Remember When I Said…

January 31, 2012 · 45 comments

My day was made when I got a Heytell from Jamie while at work.

“Heeeyyyy… is it warm enough to run outside?”

Reply:

1. pull out iPhone
  2. ask Siri what the weather’s like because you miss her voice
  3. Heytell Jamie back and say HECK YES IT IS.”

Sometimes I think Jamie and I have some brain connection. How did she know I was absolutely dreading hopping on the treadmill after work?

And check out the weather in VA Beach these days.

via

It wasn’t that warm yesterday, but it still felt so much better than our sweltering hot gym. We threw on headbands, hats, running jackets, and our beloved Wunder Unders (twinsies!), leashed up Chloe, and took off for a nice 8-mile fun run.

That’s us afterwards… feelin’ real fresh. Jamie was a big fan of my OneMoreMile marathon headband while I rocked my trusty Love Grown Foods hat.

(Sidenote: I’ve had that blue running jacket for over 3 years now, and it’s still my favorite. Perfect for brisk days and really chilly nights, the C9 Champion by Target is where it’s at.)

And in respect to my suddenly-hurting-again shins? I am swearing upon my Brooks Pure Connect forever and ever. Every time I switch back to my older Asics (I was told in marathon training to use an every-other-day regimen, since it can take up to 24 hours for shoe padding to return to its normal shape after a long run), my left shin kills again.

After 8 miles in my Brooks Pure Connects on an already-hurting shin, I feel great. It’s as if running in the Brooks erases the shin pain. I love it.

And remember when I said an exercised dog is a good dog?

I take it all back. Every last bit of it.

I’ll be sipping on my $1 any size Wawa coffee as I try to forget about the couple hundo I’m going to have to spend on new glasses over my lunch break.

P.S. Need a new exercise? Go check out one of my “go-to vanity move” (via video) in today’s Tuesday Trainer.

1 Theresa January 31, 2012 at 3:16 pm

did you switch between the two pairs of shoes during all your marathon training? just curious..i only use one pair right now, and i wont start training for a few months, but if switching between shoes helps prevent injury (im prone to it) then im all for it..lol
Theresa recently posted..A deceitful mealMy Profile

2 Nikki January 31, 2012 at 3:41 pm

Hey question about shoes. Did you do much research about minimalist shoes? I’m kind of torn between Brooks and Newtons right now, I think. I’ve also heard some good things about the Nike Frees.

3 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I chose the Brooks Pure Connect because theyre a step towards the barefoot running idea. I knew that I needed shoes that propelled me off my heels more to help my shins, so I went with these babies. I adore them!

4 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 31, 2012 at 3:47 pm

haha what happened to your glasses?!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Gleekin’ it upMy Profile

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Chloe ate them.

6 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 31, 2012 at 3:58 pm

oh yes I remember you mentioned that… ahh bad dog.
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Gleekin’ it upMy Profile

7 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 31, 2012 at 3:56 pm

um i LOVE haytell. Such a great app!

8 chelcie @ chelcie's food files January 31, 2012 at 3:59 pm

i’m sorry about your glasses! My dog use to chew up every single piece of underwear I owned..not as expensive as sunglasses but I still wanted to kill her! lol
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Jazzed Up Annie’s Mac and CheeseMy Profile

9 Nikki January 31, 2012 at 4:00 pm

If you don’t care how classy your glasses are, check out zennioptical.com. I seriously only wear mine at night so I don’t care how nice they are. And I had my roommate’s dog eat a pair last semester… I got two pairs for under 30 dollars…all you do is pick a style, enter your prescription and wait for them to be delivered!
Nikki recently posted..Capitol CoutureMy Profile

10 Heather January 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm

things that are hilarious: right before i read your post i looked at my weather and saw that it, too, would be warm enough for me to run outside this week. …. with a high of 46. ahem
Heather recently posted..Hope and Mild IndigestionMy Profile

11 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 4:11 pm

haha! WELL, it was only about 45 degrees last night… so I guess we’re even. ;) it really wasn’t bad!

