Running is Hard

January 11, 2012 · 34 comments

…at the ripe ol’ age of 24.

If you follow me on Twitter, you may have seen the following on Sunday morning:

I was pretty excited to go sweat out the sadness on a nice long birthday run, especially with how beautiful the weather was all day.

But then I started answering birthday phone calls (my favorite being the “cha cha cha” version I now receive from my nieces) and lay down on my bed to upload pictures.

Then this happened.

I was low on sleep. My bed is reeaaally comfy. and I was in the mindset of, “It’s my birthday. I do what I want.”

And that’s the story of how my birthday became a rest day. 🙂 I elected to have a birthday dinner at Lucky Oyster, a local raw bar, with friends instead.

We should probably just be attached at the hip.

Fast forward to Monday.

I almost always hit the gym directly after work. I don’t know about you guys, but with the January Joiners overcrowding my gym, it is hot in there. I’m gettin’ real sweaty.

via

You know, Britney-I’m-a-Slave-4-U-sweaty.

Anybody who has seen what I really look like when I sweat can stop laughing now.

I must just be missing the snake around my neck. That’s all.

The point of this story: My first run as a 24 year old sucked. 8 miles of torture, slow speeds, and glares at my water bottle for not providing me with some magical happy running elixir.

Maybe it’s the stagnant air in the gym that makes me want to take a baseball bat to the steaming windows. Maybe it’s the lack of personal space. Maybe it’s the heat. Maybe it’s my old, feeble, decomposing 24 year old body.

And then there’s that.

1 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries January 11, 2012 at 3:18 pm

Don’t joke about cutting down on the booze. You’ll give me a heart attack.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..How Your Phone can Help Improve Your HealthMy Profile

2 Theresa January 11, 2012 at 3:25 pm

your blog always makes my day, hahaha.

i hate those off days…they always hit me when i least expect them. i’ll wake up and tell myself..hey, you are gonna have an awesome run today. and then I start and my legs are like..oh noooo you arent.
Theresa recently posted..Being humble and cones make everything betterMy Profile

3 Karla January 11, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Happy belated birthday, Alyssa! Everyone hits running funks.. you’ll snap out of it. No need to nix the booze 😉
Karla recently posted..2012 GOALS…not resolutionsMy Profile

4 Ashleigh January 11, 2012 at 3:36 pm

You make me laugh so much! If this is what happens when you turn 24 I am not excited to turn 24!! And damn those January joiners 😉
Ashleigh recently posted..I love weddings.My Profile

5 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 11, 2012 at 3:40 pm

HAhaha. Your crappy run was only one time! The next one is always SO much better 🙂

6 Kelsey @readysetfeast January 11, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I feel really bad that I seriously cannot stand all the new people at the gym. Shouldn’t I be happy they are trying to get healthy….? Instead I am angry they are crowding my gym and taking my treadmills….at least I’m not alone!
Kelsey @readysetfeast recently posted..So Stupid it HurtsMy Profile

7 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer January 11, 2012 at 3:45 pm

OMG, I keep thinking I should cut back on my drinking, but then I quickly change my mind.
Let’s drink to that!!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Happy to ReportMy Profile

8 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 11, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I hate those days when you go for a run and are just like why did I even bother this feeling of death is not fun!! But then after all you can do is give yourself props for getting it done. P.s. Britney Spears “I’m a slave for you” I always thought it was “kick it, kick it, what” boy I was mistaken lol!!
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..My first what I ate WednesdayMy Profile

9 Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves January 11, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Haha! Booze can definitely take its toll on runs! Sometimes its so hard to choose, go out and have a good time or stay home so I can have a good run tomorrow? Booze usually wins.
Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves recently posted..Oats Fail, the Rolling Stones, and Ripped HandsMy Profile

10 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 11, 2012 at 4:31 pm

haha everything gets harder the older you get 😉
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Longest.Week.EverMy Profile

11 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 11, 2012 at 4:41 pm

haha any work out is way harder after drinking..your blog always makes me laugh:)
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Unpacking counts as a work outMy Profile

12 Julie January 11, 2012 at 5:22 pm

even though your run may have been less than stellar, major props to you for getting your booty to the gym! p.s. love your blue top & feather earrings, blue is a good color on you!

