I Wish I Was Kidding

February 24, 2012 · 45 comments

I wish I was kidding when I tell you I have a new arsenal of bandages on me.

Seriously? I look like one of those not-so-athletic girls who like to hang out in the nurses office and wrap stuff to get attention and make everyone ask what’s wrong.

My left hand is scraped up, my left hand fingers are cut, and my knee has some sweet additional scabs to add to the existing scars. My knees are going for the rugged look. I hear that’s hot nowadays.

Know what’s great? I ate it on the sidewalk in the exact same place I tripped before. I truly am a vision of grace and beauty.

I usually have no problem laughing at myself, but I think my new gashes were the straw that broke the camel’s back. The waterworks came for a while after I completed the bloody 1.5 mile walk home. I’m just a little sick of being hurt, annoyed this happened on my second day back running after surgery, aaaand I feel a little stupid about my lack of ability to stay on my feet.

Maybe I need to write my local government a letter about the uneven sidewalks in Virginia Beach. When my hand heals.

Let’s forget about how pathetic I’m feeling and watch the best sketch from SNL this past weekend. As you probably guessed, I was pretty psyched to see my gym buddy JT join host Maya Rudolph this week. And yeah, that’s right. I won’t stop mentioning that. I still think it’s awesome I got to work out with Justin.

Suddenly, I’m feeling a little better. I simply cannot look at Kristen Wiig as T Swift and not laugh.

Here’s to another hopeful good SNL tomorrow night… and a better musical guest (what was that mess last week?!)

Happy weekend!

1 Kelsey @readysetfeast February 24, 2012 at 5:12 pm

So sorry you fell! that’s awesome! if it makes you feel any better I fall all the time, and typically pass out after from the shock. we should hang out and fall together.
Kelsey @readysetfeast recently posted..Friday FindsMy Profile

2 Heather @ Run Eat Play February 24, 2012 at 5:14 pm

Jeesh that sucks! Hope you get better! I know what it’s like to fall. I have the ability to fall up the stairs and trip on even surfaces. It’s a gift.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..I Want to Sleep All DayMy Profile

3 Easa February 24, 2012 at 5:31 pm

Sorry :( I’ve got one that is even more dumb. Big gouge out of my finger from helping out with the covers to the steeplechase pit last Saturday. I tripped, fell forward, and tore my hands up trying to break my fall. The other guy stood there, laughing, holding all of my weight + the cover. I wasn’t even running. Life is dangerous, we should all just stay home on the couch!
Easa recently posted..ShaneMy Profile

4 Heather February 24, 2012 at 5:36 pm

i agree that KWigg as TSwift = amazing.
however.
Vanessa Bayer as Miley Cyrus > Kwigg as TSwift

[though, finding out that you like SNL = made my day. i knew i loved you for a million and seven reasons, and not just a million and six!]
Heather recently posted..A Late Night LookMy Profile

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm

ahaaha. I adore you back.

6 Caroline February 24, 2012 at 5:38 pm

Ugh sidewalk falls are the worst! Hope you heal quickly!
Caroline recently posted..Go Texan Day and Fried FoodMy Profile

7 Celia February 24, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Ugh I hate falling while running! I feel it happens to me all to often… :/ Feel better! :) (I actually mistyped Fell better first and was like omg that is sooo wrong! haa!)
Celia recently posted..nutrition on the runMy Profile

8 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat February 24, 2012 at 5:53 pm

I think you should sue whoever’s responsible for the sidewalk and become a billionaire. Obviously.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Protein Packed Chocolate WafflesMy Profile

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm

sounds like a good idea to meee…

10 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts February 24, 2012 at 6:05 pm

aww Alyssa :( pick a new running route :( or petition to get the sidewalks fixed!

Hope you get better soon!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Grilling out!My Profile

11 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident February 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Ughh what a bummer! heal up soon. At least with these scraps you can still be active.
Mattie @ Comfy and Confident recently posted..Red Hook Saturnaleai, RiRa and moreMy Profile

12 Jamie@cupcakedynamite February 24, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I can’t believe you fell again :( LOL. I’m ready to say good riddance to this week and go wild tomorrow!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEEEEEE eyelashes and let’s wear a lot of sparkles.

