I Have Been…

January 17, 2012 · 56 comments

1. …Busy attending a Bachelorette Jarty this weekend.

Nope, that’s not a typo. A jarty = bachelorette party… covered in denim. We were instructed to wear jorts, jirts, jeadbands, jresses, jandelier earrings, jecklaces.. whatever we could get our jands on.

I have been on the prowl for a sweet jomper, but to no avail… I had to settle on a jress. To which we added jringe.

The jretty jride had a wonderful time, as did her jridal party.

Just in case any of you brides to be are looking for a great theme for a bachelorette party… this one was a true crowd-pleaser.

2. …Taking a slight hiatus from painting wine/beer glasses.

Life is kinda crazy right now, and I’m working on some exciting developments in my life that take precedence over glasses. It’s kind of a relief to have one less thing to do these days.

3. …Playing with the idea of enrolling this girl in PetSmart obedience training.

Some of you will remember she went to her breeder for boot camp, but I’m thinking some adult classes will help with the jumping/barking/goingbatshitcrazy stuff she likes to pull.

4. …Finally trying my hand at mashed cauliflower.

It may sound gross, but honestly?

With the right seasonings, it’s a fantastic mashed potato substitute.

All you do is chop the cauliflower, boil it on medium for about 15 minutes, blend it up, and add your seasonings.

I’m still trying to decide if all the work to make such a small amount is worth it, but I did enjoy it.

Even if it doesn’t look awesome via photography. Clearly, I need a light box and some photography lessons.

5. …Throwing myself into more Pinterest craft projects.

What do you get when you combine this:

with this…

…and this?

Glass vases turned candle holders.

6. …Busy making plans to attend the BLEND RETREAT.

I’m pretty psyched to spend a weekend in Colorado bonding with some of my favorite chicas while doing what we love best. While I was really sad I missed HLS, the Blend Retreat is so much more up my alley… fitness classes, a gorgeous Colorado hike, and some runs are in the agenda. I’m already ready for it to be May already!

Pretty sweet roomies, right? I stole that original picture from Courtney, by the way.

If you haven’t, there is still time to grab a ticket and join us in the fun. Go to the site for details!

1 gabriella @ lessons on the run January 17, 2012 at 2:10 pm

I just enrolled my dog in a puppy class. Starts this Sunday and I am pumped. He’s very smart so I’m hoping he’ll pick things up quickly, we’re having a bit of a barking/jumping/puppy nipping problem, but he’s also teething so pretty much just an uncomfortable little pup. Those candle holders are beautiful! And the blend retreat sounds like SO much fun!
gabriella @ lessons on the run recently posted..AdjustmentsMy Profile

2 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 3:11 pm

You have to let me know how it goes with quelling the barking/jumping! Chloe is a nutcase with TOO much energy… I need to make the whole “pay attention to be RIGHTNOW” barking thing go away stat.

3 Beth January 17, 2012 at 2:20 pm

You will have so much fun at the Blend Retreat! It’s right in my back yard, Colorado is beautiful in May! There’s a great trail race on May 5th!
Beth recently posted..Losing Weight While TrainingMy Profile

4 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy January 17, 2012 at 2:25 pm

If only I could afford it. *sigh* Maybe next year :)!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..He Will Be MissedMy Profile

5 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Love the Jean theme! Is it bad that’s how I dress everyday? Just kidding! I do miss the 80s though!
I love your vases – Pinterest is addicting!
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Top Ten Worst Kid’s CerealsMy Profile

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm

hahaa. there’s no way you rock that denim bikini.

7 Sarah January 17, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Oh my! I love your candle holders! Soo stinkin cute :)
Sarah recently posted..Meals and MilesMy Profile

8 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 17, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Im seriously considering going to the retreat too! I think it would be ohsomuchfun!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Calling All SnackersMy Profile

9 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 3:13 pm

go sign up! space will go quickly :)

10 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 17, 2012 at 2:40 pm

Man I wish I could go to the Blend Retreat! Have a great time

11 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 17, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I think my husband and I are taking a beach vacation around the same time, but you guys will have a blast! Love the jean themed party! :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Restaurant Review – ElementsMy Profile

12 Lexie @ This Aussie Eats January 17, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I tried making mashed cauliflower last week! And im with you on the effort part, coz it doesn’t keep too well for leftovers. I added a little margarine and Mrs. Dash to mine and it seemed to do the trick and make it a little creamier like potatoes.

