The Recipe for a Perfect Birthday

January 6, 2012 · 53 comments

There’s an exciting reason I have some special company on the way to my house right now.

Or my face. Whatever, you get it.

Someone was psyched to spend an hour primping last night.

You see, there’s this girl who was my other half throughout college.

And there’s this girl who was my other half throughout our childhood.

Who were each present for different celebrations of the 21st birthday.

You mix these two, add a big dollop of all my Virginia Beach loved ones, and you’ve got a rockin’ crowd. Which makes for a happy birthday girl.

So, since 24 is sounding kinda old to me (stop snarking… 24 kinda IS the first year one “sounds” old.. just go with it), let’s call this the three year anniversary of my 21st birthday.

We’ll have one of these:

And we’ll do some of this:

And I’m pretty goshdarn excited.

As I make a sweet playlist, line up my Pinnacle, finalize the clipboard of activities, and put on my party pants dress, you tell me: For you, what makes for a perfect birthday celebration?

For me, a perfect birthday = as many of my loved ones I can round up. Having a grand ol’ time (and your voting for me here). 🙂

Hopefully, that’s just what we’ll be doing.

1 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident January 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

sounds like you are going to have a great time! I love meeting up with old friends, they always seems to be the best nights everrrrr!

2 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 6, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Oh man, wait until next year when you hit 25. I had to hear quarter of a century jokes ALLL month long. Gotta love the friends. The perfect birthday for me was this year: surrounded by friends, amazing food, and even better drinks. Have a great birthday weekend and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted…Year of Fitness and FinancesMy Profile

3 kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 6, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Happy birthday!! Um I will be 24 this month too and I.FEEL.SO.OLD!!! I’m going to pretend I’m turning 21 again ha!
kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted…Costa Rica recap 5My Profile

4 Kailey (SnackFace) January 6, 2012 at 3:42 pm

All I can say: WHY AM I NOT THERE?????? And happy EARLY birthday!!!! I feel old at 24 too. Or that it’s an “old” number. Even though I know better. LOVE YOU!
Kailey (SnackFace) recently posted…Hot to NotMy Profile

5 Bess @ Bess Be Fit January 6, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I turn 24 on the 18th! So I feel ya on it sounding “old”!! Hope you have a blast! I’m having my b-day celebrations next weekend in NYC since my actual birthday is on a Wednesday! Happy Birthday to ya!
Bess @ Bess Be Fit recently posted…FITspiration FridayMy Profile

6 Caitlin January 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

HAVE FUN! I don’t have to tell you to live it up because I know you will. I agree with you on 24 being the first age where you sound older. Not saying old, just older! I’ll be 23 in a couple of months and I don’t think that will be too different but I’ll feel weird when I turn 24.
You and your childhood bestie could practically be twins! You’ve prob heard that before.
Caitlin recently posted…Rest Days, Christmas Day, and Too-Jay’sMy Profile

7 Caitlin January 6, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Oh and I just voted for you! 🙂
Caitlin recently posted…Rest Days, Christmas Day, and Too-Jay’sMy Profile

8 Carolyn @HealthKitten.com January 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm

As the first “old fart” to post a reply, your birthday celebration looks like it will be awesome! Good friends, good times, cocktails and dancing? What else do you need? 🙂

Age is just a number – it doesn’t define you. Take it from someone staring down a birthday that’s making me think “I’m not that old! Am I? Oh gawd…”

Happy (early) Birthday!
Carolyn @HealthKitten.com recently posted…Writer’s BlockMy Profile

9 Jamie@cupcakedynamite January 6, 2012 at 3:55 pm

YAYYYYYYY I can’t wait!!!! Excited to see your dana& mags too! Tell me what I should make danny wear!!
Jamie@cupcakedynamite recently posted…remember whenMy Profile

10 Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life January 6, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I’m so excited to see someone else who gets as excited about birthdays as I do. But girl, you should have been celebrating birthday WEEK this past week! Orrrr you could celebrate it next week.
Either way, have a BLAST, party your face off, and have a Pinnacle drink for me!
Will there be birhday cake involved…? 😉
Courtney @ Sweet Tooth, Sweet Life recently posted…Peanut Buttery DelightMy Profile

11 Kim January 6, 2012 at 4:19 pm

Happy Birthday! Have SO much fun!!
Kim recently posted…Peace Out, 2011My Profile

12 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy January 6, 2012 at 4:31 pm

Have an awesome birthday, girl! 24 was a great year, not quite into the realm of 2-day hangovers and old enough to know which drinks to avoid altogether.
Be safe and have fun!
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted…A Few Things That Are AwesomeMy Profile

13 Kelsey @readysetfeast January 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Happy day of birth!

For me the perfect birthday is someone taking me to dinner and going to bed early. It’s hard being such a party animal.
Kelsey @readysetfeast recently posted…The Cookbook HoarderMy Profile

14 julie January 6, 2012 at 5:03 pm

go shaaaaaaawty it’s yo birfday.
julie recently posted…let’s talk about…online dating!My Profile

15 Brittany (healthy slice of life) January 6, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Does the fact that I’m a 28 year old married lady with a kid but loves reading your blog and wants to party with you bother you? 🙂 say no.
Brittany (healthy slice of life) recently posted…What I’m Loving & What I’m NotMy Profile

16 Kelly @ running Kellometers January 6, 2012 at 5:34 pm

Is today your birthday? Today is my birthday too! Yaaayyyy!!! Happy Birthday!!
Kelly @ running Kellometers recently posted…Birthday Present and More Pictures of my DogMy Profile

