About That Nutrition Plan…

February 15, 2012 · 31 comments

To be completely honest, my recovery week from surgery did not consist of my typical nutrition plan healthy eating.

And I really don’t regret it.

One, it was very difficult to stick to the plan while on pain medication. I had to have a very full stomach to keep from getting sick, and I was told my mini meals throughout the day weren’t enough to provide a substantial base for the meds.

Two, you know how when you’re sick/recovering all you want is comfort food? Yeah, that was me.

There was Chinese one night. Glorious Italian food another. And some Japanese and some Mexican.

Apparently, I just decided to be a world traveler while on my pain pills.

And other than some walks with my nursey mama and Chloe, exercise had to be very limited, since I had to keep my bandages dry.

There’s been lots of snuggle time.

UNTIL YESTERDAY, when I had my first post-surgery run with Jamie.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy. That’s a big “I’m a couch potato no more” smile. I think this past week is the longest I’ve gone without doing any form of exercise in years. It felt right to get back in the game.

And then I gave her a glass of wine and my Bender Ball so she would help me change my bandages.

That’s love, people.

So, back to nutrition plan talk. I’m back on the wagon of clean eating this week, but I’m not going to step on the scale for a little bit. I find I feel so much better when I go by how my clothes fit rather than a number on the scale, and my clothes don’t fit any tighter this week than they did pre-surgery. So, since I’m not disappointed with where I am right now, I’m gonna roll with it. :)

1 theAlmostRunner February 15, 2012 at 3:27 pm

sounds like a good plan to me. did you end up wearing a bra or… hahahaha people are gonna think i’m such a CREEP
theAlmostRunner recently posted..How the Weekend Was WonMy Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 15, 2012 at 9:03 pm

hahaha. sadly, no. still not allowed! I just hit up a too-tight tank.

3 Lauren February 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Um yeah, you should not feel any sort of remorse whatsoever for laying off the healthy eating plan during your recovery!!! I mean, you have a great excuse…some of us eat chocolate every day like it’s our job and ummm no valid reason for it haha.

4 Lisa February 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Congrats on getting back into the fitness game so quickly after your surgery! And I would say don’t feel bad whatsoever about indulging in comfort food while you were recovering – that’s what it’s for: to comfort!

I hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly, and I’m sending positive vibes your way.

5 katie @KatieDid February 15, 2012 at 3:54 pm

glad to hear your back and running, a week off can be tough mentally but I’m sure you’ll have some good motivation to get back into things this week.
katie @KatieDid recently posted..Food with Integrity: ChipotleMy Profile

6 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries February 15, 2012 at 3:55 pm

You mean you didn’t stick to your nutrition plan after you had SURGERY?! Slacker ;)

I’m so happy you got to go on your first run yesterday! I bet those legs of yours were just itching to get movin’! xox
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Is It Just Me? Pt. 2My Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 15, 2012 at 9:05 pm

they sure were. I told my mom I thought I had Restless Leg Syndrome last week. she rolled her eyes at me.

8 Tina @ Best Body Fitness February 15, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Comfort food was called for…and I would without a doubt have done the same. ;)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Get Control Of CravingsMy Profile

9 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables February 15, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Good for you. I would probably need something like surgery to keep me off exercise for a week as well, even though you know sometimes it’s the best thing for you. And totally agree about the scale vs. how clothes fit. The scale and I are very often not on speaking terms :)
Emilie @ Emilie’s Enjoyables recently posted..Annual New York City TripMy Profile

10 Maja February 15, 2012 at 4:12 pm

during my exam weeks, I didn’t do anything besides eating chocolate and studying…
So, one week isn’t a big deal at all. For me, it was really hard to get back into the groove though. But running in Siberian temps is no joke…
Maja recently posted..red velvet beet soup.My Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 15, 2012 at 9:06 pm

YIPES! I’m so lucky to live in VA with these easy temperatures.

12 Maja February 15, 2012 at 10:15 pm

Yesss you are
Really jealous right now…I want sun and beach :)
Maja recently posted..meier.My Profile

13 katie February 15, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Hey, life is all about different plans than what we originally had, life throws curve balls! I am glad you are though getting back on track to where you want to be this week! Yay for your first run since surgery too ! <3
katie recently posted..What I realize WednesdayMy Profile

14 Amy February 15, 2012 at 4:29 pm

What’s a bender ball?

