The Ultimate Butt Workout

December 1, 2011 · 34 comments

Yesterday, I mentioned how I really missed lower body workouts during marathon training.

While completing serious mileage was my top priority, I deemed making my butt/legs sore a stupid idea. Seriously, trying to run 16 miles after completing a Tabata TNT class had me wishing for death.

There’s some discrepancy over this subject. The trainers at my gym scoffed at me, saying I should strengthen my legs for the marathon. I argued that if I continued to strengthen my legs, I was going to end up laid out on the sidewalk instead of dominating 18 mile long runs. In my defense, these trainers are not runners. THEY DON’T KNOW.

It’s simple math: sore muscles + running = hard.

(source)

I needed no reason to dislike running, and I chose to not make training harder on myself. I stuck to lots of running, core work, and upper body workouts with minimal legwork. And for the record, Jim agreed with me, saying it was smarter to not lift with my legs while running such high mileage. I listen to him. Usually.

And now?

Pin It

I’m going balls to the wall. Get ready for a sore (but rockin’) booty, girls.

If you need descriptions of these moves, I’ve included some youtube video demonstrations for you visual learners.

4. one-legged hip lift
6. side leg raises
7. step-ups onto bench
8. standing diagonal kickbacks (do what she’s doing, only kick back diagonally)
9. curtsy squat with weights
10. bridge hold with exercise ball (hold for 60 seconds)

Have fun! I want to hear all about how your new ‘donk brings all the boys to the yard.

P.S. I just added “‘donk” to my computer dictionary. I’m sick of spellcheck flagging it with the ugly red underline.

1 Katelyn @ Chef Katelyn December 1, 2011 at 6:16 am

Time for a tight ass, betches.

2 Amber K December 1, 2011 at 6:32 am

I’m constantly adding words to the dictionary, I can’t stand that red squiggly line!
Amber K recently posted..Hangry : Feed Me NowMy Profile

3 Marijke December 1, 2011 at 9:02 am

This looks KILLER. My glutes are going to hate meeeee.
Marijke recently posted..All about ME.My Profile

4 nicole marie December 1, 2011 at 10:01 am

one of my yoga clients recently exclaimed, “you broke my bum!”
i expect you shall receive similar feedback! πŸ˜‰

5 Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers December 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm

just pinned this workout!! can’t wait to try it!
Julie @ Peanut Butter Fingers recently posted..Rustic Warm Potato and Polenta SaladMy Profile

6 Hollie@lolzthatswim December 1, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I agree. I cannot handle doing any sort of workout for the glutes when I’m running. It causes more pain than anything else. The step aerobics at the Y are such a great workout since you essentially do like 500 step ups. πŸ™‚
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Keep your Friends Close<3My Profile

7 Chelcie @ Chelcie's Food Files December 1, 2011 at 1:51 pm

this looks intense! I love the pin-it button! can’t wait to try this out
Chelcie @ Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Mediterranean Quinoa SaladMy Profile

8 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry December 1, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Ohh this looks pretty hardcore for the ol’ bumoley. I am hitting up the gym after work, so I might try this puppy out!
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..15 Hours of FootballMy Profile

9 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts December 1, 2011 at 2:21 pm

haha donk πŸ™‚ nice.

Sounds like a butt kicking workout, might have to try it.
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Spaghetti with friendsMy Profile

10 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 1, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Hahahah adding “donk” to the dictionary is the best thing I’ve read all morning.

Try out Jillian Michaels’ Killer Buns & Thighs… It’s no joke, I’ve done only Level 1 and it left me sore for days.
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..Most important meal of the day?My Profile

11 Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans December 1, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Love it!! I am going to try this out tomorrow! Yay for sore legs πŸ™‚
Samantha @ Health, Happiness & Skinny Jeans recently posted..If I Dare to Dream…My Profile

12 Sami December 1, 2011 at 3:46 pm

i need to get my donk in gear and try this out.

13 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 1, 2011 at 4:46 pm

This just looks painful. But in a good way, of course.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Lightened Up – Low Fat Pumpkin Spice GranolaMy Profile

14 Molly @ Hungry Hungry Runner December 1, 2011 at 5:12 pm

I’m printing this workout out. My butt definitely needs it! πŸ™‚

15 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy December 1, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Nice. I’m totally doing this. I love kick-ass-ass workouts. Gravity be damned!
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..Great Decline (DIY Holiday Wreath)My Profile

16 Alexa @ Simple Eats December 1, 2011 at 11:14 pm

My booty needs a swift kick. Definitely gonna try this!
Alexa @ Simple Eats recently posted..PinterestMy Profile

17 Janelle December 1, 2011 at 11:51 pm

i have been looking for a new workout to kick my butt, and i love this! well, i love it now. i may have a different opinion when i’m trying to walk tomorrow morning.
Janelle recently posted..but first, coffee.My Profile

18 Kerry @ Half Healthy, Half Nuts December 2, 2011 at 12:24 am

YES! This is awesome, I have been looking for a good butt workout!

PS – Love the term donk. πŸ™‚

19 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile December 2, 2011 at 1:59 am

This workout looks like it will hurttttt but for the good! I’ll definitely try it πŸ˜€

20 Lindsay @ biking before bed December 2, 2011 at 2:57 am

This weekend looks fantastic. My cousin played Milk Shake as the first song at her wedding. It was classic.
Lindsay @ biking before bed recently posted..WIAW: Let the Holiday Baking Begin!My Profile

21 Nataliya @irunforicecream December 2, 2011 at 6:11 am

Sweet! Thanks for the workout! I just finished a 1/2 marathon and my booty also needs some kick in the butt (literally)! I’ll test your workout this weekend!

22 Katie December 3, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I just got home from the gym & did this workout! Jello legs already! The only thing I changed was calve raises instead of step ups & then for the bridge hold I just did 2 minutes of side planks!

23 Heather (Where's the Beach) December 4, 2011 at 9:39 pm

Yowzers – holy lunges! Love it though. I recently started adding in swing lunges and 3-point lunges (front, then side, then rear).

24 Geneva Mcguire December 9, 2011 at 11:34 pm

It was classic. I just got home from the gym & did this workout! But in a good way, of course. this looks intense!
Geneva Mcguire recently posted..Cancer Tattoos TumblrMy Profile

25 Marianne Washington February 20, 2012 at 6:07 am

i have been looking for a new workout to kick my butt, and i love this! I am hitting up the gym after work, so I might try this puppy out!
Marianne Washington recently posted..Many MopsMy Profile

26 Dana March 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Hey Alyssa,
One of your entries yesterday linked to this post but i’m not sure how often you check comments on older entries. It seems like no matter how many glute exercises I do (currently I do squats, lunges, bridges, and weighted hydrants), I just end up with sore quads the next day. What am I doing wrong? πŸ™‚

27 Dana March 6, 2012 at 12:52 pm

Oh and I should note…. sore quads would be fine if I had sore glutes, too. But nope.. just sore quads. kthanksbye.