17 Hollie@lolzthatswim January 6, 2012 at 5:50 pm

That sounds like so much fun. My perfect birthday and just chilling with friends and a few drinks. Sounds optimal to me. 😉
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted…New Years 5k Race Recap (20:31)My Profile

18 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 6, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Sounds like good times 🙂 … wait till you are 26.. old fart over here 🙁 sad
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted…The best thing I ever made!My Profile

19 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 6, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Y’all are gonna’ have a blast. I’m sure we’ll get pics on Monday. 🙂
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted…Lightening Your WeekendMy Profile

20 Shannon January 6, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Happy birthday weekend!!! Welcome to your mid-twenties 🙂
Shannon recently posted…Bomb A$$ SalmonMy Profile

21 Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey January 6, 2012 at 7:10 pm

Dang girl! that sounds like a rockin’ birthday weekend! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!
Kelsey @ The Secret Life of Kelsey recently posted…Savory Baked Oatmeal with Pears, Cream Cheese & Jam!My Profile

22 Hayley @ Oat Couture January 6, 2012 at 7:13 pm

Happy birthday!!! Have an amazing one! 🙂 I’m 25 but lets just call it 20 with 5 years experience… 😉
Hayley @ Oat Couture recently posted…Healthy IntentionsMy Profile

23 Amber K January 6, 2012 at 7:21 pm

Sounds like a blast! Have a great time 🙂 I still have to stop for a second and remember that I’m not still 24. In fact, in just a few short months I’ll be 29. It doesn’t feel like that’s true at all! I wish I had lived it up more when I was young. lol
Amber K recently posted…“Gluten-free” It Wasn’tMy Profile

24 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 6, 2012 at 7:44 pm

You’re going to have a great time!!! Have soo much fun 😀

25 Heather @ girlyeverafter January 6, 2012 at 8:00 pm

How fun! I love getting together with my girlfriends from school and childhood! Have a great 3 year anniversary;)
Heather @ girlyeverafter recently posted…New Page for Self MotivationMy Profile

26 Meg January 6, 2012 at 9:13 pm

WOOOO I love birthdays!!! Birthdays are made by my friends… thats all I need to have a great
birthday! Yours looks like its gonna be a blast!!!!
Meg recently posted…The Wonderful World of BloggingMy Profile

27 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 6, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Crap, I’m 29. That sucks. I pretend like I’m 25 though, so it’s all good. Have an awesome third 21st birthday!!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted…I TriedMy Profile

28 Kim January 6, 2012 at 10:23 pm

PS. VOTED!
Kim recently posted…Betrayed, AgainMy Profile

29 Gina B. January 6, 2012 at 11:02 pm

Celebrating my birthday this weekend too! Hope you have an amazing time!

30 Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe January 7, 2012 at 12:33 am

Happy birthday! Have a killer time! My favorite birthday includes lots of friends, my hunny and plenty of vino!
Janine @ ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted…Today is the day!My Profile

31 Emily January 7, 2012 at 2:21 am

YAY! It’s my birthday weekend too! And it sounds like we’ll be doing a lot of the same things to celebrate. Can’t wait!
Happy Birthday, girl! Enjoy every minute. <3

32 Nicole January 7, 2012 at 3:07 am

Well Happy Birthday! My present to you is voting for you to win the Refuel with Chocolate Milk!!
Nicole recently posted…Fun Fact FridayMy Profile

33 Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife January 7, 2012 at 5:08 am

yay! Birthdays are the best my dear 🙂 LOVE ‘EM! I celebrate my half birthday, my birthday week and birthday month! xoxo
Brittany @ LessBritt MoreLife recently posted…Mardi Gras SeasonMy Profile

34 Sarah January 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Oh my gosh this looks like you are going to have a fantastic time!! Happy Birthday!!
Sarah recently posted…Chicago and BackMy Profile

35 Katy @ Have You Hurd January 7, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Friends, dancing, drinks and good food 🙂

36 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 8, 2012 at 3:04 am

Aww Happy Birthday, Alyssa! But don’t ever say you’re old again … those of us pushing 30 will have to come down to Virginia Beach and slap some sense in to you. 😉
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted…Don’t Make Me Go Back.My Profile

37 Rach January 8, 2012 at 3:30 am

Girl, I hear ya. I turned 24 last summer which means I will be… *GASP* 25 this July. Yeesh! I definitely still feel like I’m 21, though. My husband says I’m in denial, haha! So cheers to the 3rd anniversary of your 21st birthday! 🙂 Hope you guys have the BEST time!
Rach recently posted…Photos from Tony and Abigail’s WeddingMy Profile

38 Michelle @ Blogitness January 8, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Happy Birthday! From the looks of those pictures, I’m sure you’ll have a blast! I’m going to be 27 this year..I seriously can’t believe it; it seems like I just celebrated my 21st birthday!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted…Showing Some Steeler Love!My Profile

39 Carolyn@girlmeetshappy January 8, 2012 at 5:19 pm

Sounds like you are in store for a fun weekend! Happy 24th birthday.
Carolyn@girlmeetshappy recently posted…1/7/2011 Workout JournalMy Profile

40 janae @hungryrunnergirl.com January 9, 2012 at 4:11 am

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! All I have to say is every time I see your pictures they make me want to hang out with you, you are a good time.
janae @hungryrunnergirl.com recently posted…My New Spin Room and Shalane FlanaganMy Profile