I think having surgery is a great reason for getting off the nutrition plan for the week. Glad your first run post surgery went well! Hope the rest of your recovery goes smoothly!
Amy recently posted..It’s the little thingsMy Profile

15 Whitney February 15, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Just wanted to let you know that your story gave me that extra boost to go have my skin checked at the dermatologist. It had been a couple years since my last one. Everything checked out fine and I feel so much better that I went! Thanks for the reminder and I’m so glad you are healing and getting to exercise again :)

16 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life February 15, 2012 at 5:13 pm

Ummmm, yeah. Sometimes life calls for foods that aren’t a part of the plan. I’d say that yours were well-justified.
And mannn do they sound delicious :)
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted..WIAW–Eating All Day LongMy Profile

17 Sarah February 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

I’m the same way with the scale – don’t use it! I would much rather go by how I feel in my clothes :) Glad your feeling better and starting to run again!
Sarah recently posted..WIWL2EWMy Profile

18 Chelsea February 15, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I probably would’ve done the exact same thing love <3 As long as you're healing up that's what matters.

19 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts February 15, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Roll with it sista :)

btws food looks amazing:)

20 Amber K February 15, 2012 at 6:49 pm

Good for you for taking the time to rest after your surgery. It is so good to relax when your body truly calls for it. :)
Amber K recently posted..Fruity Soft ServeMy Profile

21 Kelsey @readysetfeast February 15, 2012 at 8:14 pm

yay! congrats on your first post surgery run! i belt it felt awesome! I bet the wine felt better though…
Kelsey @readysetfeast recently posted..A Little MotivationMy Profile

22 Katie February 15, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Three cheers for comfort food! I think it does more good for the soul than people realize. :-) And good for you for getting out and running! <3
Katie recently posted..Chicken Caprese SkewersMy Profile

23 Leandra @Girl Loves Pearls February 15, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Comfort food ftw.

Home sick, ate a box of mac & cheese. Oopsss
Leandra @Girl Loves Pearls recently posted..Happy Valentine’s Day!My Profile

24 Alexa @ Simple Eats February 15, 2012 at 10:16 pm

I think comfort food is exactly what you needed! You look pretty fantastic for being under the weather for the past couple weeks!

25 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 15, 2012 at 10:50 pm

Life is never going to be perfect, and neither is an eating plan. It’s all about balance! Hope you’re continuing to heal and that you feel 100% again soon!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..My love-affair with cilantro.My Profile

26 Josie @ happycorredora.com February 16, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I think you are more than allowed to deviate from the plan after surgery!! Plus sounds like you did so in international style too :)

Thats a great attitude about the scale. I am pretty much the same- I go by feel rather than a number.
Josie @ happycorredora.com recently posted..Losing a little nutritional focus…My Profile

27 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers February 16, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Good luck getting back into it. When I feel crappy, all I want is mac n’ cheese.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..The Workouts I’m Not DoingMy Profile

28 Heather @ Run Eat Play February 16, 2012 at 2:06 pm

Glad that you were able to run! Hope your feeling a lot better from the surgery!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Muddy Buddy 2012My Profile

29 Karla @myhighonlife February 16, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Girl you deserve all the comfort food you want in the world! And it’s a DOUBLE WIN that your clothes dont feel too snug. Next week I’m getting on track with healthy eating… any good tips?
Karla @myhighonlife recently posted..A Weekend to Go Down into the BooksMy Profile

30 Shannon February 16, 2012 at 9:56 pm

Alyssa, traveling around the world while injured is seriously hard work. I think you deserve an award. :)
Glad you’re feeling better!
Shannon recently posted..Hello, Hello and Cancer in the NewsMy Profile

31 Rach February 17, 2012 at 2:31 am

Good call with the scale. It’s easy to get obsessive about a number. But looking and feeling good in those clothes – that makes way more sense! Glad your first run back at it was good!
Rach recently posted..Valentine’s Day Fun (and Strawberry Cupcake recipe!)My Profile