The Benefits of Supersets & January Ripper Workout

January 13, 2012 · 53 comments

I’m throwing it at you one more time. I promise. Sunday is the last day, so I can’t remind you all for the rest of time.

Please CLICK HERE to vote for me to become the next athlete to join Team Refuel With Chocolate Milk. Type ALYSSA and click VOTE.

And then, if you really want to make me happy, do it tomorrow and Sunday, too. ;)

Man. that picture looked so much less freaky on my phone.

Regardless, every vote counts, and I refuse to act like I wouldn’t jump for joy if I won. I’d be fully willing to post a picture with a sweet chocolate milk mustache directly after receiving the news, too. So if not for any other reason, do it for the anticipation of my making an even bigger fool out of myself on the internet.

Onto Supersets.

I’m a big fan of superset weights workouts. They give me the muscle building/toning session I desire while keeping my heart rate up. If I hit the gym, I wanna sweat. I’m not going to strut around the gym playing with 3 pounders and jumping jacks in between 5-minute rest periods.

Superset workouts are back-to-back exercises completed with no rest in between. Because they keep your heart rate up, they require more endurance than your typical weights session with rests incorporated.

More benefits of superset workouts:

1. Supersets save time. I very rarely have a ton of time on my hands to lollygag. I’d rather pound out my workout and head home. By completing supersets, you’re in and out. Wham, bam, thankyouma’am.
  2. Supersets increase intensity. Well, duh.
  3. Supersets can increase muscle fiber activation if you work the same muscle groups back-to-back. Much like the idea behind the Strive circuit, this means by using the right lifting combinations, you can increase the intensity of work on a specific muscle, which will develop it faster.
  4. Supersets flush out waste products like lactic acid, which gives your muscles more oxygen from a better blood flow.

The workout I completed on Tuesday isn’t a traditional two-muscle group superset workout.  I wanted a total body workout that kept my heart pumping, so I made a “January Ripper” Total Body Superset workout to work several different muscle groups.

Pin It

Complete the first set of three workouts three times before switching to the next set. If you’re feelin’ really frisky, add a 5-minute treadmill sprint in between each set.

EDITED TO ADD: Several of you are asking what “hot and colds” are.

HOT AND COLDS: Stand with your feet together, then jump into a squat in one fluid motion, getting your booty as low to the ground as you can. Repeat, and make sure you’re landing on your heels so you don’t hurt your knees.

What’s your favorite type of workout? Do you prefer to take your time in your workouts, or do you like to get in and get out?

1 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries January 13, 2012 at 3:46 pm

loving the looks of this january ripper workout!! i had another workout on my agenda for today, but i might just do this one instead! i’m definitely one that likes to get in, sweat and work hard, and get out quick. no lollygagging for me!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Friday [Blog] FavoritesMy Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I like yo style. let me know how it works for ya!

3 Brittany *Sparkles* January 13, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Love super sets! burn MAX calories!! then eat more cake :-D
Brittany *Sparkles* recently posted..You Are What You DoMy Profile

4 Kelsey @readysetfeast January 13, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I like to get in and out of the gym. My gym has a bunch of those ‘macho-men’ with no necks in it so I would prefer to spend the least amount of time with them as possible…
Kelsey @readysetfeast recently posted..Overnight Oatmeal- You Need ThisMy Profile

5 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 13, 2012 at 4:02 pm

I made my LiveFIt trainer workout today a superset workout :) I had no time this morning so I had to.. it was awesome!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Hangin with my sister :) My Profile

6 Ashleigh January 13, 2012 at 4:10 pm

This sounds like something I need to try! Not sure if I’ll make it all the way through but I can sure go ahead and try!
Ashleigh recently posted..Fitfluential FridayMy Profile

7 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

start out doing as much as you can and build up.. I bet you’ll get through it just fine. :)

8 christina January 13, 2012 at 4:13 pm

you are so pretty, no matter what silly face you’re making!!
i LOVE supersets. love tearing right through a workout!
voting now!