12 Mae January 31, 2012 at 4:07 pm

My husband used to work for Brooks. I love their running shoes and clothes and miss the discounts. I think this is my first comment on your blog, but I found you through PBF, and your blog is great!

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 6:08 pm

GOSH, I’m jealous! I need to find a nice brooks employee. ;) and thanks, lady!

14 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers January 31, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh no! Sorry about the glasses. Enjoy that coffee… every drop counts. ;)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..I Love AnimalsMy Profile

15 theAlmostRunner January 31, 2012 at 4:47 pm

You have HeyTell? Shoot girl… I’ma be hittin’ you UP.
theAlmostRunner recently posted..S-S-S-Sushi RollMy Profile

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 6:07 pm

hit me up, giiiirl. #butnotifyoudontlikeheytellsat1pmfromthebar

17 theAlmostRunner January 31, 2012 at 6:09 pm

#ithinkmaybeyoumean1ambuteitherwayisgoooood
theAlmostRunner recently posted..S-S-S-Sushi RollMy Profile

18 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 6:23 pm

……. #ithinkineedmorecoffeestat

19 Kaelin January 31, 2012 at 4:48 pm

Oh no! Sorry about your glasses….. yikes! My dog and I go out for daily runs to wear her out and it was working wonders until I would come home and she had gone through the recycling and ripped things to shreds. She did this almost everyday and was generally a well behaved dog. I decided maybe she was hungry after increasing her running distance in the Spring. So I started giving her more food at meal times, and she quit getting into things when we were not at home. Now that Chloe is coming along on runs with you, maybe she is more hungry too?

20 Kristin @ FoodFash January 31, 2012 at 4:51 pm

60′s and sunshine sounds like perfect running weather to me!
Kristin @ FoodFash recently posted..Last Of The Cafe Hey DaysMy Profile

21 Katie January 31, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Gaahhh! My glasses broke yesterday, too! I can’t even blame it on the dog…they just fell apart. Let’s go glasses shopping together.
Katie recently posted..Maple Balsamic DressingMy Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 6:07 pm

goshdarnit, I just went and needed your opinion! next time, okay? ;)

23 Kelsey @readysetfeast January 31, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I am so sick of the dreamill. Love the weather lately so I can actually get outside and see the world instead of a blank wall in front of me for hours.
Kelsey @readysetfeast recently posted..More Packages PleaseMy Profile

24 Shannon January 31, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Chewed on glasses are the worst. I foster parent rescue dogs and have had 2 pairs of glasses eaten. It completely infuriates me but is probably less painful than if one of my dogs were to do it, because a poor homeless dog just wants to read too :). I’m so sorry though, that is the worst.
Shannon recently posted..Tinkerbell Half Marathon: The Official Review… (one, two, three… NOT)My Profile

25 Kris | iheartwellness.com January 31, 2012 at 5:24 pm

Ahhh lovie, I need to know how to run! LOL! I never do it, but it sounds like fun ;) I admire that you rock your socks off out there and just do it!! It is chilly here and I WISH I was back in South Beach watching all the hot men run on the sand…as I laid there ;)

Are these shoes you have better than any Nike runners??

xxoo
Kris | iheartwellness.com recently posted..Tomato Sauced Scramble and Davids Tea x3My Profile

26 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 6:06 pm

I’ve only ever run in Asics (which I LOVED) and these. I’m now a Brooks believer!

