I’m driving along in my car. I just make sure not to roll the windows down, it might scare children.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted…Tai ThaiMy Profile

16 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts March 9, 2012 at 10:17 am

Amy is awesome, my hubby showed that to be a few months ago, INSANE!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted…Pinterest ChallengeMy Profile

17 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More March 9, 2012 at 10:44 pm

Wow, she is amazing! I like watching her face as she sings & raps. Very animated.

18 kristen@ livinlifeinlouie March 10, 2012 at 10:22 pm

that song is CRAZY! I could barely keep up w/ what she was saying haha.