13 Chels R. January 11, 2012 at 6:14 pm

Happy Belated B-day!
Chels R. recently posted..I’m a part-time vegetarian.My Profile

14 Brittany *Sparkles* January 11, 2012 at 6:54 pm

hahaha I hear ya! I sweat like Slave Britney at the gym too! especially when on ANY cardio equipment….
Brittany *Sparkles* recently posted..More Fun with Fitness & FashionMy Profile

15 Amber K January 11, 2012 at 7:00 pm

Considering I’m nursing a foot and a back injury I’m starting to feel a LOT older than my almost 29 years. lol
Amber K recently posted..WLW: Exercise the Way YOU WantMy Profile

16 Alexa @ Simple Eats January 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I only wish I could look as good as Brit when she sweats. *Sigh*
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..Favorite Healthy SnacksMy Profile

17 Danica @ GirlsThatRun January 11, 2012 at 7:33 pm

Gotta love those unplanned rest days 🙂 And yes, I definitely agree with you on the January Joiners sweating up the gym and turning it into a sauna. Ughhh
Danica @ GirlsThatRun recently posted..Ask and You Shall ReceiveMy Profile

18 Mom January 11, 2012 at 7:56 pm

WTPH? You told me that your “best ever” birthday was when we had Aunt Sally come to entertain you and 50 other children?

19 Sara January 11, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Jan Joiners have no sense of personal space. This morning while I was doing my ab workout this woman threw her mat down next to me and was practically on top of me when there was plenty of room elsewhere. Grrr — sorry for venting :/

20 ALYSSA - FASHION FITNESS FOODIE January 11, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Oh wait til you are 27… Every mile you run becomes PURE excitement!
ALYSSA – FASHION FITNESS FOODIE recently posted..NumbersMy Profile

21 Lauren January 11, 2012 at 8:28 pm

It could be that you need to cut back on the booze, ooooor it could be that 8 miles is a lot to run!! I think marathon mileage has warped your mind, lady 🙂 In other words, keep the alcohol coming!
Lauren recently posted..Simple Cornmeal PancakesMy Profile

22 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 11, 2012 at 9:46 pm

It is SO freakin hot in the gym with the huge crowds. I’m already a sweat monster, but I feel like I belong in a swamp when I start running in the sweaty-humidity. At the ripe old age of 25, some of my best runs have been after a night of too much tequila 😉
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Bookworms AnonymousMy Profile

23 Claire @ let's go on a living spree January 12, 2012 at 3:38 am

Actually…..and I’m sure you know this…you have yet to hit your running peak. Not even close 🙂 No really! Women don’t peak until they are in their early 30s! And I am a much better runner now at 29 than I was at 24. Maybe it’s the fact that I’ve had time to run more marathons/races…or maybe not. I definitely still drink just as much (being a continual grad student lends itself to that 😉 so it’s not like my lifestyle is any better haha
Claire @ let’s go on a living spree recently posted..The PlagueMy Profile

24 Becca January 12, 2012 at 5:44 am

You’re hilarious! I hear you about the overcrowding in January. I’ve been a member at my gym for over a year and last night I took the LAST treadmill when I got there. The LAST ONE! I have never seen more then two being used at one since I’ve been a member there!
Becca recently posted..Ouch!!My Profile

25 Maura K January 12, 2012 at 1:49 pm

HA! I love this post because I feel the same exact way.

26 christina January 13, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Britney Spears is such a motivator for me — her (old) body (ha) and her music always get me going! Didn’t she used to do like 1,000 crunches a day or something insane? Ugh.
christina recently posted..Tagged on Thursday / Factual FridayMy Profile

27 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath January 15, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Hey…just found your blog, and I love this post! I have days that turn into rest days too! Can’t wait to keep reading more of your blog!
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..The Stress of SundaysMy Profile