Skinny Holiday Cocktails

December 15, 2011 · 23 comments

You’re looking for the perfect holiday cocktail for a holiday party, for girl’s night, or for taking the edge off of a long Thursday.

You know where to come.

Maybe it’s due to my short stint as a bartender, maybe it’s my slight cocktail A.D.D., or maybe it’s the fact that my signature skinny margarita isn’t exactly festive for the holidays: I like to make the holidays brighter with cocktails of the season.

And obviously, I’d prefer to leave the high fat content and sugar calories out of it.

I’ve compiled several of my favorite skinny holiday cocktail recipes for those of you over 21. Do I have to tell you to drink responsibly?

Spiked Almond Joy Hot Cocoa via Hungry Girl

This baby’s got only 124 calories, 0g fat, 160mg sodium, 12g carbs, 1g fiber, 10g sugars, 2g protein per serving.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. (3 tbsp.) coconut rum
1 packet Swiss Miss Sensible Sweets Diet Hot Cocoa Mix
1 drop almond extract
Optional: Fat Free Reddi-wip

Directions:
1. Prepare cocoa with 3/4 cup hot water according to package instructions.
2. Add the rum and one drop almond extract.
3. Stir and top with a generous squirt of Reddi-wip.

Just try it and tell me it’s not delicious. I dare you.

Skinny Peppermint Mojito

This is one of my favorite tricks – all you need to do is sub peppermint extract for lime and add some pretty mint garnishes.

Ingredients:
4 limes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup crushed mint leaves, plus 4 sprigs for garnish
1/4 cup Splenda (or sweetener of choice)
1 drop peppermint extract (a little goes a long way here)
16 oz lime sparkling water
6 oz white rum
Optional: candy cane/crushed peppermints/lime juice for garnish
Ice cubes

Directions:
1. Optional garnish: Dip glass rims in lime juice. Place crushed peppermint on a plate and dip sticky glass rims into the peppermint to cover
2. In a pitcher, place lime wedges, mint leaves, sugar and extract. Mash mint, sugar and peppermint extract into limes with a muddler or wooden spoon to release juice and blend flavors
3. Stir in sparkling water and rum
4. Divide evenly among 4 glasses filled with ice; garnish with mint sprigs and a candy cane.

Winter Wonderland Peppermintini via HungryGirl

Each one of these has 125 calories, 1.5g fat, 10mg sodium, 3g carbs, 0g fiber, 0g sugars, and 0g protein.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 oz. (3 tbsp.) 80-proof vodka
2 tsp. Coffee-mate Sugar Free French Vanilla powdered creamer
1 no-calorie sweetener packet (like Splenda)
1/4 tsp. peppermint extract
1 small candy cane for garnish
Ice cubes

Directions:

1. Place powdered creamer and sweetener in a glass. Add 1/4 cup warm water and stir to dissolve.
2. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice cubes. Add creamer mixture, vodka, and peppermint extract. Cover and shake well, until mixture is cold (if you don’t have a shaker, use two cups).
3. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with a candy cane.

Is that not the cutest cocktail in the whole world?

Hot Mulled Wine

I think I could drink this every day for the rest of my life. There’s something about it that screams “Christmas” to me. This recipe makes 6 servings.

Ingredients
6 Tbsp Splenda or sweetener of your choice
1/4 cup water
6 cups dry red wine (I like Cabernet in this)
10 whole cloves
~6 orange slices
~6 lemon slices
4-5 cinnamon sticks
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp cinnamon
(photo source)

Directions
1. Add all ingredients except wine to saucepan and heat slowly, stirring occasionally, until sugar is dissolved.
2. Stir in wine and continue heating until steaming (don’t let it boil).
3. Strain into 6 heated mugs.

OR, If you’d like to heat in the crockpot, cook on high for 2 hours or on low for 4.

Now, go impress all your friends at all your holiday parties. They’ll be so jealous of how skinny you stay during the holidays while you’re sippin’ on these delicious dranks.

What’s your favorite skinny holiday cocktail?

1 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts December 15, 2011 at 3:23 pm

I got one for ya.. I don’t have a fancy name for it tho.. It consists of Apple Cider, Grand Marnier and vodka :) We can call it Spiked Cider.. Does that count as a skinny cocktail?
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..I’m a PCMy Profile

2 Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe December 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Hungry Girl makes a mean skinny egg nog!
Janine @ThePurpleGiraffe recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday! (12/14/2011)My Profile

3 alyssa December 15, 2011 at 3:48 pm

Nothing beats whiskey on the rocks. I’m such a man.
alyssa recently posted..the proust questionnaire.My Profile

4 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm

wow. YOU are a champ.