Boulder will be a blast! I just moved from a town near there in October and miss the mountains and hiking sooo much
Lexie @ This Aussie Eats recently posted..Rock n Roll Arizona: My First Half Marathon!My Profile

13 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 3:14 pm

I bet.. it looks so beautiful. I’ve only been to Colorado once, and I’m looking forward to returning!

14 Lena @Fit on the Rocks January 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm

That glass vase is so pretty and looks so easy to make. Time to make my first Pinterest craft? I think so. I can’t wait for the Blend Retreat! It’ll be my first blogger event. I’m just hoping we don’t get one of our random Colorado snow storms.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Drumroll PleaseMy Profile

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 3:12 pm

in MAY? we better not!

16 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile January 17, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Hahah that’s such a cute idea for a party ! I really want to go to the Blend retreat!

17 Pamela January 17, 2012 at 3:37 pm

Great craft idea! I love candles, so it would be fun to make some homemade candle holders! I’ll have to try it. I’ve seen so many cute craft ideas on Pinterest!
Pamela recently posted..Wine and Cheese PairingMy Profile

18 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry January 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Ohhh man, you are a denim dream machine. I love the idea of a jarty!!! I love the beautiful bride’s jeans the best, with the lovely floral and the abundance of buttons. Sexy sexy.

I so wish I could go to the Blend retreat!!! Sadly, I have another conference that week. Ho hum…
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..The Skaters and the Ice BoatMy Profile

19 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 5:00 pm

oh, yes. the jride was wearing some sweet joveralls folded down. they were jantastic.

20 Michelle @ Blogitness January 17, 2012 at 4:26 pm

The bacherolette jarty looks like a lot of fun! The Blend Retreat sounds amazing…too bad I live on the wrong side of the country!
Michelle @ Blogitness recently posted..Why I Choose Freelance Journalism- Edition 2My Profile

21 Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 17, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Hahahaha! That picture you photoshopped together is awesome. Can’t wait!!!! We are going to have SO much fun. And that craft idea is amazing. So pretty!
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Races and PlacesMy Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm

yes. we. are.

23 Shannon January 17, 2012 at 4:37 pm

1. Your jarty is freaking awesome. That is seriously an amazing idea.
2. I made mashed cauliflour once, but it was a ridiculous amount of work! I liked the taste, but it was seriously the most exhausting thing ever. And being tired is hard.
3. You Pinterest girls amaze me! I still don’t understand how the site works.
4. I think Chloe is just on the verge of growing out of her crazy girl stage. I remember I wanted to totally give my lab back (not serious serious, she was just driving me batshitcrazy) up until she hit the 1.5 year mark. I had her in school and exercised her often and she was still a mutant. Then, one day, she woke up and has been an absolute ANGEL since then!
Hope you have a great Tuesday!
Shannon recently posted..Emotional InsightMy Profile

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 4:58 pm

oh, good gosh. I’ll be praying for that day. you have given me hope. :)

25 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm

Loving that photoshop work! If you ever want to photoshop me in with Ryan Gosling, feel free.
YAY for BLEND! Can’t wait!
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..tuesday trainer – heart rate boostersMy Profile

26 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm

next project: Photoshop + all us girls + Colorado mountains ……. + Ryan.

27 Karla January 17, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Jarty.. Love it! I have a sweet jomper you could’ve borrowed :)

The Blend Retreat looks amazing. I want to make those candle vases so bad. So pretty!
Karla recently posted..Rose Bowl! part 1My Profile

28 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 17, 2012 at 5:12 pm

Looks like you girl jartied hard! Too funny!

I’ve been wanting to try mashed cauliflower from a while but I don’t have a food processor and don’t know if it’ll work in the blender.
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..A Special Birthday + GiveawayMy Profile

29 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I used my blender!

30 Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life January 17, 2012 at 6:53 pm

YES! I have cauliflower in my fridge begging to be mashed potato-ized!
Sylvia @ Frolic Through Life recently posted..Birthday Twin DinnerMy Profile

31 Chelsea January 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm

I love love mashed cauliflower!

32 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 17, 2012 at 5:23 pm

Love your candle holders!
Emilie @ Emilie’s Enjoyables recently posted..Biscoff Pretzel BitesMy Profile

33 Kim January 17, 2012 at 6:16 pm

Oh my goodness, puh-LEASE post a link on how to make those candle holders! I want to try it out!!!
Kim recently posted..Hey Chicago Winter, There You AreMy Profile

34 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 8:10 pm

you don’t even need instructions! just put rubber bands around a vase and paint. I used glass paint, but it took a while and a lot of coats. I’d recommend using spray paint as the original maker suggested.

