The Loofah Got a Birthday Shoutout

January 10, 2012 · 41 comments

A 24th birthday weekend recap is in order.

These pictures make me deliriously happy, so you’re gonna be hit with a lot of them.

Maggie and Dana arrived on Friday just as the weekend activities kicked off.

Since Chloe was at my parents last time Maggie came to visit me, it was her first time meeting the sasspot. As evidenced, they hit it off right away.

And since enthusiasm was at an all-time high as soon as Dana arrived, we decided to hit the oceanfront for some pre-birthday fun.

The SAME night some jerk stranger dropped my point-and-shoot camera and broke it (who wants to throw some cheapy point-and-shoot recommendations my way? Nikon CoolPix, perhaps?).

And after a “Jersey Girl Boardwalk Run” with Jamie and a delicious breakfast at Badass Coffee, we hit the mall for the day before getting ready for birthday fun.

But seriously, how weird is it that three of my closest friends from completely different parts of my life are all from an hour radius of each other in New Jersey?

Just naturally hitting the prom pose.

As we awaited the arrival of the limo, all my good Virginia Beach friends began to trickle into my house.

My pretty Lisa-Marie was there, of course. Do you recognize pictures of this room from her Bachelorette Party this summer?

And, of course, my tinsel twin.

This is like a roll call of Life of bLyss characters.

Do my friend JP and I look like we’re at our wedding, or what?

And look. Once the limo arrived, we tried to get a group shot in front with my broken camera.

Which turned out awesome.

We hit the karaoke bar first… where we impressed barmates with our renditions of Don’t Stop Believin’, Genie in a Bottle, and Just What I Needed. I’m sure you wish you were there to experience, and I know I wish my CAMERA WORKED to capture it for you. Thankfully, Dana and Maggie got some shots of the fun.

Then came my favorite stop. Remember when we went to the bar after our “Halloween Part II” party and were the only ones dressed up? Well, we went to see that same band play. The Deloreans, a fantastic 80’s band.

And as we walked in, I showed them my birthday pin, asked them if they remembered me, and asked them to play Journey “BECAUSE IT’S MY FAVORITE!”

Apparently, when you dress as a loofah, everyone will remember you for the rest of time.

Suddenly, just as I hear the first few bars of Don’t Stop Believin’ (yeah, for the second time that night…), I hear “We’ve got a birthday girl in the house. The last time we saw this girl, she was a loofah. She was wearing nothing. but. loofah.”

She pulled me onstage, I got to dance and sing with them for the entire song. I was a little kindasorta ecstatic about it and afterwards texted Anastasia and my mom that “I was a Deloreans when I turned 24.”

This was taking place as the clock struck midnight, it became January 8th, and I turned 24.

Who else feels like they see my SnackFace friend in that picture above? Thanks for showing up, Kailey.

And that’s how I spent my 24th birthday. The final two bars we hit have no pictures or memories, and therefore, don’t exist in blogworld.

Good thing Jamie graciously captured this to give you all a true visual of the birthday excitement.

Birthday girl needs a bobby pin.

And maybe some varied dance moves.

1 Lauren January 10, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Haha this looks awesome!!! I love your dress and you and your friends all look like models, FYI.

2 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries January 10, 2012 at 7:15 pm

I love everything about your birthday bash! I’m so glad it was wonderful :)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Holy RodeoMy Profile

3 Chelsea January 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

It looks like you had a serious blasttt :)

4 Jamie@cupcakedynamite January 10, 2012 at 7:38 pm

……you seeeeeeeeeeeem kind of nice..
Jamie@cupcakedynamite recently posted..remember whenMy Profile

5 Jenny January 10, 2012 at 7:39 pm

I love that you point one finger when you dance! I always use two fingers and point and stick my tongue out…I think I’m hoping it disguising my awful dancing overall! haha Happy Belated Birthday!

6 kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 10, 2012 at 8:00 pm

Your dress is super cute!!!

7 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 10, 2012 at 8:29 pm

haha, looks like you had an awesome time :)

I hope you have a fantastic year :)
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Listening to my BodyMy Profile

8 Shannon January 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm

That soup facebib thingy would have kept your bangs out of your eyes for sure. Just sayin… :)
Shannon recently posted..Movie Review Monday: Tom Cruise EditionMy Profile

9 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy January 10, 2012 at 8:55 pm

aaaadorable. And I feel you on the bobby pin thing. I am forever fixing my hair when I’m “dancing”.
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Loaded Baked Potato SoupMy Profile

10 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 10, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Hahah love the video and that you got to go up on stage! Don’t you love when it’s your birthday and you can use the “but it’s my bday” excuse? :D