5 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Rum and diet works all year round for me! :) I also like diet coke and cherry vodka for special occasions.
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Lightened Up – Buffalo {Chicken} Chickpea DipMy Profile

6 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 15, 2011 at 4:10 pm

have you tried cherry whipped vodka and diet? do it. seriously.

7 Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy December 15, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Uhhh now I want to start drinking and it’s not even noon.
Wait…what else is new. (Kidding. Kind of. )
Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy recently posted..A Hazy Shade of WinterMy Profile

8 Meg December 15, 2011 at 4:33 pm

We made mulled wine last night!! SOOOOO good, it is def my favorite holiday cocktail! Thanks for the recipes!

9 Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry December 15, 2011 at 4:52 pm

That hot mulled wine sounds amazing! I am so trying that.
My favourite skinny Christmas-esque drink is amaretto and cranberry juice – I LOVE it. Usually I just stick to beer and wine though.
Lindsey @ Happy or Hungry recently posted..Holiday Door DecoratingMy Profile

10 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 15, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I’ve never tried amaretto and cran. looks like I need to now. ;)

11 Sam December 15, 2011 at 5:03 pm

oh my yum. totally need 1 of each!! love being able to celebrate without the guilt :)

12 Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design December 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Oh man, I LOVE mulled cider for fall festivities, and red wine is on my top ten (top 5?) list of things I love in life….I am 100% making the mulled wine. SO Christmas.

My new favorite holiday drinks were made by a friend of mine for her Christmas party last week: in two huuuuge glass containers, she had 1. a mixture of Grand Marnier and champagne (swimming with cranberries and raspberries, so pretty) and 2. a pink-colored cranberry, apple, vodka, and ginger ale cocktail I had found on Pinterest. Dangerous.
Sam @ Sam Bock Illustration & Design recently posted..Pinteresting & Some Recent EatsMy Profile

13 Amber K December 15, 2011 at 6:02 pm

I usually just stick to vodka and diet lemon-lime pop, maybe I’ll crush a candy cane on top and pretend it’s for the holiday? ;)
Amber K recently posted..Sneaky Christmas MouseMy Profile

14 julie December 15, 2011 at 6:20 pm

i think hungry girl does a fab job in the drink dept but my skinny girl cocktail is grey goose on the rocks with a twist, none of that extra bologna that interfers with the point of the alcohol

oh whoops did i just say that?
julie recently posted..finding equilibrium during the holidays & just in lifeMy Profile

15 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss December 16, 2011 at 3:13 am

hahaha. haha. yes. to everything you just said.

16 nicole marie December 15, 2011 at 6:59 pm

my favourite EVERYDAY skinny cocktail is ‘the exbulimic dirty gin martini!’ directions here, mademoiselle! :)

the ex bulimic dirty gin martini
2.5 oz tanqueray gin
.5 oz vermouth, noilly prat french dry
1.25 oz olive juice (directly from the jar of olives!)
5 – 9 olives, depending on hunger
shake with 3 ice cubes
serve up, in a fabulous, frosted martini glass!

nicole marie recently posted..special news report from nicoleandgwendolyn headquartersMy Profile

17 Heather @ Run Eat Play December 15, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Peppermintini?! Sign me up!!

18 Lena @Fit on the Rocks December 15, 2011 at 11:25 pm

I’m lovin the skinny drinks! I had a green tea ginger spritzer the other week that was out of this world and only like 130 calories to boot. No clue how to make it, but I wish I knew how.
Lena @Fit on the Rocks recently posted..Bieber + Shake WeightsMy Profile

19 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 15, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Yum! All of those look so tasty! I love coffee-mocha type drinks with some Bailey’s added. With whipped cream. Of course.
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..M&M Cookies Rock.My Profile

20 Lea December 16, 2011 at 12:06 am

Yes, you do have to tell me to drink responsibly. :D

21 selenar December 16, 2011 at 8:55 pm

goodness i am soo tempted to just try out all of these, I absolutely love skinny cocktails…I would also highly suggest checking out the voli vodka hot cocoa…they have such a great recipe, def check it out girlies :)

22 Hollie@lolzthatswim December 19, 2011 at 3:08 am

Wow all these cocktails are fantastic and low in cals, count me in!
Hollie@lolzthatswim recently posted..Weekend FunMy Profile