35 Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife January 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Pretty candle holders!!
Annette @ EnjoyYourHealthyLife recently posted..Protein Breakfast PattiesMy Profile

36 Amber K January 17, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I haven’t made mashed cauliflower without adding a small potato too for body. It can be a pain to make, but so delicious!
Amber K recently posted..Line Dancing and BirthdaysMy Profile

37 Mattie @ Comfy and Confident January 17, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Those glass vases are so darn cute! And they looked so simple to make. I love it !
Mattie @ Comfy and Confident recently posted..JerkyMy Profile

38 Rach January 17, 2012 at 7:37 pm

What a fun vase idea! I’ve seen those on Pinterest- glad you did them! :)

Also, the “jarty” is an adorable idea, haha!
Rach recently posted..Puppies, Storage Wars and Finding a Wedding BandMy Profile

39 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm

<3 the candle holders! just like my wine glass project!
2. MAYBE something crazy will happen and i can go to blend retreat. want to meet you and colleen so badly!
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..SO Happy! (Live Fit Day 9)My Profile

40 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 8:09 pm

UM, please do. make that something crazy happen right this second!

41 Clare @ Fitting It All In January 17, 2012 at 8:19 pm

YOU could make it happen! You could click on my blog like 4000 times a day and then I’d make tons of money and use it on blend retreat
Clare @ Fitting It All In recently posted..SO Happy! (Live Fit Day 9)My Profile

42 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 8:59 pm

weeellll… you ARE on my blogroll. just sayin’. I’m already at it.

43 ALYSSA - FASHION FITNESS FOODIE January 17, 2012 at 8:16 pm

I was thinking about trying my hand at those vases too!! I wonder if it would still look pretty in a different color??
ALYSSA – FASHION FITNESS FOODIE recently posted..Skinny Penne A La VodkaMy Profile

44 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 17, 2012 at 9:26 pm

I thought about that, but I felt like they would look cheap in any other color but ivory!

45 janae@hungryrunnergirl.com January 17, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I wish I could come so so so so bad. Your vase is awesome and I need to attend a Jarty…HOW FUN!

46 Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design January 17, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Ugh, Koda does the same thing…only huskies don’t bark….they sing/scream/growl/talk/yodel. It is adorable sometimes, and other times, not so much. He gets a little mouthy sometimes too so I am considering taking him back to school!

I pinned that same vase project on Pinterest a while back…I definitely want to do it sometime, it looks great!

Blend Retreat looks soooo fun…I have always wanted to go to Colorado.

47 Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design January 17, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Oh…and how could I forget to mention….that jarty? It is legendary. Gotta try that one….
Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design recently posted..Rest DaysMy Profile

48 Lindsay @ FuelMyFamily January 18, 2012 at 2:50 am

those candle holders look great! I have yet to give into pinterest because I’ve heard its soo addicting but I think I need to!
Lindsay @ FuelMyFamily recently posted..Have a peekMy Profile

49 Emily January 18, 2012 at 5:49 am

A Bachelorette Jarty?! That is brilliant! What a fun and unique theme.
Those candle holders are gorgeous- I’m definitely stealing that idea! And I’ve been wanting to try mashed cauliflower for such a long time but the process is daunting…One of these days!
Emily recently posted..WIAW #13: The Variety ShowMy Profile

50 Bess @ Bess Be Fit January 18, 2012 at 2:12 pm

I love the idea of blend retreat!! I don’t think I’ll be able to swing it but I am thinking about it!
Bess @ Bess Be Fit recently posted..Happy Birthday to Me!My Profile

51 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 18, 2012 at 2:36 pm

NO! come!

52 Briana January 20, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I don’t have a blog but I love reading them and I decided to sign up for the Blend retreat, it sounds like a blast and its only an hour away from me!

53 Lissa January 26, 2012 at 12:36 am
54 Camilia Spencer April 13, 2012 at 2:10 am

You are so gorgeous. I like your hair and fashion style. And regarding the mashed cauliflower, I haven’t tried that yet. You have unique taste buds because you were able to discover a new recipe.
Camilia Spencer recently posted..MSDSonline Management Partners with ICG Group, to Acquire MSDSonline from Existing InvestorsMy Profile

55 kelly April 27, 2012 at 11:31 pm

If you want some great margs in Boulder, check out the Rio….deceptively strong, but amazing, margs.