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 24, 2012 at 8:02 pm

done and DONE

14 natalie February 24, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Omg girl. You need a bubble. <3

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm

you said it best.

16 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots February 24, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Aw sorry to hear you fell!! After all you have been through I would have cried too! I hope you have a bottle of wine waiting for you when you get home tonight, and that your wounds heal quickly!

17 Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs February 24, 2012 at 6:21 pm

Boo for falling!! I am too one of those people who is constatly falling, and when I do, I really get hurt!!

I am going to wadge war on my city about the sidewalks too, or just start selling them my medical bills for each fall, which is pretty much all the time. My favorite was the time I biffed it in front of an ER haha.
Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs recently posted..WorrierMy Profile

18 Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs February 24, 2012 at 6:22 pm

sending, not selling. but if they will buy them….
Elizabeth @ reads recipes runs recently posted..WorrierMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm

hahah. I was gonna say.

20 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! February 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

Ah man!! Hope you are feeling better soon!
This video seriously is the best thing HA!
He does Jay-Zs voice so good too haha
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Hair Cut, Kale, & Willow SmithMy Profile

21 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 24, 2012 at 7:56 pm

doesn’t he?! “YEUP.”

22 Amber K February 24, 2012 at 7:12 pm

So sorry you fell! Heal up and get back out there girl!

And the musical guest last week was Karmin wasn’t it? LOVE them! They started out on YouTube and I’m finally hearing them on the radio. I’m bummed they didn’t do their first single on there though, Crash Your Party is awesome!
Amber K recently posted..Deep Dish Burrito BowlsMy Profile

23 Michelle @ Blogitness February 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Aww. I hope you feel better! I feel your pain though…I am unbelievably accident prone.
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Weirdest Burger ToppingsMy Profile

24 Theresa February 24, 2012 at 7:37 pm

if it makes you feel better, I eat sidewalk at least once a year, never fails. The worst time was last year, I fell right in front of a semi-cute guy walking down the street..he was like, “ARE YOU OK?” and I was laughing, yeah yeah, i’m fine, dont mind the bloody hands and all…
Theresa recently posted..Sushi and Doggie BathsMy Profile

25 Theresa February 24, 2012 at 7:39 pm

**during running i should add ;) nothing makes you feel more bad to the bone then eating sidewalk during a run.
Theresa recently posted..Sushi and Doggie BathsMy Profile

26 Katy @ Katy Tackles Life February 24, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Aw, I’m sorry you hurt yourself again! I’m kind of a huge klutz, and every time I run I pretty much spend the entire time preparing myself to roll my ankle, lol.

27 Calee February 24, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Major sad face. :( I seem to always fall and scrape my knees in the same spot. I have scars. :(

Last time I fell really bad was on Thanksgiving day. I knew I had only an hour to run, and it was the beginning of the run. I kept going, and when I got home, I was so bloody and gross. But I was fine.

I pass out from blood and grossness, so I have to pretty much ignore it if I fall (unless I obviously injure myself more than just scrapes). I’ve come home super gross and bloody from a few nasty scrapes.
Calee recently posted..shirtless.My Profile

28 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey February 24, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Poor girl! I fall all the time – I’m the clumsiest thing IN THE WORLD!!! At least you were back out there and trying to do your thang!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts fridayMy Profile

29 Sarah February 25, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Oh no!!! Talk about terrible timing! Fingers crossed you get better soon and can have safe/fun/amazing runs from here on out!
Sarah recently posted..Another Week..My Profile

30 Lyndsay February 25, 2012 at 2:23 pm

Haha thank you so much for posting that video, I hadn’t seen it and it just made my morning!

31 Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third February 25, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Oh man. You can’t catch a break! Kristin Wiig totally makes all ailments go away though. Hil.a.rious.
Alyssa @ Fit and Fun in Third recently posted..Square One.My Profile

32 Ellie@Fit for the Soul February 25, 2012 at 5:25 pm

ahhh hang in there girl!! You’re such a toughie and I know you’ll get through all these things. And thanks for sharing that clip! It was actually really funny…..hahahaha Angelina taking the baby was so hilarious, and Taylor’s expression was priceless! xD But to be honest I’m not very familiar with Taylor in general, does she always make that face or somethin’?
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Hibiscus Tea Butter Cookies and What I Didn’t Tell YouMy Profile