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

you rock, lady!

10 Lexie @ This Aussie Eats January 13, 2012 at 4:18 pm

This looks great, definitely going to give it a try! Im running a half on Sunday and am sooo ready to switch up my workouts again.

Quick question though… What are hot and colds?? Maybe a vlog idea? :-)
Lexie @ This Aussie Eats recently posted..Thankful Thursdays: 24 HoursMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 13, 2012 at 4:24 pm

good idea! :) hot and colds are (bear with me here)… stand with your feet together, then jump into a squat in one steady motion, getting your butt as low to the ground as you can. repeat, and make sure you’re landing on your heels, or you’ll hurt your knees. ;)

12 Lexie @ This Aussie Eats January 13, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Thanks! Will give them a go :-)

13 Jessie January 13, 2012 at 4:23 pm

I can’t wait to try this workout! Question though – what’s a hot & cold?

14 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 13, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Stand with your feet together, then jump into a squat in one fluid motion, getting your booty as low to the ground as you can. Repeat, and make sure you’re landing on your heels so you don’t hurt your knees. :)

15 Jessie January 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Awesome, thanks :)

16 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 13, 2012 at 4:28 pm

I usually do traditional supersets with push/pull muscles (ie: bicep curls to tricep kickbacks), but maybe I should throw in more of these circuit-style ones. It looks like a great workout.
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Holiday BaggageMy Profile

17 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 13, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Agree, supersets are the best. I like to feel like I’m getting the most for my time!
Emilie @ Emilie’s Enjoyables recently posted..Pecan Crusted SalmonMy Profile

18 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

I love keeping my heart rate up when doing strength workouts – double benefits!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Roasted Vegetables with Farro and KaleMy Profile

19 Sarah January 13, 2012 at 4:42 pm

It all depends on the day. If I have time then I’ll take my time but if I’m in a rush I’ve got to go in with a quick game plan.
Sarah recently posted..Deep BreathMy Profile

20 Chelsea January 13, 2012 at 4:52 pm

In and out for sure! I hate when people (my mom) like to do a set, get up and walk around, text a little, and then move on to the next. Who wants to be in the gym for like 2hrs?!

21 Michelle @ Blogitness January 13, 2012 at 5:50 pm

The January Ripper workout looks great!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Health and Fitness FridaysMy Profile

22 Shannon January 13, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Just reading your workout made me feel very, very tired. And sore. So instead of me actually doing it, I’m going to wish you well while you do it, and then have a vodka soda after work :) Deal?
Shannon recently posted..Important Update!!!My Profile

23 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 13, 2012 at 6:47 pm

hahaha. deal. but I want a VS too.

24 Chels R. January 13, 2012 at 7:49 pm

pinned & voted!
Chels R. recently posted..TGIFriday Faves.My Profile

25 Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 13, 2012 at 8:07 pm

LOVE supersets! And what a cool looking workout. Never heard of hot and colds actually.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..An Interval Workout Gold MineMy Profile

26 Mary January 13, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I voted for you. Good luck!

I love your energy and your blog funny style. I’ve run for some years but thinking of doing a half-marathon this year to make it “official” and set a fun fitness goal :)
Mary recently posted..Secrets of ExistenceMy Profile

27 julie January 13, 2012 at 8:36 pm

i LOVE me a good superset! it keeps me from snoozering at the gym fo sho. plus it keeps the nasties away because i’m always occupied
julie recently posted..i’m not the only oneMy Profile

28 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 13, 2012 at 8:42 pm

precisely why I’m such a big fan of supersets. I’m mad I forgot to add this to my “benefits” list.

29 Laura January 13, 2012 at 9:07 pm

I am a cardio junkie and its been hard to go from the cardio room to the weight room with all the muscley-grunting men but I am def better with a plan and this one sounds pretty good.

