Evolution of Hip Hop Playlist

January 19, 2012 · 30 comments

This has been an exciting week. And ya know what else excited me this week? X-Spin class.

Allow me to rewind to a Twitter conversation about the fitness classes being held on the Blend Retreat, where I made my distaste for burpees very clear.

I told them I was giving up my tickets if I had to do burpees on the retreat. Eff that.

I had to do so many darn burpees for college field hockey. I told myself I’d never do them again.

via

And whaddya know, about 45 minutes later, I found myself doing burpees in X-Spin Class.

But it doesn’t matter. This week’s class was absolutely awesome because of the music. It just goes to show how the right music really can make the workout.

(Sidenote: I actually do think the burpees weren’t that bad because I’m getting stronger. Gimme those muscles!)

Allow me to introduce Terri’s Evolution of Hip Hop Playlist:

Pin It

For those of you who know me and my love for songs such as “Get Low, Shots, and especially All I Do is Win,” you know I had a really hard time not pausing my workout to throw my hands in the air and shake it.

I’ve also had a pretty big weak spot for the Kanye & Jay-Z song for a few weeks now. Judgers, judge away. I like my hip hop.

Moral of the story: Lindsay and Tina can make me do as many burpees as they want if they play T-Pain as I do them. There’s my negotiation.

I’m off to jam to my hip hop and draw more fake chocolate milk mustaches on all my pictures.

1 Lindsay @ Lindsay's List January 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Love this entire post. And you.
Lindsay @ Lindsay’s List recently posted..thursday’s theme and awarenessMy Profile

2 Brittany *Sparkles* January 19, 2012 at 1:55 pm

haha I love the new Kanye Jay-Z song!! it’s okay… I like to say I’m an uh-oh oreo all the way ;) Music DOES make the workout! every tiem I get a new mix or playlist I run 100,000,000 times better

3 Emilie @ Emilie's Enjoyables January 19, 2012 at 2:01 pm

LOVE this playlist. I’m creating it on my ipod as we speak.

4 Jenny January 19, 2012 at 2:07 pm

This list is SOLID!
Although I can’t get through “The Seed” without a few giggles. I always thought it was about getting a chick pregnant, but The Internet says it’s about “transcending musical genres.” Whatever.
Jenny recently posted..Rex Manning DayMy Profile

5 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

I have a love hate relationship with burpees, I make myself do them every other day, mind you I can only do about 20 before I want to die. It takes me back to my swimming days when I was forced to do 50+!

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

I swear, childhood/college sports kill everyone’s desire to do certain workout moves.

7 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 19, 2012 at 3:11 pm

last night at group training another client brought in a playlist and it was olllld hip hop like oollld jay z (big pinpin anyone) and Kriss Kross! ahhhh it was marvelous and made training that much better!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Everybody Limbo & I Finally Made Roasted CauliflowerMy Profile

8 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 19, 2012 at 3:22 pm

I love California Love :) Now I wish I had it on my playlist.. must.download.now.
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..This happened yesterday…My Profile

9 Theresa January 19, 2012 at 3:38 pm

hahaha what a great playlist…and burpees are ridiculous, but in a good way. until i start doing them and i’m cursing out of breath :)
Theresa recently posted..Foam rolling and yet another reason to love PBMy Profile

10 Lauren January 19, 2012 at 3:50 pm

I LOVE running to some ODB. Even though that song is slightly derogatory. And I dare anyone to listen to California Love and not want to dance!
Lauren recently posted..Heavy SubjectsMy Profile

11 Bess @ Bess Be Fit January 19, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Mike’s baseball intro song when he goes up to hit was “all I do is win” in college…Now when I hear it I am always reminded of the crowd throwing their hands up in the air and shaking it. haha great memories.
Bess @ Bess Be Fit recently posted..Birthday Recap. But First, The Winner.My Profile

12 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 19, 2012 at 5:07 pm

gosh, I wish I got a walkout song for field hockey in college. I would’ve hit that “All I Do is Win” so hard.