33 Ashley Hoyt February 25, 2012 at 5:35 pm

If it makes you feel any better, I always run on the treadmill with one hand holding on like a freak because it is impossible for me to complete a run without tripping 9 times. #toocoolforschool

34 julie February 26, 2012 at 2:35 pm

hey lady! i think you need a pretty sweet glass of wine and a cuddle fest to cheer you up! hope you had a fantabulous weekend and a nice break from your battle wounds. btw i hear dudes dig chicks with scars…
julie recently posted..chef’s diet review, meals right to your door!My Profile

35 Rach February 26, 2012 at 9:23 pm

Oh girl, I am so sorry about the injuries. That really stinks. :( Heal quickly!
Rach recently posted..An Artsy Date NightMy Profile

36 Lena @Fit on the Rocks February 27, 2012 at 1:16 am

Ahahaha the Nikki Minaj part cracked me up the most….not as funny as the Jenna Marbles one, but it was good. I hope your hands heals up soon. I’m notorious for inflicting injuries on myself, so don’t feel bad about it.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Long Run Sundays: Training PlansMy Profile

37 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 27, 2012 at 3:23 pm

Oh no! Sorry to hear about the fall. At least you were actually doing something active. Bandages without reason are just embarrassing.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Wedding WeekendMy Profile

38 Emily February 27, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Hi Alyssa! I stumbled across your blog and read your recent posts about your melanoma! I am so sorry to hear that, but thank you for opening up about it because it isn’t something that should be taken lightly.

I grew up going to the lake every summer, always having a pool in the backyard, visiting my brother in Florida and laying on the beach for hours on end, and of course in the tanning salon! I wouldn’t call myself a religious tanner… but I go 3-4 times a week for about 12-15 minutes each session. I’d say I’ve been going tanning off and on since I was 14, one of my best friend’s Mom owns a salon so it was the perfect set up! First, it was for my 8th grade graduation… then it was for homecoming and prom… then it was for weddings I was in. There’s always an excuse. I will be in Florida March 14-19th for a wedding that I’m NOT in, but still want to be tan for?? Makes sense, right? Ha!

Anyway – I just scheduled a skin check with my dermatologist. I can’t get in until April, but I made the appoitment, so the hardest part is over. Ever since I read your posts, I’ve been worrying about it and finally came to the conclusion that it isn’t worth it. I will now be turning to Jergen’s Natural Glow and maybe some other sort of self tanner (if you know of a type that is good for blonde hair/ blue eyes, your recommendations would be appreciated!).

Thanks again for sharing your eye- opening experience!

Emily
Illinois

39 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 28, 2012 at 3:22 pm

WOWZA, 3-4 times a week!! that’s cray. and I’m soo glad you’re switching to sunless tanner. I still stand by the Jergens!

good luck, Emily!

40 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness February 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm

Oh lady! I am sorry you had a rough time there. In time you will look back and laugh at this moment. You will heal quickly I am sure! (And, I have been known to trip in the same place on several occasions so you are not alone!)
Talia @ Bite Size Wellness recently posted..Sugaring: Groom your Body in the Sweetest WayMy Profile

41 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 28, 2012 at 12:54 am

:( We’ve all been there, Alyssa. You’re not the only one who trips over her feet! Hope you feel better soon!!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Our First Weekend in Atlanta!My Profile

42 Amanda February 28, 2012 at 5:59 pm

So sorry to see you are injured again :( I will write a letter with you! A few years ago I bit it on the sidewalks while running through Virginia Beach and also had to do a bloody walk of shame back to my campgrounds. I still have the scars today from that fiasco!

If it makes you feel any better, the one scar was really large on my leg. A jacked personal trainer at my gym saw it once and compared it to a similar scar he had on his arm. After explaining that he got his in a motorcycle accident, he asked how I got mine. After relaying that it was through a far less cool means, he nearly busted his gut from laughing so hard.

Get better soon!
Amanda recently posted..Week 2 in ReviewMy Profile

43 Shay @ Whine Less, Breathe More February 29, 2012 at 5:09 am

Falling sucks! Hope you feel better soon.

That SNL skit had me cracking up! I especially like the Nicki Minaj character. So funny!

And I’m officially jealous of our workout with JT. He is so yummy!