Personally I like time at the gym cause it is the only time I am not being bugged to do this or that….I get to do what I want. On the other hand, there is no lollygaging around either….I hate when people go to the gym to talk/text on their cell phones.
Laura recently posted..Cha-cha-cha-channnnges!!My Profile

30 Lindsay @ FuelMyFamily January 13, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I am with you. I like to go all out during my workouts and make the most of my time. It used to drive me nuts in college when the girls with nicely blow dryed no ponytail hair would slowly walk on a treadmill without a sports bra on. I just felt they were wasting their time (and mine since they were using the treadmill I was waiting for). I have too much else going on to meander around a gym!
Lindsay @ FuelMyFamily recently posted..A day in the life: food and exerciseMy Profile

31 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 13, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Looks like a rockin workout. I love to be in and out as fast as possible, so supersets are the way to go for me.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Fun FridayMy Profile

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 14, 2012 at 12:20 am

Love it! I guess I do “supersets” at the gym and just didn’t know what they were called. Does doing supersets make me supercool? ;)

Actually, I’m guessing asking that question negates any cool points I may have gotten. :P
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Whatcha Reading Weekend: The Hunger GamesMy Profile

33 Emily January 14, 2012 at 6:34 am

I voted for you! <3
Circuit workouts that incorporate supersets and tabatas are my favorite. I love changing things up throughout my workout- it keeps things interesting and keeps my muscles guessing!
Emily recently posted..Funky Fad FridayMy Profile

34 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 14, 2012 at 6:14 pm

thanks so much! and yes.. I’m a big tabata lover as well. my gym has a sweet tabata TNT class.

35 Michelle (Better with Berries) January 14, 2012 at 11:07 pm

Thanks for the workout idea! I saved it to my workouts folder – might be trying it tomorrow. I can already tell it will get me sweatin’!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Time for a ChangeMy Profile

36 Callie January 15, 2012 at 2:24 am

Hey Alyssa,
I just found your blog and I love it! You are so adorable and your posts are hilarious!

I’ve always liked lower-intensity and longer workouts, like yoga or walking outside, but I’ve recently tried to incorporate more quick and intense cardio sessions, to rev up my metabolism. I’m not a runner, but I want to become one..

37 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 12:02 am

thanks, girlfriend. :) honestly, I used to say I wasn’t a runner, either. just start out slow… you may become addicted.

38 Heather @ For the Love of Kale January 16, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Great super-set, girl! I love doing an “all-in-one” workout. Incorporating cardio and strength training in one workout makes me work my body harder and really challenges me. Lots of “Heather, you can do this girl!” goes on. Strength training still has my heart, though! Nothin’ like makin’ muscle. ;-)
Heather @ For the Love of Kale recently posted..Food for ThoughtMy Profile

39 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 16, 2012 at 7:21 pm

That link didn’t work for me :/. I like a high-intensity workout that’s fairly quick!

40 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 12:02 am

thank you for trying! voting closed yesterday at noon. :)

41 jen January 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm

this is my first time commented but i just wanted to say thanks for sharing this workout! I had flagged it and finally did it this morning… it was awesome! please keep them coming :)

42 jen January 22, 2012 at 4:41 pm

*commenting…

43 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm

woohoo! glad you liked it!

44 Robbi Ann January 25, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Pretty freaking excited to try this. Why’s it called January Ripper, though? Tried to google it but only found you, haha. So glad I found this blog, gives me so many ideas & motivation.

45 Katie January 26, 2012 at 4:25 pm

Can’t wait to try this workout! I’m a little confused though about the “3 moves 3 times” at the bottom. Is it just for the last set?

46 Nicole April 10, 2012 at 7:49 pm

I love supersets too. Mainly because I don’t waste time at the gym. I’m already trying to fit in my workouts, so anything that speeds it up is good to me!
Nicole recently posted..I had a case of…My Profile