13 ash January 19, 2012 at 4:28 pm

great playlist!!!!!!!

14 Katy @ HaveYouHurd January 19, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I coach HS basketball and my girls think because I’m “old” (25) and white that all I listen to is country music. WRONG! I ball so hard mudda-fudgers wanna fine me! That shiz cray.
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Blackened Shrimp PizzaMy Profile

15 Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine January 19, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Ahhhhh EVERYONE is going to the Blend retreat and I can’t get a ticket until I figure out what the hell is going on in my life. I am so jealous and hope that there will magically still be a spot for me when I get my shit together in a thousand years.

Also, whenever I work out to Lose Yourself I immediately feel fifteen times more hardcore and tend to ellipticize so hard that the machine starts to make awkward banging noises.

16 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 19, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Gabriela, do it anyway. if it makes you feel better, I’m also trying to figure out what the hell is going on with my life, and I decided to just send it in and grab a ticket regardless. ;) who knows where I’ll be living/flying in from!

and I giggled out loud at your Lose Yourself note… it also came on my Pandora yesterday during my treadmill cooldown and I ended up almost sprinting another mile. Eminem makes us all feel like hardcore badasses, no?

17 Shannon January 19, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I would rather do anything than burpees. Seriously. Oh, except for mountain climbers. Neither of those made it into my “fun things” wish list I just created in my head. Good for you though! I totally just felt like someone’s grandpa saying that…
Shannon recently posted..Be a Safe Runner!My Profile

18 Amber K January 19, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I don’t know what it is about hip hop, but it totally gets me grooving! I can listen to country, Christian, or pop music, but it doesn’t pump me up as much as a good beat.
Amber K recently posted..The Things I Think AboutMy Profile

19 Heather @ Run Eat Play January 19, 2012 at 7:23 pm

You know what else sucks?! Triceps push-ups! I just pretend to do them in BodyPump because I hate them. Okay and because I can’t do them.
Heather @ Run Eat Play recently posted..Frozen Yogurt and Sweat…But Not TogetherMy Profile

20 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm

oooh, that’s a good call. I’m not the biggest fan of those.

21 Chels R. January 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Love it! Shots is one of my favorite workout songs too. So true that music can really make or break your workout!
Chels R. recently posted..Gratitude Thursdays.My Profile

22 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 19, 2012 at 9:07 pm

you and my bff Anastasia would get along so well. :)

23 Christine @ Oatmeal in my bowl January 19, 2012 at 9:24 pm

I’d give up my effing tickets too if I had to do Burpees. Burpees are not my friend. lol. See you at Blend!
Christine @ Oatmeal in my bowl recently posted..WIAW. Spartacus & Oatmeal for DessertMy Profile

24 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 20, 2012 at 1:13 pm

haha. spread the word! SEEYATHERE.

25 Talia @ Bite Size Wellness January 19, 2012 at 9:25 pm

I was just telling my husband I was so bored of hearing the same jams on my iPod and contemplated coughing up some money for an iTunes card….just the inspiration I needed. I pinned your list so others can love it too. Thanks! And I love the burpees image…hilarious!

26 Rachel @ The Avid Appetite January 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm

there is NOTHING like a good workout playlist! I have to have updated, great music that I can’t wait to listen to in order to get through my workouts!
Rachel @ The Avid Appetite recently posted..Keepin’ it RealMy Profile

27 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry January 19, 2012 at 11:22 pm

Congrats on the refuel with milk gig! That is exciting. I voted for you tons o’ times :) Choco milk actually started sponsoring all my org’s basketball championships last year so we sometimes get a bunch of chocolate milk in my office. It’s a sweet deal.
I actually don’t mind burpees, but I haaaate pushups.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Another Day, Another Skating AdventureMy Profile

28 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 20, 2012 at 1:12 pm

i’m the opposite! gimme pushups any day.

29 Daner January 19, 2012 at 11:27 pm

1 year worth of cat-u fh burpess < 4 years worth of cat-u fh burpees AND 6 am workouts. :)

30 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss January 20, 2012 at 1:10 pm