11 Michelle @ Blogitness January 10, 2012 at 10:46 pm

Looks like you had a ton of fun!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Calling All Sports Fans!My Profile

12 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 10, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Looks like an awesome time! I love your dress!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Target Shopping TripMy Profile

13 Erin Kidd January 10, 2012 at 11:19 pm

This made my day, and as usual…I love every outfit! haha
Erin Kidd recently posted..Beyonce Has a Baby!My Profile

14 alyssa - fashion fitness foodie January 11, 2012 at 12:17 am

Haha they know you by loofah girl, i love it.
alyssa – fashion fitness foodie recently posted..Zucchini Tuna BurgersMy Profile

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 11, 2012 at 12:36 am

Haha you are seriously hilarious. Glad you had such a great time!

Oh and P.S. If I had been invited, I would have been able to provide an endless supply of bobby pins. I’m just sayin’. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..The next big thing.My Profile

16 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 11, 2012 at 12:38 am

Happy Belated Birthday!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Chocolate Makes Me Feel BetterMy Profile

17 Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles January 11, 2012 at 12:51 am

What a fab b.day weekend! You deserved it, girl! :)
Courtney @ The Granola Chronicles recently posted..Lemon Ginger WaterMy Profile

18 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 11, 2012 at 2:48 am

I am so in love with your birthday dress! What a fantastic way to celebrate a new year! Glad you had a great time.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Bookworms AnonymousMy Profile

19 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry January 11, 2012 at 2:51 am

Oh man, this looks like such a fun birthday. Love your dress loofah girl! And love that the band remembered that, bahaha. Ohh how I love harassing live bands.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Back to Liiiiiife, Back to RealityMy Profile

20 Stephanie @ afitbliss.com January 11, 2012 at 3:16 am

Happy belated birthday! I recently found your blog and I love it. Cute birthday dress, where is it from??

21 Alexa @ SimpleEats January 11, 2012 at 4:01 am

Looks amazing! I love your dress…so pretty!

22 Kailey (SnackFace) January 11, 2012 at 4:16 am

Ahhhh hahahaaha THAT COULDA BEEN ME!!!!! You would have known it for sure, though. I would have tackled you and bought you shots! xoxo
Kailey (SnackFace) recently posted..1.10.12My Profile

23 Kim January 11, 2012 at 5:04 am

Your pics are HOT!!!! This looks awesome!!! So Fun!!!

I love your dress, I am sooooooooo jealous

Kim recently posted..Big Girls – Keep Yo Man!My Profile

24 Becca January 11, 2012 at 5:32 am

Looks like loads of fun!! Great pics!
Becca recently posted..Ouch!!My Profile

25 Julie January 11, 2012 at 7:18 am

Ahhh I love nights like that…good friends, good drinks and even better dance moves are always a recipe for a great night out! I turn 23 this summer and I’m freaking out, but you make 24 look fun so 23 shouldn’t be too scary ;)

26 cait January 11, 2012 at 12:27 pm

haha this was sooooo great alyssa :) i’m obsessed with your dress like everyone else !! where from girrrl?!
cait recently posted..PinterestMy Profile

27 kaitlynn @ SnackAttack January 11, 2012 at 1:47 pm

Ah man, I was hoping to see Jim White in these pictures!

28 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer January 11, 2012 at 2:19 pm

“Birthday Girl needs a bobby pin”…hilarious!!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Happy to ReportMy Profile

29 Katy @ HaveYouHurd January 11, 2012 at 5:39 pm

Hahaha I’m loving the finger point.
P.S. I requested at my wedding that “Don’t Stop Believin'” be the last song they played – best. choice. ever.
P.S.S. I have a Nikon Coolpix that I like a lot!
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..What I’m Watching Wednesday (WIAW): Honey Boo Boo ChildMy Profile

30 Emily January 11, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Aw, it looks like you had an AMAZING birthday celebration.
That dress is absolutely killer. (:
Emily recently posted..WIAW #12: The Stomach Flu EditionMy Profile

31 Amber K January 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Oh my gosh, that looks like a total blast! What a great birthday. :)
Amber K recently posted..WLW: Exercise the Way YOU WantMy Profile

32 vks January 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Go for a Canon Powershot, even the cheap ones out shoot Nikon’s IMO.

The Deloreans are amazing! They played my friends wedding last year and we’re awesome.

33 Brianna October 22, 2012 at 6:59 pm

Hey! I discovered your blog when searching for Loofah examples for Halloween — I’m going to New Orleans for the weekend for a group of 8 girlfriends and we’re all being different colored loofahs! Was wondering if you had any tips/tricks for creating yours — we got the netting delivered straight to the hotel and are having an arts and crafts night when we arrive on Thursday :)