27 Karla @myhighonlife January 31, 2012 at 5:29 pm

That weather is gorgeous! I think the weather everywhere is abnormally warm, it’s 47 in WISCONSIN today… what?! I want to try the Pure Connect sometime :)
Karla @myhighonlife recently posted..A Weekend to Go Down into the BooksMy Profile

28 Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves January 31, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Does chloe struggle on 8-milers? I have a lab and the most I’ve run her is 6. I’m scared any more is too much! But I hate leaving her behind when I go for a run.
Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves recently posted..Does Dancing Count as Cardio?My Profile

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 31, 2012 at 6:05 pm

ohhhh, we dropped her after 2 miles. :) I should have noted that. she starts to straggle around 4 miles, but she’s gone up to 6.5

30 Amber K January 31, 2012 at 6:57 pm

Your poor glasses! That stinks. I barely wear mine because I’m so afraid of them getting ruined. Kinda defeats the purpose, but luckily I really only need them while driving somewhere unfamiliar so I can see the street signs better.
Amber K recently posted..SparkPeople DVD ReviewMy Profile

31 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 31, 2012 at 8:06 pm

Coffee makes everything better. Drinking some now.
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..tuesday trainer – my “go-to” vanity movesMy Profile

32 Paige January 31, 2012 at 8:17 pm

And I thought our mid 50′s was nice! Enjoy it girlie!
So sorry about the glasses. Boo :(

33 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy January 31, 2012 at 8:38 pm

Luckily the extent of Mac’s damage has only been to 3 iPhone chargers… yes 3… it takes me a while to learn my lesson. Enjoy the beautiful weather!
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Will You Accept This Chicken?My Profile

34 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 1, 2012 at 1:25 am

Chloe has actually gone for my charger before! I’ll keep that up high from now on. ;)

35 Rach January 31, 2012 at 9:49 pm

Yikes! Sorry about the glasses. I’ve definitely come home to find Oreo has gotten into something too, haha! But the pup just has the cutest face so you can’t stay mad. ;)
Rach recently posted..For Such a Time as ThisMy Profile

36 Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 1, 2012 at 12:22 am

Funny you say that about your Brooks. I’ve been having shin splint problems, so I just got fitted for a new pair of running shoes last week. My new shoes are Brooks, and so far, I’m loving them! I’ve done three shorter runs, and my shins have been good the whole time. Fingers crossed that the Brooks continue to help us both! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..One last “Hurrah.”My Profile

37 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 1, 2012 at 1:27 am

38 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 1, 2012 at 1:27 am

yes! and if you continue to have problems, let me know. I have some magic stretches for you.

39 Ashley Mammel February 1, 2012 at 12:38 am

I get shin splints ALL the time…but I have actually never heard about switching back and forth between 2 pairs of sneakers? Did you find that that was the best solution to your pain? Thanks!! :)

40 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 1, 2012 at 1:29 am

I’ve been told this is best for training in general… knees, shins, etc. so the padding is totally there each time you’re pounding the pavement.

41 Robbi Ann February 1, 2012 at 1:05 am

I’m still undecided on my brooks pureconnect (another Christmas present, if you remember my comment on your Xmas list about my clarisonic & rain coat) needless to say my mom is awesome? anyways, shoes. I really only have about 40 miles on them cause I only do 1 run a week in them. I feel like they don’t support my flat feet enough.. but I really want to love them :(

42 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 1, 2012 at 1:31 am

aahh, gosh, you really had an awesome Christmas! but yeah, that’s where we’re different. I have super high arches, so they’re great for me.

43 laura February 1, 2012 at 3:28 am

hey girlie! i work for lululemon and i’ve GOT to tell you… your beloved wunder unders are not made for running!! they are made of luon, which is designed for yoga, light exercise, or just hangin around. check out our running line!! all the pants and crops are made of rulu, a running version of luon with a special blend designed to sweat and run around in. i personally recommend the inspire crops II…i have two pairs and run the heck out of ‘em! love to see that you are lovin’ the wundies :)

44 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss February 1, 2012 at 1:22 pm

that’s WEIRD, Laura… the girls in the showroom knew I bought them to actually run the Marine Corps Marathon in them. they told me to use them for running, going out/hanging out, yoga, whatever! good to know that’s not the case. ;) thanks for the info!

45 Molly February 1, 2012 at 8:46 pm

I am so jealous of your weather. We think it is a heat wave up here in Wisconsin and it is only 40! I cannot wait for spring so I don’t have to wear pants to run outside!
Molly recently posted..Running in Warm Weather-soon!My Profile